Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Martinez farewell video.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 16 September, 2020 11:01
Martinez farewell video.
Boston Gooner 16 September, 2020 11:01
[twitter.com]

Good luck to the Guy.
(But not against us)

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Martinez farewell video.
goonerred 16 September, 2020 11:28
He did great for us in the end, just when we needed him. I wish he could stay, but he wants to play and you can't argue with that.

All the best!

mapleleafgooner 16 September, 2020 12:12
From a salary of 25k to 70k per week, I don't blame him. He has to take care of himself and his family first. Classy good bye from him.

[metro.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2020 12:35 by mapleleafgooner.

Padre Pio 16 September, 2020 13:33
Great interview, he has personality.
Funny he could have been entitled to a testimonial(Sm22)

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

TheReMarkable 16 September, 2020 15:28
Hard to know how to feel about this one. I think as long as the 16/20 mill is reinvested back into midfield I’ll be happy.

Strange one really as if he didn’t get into the team last season we would probably be selling him now for a mill or two if we were luck and nobody would be batting an eye lid. I’ll admit when Leno got injured I thought that was us done in terms of any chance of winning the FA Cup and advancing our position in the league.

Padre Pio 16 September, 2020 15:46
In 2019 -20 he had more appearences in the first team than the rest of his whole career to date.
Having joined as a youth in 2010 he always did everything the club asked him to.
He is entitled to great future elsewhere, I wish him luck

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Merlion96 16 September, 2020 16:24
10 years with us, suffering in silence when being constantly overlooked.
Got his lucky break with Arteta and peaked at the right time.

He deserves all the recognition he is getting and the very best of luck in his future.

Youngsters like AMN, Saka, Nelson, Willock and Smith Rowe should learned from Martinez on the value of patience and seized that window of opportunity with both hands when it comes a-knocking.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

goonerred 16 September, 2020 17:17
Bit of a difference though, Martinez is 28, you wouldn't want to wait that long as an outfield player losing pace and strength. It's different for a goalie.

Gooner Sod 16 September, 2020 20:25
Perfect way to end his Arsenal career.

At 28, it makes no sense for him to continue to battle for no1 spot after waiting 10yrs. Add to the fact he gets a payrise which is 3 times his current salary, then it was a no brainer.

Good for him to get regular football. He leaves Arsenal a winner and forever in the fans hearts. Also a £16-20m cash boost for 2 months of quality performances is a nice bonus for the club.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Bergmars 16 September, 2020 20:51
Good luck and thank you

Under new managment

Merlion96 16 September, 2020 23:48
Quote:
goonerred
Bit of a difference though, Martinez is 28, you wouldn't want to wait that long as an outfield player losing pace and strength. It's different for a goalie.

Outfield players usually peak between 24 to 27 years old.

All those youngsters should be patient working with a class coach like Arteta for the next 2 to 3 years to learn their trade and then decide what is best for their careers when they are 23 or 24 years old, commanding a massive salary should they fulfilled their potential then.

Remember the case of Justin Hoyte who stayed with us for a few years, then reluctantly accepting that he is not going to make it an left to further his career.

The other examples are Connolly and Ayling, then highly rated as CB in the youth rank. But they decided they are not going to be starter and left.

goonerred 17 September, 2020 07:41
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
goonerred

Outfield players usually peak between 24 to 27 years old.

All those youngsters should be patient working with a class coach like Arteta for the next 2 to 3 years to learn their trade and then decide what is best for their careers when they are 23 or 24 years old, commanding a massive salary should they fulfilled their potential then.

Remember the case of Justin Hoyte who stayed with us for a few years, then reluctantly accepting that he is not going to make it an left to further his career.

The other examples are Connolly and Ayling, then highly rated as CB in the youth rank. But they decided they are not going to be starter and left.
I think your first sentence proves my point. A youngster would not want to wait until he's 28 to get a break in the team. Yes if your 18/19 be patient, but once you get to 22 or 23 you've got to think, you need to be playing regularly. Unless your only there for the money.

Padre Pio 17 September, 2020 07:44
Sadly Hoyte became a jobbing footballer, sinking ever further down the leagues. Eventually landed up in the USA where it would appear his career finished at the age of 35.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net