Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Auoar or Partey.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 13 September, 2020 23:37
Auoar or Partey.
Boston Gooner 13 September, 2020 23:37
Don't think we will sign one let alone two of them. (If we ever was)
We can't afford to.
Players who we seemed to be moving on are getting 2nd chances.
We aren't getting any decent money back in from transfers.
We will probably make a signing or even two but not on Auoar or Partey scale.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Auoar or Partey.
Willy 14 September, 2020 00:16
Agree that there's no chance of us getting both. Very different players and it will be interesting to see what happens. Would love to see either but Aouar would mean changing formation surely?

mapleleafgooner 14 September, 2020 01:34
In defensive midfield position, we now have Elneny, Xhaka, Ceballos with AMN able to play there as well and Guendouzi if his transfer does not work out. So Auoar will be more important to shore up our creative midfield position with Willian as the only experienced player in that position (assuming Ozil is persona non grata). The other creative players are Pepe who imo is inconsistent and tend to disappear during periods in the game; and Saka who is on his day can be very influential. But Pepe and Saka are better on the wings with their pace. So Auoar (or similar) is now more important to Arsenal than Partey.

Willy 14 September, 2020 10:02
And we haven't sold Torreira yet, so yes we do have a lot in the deeper position even if it's not top quality. Partey in would further unbalance the squad and put us even more under pressure to sell these unwanted midfielders. 433 with Aouar and Willian rotating the 10 would give Pepe/Saka/Nelson the route they need to get in the team (we don't want to lose them surely) plus the scope to use Ozil if he does it in training.

CazOnARola 14 September, 2020 10:43
Auoara if Arteta is going to be changing the formation this season to 4-3-3

Partey if we continue to play the current way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2020 02:34 by CazOnARola.

tigerline 14 September, 2020 17:35
Quote:
CazOnARola
Auoar is Arteta is going to be currently the formation this season.

Is there a typo in that first sentence?
I cannot make out what it means.

SuperRob 14 September, 2020 17:49
I don't think any of our current deep midfielders are mobile enough and good enough defensively for us to play 4-3-3. Therefore if we don't improve with a Partey type signing, I think we have to carry on playing 3 centre backs. Which means there isn't a space in the team for Aouar.

I'd rather we add some pace and power to our central midfield before we add more attacking midfielders. So it's Partey before Aouar for me.

Boston Gooner 14 September, 2020 18:24
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
CazOnARola
Auoar is Arteta is going to be currently the formation this season.

TheReMarkable 14 September, 2020 19:18
I think we need Partey more. I would also say he’s more of a sure thing as he is a proven top level player whereas Auoar isn’t and as has been mentioned above, it would require tweaks to the formation. Let’s say we did go 4-3-3, or some variation. Would Ceballos and Xhaka be good enough as the two most defensive minded of a 3? That would worry me. Partey would also free Xhaka up even more to focus on playmaking similar to how Xabi Alonso was at Liverpool when he had Mascherano and at Madrid where he had Khedira.

Kalela 14 September, 2020 22:03
Quote:
TheReMarkable
I think we need Partey more. I would also say he’s more of a sure thing as he is a proven top level player whereas Auoar isn’t and as has been mentioned above, it would require tweaks to the formation. Let’s say we did go 4-3-3, or some variation. Would Ceballos and Xhaka be good enough as the two most defensive minded of a 3? That would worry me. Partey would also free Xhaka up even more to focus on playmaking similar to how Xabi Alonso was at Liverpool when he had Mascherano and at Madrid where he had Khedira.

Spot on. I still don't believe the club will sign either of them though. They will re-run it with the same midfield from last season plus Elneny and hope things work out differently. I can see them signing another attacking player for some explainable reason.

Flava 14 September, 2020 22:39
I don’t think Arteta will allow for mediocrity. He’ll want the best players the budget allows. We all know this team isn’t good enough as it stands

Boston Gooner 14 September, 2020 23:14
Out of those two players I would take Partey first anyday.

CazOnARola 15 September, 2020 03:23
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
CazOnARola
Auoar if Arteta is going to be changing the formation this season.

Fixed.

tigerline 15 September, 2020 03:57
Thanks Caz.

Boston Gooner 15 September, 2020 06:57
Quote:
tigerline
Thanks Caz.

Boston Gooner 16 September, 2020 08:37
Auoar's mob are saying they have had no contact from Arsenal at all.

Willy 16 September, 2020 09:17
A bit worrying but it could mean anything, agent talk.

CazOnARola 16 September, 2020 13:29
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Auoar's mob are saying they have had no contact from Arsenal at all.
Wouldn't be surprising. We might have sent feelers but not been in touch officially. His price tag is also pretty high. His output, especially in his first season, could easily be lesser than Willian.

It is looking more and more likely that we will stay with 3-4-3.

But I'm not worried as Arteta will find a way to win with the players he has. We should be close by the half way mark, and will probably fade away in the second
half of the season.

Partey might happen though.

Boston Gooner 16 September, 2020 14:35
Partey will be the major signing if we make one.

Willy 17 September, 2020 09:48
We can rotate Willian and Ozil in the am/10 role if we switch formations. I think that Ozil is out of the squad mostly for tactical reasons and I don't expect it to stay like that all season.

CazOnARola 17 September, 2020 11:42
Quote:
Willy
We can rotate Willian and Ozil in the am/10 role if we switch formations. I think that Ozil is out of the squad mostly for tactical reasons and I don't expect it to stay like that all season.
Europa and league Cup at best and there too we might see smith rowe.
I'm sure all wages have appearance based bonuses pay and above stats based.

If he doesn't play, he probably gets less money

Boston Gooner 17 September, 2020 13:10
Liverpool get Thiago Alcântara from Bayern Munich for peanuts 20mill up to 27mill with add ons.
Very good player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2020 13:13 by Boston Gooner.

Gunnersingh1 17 September, 2020 14:34
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Liverpool get Thiago Alcântara from Bayern Munich for peanuts 20mill up to 27mill with add ons.
Very good player.

Very jealous of that signing I have to admit.

On another note if we're signing both Aouar and Partey, you'd expect us to get Aouar first, given that the Lyon Chairman is a nutcase and if he saw us splash out €50 mil on Partey,, he'd put Aoura price up.

Gunnersingh1 17 September, 2020 16:06
BTW, Aouar teammate Maxence Caqueret is another player we should be looking at.

He will be the next big player everyone wants. He's a CM.

Boston Gooner 17 September, 2020 18:53
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
BTW, Aouar teammate Maxence Caqueret is another player we should be looking at.
He will be the next big player everyone wants. He's a CM.

Get him for a decent price.

mapleleafgooner 17 September, 2020 21:34
Proven players like Alcatara and James are sold for 27m and 12m pounds respectively. French u21 player Aouar will cost us about $40m pounds and Partey 45m pounds. Why is Arsenal being treated like Man City or Chelsea when we have a cheapskate ownership? And why can't we sell Guendouzi, captain of France u21 for at least 40m pounds? Poor transfer negotiators from Arsenal?

CazOnARola 17 September, 2020 22:49
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Proven players like Alcatara and James are sold for 27m and 12m pounds respectively. French u21 player Aouar will cost us about $40m pounds and Partey 45m pounds. Why is Arsenal being treated like Man City or Chelsea when we have a cheapskate ownership? And why can't we sell Guendouzi, captain of France u21 for at least 40m pounds? Poor transfer negotiators from Arsenal?
Wages are way higher for Thiago. Also he has his injury problems.
The younger players are worth a lot more unless you are Messi. I also suspect the length of the contract might be different as well and the player prefers a move to Liverpool, that directly brings the price down. Nobody was in for James, so that was a bargain whereas Auoar has had glittering performances in the Champions league and is highly sought after. Guendouzi is also frozen out at arsenal and hasn't played in 6 months. There would have been a lot of takers in aug 2019. Right now everyone wins try to low ball us for Guendouzi.

Boston Gooner 18 September, 2020 00:26
He's not highly sought after by many.
We seem to be the only ones who want him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2020 00:38 by Boston Gooner.

CazOnARola 18 September, 2020 07:35
Quote:
Boston Gooner
He's not highly sought after by many.
We seem to be the only ones who want him.
Was linked with city, juve and Chelsea as well but he is sought after in the lower positions like 3-4-5 in most leagues, not the top teams.
Whatever I've seen on the highlights reels, he reminds of wilshere and juan mata, like a cross between the two.

He does tend to release the ball a little late like Jack, so will be on the receiving end of a lot of rough tackles if he isn't careful.

Is defensively pretty weak, so there is no way he will play in 2 man midfield.

A bit like ozil, I'm not sure why Arteta wants someone like that who is weak defensively. But in Arteta we trust.

Boston Gooner 18 September, 2020 07:50
Give me Partey over him any day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net