Latest news:

Newport County v Tranmere
Discussion started by Rovers90 (IP Logged), 22 May, 2019 14:45
Rovers90
Rovers90
22 May, 2019 14:45
So it’s Wednesday.... not long to go how are we all feeling? Nervous? Excitement?

How do you think the game will go on Saturday?

For us to have a chance in my view we need to keep Jamille Matt & Pádraig Amond quiet, our defending at set pieces and the additional long throws from Mickey Demetriou need to be spot on. Looking at highlights from the Mansfield game this caused the Stags a fair few issues.

What is everyone else’s views?

the baldy one
the baldy one
22 May, 2019 15:38
as it stands I think it is to close to call. 1 goal either way. our ex player joss Labadie has been passed fit to play for Newport on Saturday. I think you are correct- if we keep amond and matt quiet plus dolan we will win. going back to the mid 1970s - the last 10 times we have played Newport county we have won 4 and lost 3. I will go for a 2-1 win for Tranmere with james Norwood getting the winning goal.

warren r
Wozza
22 May, 2019 16:43
2-0 rovers Perkins Jennings you heard it here first

TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay
22 May, 2019 17:27
If Labadie's playing he may get a rush of blood and get sent off after 47 seconds...

...nah, that could never happen in a Wembley final(Sm14)

Bored rover
Bored rover
22 May, 2019 17:31
I have no view on any possible result. League form means nothing. In terms of playoff finals we seem to loose one win one so history would say it’s not our year. But Play off finals are a totally unpredictable game, even just to look at the two of us being in the final could bring a fair argument from neutrals that neither of us deserve it having finished lowest in the league. It’s imperative we stay solid for the first 20 minutes and then not play ourselves out of the game in the remainder of the half, even if we go one down. I just hope the lads picked for the team don’t let the occasion pass them by and come Monday evening whatever the result can look back knowing they gave it everything. We have good experience in the side to draw upon from the last year in Davies, Ridehlagh, Manny, Harris, Connor and Nors but Newport are an excellent cup side who have had some excellent recent cup runs and Man City’s 4-1 flattered City.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
22 May, 2019 18:25
Before the playoffs I predicted a narrow home win in the first leg of the semi, a draw in the away leg and defeat at Wembley. Don't think I've ever got three predictions in a row right so I'd best stick with that!

Haven't seen Newport this season but I believe they're a bit hoofball. They do have a good cup record too, always handy for a one off game. It'll be tough but it's very winnable.

Just wonder, though, if adrenalin might make the difference. We've got the Wembley experience but the last two years have been must-win games with the club's future riding on it. This time there's less pressure and the novelty has worn off, but with it being Newport's first playoff final it might just give them that extra 1% that only adrenalin can bring out of a team. I've no doubt our lads will be well prepared and will give everything but sometimes it can come down to those fine margins. Or I might just be talking through my hat!

Uglybob
Uglybob
22 May, 2019 19:39
We're gonna win - simple . When is my glass ever half empty ?!?! smiling smiley

kennyspint
kennyspint
22 May, 2019 22:07
Quote:
If Labadie's playing he may get a rush of blood and get sent off after 47 seconds...

...nah, that could never happen in a Wembley final(Sm14)
Liked him when he was our player but to be honest I hope he doesn't dive for the winning penalty because he does have form

kennyspint
kennyspint
22 May, 2019 22:08
btw Twelth are you coming to Wembley

mill park white
mill park white
23 May, 2019 07:53
Very confident in a comfortable 3-0 win for SWA as long as we play keep ball and don't get sucked into a hoofing contest.

Kentexile
Kentexile
23 May, 2019 08:13
Nervous and excited sums it up pretty well. This week is crawling by so slowly.

Any views on the line-up? Will he make any tactical changes to throw off for the element of surprise, like Pringle in and back to 4-4-1-1? My guess is no, and he will go for the exact same starting 11 and bench as the 2nd leg at FGR.

Bored rover
Bored rover
23 May, 2019 08:52
Quote:
mill park white
Very confident in a comfortable 3-0 win for SWA as long as we play keep ball and don't get sucked into a hoofing contest.

Really hope you are right but I can’t see that personally, they have done really well against us this season in both games, restricting out passing style of play, closing down the space and really nullified is in both games coming out 0-1 and 0-0. I think we are destined for extra time on saturday

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
23 May, 2019 09:00
Did you notice my reverse psychology for the semi -finals doom and gloom everywhere but we won ,so 2-1 to Newport

DevonExile
DevonExile
23 May, 2019 09:23
Against a strong Manchester City Newport played really well and certainly nothing like hoof all as has been described here. In the second leg against Mansfield they also showed that they are an energetic and attacking side. We can win but we will need to play at our best for they are no push over.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
23 May, 2019 09:38
Yes spot on Devon ,I had Mansfield down as eventual winners but Newport done a job on them ,they are a really good side and an excellent manager the players want to play for him I really hope it does not go to penalties

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
23 May, 2019 11:29
Hopefully not the dreaded penalty's. Who would be our first five? Possibly Norwood, Jennings, Manny, Banks and Perkins? Or perhaps as Captain, Davies would take one

ming05
ming05
23 May, 2019 11:37
1-1 penos lose

spralos baldini
spralos baldini
23 May, 2019 12:27
Sorry, but I've got us down to lose 2-1. They are playing well, they played well against the Champions of England, they played batter than us twice - when we played them - and being a Rovers supporter I'm not used to celebrating two seasons in a row!

gary anderson
gary anderson
23 May, 2019 12:29
I agree they are a decent side but then so are we .in a final most times form counts for nothing so though I admit it could go either way I am going for a 2.1 win for rovers .cmon lads have faith be positive we can do this

spralos baldini
spralos baldini
23 May, 2019 12:34
Quote:
gary anderson
I agree they are a decent side but then so are we .in a final most times form counts for nothing so though I admit it could go either way I am going for a 2.1 win for rovers .cmon lads have faith be positive we can do this
You've inspired me, GA, I've change my mind. I'll go for 2-0 win! SWA - probably change my mind again tomorrow, then Saturday morning, then half hour to KO, then 10 mins to KO, then 5 mins to KO and then again 5 mintues nin to the game.(Sm124)

gary anderson
gary anderson
23 May, 2019 13:09
Quote:
spralos baldini
Quote:
gary anderson
You've inspired me, GA, I've change my mind. I'll go for 2-0 win! SWA - probably change my mind again tomorrow, then Saturday morning, then half
hour to KO, then 10 mins to KO, then 5 mins to KO and then again 5 mintues nin to the game.(Sm124)
Great that's the idea get behind the team we are the 12th man if we show them on the day we believe in them inspire them to give 100% for 90 mins .we are the best supporters in the league and on Saturday we can decentd on wembley again and cheer our boys to anotjer promotion we the 12th man are important to the team and they will do us proud

pez
pez
23 May, 2019 14:10
They beat us last September at home, however, we've reinforced our squad with better players since then.

We need to be positive. Over the season, we faired better than them, with them just sneaking that last play off place on the last day .

They then had to settle a 2 legged tie with a penalty shoot out.

We've just buried our bogey team and know what it means to taste victory and defeat in such games.

If this is Norwoods swan song for Rovers, you can be sure he'll want to go out with a bang and will be unplayable come Saturday!

Have faith people.

Kentexile
Kentexile
23 May, 2019 14:53
I don't think they played better than us at Rodney Parade, even if they did have a goal disallowed. I remember feeling a draw was about right, and they certainly looked beatable - not the toughest game of the season by any stretch.
What they did do very well was to stifle Nors - he hardly got a sniff. I don't expect many goals on Saturday, fine margins.. 1-0 either way

MoanerLesser
RealityBitesHasLeftForum
23 May, 2019 14:56
Well, it has certainly been entertaining few years, following that first game down at Bromley in NL upwards to another visit to Wembley. Feels like 1990s again.

DevonExile
DevonExile
23 May, 2019 15:28
I think it is better than that because our spiral of decline in this century began to feel endless. We really were adrift without a rudder. The change was the Paliios factor. If we had been relegated out of the league before thatI am certain we would have gone the way of York City and others. Instead even when finally demoted there was an upbeat feel that seemed to have gone for ever.
It makes any success now all the sweeter and it is being achieved without mortgaging the future.
Victory or defeat on Saturday will not extinguish the confidence that supporters now have in the club

rossb07
rossb07
23 May, 2019 15:33
Newport weren't the better team at PP either.

I get that it's not an easy game and they're a decent side but so are we. Let's let them worry about what we have to offer going forward than the reverse and enjoy another day out as we never know when the next will be.

I also agree with Pez in regards to the squad since they beat us, FGR made us look a bit chumpy at their place early in the season. None of that when it matters though...

Ubi Fides IBi Lux Et Robur!

MoanerLesser
RealityBitesHasLeftForum
23 May, 2019 15:52
Quote:
DevonExile
I think it is better than that because our spiral of decline in this century began to feel endless. We really were adrift without a rudder. The change was the Paliios factor. If we had been relegated out of the league before thatI am certain we would have gone the way of York City and others. Instead even when finally demoted there was an upbeat feel that seemed to have gone for ever.
It makes any success now all the sweeter and it is being achieved without mortgaging the future.
Victory or defeat on Saturday will not extinguish the confidence that supporters now have in the club

Have you watched that 1980s documentary about Tranmere where things were so bad hat to increase performance they even considered cutting the players' mullets....

Seriously, there are parallels but this time it is without an influx of cash a la Peter Johnson and co. It is through sensible business planning along with good football management.

bumhobo33
bumhobo33
23 May, 2019 16:16
2-1 Rovers. What a time to be alive!

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy
23 May, 2019 18:47
We are favourites with the bookies.

This from Oddschecker:

League One awaits for Newport or Tranmere.

It’s a wonderful time of the year! This Bank Holiday weekend gifts us with three play-off finals at Wembley, starting in League Two, where Newport and Tranmere will do battle.

Historically, Tranmere are relatively big fish in the League Two pond, while Newport have never reached the English third-tier in their history; will we see Michael Flynn’s men write themselves into Newportian folklore? Or will Tranmere restore the status quo?

Both sides will feel confident about their chances. Newport, after sneaking into the top seven very late in the day, snuck past Mansfield—who spectacularly blew their own chances of automatic promotion—on penalties in the semis, while Tranmere brilliantly navigated past a good Forest Green outfit.

Like most play-off finals, I expect great circumspection from both teams; Newport and Mansfield keep things tight at the best of times, but with so much on the line this Saturday, I think this approach will be exacerbated further.

12 of Newport’s last 16 matches have seen under three goals scored—a run which includes nine clean sheets—and it’s a similar story for Tranmere, who somewhat limped to the finish line in League Two with a number of gritty, low-scoring slugfests.

In light of this, my first tip is for a goalless first-half.

Draw 0-0
Newport County v Tranmere [Half Time Score]
1pt
6/4
The one truly stand-out player in the League Two play-offs this season—and indeed the regular season, as he was voted Player of the Year—was Tranmere striker James Norwood.

The 28-year-old has smashed in 32 goals this season, including a beauty against Forest Green last week, and his aggressive, bullish style makes him an absolute nightmare for defenders to deal with.

Norwood will surely be playing in League One next season, even if Tranmere aren’t, but whatever happens, I can see him making a splash at Wembley.

17/10 for a goal at any time looks a fair price.

James Norwood
Newport County v Tranmere [Anytime Goalscorer]
1pt
17/10
I hate doing this, but I’m going to contradict one of my ante-post tips for the play-offs.

Newport were part of my ante-post 52/1 play-off promotion treble (which is still alive), and while it would still be lovely for that to land, having watched their respective performances in the semi-finals, Tranmere are my pick to lift the trophy (after 90 minutes or otherwise).

Newport’s victory over Mansfield was a proper ding-dong, with both sides having multiple, glaring opportunities to put the game to bed, before it somehow reached a penalty shootout. It was akin to Anthony Joshua’s win against Wladimir Klitschko – a life-and-death, 50:50 encounter, with both parties constantly living on the edge.

Tranmere’s victory over Forest Green, on the other hand, resembled Tyson Fury’s dismantling of Wlad; a highly impressive, keeping-at-arm’s-length type victory, where you’d be hard-pressed to envisage any other outcome in the future.

Newport have every chance of winning, but it’s Tranmere who I now expect to lift the trophy. They’re yet to beat The Exiles this season, but now wouldn’t be a bad time to start.

kennyspint
kennyspint
23 May, 2019 23:35
The reference above to Bromley says it all. Whatever happens at Wembley we are a Football League team next season. I think we'll beat them but if not we still don't have to travel to Bromley next season

DevonExile
DevonExile
24 May, 2019 09:06
Oddly, I will go tomorrow full of hope but without the same tension as last year. Tomorrow,successive promotion will be a Hugh bonus but defeat is not the end of the world.In contrast defeat last year would have been devastating raising the fear that like other ex league clubs we could be trapped indefinitely in the. Still alive wastelands.
Ofcourse if we are a goal up and battling to hold out I will feel just as nervous as last year. But at the final whistle last year there was a Hugh collective relief before elation. This year it would just be elation

Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil
24 May, 2019 09:54
May the best side on the day win. I will be disappointed if we lose but not as much as I would have been last year. Win or lose we are still on the up and must maintain the momentum. Promotion will come when it is deserved and hopefully sustainable. I do however suspect promotion would be carried better by us than Newport. (but I would think that wouldn't I)

mill park white
mill park white
24 May, 2019 11:22
Quote:
DevonExile
Oddly, I will go tomorrow full of hope but without the same tension as last year. Tomorrow,successive promotion will be a Hugh bonus but defeat is not the end of the world.In contrast defeat last year would have been devastating raising the fear that like other ex league clubs we could be trapped indefinitely in the. Still alive wastelands.
Ofcourse if we are a goal up and battling to hold out I will feel just as nervous as last year. But at the final whistle last year there was a Hugh collective relief before elation. This year it would just be elation

+1. Last year, day before and morning of the match, I was sick with nerves, horrible negative thoughts of kicking off against Braintree or Solihull in August.
This year is different, disappointment but not the end of the world if we don't go up. Still be playing league football. However, we will win 3-0.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
24 May, 2019 11:39
Haven't scored against them in 180 minutes, nor beaten them in last four meetings. Have a good keeper in Day and two good strikers. But that performance v FGR gives me confidence, they were so assured and never looked like losing.
If it goes to pens though would Buxton come off the bench? Nors, Jennings and Buxton have all scored from the spot, would add Banks and probably Ridehalgh to the five.
Not feeling same pressure this year and occasion to be enjoyed but what an achievement to go up. SWA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2019 11:40 by Prenton Pirate.

paulbyron
paulbyron
24 May, 2019 13:36
Quote:
DevonExile
couldn,t agree more devon

ADD
ADD
24 May, 2019 15:47
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Did you notice my reverse psychology for the semi -finals doom and gloom everywhere but we won ,so 2-1 to Newport
Great plan 50 - I like it!!
Personally I think we should win but of course it is a one off game and it is Tranmere so who knows!!
The one thing we absolutely need to do is rein back the enthusiasm in the first 10 minutes (ie no Ridelagh challenge in the first minute) as lightening will not strike twice if we do for sure. Neither team has played in 2 weeks so yes be up for it but with professionalism. It is great to be able to watch the game tomorrow desperately wanting Tranmere to win of course but unlike last year where the future of Tranmere was at stake given the losses we were incurring in the NL knowing that if we do not go up it is not a disaster.
Finally, given it will be Norwood's and maybe Manny's last game for us here's to MOM performances from both of them with Norwood hitting the winner...

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
24 May, 2019 16:41
My only slight worry is that, because the game isn't the be all and end all for us, it might play into Newport's hands psychologically. Can work the other way of course. Either way, just hoping it's not as stressful as last year!

pez
pez
24 May, 2019 17:10
I firmly believe that we have a much better team than last year, and as long as we keep focussed, we can win this one too.

Over the course of the season, we've finished higher than Newport, and we've beaten our bogey team to get to Wembley.

There's so many players playing for new contracts this summer and they will want to show Micky why they should still be here next season

Plenty of positives in the run up to the game.

MoanerLesser
RealityBitesHasLeftForum
24 May, 2019 21:03
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
Haven't scored against them in 180 minutes, nor beaten them in last four meetings. Have a good keeper in Day and two good strikers. But that performance v FGR gives me confidence, they were so assured and never looked like losing.
If it goes to pens though would Buxton come off the bench? Nors, Jennings and Buxton have all scored from the spot, would add Banks and probably Ridehalgh to the five.
Not feeling same pressure this year and occasion to be enjoyed but what an achievement to go up. SWA

hadnt beaten fgr for a while. the past doesnt always mean anything.

rover87
rover87
24 May, 2019 21:07
Although none of us would of realistically thought we would be in this position at the start of the season I dont buy all the talk by some that its just a ‘bonus’ for us its a playoff final and we need to go there with the same attitude as last year and get the job done come on Rovers SWA

Aldo40
Aldo40
24 May, 2019 22:18
I’m a great believer that you take your opportunities when they present themselves. I don’t go along with this, it’s too soon we’re not ready etc.
We have come a long way in a couple of seasons and I hope that upward momentum carries on tomorrow. It maybe 3 Wembley appearances in as many years but a 17 year gap in between. You can’t pick and choose in football and with a golden boot and a golden glove in the side, in Nors and Scottie maybe we should make the most of the assets we currently have in the side.
Come on Rovers let’s do this!

ming05
ming05
25 May, 2019 06:51
Getting in my car and I'm On our way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.