Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bolton (H)
Discussion started by Goodison's Bicycle Kick (IP Logged), 11 August, 2019 18:52
Goodison's Bicycle Kick
Goodison's Bicycle Kick
11 August, 2019 18:52
Anyone else super excited for this game? I remember Fat Sam denouncing our facilities back in the day...

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
11 August, 2019 19:16
Quote:
Goodison's Bicycle Kick
Anyone else super excited for this game? I remember Fat Sam denouncing our facilities back in the day...

count me in mate....cant wait for this one
3 nil to tranmere... ferrier hat-trick(Sm152)

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
11 August, 2019 19:20
Quote:
Goodison's Bicycle Kick

the history of this fixture is immense.

we battled up from the lower leagues together. wembley 91, a group of bolton fan's van being destroyed by baseball bats after they went to the wrong part of birkenhead afeter a cancelled 80s game, john mcginley and david lee, travelling to burnden park one of the hairiest away trips you could contemplate, all the way to fat sam and them singing songs about us even when they were well into their premier league stay.

that game in april 95 when we we beat them in front of a packed PP and have the premier league in our hands, and a potential title decider v robson's boro on the last day was a stand out, if only for the way we proper tranmered the season up in the last 5 games.

but for me bolton has always been the biggest game of any season. and the drama surrounding their club only adds to the spice. cannot wait for this game

Goodison's Bicycle Kick
Goodison's Bicycle Kick
11 August, 2019 19:36
"but for me bolton has always been the biggest game of any season. and the drama surrounding their club only adds to the spice. cannot wait for this game"

I was always brought up to hate Bolton. Them, Wrexham, Crewe and (weirdly) any Nottingham teams. If we don't absolutely snot these on Saturday and send them home crying, we've done something terribly wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 19:39 by Goodison's Bicycle Kick.

gary anderson
gary anderson
12 August, 2019 07:03
As much as I don't want to see any football club go out of business but they got them self's into the mess there in so let's hope we can take advantage and get the 3 points and help our goal difference. And our forwards can find the net and start to install confidence so 2.0 for me .and if Bolton fall out of league as bury may do so be it and the same for bury .tranmere is my concern and my only concern

BELMONT
BELMONT
12 August, 2019 09:08
Most likely Bolton will have seven or eight new players who we couldn't afford signed on by Friday
they have the knack of spending 💰 money they haven't got.

Kentexile
Kentexile
12 August, 2019 09:54
I think it will be a really exciting game. Bolton's kids kept Coventry at bay last week and they'll be well up for this - nothing to lose and a big chance to impress before they make the numbers up, and I would expect in front of a massive and noisy away end.
If we play like we did at Portsmouth I would expect us to win, but anything less and we could be in for a nasty surprise.
I'm going for 2-0 to us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 09:55 by Kentexile.

BELMONT
BELMONT
12 August, 2019 15:36
Quote:
Kentexile
I think it will be a really exciting game. Bolton's kids kept Coventry at bay last week and they'll be well up for this - nothing to lose and a big chance to impress before they make the numbers up, and I would expect in front of a massive and noisy away end.
If we play like we did at Portsmouth I would expect us to win, but anything less and we could be in for a nasty surprise.
I'm going for 2-0 to us.

Bolton indeed did keep Coventry at bay but think they had little bit of the footballing god's on their side as Coventry had three goals disallowed,once is good twice very good fortune three something was on Bolton's side.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
13 August, 2019 07:20
Quote:
BELMONT
Most likely Bolton will have seven or eight new players who we couldn't afford signed on by Friday

Aren’t they under embargo until the transfer of ownership is completed?

Kentexile
Kentexile
13 August, 2019 07:32
Quote:
BELMONT
Quote:
Kentexile
I'm going for 2-0 to us.

Bolton indeed did keep Coventry at bay but think they had little bit of the footballing god's on their side as Coventry had three goals disallowed,once is good twice very good fortune three something was on Bolton's side.

Yes, Coventry were pretty unlucky. You could also point out that Portsmouth had the ball in the net against us 5 times (3 offsides) and hit the post.

ADD
ADD
13 August, 2019 08:15
rumours that some of their senior players have made themselves available for Carabao Cup tonight - typical they will likely be at full strength by Saturday...

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven
13 August, 2019 08:47
Quote:
ADD
rumours that some of their senior players have made themselves available for Carabao Cup tonight - typical they will likely be at full strength by Saturday...

Most likely not. Can't see too many of the old players turning out until the wage situation is resolved. The kids did OK on Saturday but most will also be playing tonight, they don't normally play more than once a week so fitness may be an issue on Saturday. I expect they will park the bus at PP so its up to our forwards to break them down, I think most of us will be expecting a good win by at least 2 goals.

gary anderson
gary anderson
13 August, 2019 08:57
I have learnt not to expect anything in football .I would like to think we can get our first points on the board Saturday but as they are full of kids we are full of new signings who are learning about each other and mm still as yet don't know his best side so let's hope we start to gel and get the points

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 08:58 by gary anderson.

BELMONT
BELMONT
13 August, 2019 10:01
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
BELMONT

Aren’t they under embargo until the transfer of ownership is completed?

Yes but it only takes a signature and money transfer and a press of a button to send information of the takeover to the EFL and twenty four hours later it's done and dusted and the EFL seem to be leaning towards Bolton more so than other teams perhaps.

Still hopefully it won't happen till next week let's get our game out of the way first it would be a good chance to get our first win in the league under our belt. Mind you if we get beat it will be melt on our football forums on Monday.

the kav
the kav
13 August, 2019 18:22
Big gate. Trotters should bring over 2000 and Bolton always attract the casual rovers supporter.

Just need to bully the young lads and our quality will show through. Hit them hard and early do not let them into the game... perkins and banks need to hammer anything that moves in the midfield let them know we are there. They will panic and make mistakes

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
14 August, 2019 12:03
After last nights shambolic first-half display maybe we shouldn't get too carried away with how we will hammer Bolton this Saturday !
Yes, it's early days, and most of us realise that the team needs more time to bed itself in, but we aren't even doing the basics that well at the moment. Not sure MM knows what his best starting 11 are, and our lack of quality in front of goal is problematic.
Some of the new lads that have come in may be able to help the team along, but others, at the moment, seem a bit of a waste of a contract.
I have my doubts about Payne, Ray, Ponticelli and maybe even Potter, and we will have to see how Woods performs when he is back to fitness.
We know however, that Sid and Manny did ok together last season, and Scotty seemed more confident with them in front of him.
Rides really seems to be struggling at the moment, and maybe this step up is a step too far for him now ?
I think it's a shame that Jay did not stay at the club because he did give pretty solid performances, and currently we seem a bit lightweight down the middle.
It's a bit concerning, hopefully it will all click soon, but if it doesn't MM will have to try to come up with something to help keep us in L1.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
14 August, 2019 12:18
Fully agree Longstanding. Ponticelli looks like he has won a talent competition to train and play with a football side and he cant believe his luck. Initially thought Ray looked good but also having doubts, id be happier with Nelson back in

smithy43
smithy43
14 August, 2019 12:43
Quote:
Uptonrover
Fully agree Longstanding. Ponticelli looks like he has won a talent competition to train and play with a football side and he cant believe his luck. Initially thought Ray looked good but also having doubts, id be happier with Nelson back in

+1 but MM last night on Ray: "I thought Ray put a great performance in for the whole 90 and showed what a good young centre half he is" .. suggests Ray's place in the team is nailed on for now. Think Sid deserves a go, thought it was unfair to drop him when he had to play RB

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 August, 2019 12:57
Quote:
smithy43
Quote:
Uptonrover

+1 but MM last night on Ray: "I thought Ray put a great performance in for the whole 90 and showed what a good young centre half he is" .. suggests Ray's place in the team is nailed on for now. Think Sid deserves a go, thought it was unfair to drop him when he had to play RB

Interesting quote that. Possibly reverse psychology, making a player feel good when about to be dropped! Not knocking Ray but I'd certainly welcome Sid back at centre half.

DevonExile
DevonExile
14 August, 2019 13:17
So much is being made of new players bedding in but in the lower divisions with so many short contracts and use of loans that is a common place situation. When it comes to the Bolton game our preparation got the season has been far more stable and we have far fewer new faces on show. If we do not take all the points on Satirday at would mean considering the possibility that the team is just not good enough. One game will not answer the question but it could justify at least considering that possibility.
As others have posted it is yet to be seen whether Woods and Potter are good additions and Pontecelli is already looking as if he is just not up to it. Caprice's injury is a blow and the long term absence of Ellis likewise, but I am not sure that any of these are significant factors in terms of our form. Nor is it just the new names that have questions makes against them. Rides and Banks for example, have looked to be struggling and the formers defensive frailties were often apparent even two divisions lower.
A loss on Saturday would further raise question marks

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 August, 2019 13:27
Quote:
DevonExile
If we do not take all the points on Satirday at would mean considering the possibility that the team is just not good enough. One game will not answer the question but it could justify at least considering that possibility.

From comments on here, social media etc the majority of Rovers fans would be happy to survive this division this season. That in itself tells you most of us are acutely aware of the possibility we might not be good enough. It'll be a few months before we can start drawing conclusions about that though, even if we thump Bolton on Saturday.

DevonExile
DevonExile
14 August, 2019 14:03
I do not disagree with that, my point was that a defeat would add weight to the question but it would not answer the question. I also agree that the majority would,rightly, settle for staying up with a struggle. There are some however who seem convinced that the only problem is that it is early season and all is just part of the team gelling

Zint
Zint
15 August, 2019 08:31
Here is my analysis

- Win on Saturday - heading for low mid table safety
- Draw on Saturday - relegation battle
- Loose on Saturday - Relegation candidates

Of course, nothing is decided in August but this is a deffo six pointer. Most fans, in a poll I did on the Cowsheds site, reckon we will struggle but survive this season (poll taken before Kick off in the Dale game). I tend to agree with them. I also have sympathy with some of the views expressed that we came up a season too soon, albeit I am delighted to be back in League 1.

The problem for me is the two most critical parts of the pitch, defence and attack, look unsettled at the moment. Ferrier had a good game on Tuesday and I am hoping he can have an impact on Saturday. CBT also showed promise. However, it’s a team game and, as we are learning, at this level the team have to be at their best from kick-off to the final whistle.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 August, 2019 08:42
Hopefully Ferrier plays because just before he got subbed Tuesday, he landed funny and jarred his right knee. He was by the bench and said he needed to come off. Played on for a few mins but was then subbed

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
15 August, 2019 08:59
Not particularly bothered at the final score, as long as we play well and win our first league game.

BELMONT
BELMONT
15 August, 2019 09:09
We need that win on Saturday to stop losing four on the trot not good,a win will put us 15 pts ahead of Bolton get beat it's down to 9pts too close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2019 09:10 by BELMONT.

ADD
ADD
15 August, 2019 09:23
Quote:
BELMONT
We need that win on Saturday to stop losing four on the trot not good,a win will put us 15 pts ahead of Bolton get beat it's down to 9pts too close.
They drew against Coventry so would be 14 points or 8 points....

BELMONT
BELMONT
15 August, 2019 09:48
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
BELMONT
They drew against Coventry so would be 14 points or 8 points....

Oh @#$%& forgot about that there more successful than we've been so they will be nearer to us than I thought.(Sm16)

gary anderson
gary anderson
15 August, 2019 10:49
Why are we looking at this game as the one the decides our season if we win great if we draw it's a point if we lose we ate not related .it's our 4 th game in a new league with new players geling together we have 43 games to go .but we seem to think if we lose Saturday we are doomed .

BELMONT
BELMONT
15 August, 2019 11:03
Quote:
gary anderson
Why are we looking at this game as the one the decides our season if we win great if we draw it's a point if we lose we ate not related .it's our 4 th game in a new league with new players geling together we have 43 games to go .but we seem to think if we lose Saturday we are doomed .

It's our third game in the league on Saturday don't think any one is thinking we're doomed but as fan's we tend to think around ten games in may tell our fate for the season.

Yes as I stated it's our third game trouble is not winning on Saturday is another game ticked off and before you know it the tenth game comes around before you realize so the sooner we kick on the better.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 August, 2019 11:15
I think the main issue is if we cant beat a team of kids with virtually no experience, then it doesnt bode well for the rest of the season

smithy43
smithy43
15 August, 2019 11:18
Quote:
gary anderson

it's a proper marker game in my opinion. If we fail to beat Bolton's kids (no disrespect) then our confidence would be on the floor, but to me it's a great oppurtunity to pick up 3 points, find the net and take the pressure off & kickstart the season somewhat. Also I'd suspect in a months time they'll have 11 senior professionals playing so beating them then would become a lot more difficult. so we should be grateful we're one of the teams playing them now ( & not in a months time) and have a much better chance of getting a win!!

That being said they will be right up for it and it will be no gimme. Imperative we take our chances when they arrive and the back 5 actually talk to each other

BELMONT
BELMONT
15 August, 2019 11:35
Quote:
smithy43
Quote:
gary anderson

it's a proper marker game in my opinion. If we fail to beat Bolton's kids (no disrespect) then our confidence would be on the floor, but to me it's a great oppurtunity to pick up 3 points, find the net and take the pressure off & kickstart the season somewhat. Also I'd suspect in a months time they'll have 11 senior professionals playing so beating them then would become a lot more difficult. so we should be grateful we're one of the teams playing them now ( & not in a months time) and have a much better chance of getting a win!!

That being said they will be right up for it and it will be no gimme. Imperative we take our chances when they arrive and the back 5 actually talk to each other

Yes you are right in what you say, we're playing against team perhaps with few senior players plus younger players but if those in Bolton's team step up a pace or two with speed and determination against a team who walk on the pitch thinking it's in the bag walk around the pitch and before you know it you're two down in the first six minutes it's not going to be easy.

So come on Tranmere be fired up for this one, once you step on the pitch stick one past their keeper in the first five minutes and go for it.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 August, 2019 12:27
By all accounts this Bolton side has been very competitive for the first hour or so of their matches before fading towards the end. We should win but this has got banana skin all over it and we may need to be patient. Any noticeable anxiety in the stands or amongst the team will play right into their hands.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 August, 2019 13:04
To be fair to them what have Bolton got to lose? At worst they get picked up by another club

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 August, 2019 13:10
Just under 7,000 sold so far, 1780 away sold. Could hopefully be on for 10,000

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
15 August, 2019 13:12
Quote:
Zint
Here is my analysis
- Win on Saturday - heading for low mid table safety
- Draw on Saturday - relegation battle
- Loose on Saturday - Relegation candidates

Of course, nothing is decided in August but this is a deffo six pointer. Most fans, in a poll I did on the Cowsheds site, reckon we will struggle but survive this season (poll taken before Kick off in the Dale game). I tend to agree with them. I also have sympathy with some of the views expressed that we came up a season too soon, albeit I am delighted to be back in League 1.

The problem for me is the two most critical parts of the pitch, defence and attack, look unsettled at the moment. Ferrier had a good game on Tuesday and I am hoping he can have an impact on Saturday. CBT also showed promise. However, it’s a team game and, as we are learning, at this level the team have to be at their best from kick-off to the final whistle.

If we are loose on Saturday - we will lose

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
15 August, 2019 20:04
Surely Bolton are favourites for this one given they have already picked up points. Id take a goalless draw and run if i was Micky.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan
15 August, 2019 21:47
Its looking like the Bolton youth team have already got a good bond and are picking up points, so a win ain’t going to be so easy

gary anderson
gary anderson
16 August, 2019 06:48
No game is easy if you ever go out there and think easy game here and just go through the motions you will get beat I am sure mm knows that and our players know that .so let's just hope we play well enough to register our first points of the season .

jonesy792
jonesy792
16 August, 2019 07:50
Mullin, Ferrier and Blackett Taylor as a front three and we’ll cause them problems.

Need to drop Morris. Solid player but IMO doesn’t do enough up front to warrant being favoured over one of the above.

Jenno perhaps as the advanced midfielder ahead of Perkins and Banks or Potter

goosed
goosed
16 August, 2019 10:53
If we get beat on saturday i think there is something wrong with our team i know its not the best team and the only one we cud get together with the money we have .....in this league....but we need wins to stay in this league unless any of us want us back in league 2 with everyone laughing at us again

AndyMase
AndyMase
17 August, 2019 08:16
Bolton are 7/1 to win today so even the bookies are giving them little chance

BELMONT
BELMONT
17 August, 2019 09:07
Think I would start with Mullin today as main striker based on if we're playing a side of no senior player's bar two or three . The main reason being Mullin is an older head than some of our other players and this could count also perhaps bit like Norwood's approach to the game.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
17 August, 2019 09:20
Plus if he hits a few goals , bit of confidence may start next few games and knock a few more in

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
17 August, 2019 09:32
Just read on a Bolton orientated site that they're down to the bare bones, carrying injuries. Their medical staff voiced concerns the pressure being put on their youngsters could have adverse affects. They considered having the game suspended.
Anyone though can be organised and stick ten men behind the ball, and as we're struggling to score I think it could be 0-0 or 1-0.
But don't think whatever the result it will have much bearing on the season. Remember last season when we were eight points adrift of the play-offs. Suddenly seven wins got us back there and the rest is history. It's a marathon not a sprint!

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 10:38
Cmon the Rovers! 3 pts on the board today, please.

BELMONT
BELMONT
17 August, 2019 11:12
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
Just read on a Bolton orientated site that they're down to the bare bones, carrying injuries. Their medical staff voiced concerns the pressure being put on their youngsters could have adverse affects. They considered having the game suspended.
Anyone though can be organised and stick ten men behind the ball, and as we're struggling to score I think it could be 0-0 or 1-0.
But don't think whatever the result it will have much bearing on the season. Remember last season when we were eight points adrift of the play-offs. Suddenly seven wins got us back there and the rest is history. It's a marathon not a sprint!

Yes but we don't want to be sitting in our deck chair whilst the rest of the teams are legging it round the race track.(Sm60)

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
17 August, 2019 12:25
Quote:
Prenton Pirate

It is a long season but we need points, the longer we go without a win the more it becomes a thing and the harder it becomes to register the W.

ADD
ADD
17 August, 2019 13:07
Jennings in for Potter. Terrier up front alone? But unexpiring against a bunch of kids. No sign of Chelsea loanee?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
17 August, 2019 13:18
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
smithy43
Quote:
Uptonrover

Interesting quote that. Possibly reverse psychology, making a player feel good when about to be dropped! Not knocking Ray but I'd certainly welcome Sid back at centre half.

If we want the team to gel we have to play the same team, pick 11 and stick with them barring unavailability

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 14:39
YESSS 1 up Ollie Banks, cmon Rovers!

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 14:41
Yessss 2 up get in Rovers!

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 14:42
Ferrier , well done lad.

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
17 August, 2019 14:54
Quote:
hong kong rover
Ferrier , well done lad.
Get in there hkr
Come on Rovers

“Physical reality is actually a mirror: Your physical reality is just a reflection of what you most strongly believe to be true. And like a mirror, physical reality will not change unless you change first”

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 14:56
Quote:
Shaumbra
Quote:
hong kong rover
Ferrier , well done lad.
Get in there hkr
Come on Rovers

nice one Shaumbra, happy days!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 August, 2019 14:58
ferreir playing like a man possessed. really happy with him, never stops fighting and has a nasty streak i like to see in a forward.

bolton are woeful, feel sorry for the kids, they are hopelessly outmatched by a much cannier and physically bigger team.

jennings much happier in this more attacking system.

be interesting to see how we line up against an adult team, though

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 15:06
Quote:
mrGr33n13
ferreir playing like a man possessed. really happy with him, never stops fighting and has a nasty streak i like to see in a forward.
bolton are woeful, feel sorry for the kids, they are hopelessly outmatched by a much cannier and physically bigger team.

jennings much happier in this more attacking system.

be interesting to see how we line up against an adult team, though

thks MrG….3 up now, Ferrier with his 2nd goal

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 15:08
Come on Rovers, lets have a 4th goal, we will have a positive goal diff, then.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 August, 2019 15:20
Bolton fan stops Davies taking a goal kick. Is allowed to run around the pitch for a full minute. their fans now kicking off in the paddock corner.

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
17 August, 2019 15:23
4 nil....jennings

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 15:24
4 up yessss

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
17 August, 2019 15:24
Hope ferrier gets hattrick today.... come on son..... come on Rovers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2019 20:16 by Shaumbra.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 August, 2019 15:25
Ferrier is off.

Mullin and Payne are on

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 15:28
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Bolton fan stops Davies taking a goal kick. Is allowed to run around the pitch for a full minute. their fans now kicking off in the paddock corner.

Brilliant! the Bolton fans are p*ssed off, hehehe.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 15:35
5-0 woo hoo, on yer bike Bolton!

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
17 August, 2019 15:36
5 nil now..... come on Rovers, shame ferrier got subbed

MoanerLesser
letthestatstellthetruth
17 August, 2019 15:38
So Muilin is suffering from Back Payne now 😁

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 August, 2019 15:39
He was being targeted by their players. He should have been sent off for a horror tackles first half. It was to protect him more than anything

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 August, 2019 15:47
Perkins and Morris have to be separated by the ref and Scotty gets a grip of morris. Seems like a very heated argument

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 15:55
Well done Rovers! so we head off to Bristol Rovers on Tues night, they have had a poor start to the season.

dnors
dnors
17 August, 2019 15:59
Cracking result that kids or not! Just the confidence boost we needed, any ideas on attendance? Couldn't be there today as.got a third birthday party with the Mrs and then the gin jaunt

warren r
Wozza
17 August, 2019 16:08
Quote:
dnors
Cracking result that kids or not! Just the confidence boost we needed, any ideas on attendance? Couldn't be there today as.got a third birthday party with the Mrs and then the gin jaunt
couldnt go today jet lagged watched on ifollow yesterday I saw there was 9000 presales

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
17 August, 2019 16:12
Can only beat whats in front of you. Little boost for the players confidence. Finally finding the net and any win against Bolton is a good one. All played well. Ferrier for his two goals (second was class) was MOM for me although a few ran him very close. Saw Morris and Perkins getting pulled apart but didnt see what caused it. Only slight annoyance would be the amount of silly uncalled for fouls we gave away. One last thing- why was the Bolton muppet allowed to dance around the pitch for what seemed like ages before any steward did anything about it. Poor show from stewards that.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
17 August, 2019 16:52
Great result, confidence boosting 2 forwards scoring!

Zint
Zint
17 August, 2019 16:54
The result was the most important thing today, but 5-0 is more a reflection of how lightweight Bolton were, rather than how great we played.

Ferrier was lucky not to get a red. It wasn’t that his foul was particularly bad, it was clumsy, it was that it came just after he had been dispossessed by a Bolton player. Also, what was the fracas towards the end between Perkins & Morris? And why did Banks not respect Scotty’s role as Captain.

Onwards and upwards but still lots of questions unanswered.

MESSAGES->author
ElvisTRFC
17 August, 2019 17:03
Good result today. As previously mentioned, you can only beat the team that's in front of you.

O/T Norwood gets a GOOAAL for Ipswich.

DevonExile
DevonExile
17 August, 2019 17:09
I suspect that the Bolton side may have been the weakest ever fielded for a Div 1 fixture. If we had lost it would have been catastrophic for confidence. As it is, it does not tell us much about how well equipped we for this division but it does release a bit of pressure and that can only be for the good.
At least it has sorted out the goal difference. It will be interesting to see on Tuesday if it gives a positive injection to play.
Unless Bolton are in a position soon to sign players they could be out of totally out touch of others by November

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
17 August, 2019 17:17
Bolton hardly that much of a push over, Wycombe only won 2-0 and Coventry drew! Great win today u still have to beat the 11 in front of you, thought the first cane at a good time just before the break, longer they held out for the harder it would have got and the second just after was even better timed and killed them off.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
17 August, 2019 17:17
Well needed 3points and thank god for them ,but let’s not get carried away .a very weak under strength Bolton team .lets hope it continues at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday .probably no game next Saturday against Bury ,

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
17 August, 2019 17:20
Up to 13th and a big game ay Bristol on Tuesday, they are struggling so a good chance for an away win.

So good back in this league, Old rivalries re-born, Bolton today and a mini rivalry with Bristol on Tuesday!

MoanerLesser
letthestatstellthetruth
17 August, 2019 17:45
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Well needed 3points and thank god for them ,but let’s not get carried away .a very weak under strength Bolton team .lets hope it continues at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday .probably no game next Saturday against Bury ,

But people got carried away with the "end of days" when we lost a few games! Works both ways.

Coventry didn't beat Bolton, so clearly they underperformed.

However, the aim is to gel, improve and hopefully bed in to this league. And as others have said, you can only try and beat the team you play against.the goals should help with confidence. After 52 years of watching Tranmere, I can cope with a less than perfect first year back at league one. And without getting carried away , which is why I wasn't moaning after the poor start.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
17 August, 2019 17:53
A win is a win at the end of the day. Happy with the outcome.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

ADD
ADD
17 August, 2019 18:13
Quote:
Matt34
A win is a win at the end of the day. Happy with the outcome.
Agreed - almost impossible to judge the performance today given how weak the opposition was. If I was to hazard a guess I would say that we did not play that great considering but then it is what it is and great that Morgan got a couple.
The main thing is 3 points.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
17 August, 2019 18:19
I thought the result said more about Bolton than it did us so let’s get to 10 games and see where we are by then ,hopefully we will be up and running .one swallow does not make a summer .what did some politician say about the economy one time .the first green shoots

kennyspint
kennyspint
17 August, 2019 18:56
Job done today and nice to relax for the last thirty minutes

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
17 August, 2019 18:59
Important to get the win regardless of the situation with Bolton, which is none of our doing. Did think that, on the whole, the Bolton support was terrific today; I'd like to think we'd be as passionate and committed under such crappy circumstances; every team has it's share of muppet followers, but don't let that overshadow the majority of genuine, die-hard followers. The "kids" kept us at bay for a while, with the first save from their keeper coming on 32 minutes, but as seems to be the pattern, they ran out of guile. Of course there'll be tougher games, but it'll inject a huge amount of confidence into the team.
Perkins was having a pop at Morris who tried to be clever on the ball, but gave it away.
It's the type of atmosphere and rivalry that gives spice to life; I for one would like to see Bolton stick around so we can enjoy more of the same. However, it was strangely subdued for a time, from a Tranmere perspective, once we were out of sight; perhaps it was just a bit of perspective on the fact that we weren't playing the strongest of Bolton sides, even a little bit of empathy (or is that just the humanist in me!).

trfc-boi
trfc-boi
17 August, 2019 19:26
the Bolton boss let fly after the final whistle, condemning the decision to let the game go ahead.

Parkinson and his medical staff wrote to the EFL voicing concern at the physical toll taken on his young players but was told the game would not be suspended.

“Asking young players to go again is not right,” he fumed. “We sent an email to the EFL explaining our concerns about the welfare of the young players playing these games in quick succession. We were told we had to play the game.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
17 August, 2019 19:38
As I posted before the game, it was a win and a decent performance which I was looking for. To be honest, we could and should have had more goals but, that's being greedy.

Whilst Ferrier can count himself lucky to stay on the pitch, there was IMO an even worst Bolton tackle on I think it was Manny, where he deliberately raked him down his achillle's after loosing the ball that, was a definite red.

Hopefully a confidence booster for Tuesday night

The flare up came about with Morris doing a bit of showboating and putting Sid in trouble and Perks let him know about. Reinforces the opinion of an outfield captain?

kennyspint
kennyspint
17 August, 2019 19:42
Yup on Mannie. This was a kick, Ferriers was late. Both red on another day

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
17 August, 2019 20:18
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Perkins and Morris have to be separated by the ref and Scotty gets a grip of morris. Seems like a very heated argument

what happened between perkins and morris Mr G ????

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
17 August, 2019 20:25
Quote:
Shaumbra
Quote:
mrGr33n13

what happened between perkins and morris Mr G ????

should or read Phils post
"Perkins was having a pop at Morris who tried to be clever on the ball, but gave it away."

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
17 August, 2019 20:31
Bolton's youngsters deserved a standing ovation at the final whistle.....well done for your efforts and commitment against men.
Having played football at different levels and knowing the gulf in leagues is immense I commend their efforts.

We played the first 35 mins playing balls into the box hoping somebody would be on the end of them instead of actually trying to pick a man out.

Morris continues to try to pull the ball back with his studs, no where near good enough at this level....can't get to the bye line and cross a ball with any quality. A real weak link in the team.

On a plus we got the 3 points and quite rightly so or we may have been reduced to football embarrassment. Our next test against men will again prove what we can offer at this level.

kennyspint
kennyspint
17 August, 2019 21:08
Sorry disagree about Morris always an outlet with skill

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
17 August, 2019 21:24
Hey, that's fine kennyspint.....footballs all about opinions.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 August, 2019 21:31
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
The flare up came about with Morris doing a bit of showboating and putting Sid in trouble and Perks let him know about. Reinforces the opinion of an outfield captain?

the opposite. perkins showed you dont need an armband to lead.

why people think the captain has mystical powers is beyond me. its a symbolic / administrative role that literally doesnt matter on the pitch

still torn on morris. thought he had a decent game, but im not sold on him completely

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
17 August, 2019 21:57
Morris probably had one of his better games for us. Again still not 100% on him. An upgrade on Pringle and deep down i do think theres a decent player in there

MESSAGES->author
ElvisTRFC
17 August, 2019 22:13

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 August, 2019 22:21
Quote:
kennyspint
Sorry disagree about Morris always an outlet with skill

I agree, gives good balance to the team too. Just think sometimes he could create more danger than he does.

Job done today, important to get points on the board sooner rather than later and should help with the confidence. Ferrier's 2nd goal was excellent - awareness, strength, skill and finish - and he was my MOM. 50/50 for me on the possible red card.

No complaints after a 5-0 but slightly disappointed we let our professionalism slip a bit towards the end - the argument, Mullin's handball, some sloppy play in midfield etc - though the game was obviously won by then.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
17 August, 2019 22:46
the goals are already up on you tube, I liked Ferriers 2nd goal just after the interval, he brought it down well and had the strength power n determination to shrug off the Bolton defender and put it away nicely.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.