Latest news:

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon
30 August, 2016 19:32
There's a rerun of the match on channel 408 now-about an hour gone. I wonder if it will stay 1-0.

The opposition on channel 409 is the British Carp Angling Championship.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
30 August, 2016 21:03
Quote:
Hoots Mon
There's a rerun of the match on channel 408 now-about an hour gone. I wonder if it will stay 1-0.

The opposition on channel 409 is the British Carp Angling Championship.

Well that does it for me then Hoots; need some tips on the best rigs to catch more fish!

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
30 August, 2016 21:04
I think I will watch the carp catching 😬

kennyspint
kennyspint
30 August, 2016 21:56
Quote:
mini_andy
I can't wait for the melt down of this forum when we lose a match.
When Norwood scored, the had a line of 6 defenders. You cannot believe how hard it is to break down that sort of line. Anyone who says use pace etc etc hart either played or coached at a competitive level. We won comfortable yesterday, accept it.
Depends on the manner of the defeat
Storming performance but beaten by a better side or Welling last season

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley
30 August, 2016 22:05
Quote:
Matt34
Brabin could try binning off the full backs, going 3 at the back, 5 in the middle and 2 up and having Steve J in behind Harris and Connor J, playing the holding position, with the brief to cover, along with one or two others, for the back 3 when the opposition counter.
The defense is doing well enough at the moment, that I would not feel massively concerned about 3 in the back and as Ridehalgh can go there and has on occasion before, playing him and Ihiekwie either side of McNulty might work.

Playing 3 at the back if Tranmere were leaking goals wouldn't be smart, but they are not and this could permit the use winger in a 5 man midfield, without dropping any of the current middle and attacking players and if the system looked a bit unsteady, drop the wide players back 10-15 yards, with 1 to 2 subs if necessary and make it a 3-5-2 defensive setup, to just help the back 3 a little

I wouldn't favour changing team or tactics while we're on a winning run, but I think it's an interesting idea. Pre-season, I floated the idea of McNulty as sweeper. The idea above could work as, in terms of reading the game, McNulty is way above this level.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
30 August, 2016 22:42
Ultimatley it was a boring match. Other comments aside which all have their merits both positive and "negative" what I think is agreed is that we have a lack of goals, some of us are concerned some of us are not, nobody is right and nobody is wrong in the reasons for each. The manager has touched on it and so have the players. Is it an issue, who knows we will find out in May. We do all seem to agree the reason for the "goal drout" is the 10 players behind the ball issue, some say we have done well against this others not, again no one is right no one is wrong convincing issues either side of the argument. We all know it's difficult to break sides down who play that way. With that in mind though a real worry for me is another subject that has been touched on, in another thread the SET PEICES. When we can all accept as above chances difficult to make against 10 defenders sketch, why when we get free kicks and corners which are a golden opportunity to cause mayhem in the box with good delivery are we phaffing about with 10 players doing step overs and knocking stuff short. If I was the manager I would be appapletic with it, however it doesn't seem to register with any of them. With our style of play and oppositions style of defence they are going to be the only real chance to get a quality ball into the danger zone unopposed, we've got good height and some good aerial threat, the mangager had to change our approach to them sooner than later and if he doesn't well it's going to cost us. We had 6 or 7 free kicks alone yesterday and not one ball into the danger zone.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon
31 August, 2016 12:43
I would say leave the defence as it is. We got hit on the counter to many times last season. We do seem to be playing more narrow and our goals against suggests it has worked

DevonExile
DevonExile
31 August, 2016 15:56
[quote kennyspint][quote mini_andy]I can't wait for the melt down of this forum when we lose a match.

When Norwood scored, the had a line of 6 defenders. You cannot believe how hard it is to break down that sort of line. Anyone who says use pace etc etc hart either played or coached at a competitive level. We won comfortable yesterday, accept it.[/quote]

Quite a number of top class internationally acclaimed coaches argue that one of the ways to counter-act a defensive team is to use width and pace. But then perhaps that experience is irrelevant at National League level. I am still waiting to find anywhere the suggestion that slow build up followed by a long ball has yet been advocated by top coaches.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan
31 August, 2016 16:53
As long as we go up I personally don't care how ugly the football is. Although to be fair, most of our play is actually been decent this season. Looking forward to more of "Gary give us a wave"

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover
31 August, 2016 18:39
Quote:
Higgosboots
Ultimatley it was a boring match. Other comments aside which all have their merits both positive and "negative" what I think is agreed is that we have a lack of goals, some of us are concerned some of us are not, nobody is right and nobody is wrong in the reasons for each. The manager has touched on it and so have the players. Is it an issue, who knows we will find out in May. We do all seem to agree the reason for the "goal drout" is the 10 players behind the ball issue, some say we have done well against this others not, again no one is right no one is wrong convincing issues either side of the argument. We all know it's difficult to break sides down who play that way. With that in mind though a real worry for me is another subject that has been touched on, in another thread the SET PEICES. When we can all accept as above chances difficult to make against 10 defenders sketch, why when we get free kicks and corners which are a golden opportunity to cause mayhem in the box with good delivery are we phaffing about with 10 players doing step overs and knocking stuff short. If I was the manager I would be appapletic with it, however it doesn't seem to register with any of them. With our style of play and oppositions style of defence they are going to be the only real chance to get a quality ball into the danger zone unopposed, we've got good height and some good aerial threat, the mangager had to change our approach to them sooner than later and if he doesn't well it's going to cost us. We had 6 or 7 free kicks alone yesterday and not one ball into the danger zone.
Agree

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon
31 August, 2016 18:57
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Higgosboots
Agree

Me too.

jimrod
jimrod
31 August, 2016 19:18
As has been stated already, we have to be happy with three points, yet that didn't prevent us leaving after the match feeling a little disappointed. We seemed short of ideas in our approach work, which seemed rather ponderous.The goal created by Steve McNulty's through ball was the way to go; it was direct and enabled Norwood to break and score with aplomb. Similar direct play down the wings would have led to more scoring chances. Constant passing from side to side slows down momentum and generally frustrates the crowd, although I thought the Rovers fans were very patient and supportive all through.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover
01 September, 2016 08:07
Apparently Harvey said at half time that Tranmere are using the long ball too much.

pez
pez
01 September, 2016 10:58
The set piece situation was a problem last year too.

We are winning plenty of free kicks and corners, but not using them to any advantage.

If we could maximise these set pieces we can notch up a few more convincing victories instead of nicking games by one goal.

As stated above, sides will come here and defend all day just to get a point. We need to capitalise on these corners and free kicks and look upon them as a goal scoring opportunity.

Another win, but not a great game, but Guisely are desperate to notch up some points and it was always going to be a tough game.

With the quality we've brought in, I think we expected us to score a bag full against Southport and Guisely, but nothing is straight forward in this league.

We've seen teams win 4-0 and then get beat the next game.

I'm sure that if we work on set plays then eventually well notch up a few decent wins, we certainly have enough quality forwards, they just need to convert more chances.

AndyMase
AndyMase
01 September, 2016 19:43
Personally I would like to see Maynard back in midfield not at right back. I would drop Harris right now as he wins a lot of balls but his distribution is woeful. Would probably drop Steve jenning too as he just doesn't seem to have the pace these days and isn't giving us much from his set plays.
CJ I have been impressed with but he looked tired in last couple of games so maybe a rest?
Agree a win is a win and very happy with where we are.

One worry for me on Monday was they seemed to have more energy or at least seemed to be able to double team our players. Sharper more accurate passing would help open up defences but to often our moves break down with some poor passing rather than the opposition breaking up the moves

aktrfc
aktrfc
01 September, 2016 19:44
Had a look at some other forums earlier, including the shots site. The all saying we looked poor on tv and nothing to worry about. Did anyone see it and did we look that bad, as although it wasn't the best game I thought we made some good chances, but it's different live to on the box.

MoanerLesser
AccountLogicsllDeleted
01 September, 2016 21:07
It just looked to me like they were taking it easy because Guiseley offered no attack. Besides , we haven't often won when on live TV....

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
01 September, 2016 22:24
Quote:
AndyMase
Personally I would like to see Maynard back in midfield not at right back. I would drop Harris right now as he wins a lot of balls but his distribution is woeful. Would probably drop Steve jenning too as he just doesn't seem to have the pace these days and isn't giving us much from his set plays.
CJ I have been impressed with but he looked tired in last couple of games so maybe a rest?
Agree a win is a win and very happy with where we are.

So what you're saying is, if I'm right, is that a unbeaten side should have it's main 3 midfielders all binned off, temporarily at least, in favour of other players.

I have to say that if that is the point, it probably won't sit well with many on here, myself included.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

jade-trfc
jade-trfc
02 September, 2016 06:47
i think we have bin poor the last 3 games, but if your playing poor and still winning is said to be a sign of a good team, i would rather we were playing poor than being complacent.

as said in other comments in the last 3 matches we have come up against 3 teams that just wanted a point, maidstone came at us a little bit but only after 30min, southport it took 60min for them to come at us and on monday well am still waiting for them to come at us. 1-0 doesnt look great, but when you take into account it was the second game in 48hrs, we had a goal wrongfully disallowed and 11 men behind the ball, 1-0 is a god dahm good result, no one says man city are poor when they are only winning stoke/WBA 1-0 on a cold tuesday night, so i dont think its any different for us when a team wants a point, it just wants to defend 1-0 is a respectable result, this is why our away form is better, home fans dont allow you to put 11 men behind the ball, so the play is a bit more open which suits our game, yes sometimes we will get punished by having an open game but everyone feels its a better performance.

no one wants to watch football were the other team refuses to leave there half but, if passing it sideways and knocking the ball over the top is going to create space for just one goal that all you need.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
02 September, 2016 21:28
However when was the last time since their most recent entrance into the top flight, have Stoke and West Brom been stone dead last after 5-6 games? They're too good for that, to my recollection.

These days Stoke are a legit top 10 side and couldn't be seen as punching above their weight, so they could be a bogey team to the fabulously wealthy ones, like a Moyes Everton, Allardyce Bolton, Hughes Blackburn, Keegan Newcastle and a Wimbledon of the 90's were.

The result was decent don't get me wrong and the offside was rubbish. You can forgive officials for not spotting someone is an inch onside or a centimetre and gives it offside, but that offside was total pish.

I've no problem with people wanting a win less team to lose by more than 1 goal, if a rival trounced someone else by a 4 goal margin.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.