Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

An update from your club.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 05 August, 2020 14:39
An update from your club.
Boston Gooner 05 August, 2020 14:39
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic we have been working hard to ensure that Arsenal Football Club emerges in a robust and strong position for the future.

In line with other football clubs and many other businesses operating in the sport, leisure and entertainment arena, we have been impacted directly by COVID-19.

Our main sources of income have all reduced significantly. Revenue from broadcasters, matchday and commercial activities have all been hit severely and these impacts will continue into at least the forthcoming 2020/21 season.

The pandemic represents one of the most challenging periods in our 134-year history and we have responded promptly by implementing wide-ranging measures to reduce our costs. Our players, senior football staff and executive team have volunteered pay cuts, we have stopped pretty much all of our capital spending, and our discretionary operating expenditure has been strictly controlled.

We have also received significant financial support from our owners, Kroenke, Sports & Entertainment in terms of refinancing our stadium debt.

These steps have all reduced the impact of the pandemic on the club and have helped us continue to maintain investment in the team. This will continue to be a key priority.

It is now clear that we will be facing more significant and longer-lasting reductions in our revenue than we all hoped. Current indications are that we will not have fans back at Emirates Stadium for the start of next season and fans will only be able to return in limited numbers after that. The global economic projections are also very negative.

This will impact the disposable income of our fans, the money corporate clients have to spend on hospitality and sponsorship, and the ability for broadcasters to invest in TV rights.

We all hope there will be no “second wave” but we also need to accept that is one of the many uncertainties ahead of us and plan accordingly.

Over recent years we have consistently invested in additional staff to take the club forward but with the expected reduction of income in mind, it is now clear that we must reduce our costs further to ensure we are operating in a sustainable and responsible way, and to enable us to continue to invest in the team.

Our aim has been to protect the jobs and base salaries of our people for as long as we possibly can. Unfortunately, we have now come to the point where we are proposing 55 redundancies.

We do not make these proposals lightly and have looked at every aspect of the club and our expenditure before reaching this point. We are now entering the required 30-day consultation period on these proposals.

We know this is upsetting and difficult for our dedicated staff and our focus is on managing this as sensitively as possible.

These proposed changes are ultimately about ensuring we take this great football club forward, creating the right organisation for a post-Covid world, and ensuring we have the resources to return to competing effectively at the top of the game here and in Europe.

Raúl Sanllehi, Head of Football
Vinai Venkatesham, Managing Director

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: An update from your club.
Gunnersingh1 05 August, 2020 14:44
I've seen people tweeting Ozil and blaming him. These morons on twitter make me sick!

Flava 05 August, 2020 14:49
Flipping Ozil's fault!!!!

It's unfortunate for those 55 and my heart goes out to them.

goonerred 05 August, 2020 14:52
I was going to say, I hope Ozil is one of the 55, but I daren't now.😨

Merlion96 05 August, 2020 15:19
Quote:
Flava

Nope.
Ivan Gazidis and Arsene Wenger's fault.

“The transition from defence to build-up must be executed very quickly. The team tactical manpower in the centre of the field(central defenders, midfielders and striker) is of great importance.”
Renus Michels: “Team Building - The Road to Success”

Flava 05 August, 2020 15:49
It’ll save then £3m a year perhaps, if only we hadn’t given Kia about £40m

Shane 05 August, 2020 16:14
Very sad. I hope nobody here is affected occupationally by the virus.

Padre Pio 05 August, 2020 16:30
Its bloody awful, time Stan dug deeper.

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

mapleleafgooner 05 August, 2020 16:34
Arsenal's head of international recruitment, Francis Cagigao, is being released. He is part of the 55 employees being released to combat the revenue loss caused by the coronavirus pandemic. This will also increasingly move Arsenal towards a transfer model that is agent led.

Boston Gooner 05 August, 2020 16:35
Quote:
Padre Pio

CazOnARola 05 August, 2020 17:11
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Arsenal's head of international recruitment, Francis Cagigao, is being released. He is part of the 55 employees being released to combat the revenue loss caused by the coronavirus pandemic. This will also increasingly move Arsenal towards a transfer model that is agent led.
This is sic. This will become Kia s club now.

djarse 05 August, 2020 17:34
Good piece in the Independent about how outrageous this is:

[www.independent.co.uk]

MattySadler 05 August, 2020 17:35
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
Padre Pio

Flava 05 August, 2020 17:37
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

Didn’t he recommend Martinelli?

MattySadler 05 August, 2020 17:41
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

Didn’t he recommend Martinelli?

He gets credited with finding Fabregas and Bellerin and also recommending Pique and Messi, though all of whom were a part of Barcelona's La Masia academy. Gets credited with Martinelli as well, but he'd already had a trial with Man United so was clearly on club's radars.

plonky 05 August, 2020 20:04
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
Flava

Nope.

Are they both Covid-19 super-spreaders?

Ares 05 August, 2020 20:56
The club can send Ozil out on loan some where and split the bill for his wages.

If we can find a Premier League club to take him: that's not City, Manure, Tote or Leicster we might actually get some use out of him.

He could have the two league games against us off on full pay (paid for by us).

Personally I'd offer him to Everton. They would be in a stronger position to take points off our rivals. And we kind of have this thing where we do business with them.

Boston Gooner 05 August, 2020 21:26
He won't go on loan to another prem club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 21:26 by Boston Gooner.

Padre Pio 05 August, 2020 22:58
I hear Freddy wants a way

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

SuperRob 05 August, 2020 23:30
Quote:
Flava
It’ll save then £3m a year perhaps, if only we hadn’t given Kia about £40m

I feel this Kia thing has been blown a bit out of proportion. I think we actually spent about £13m on agent fees last season, which is about right for the amount of transfer dealings we did. Some of that would have been on outgoings, like Iwobi, who I believe was represented by Joorabchian in his move to Everton.

Yes, we've signed a few players from Kia - Luiz, Mari, Cedric and now maybe Willian. We've also signed Tierney, Leno, Torreira, Saliba, Pepe, Martinelli and now maybe Gabriel and Partey who aren't represented by Kia and it looks like we're turning down Coutinho, despite him being represented by Kia. "Ah, but Pepe was represented by Jorge Mendes, who is also a super agent!" the argument goes. Well yes, all players have agents representing them. Or should we limit ourselves to only signing players who represent themselves or are represented by their parents or siblings? That's basically how we operated under Wenger and that meant transfer windows where we would wait until the last day and see who was left - Park, Sanogo, Kallstrom, Benayoun, Lichsteiner, Asano and I'm sure a load more that I'm forgetting.

I honestly don't see why it's such a bad thing that our executives are close to the people who have a big say on which clubs the best players end up choosing. As long as we retain the ability to make independent decisions, which it looks to me like we are doing, surely it's a good thing that we are now one of the clubs who is competing for these players. In the past, we could only get players who had no other club bidding for them. That has changed with this regime because of the relationships they have with the agents.

Merlion96 05 August, 2020 23:41
Quote:
plonky
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
Flava

Nope.

Are they both Covid-19 super-spreaders?

Worse than that; with our finance in ICU due to Ozilitis.

Boston Gooner 06 August, 2020 06:40
Quote:
Padre Pio
I hear Freddy wants a way

He was being linked for a managers job a few days ago.
Back home I think.

Boston Gooner 06 August, 2020 06:53
Reportedly,
Arsenal players are not pleased that members of staff are losing their jobs after they agreed to take a pay cut to prevent such a scenario.

Members of Arsenal's first-team squad have reportedly been left deeply upset that the club have announced plans to make 55 members of non-playing staff redundant next month due to the coronavirus crisis.

goonerred 06 August, 2020 07:40
Kranky is only worth £8 billion, so can't expectd him to pay their wages until this blows over - if it ever does.

Bergmars 06 August, 2020 09:15
Typical Arsenal PR own goal straight after the feel good factor of the last couple of weeks 3 mill savings it's pathetic.

Under new managment

Padre Pio 06 August, 2020 09:54
Quote:
Bergmars
Typical Arsenal PR own goal straight after the feel good factor of the last couple of weeks 3 mill savings it's pathetic.

Hardly time for the feel good factor of the cup to fade, PR idiots. I always said that the wage cut would blow up in their face, they took a cut to save jobs and no such thing happens.

Boston Gooner 06 August, 2020 15:10
According to the Guardian, Arsenal are set to cull scouts covering France, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Italy as part of the 55 redundancies the club announced yesterday.

We had already learnt that Francis Cagigao, our head of international scouting and Peter Clark and Brian McDermott, who covered the UK were set for the chop.

Today, it’s been revealed that Ty Gooden (France and Belgium), Leonardo Scirpoli (Germany), Julio de Marco (Spain) and Alex Stafford (Scotland) are also set to leave. The club’s Italian operation has also been cut.

Earlier this year, Arsenal parted ways with a number of other scouts including Steve Morrow, who was head of youth scouting, Dave Lee, Kevin Beddell, Dan Price and Joe Sutton.

The report claims the plans have been in the pipeline for a while and that there are no suggestion that any of the above will be replaced.

Merlion96 06 August, 2020 15:59
Apparently, Sanllehi/Edu are depending on their personal contacts and freelancers to do the scouting for them.

But who are scouting for all those 9/10 year old for our Hale End Academy?

“The transition from defence to build-up must be executed very quickly. The team tactical manpower in the centre of the field(central defenders, midfielders and striker) is of great importance.”

plonky 07 August, 2020 08:03
First the scouting network goes.

Next up it might well be the Arsenal Academy for the chop.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2020 08:23
Quote:
plonky

And Ozil will still be here taking the p.iss.

CazOnARola 07 August, 2020 09:25
Quote:
plonky
We have too many decent young players to at least be good enough as squad players if not more recently.

This is hinders deals like soares and mari.

Once the Academy and scouting network is completely gone, Kia and Edu can work their magic for deals for a 4th choice center backs and 3rd choice RBs from the 3rd division of the Brazilian League.

Everything is going as per plans.

SuperRob 07 August, 2020 09:50

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2020 09:55
Mislintat left Arsenal in February 2019. A key reason why he left is due to a row with Raul Sanllehi over Arsenal’s scouting department.

According to the Independent, Mislintat felt that Arsenal’s scouting department was too bloated and attempted to trim it down but was blocked from doing so by Sanllehi.

A lot of fuss has been made of Arsenal making 55 employees redundant. There are explanations behind every single redundancy.

The scouting department has been under review ever since Mislintat shared his view with Sanllehi. Just last summer, Arsenal trimmed the scouting department.

Following the appointment of Edu as technical director, Arsenal have continued to monitor the situation and decided to make further scouts redundant, including Head of International Recruitment Francis Cagigao.

In recent years, there has been a move away from “traditional scouting”.

Under Arsene Wenger, the scouting department was huge, with scouts in every corner of the globe.

It set Arsenal apart from other Premier League clubs. But that was over 20-years ago.

These days scouting is much more data driven.

Clubs pay big money (or in Arsenal’s case own) for data on footballers.

The stuff we see on Opts or Understat, clubs have access to much more.

In modern recruitment, clubs tend to be recommended players by local independent scouts who are not on the payroll. These scouts make commission if the player they recommended is signed.

Clubs then run the player through their data programmes, and analyse video footage of them.

Based on the opinion of their analysis, clubs then decide whether to send a scout out to watch said player or to not bother.

Back before the era of data and technology, clubs would be unable to rule out players without seeing them.

The technology allows for clubs to work in a more structured manner, focusing on players who have the data to back up the recommendation. No longer do clubs have to spend money on sending a scout out to the middle of nowhere based on a recommendation.

A mixture between the new technology and data meant that Arsenal’s huge scouting network had become bloated and hard to control.

It seems Edu agrees with Mislintat’s viewpoint and this has led to Arsenal to further trim down the scouting department.

Moving forward, Arsenal will act on recommendations of independent scouts and be paying a commission rather than a salary. In turn this saves the club money and allows the club to operate with a smaller, more manageable scouting department.

Arsenal making 55 people redundant has made a lot of people angry. But the scouting department has been bloated and dysfunctional for some time.

It was likely Arsenal would have culled the scouting department even if Covid19 did not happen.

SuperRob 07 August, 2020 10:08
I think this is a case of very poor communication of these decisions.

It does seem logical to me that football clubs don't really need scouts in every country these days. When you can find footage of seemingly every player in the world on youtube, I'm sure premier league clubs have access to video of basically any match they want including youth games.

Merlion96 07 August, 2020 10:29
Anybody knew who are the 55 designated for the chopping block?

Shane 08 August, 2020 16:32
Quote:
SuperRob
It does seem logical to me that football clubs don't really need scouts in every country these days. When you can find footage of seemingly every player in the world on youtube, I'm sure premier league clubs have access to video of basically any match they want including youth games.

We also own our very own statistics company. I'm not sure how much we use it because we had it long before Raul and Edu but it does further indicate that the scouting network could stand to be reduced.

SuperRob 11 August, 2020 12:24
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SuperRob

We also own our very own statistics company. I'm not sure how much we use it because we had it long before Raul and Edu but it does further indicate that the scouting network could stand to be reduced.

Yes it seems like they haven't used it very well in the past, but having the right data is only the starting point. You still need to have people who understand the data and make the right decisions based on it. Hopefully Arteta and Edu will do a better job of this than the people we've had at the club before.

Shane 14 August, 2020 10:57
Even with data, so much more is needed to succeed at the top level. Talent really isn't enough in any walk of life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net