Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
Discussion started by MattySadler , 15 July, 2020 22:48
Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
MattySadler 15 July, 2020 22:48
Martinez - 8. Very good again I thought. Made some good stops and was quick off his line to deal with high balls and crosses. Got veeeery lucky when he took too long clearing and it nearly went in off Firmino, though.

Holding - 7. Had another Costa Cup Final moment with Mane, which came moments after he won the ball well but then gave it away awfully trying to bring it out from the back. Thought he was okay overall but because of that moment we will see this performance being overhyped. Anyone else think he's bulked up?
Luiz - 8. Interested to see what others think but I thought he was excellent, particularly in the second half. Cleared everything towards the end.
Tierney - 7. Thought he did well in the LCB stop. Salah was kept largely quiet.

Cedric - 5. Tough evening against Robertson and Mane.
Torreira - 6. Okay, worked very hard, but I'd just like to say - PLAY TO THE WHISTLE YOU IDIOT. Caught the ball because he saw the linesman flag Nelson offside, but the ref hadn't blown yet!? Daft.
Xhaka - 6. Thought he was good on the ball but overran by Liverpool's midfield. Could argue that he should've covered the space left by Luiz quicker for their goal. Did well towards the end.
Saka - 6. Nothing spectacular but again showed his maturity with another mature, disciplined display in a 'defensive' position.

Nelson - 6. Didn't think he had an amazing game by any means, but what he did do was work. Hurried Van Dijk into a mistake for the equaliser and finished very well for the winner. Happy for him.
Lacazette - 8. Worked very hard, scored and assisted.
Pepe - 5. First half honestly it was like having a man less (touched the ball 11 times I believe). Second half was much the same, until he moved to the right (his preferred position), where he started getting on the ball, dribbling, etc. I know it isn't ideal but when you're playing against a far superior side, but sometimes you just had to get your head down and do the ugly stuff for the team - look at Saka and Nelson.

Subs:

Ceballos - 5. Bit slow making his mind up at times.
Willock - 5. Put in a shift in an unusual role but missed a sitter to win the game.
Aubameyang - 6. Worked hard, should've had an assist for Willock. Might be the most headers I've seen him win in a game?
Maitland-Niles - 5. Did well putting off Mane when he was in on goal. Unless we're selling him AND Bellerin to bring in a new right back, I don't think I'd be selling him, personally.
Kolasinac - N/A. Not on long.

Weird game as Liverpool dominated the ball and had a lot of efforts on goal, yet we capitalised on two mistakes to win.

The defence looked better than on Sunday. Midfield I didn't think Xhaka and Torreira really worked as a two and we were missing Ceballos. Still need that link between the midfield and attack.

Got two outside chances of getting into the Europa League via the league and FA Cup. Hoping we can make something out of at least one of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2020 16:47 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
Boston Gooner 15 July, 2020 23:26
Martinez got away with one. But once again top marks along with Lacazette.
Cedric certainly isn't going to be good enough.
Torreira, do like the little man. But worry our league is to physical for him.
Ceballos poor again.

Pepe, WHO !!!! guys a disgrace. Honestly how this guy gets game time amazes me. Everyone had to dig in 2nd half. obviously doesn't think it applied to him.
Hopefully doesn't start City match.

Agree with Mattys other marks.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Gunnersingh1 15 July, 2020 23:40
Yes lets not play one of our quickest players against a team who will dominate us and our only hope is on the counter attack!

Pepe had no service and playing him on the left kills his game.

Boston Gooner 15 July, 2020 23:46
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Yes lets not play one of our quickest players against a team who will dominate us and our only hope is on the counter attack!
Pepe had no service and playing him on the left kills his game.

Did you watch it ?
This team dominated us .
Arteta filed a missing persons report with the police at half-time.
Nobody had any service 2nd half.
It was basically back to the wall stuff.
He has to learn to muck in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2020 00:08 by Boston Gooner.

Gunnersingh1 16 July, 2020 00:24
How do we beat City? On the counter attack. Pepe has to play end of story.

Boston Gooner 16 July, 2020 00:37
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
How do we beat City? On the counter attack. Pepe has to play end of story.

But he is shite on the counter attack.
Plus I would have thought it will be another backs to the wall game for us.
You can't have him not grafting again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2020 00:38 by Boston Gooner.

Merlion96 16 July, 2020 01:28
Holding just proved again this point:
We need height in defence to deal with aerial threats.

Kola-Luiz-Mustafi Back-3 is always vulnerable to aerial threat.
By far, Luiz is still our best sweeper, with a reliable old-fashioned CB in Holding holding the fort beside and behind him.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

MattySadler 16 July, 2020 06:13
Nelson becomes our 5th player aged 20 or younger to score in the league this season.

CazOnARola 16 July, 2020 06:28
Pepe 's best position is on the right or in the half spaces in the middle.

Based on the defensive work, Nelson will start

Flava 16 July, 2020 07:55
I love Tierney, buy some more like him

MattySadler 16 July, 2020 08:06
One of the things I liked about Pepe last season was although his main 'starting position' was officially on the right, he'd be drifting and popping up everywhere getting goals and assists. Don't really have the personnel to allow such freedom at the moment which I guess is why he's being asked to play in a bit more of a structured/ disciplined way.

Get that it isn't his role but against a side like Liverpool, and City on Saturday, you just have to work for the team.

Agree with Caz that may be why Nelson gets the nod.

weedz 16 July, 2020 08:47
Good analysis Matty, although I thought Xhaka was a lot more influential than Torreira
Like Merl, I reckon Holding creates more stability, along side Luiz, than any other combo we have at the back. And yes Boston, I know Mustafi has more pace, but, for me, Holding has less mistakes in his game.
And for all of his stuff ups, Luiz is definitely our best CB. Which doesn't say much, but I though he was commanding last night.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

CazOnARola 16 July, 2020 10:29
Quote:
weedz
Good analysis Matty, although I thought Xhaka was a lot more influential than Torreira
Like Merl, I reckon Holding creates more stability, along side Luiz, than any other combo we have at the back. And yes Boston, I know Mustafi has more pace, but, for me, Holding has less mistakes in his game.
And for all of his stuff ups, Luiz is definitely our best CB. Which doesn't say much, but I though he was commanding last night.
Holding all become a liability if played in a back 2. He also has a "Kolasinac" like mistake in him. He gave the ball away yesterday as well, but liverpool failed to capitalize.

Holdings best performances against half decent sides have been in a back3. It also needs the other 2CBs to be quicker than him and be better on the ball to cover for him. So Mari, Sokratis and Kolasinac cannot be the left sided CB, if holding of also playing in the team.

Luiz is the only constant and the best sweeper, defender, passer in the back 5 in this team.

If Tierney will be played as the left CB and saka covers the LWB position, then it's possible to play holding and use his height for defense during set pieces.

Gunnersingh1 16 July, 2020 16:55
Agree with Caz on Holding.

If Holding plays against City they will press him amd he'll make mistakes galore.

Sokratis should be playing. He's our quickest CB and he can defend well when he's not asked to play out.

goonerred 16 July, 2020 17:44
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Agree with Caz on Holding.
If Holding plays against City they will press him amd he'll make mistakes galore.

Sokratis should be playing. He's our quickest CB and he can defend well when he's not asked to play out.
When did he last play though?

weedz 17 July, 2020 02:06
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
weedz
Holding all become a liability if played in a back 2. He also has a "Kolasinac" like mistake in him. He gave the ball away yesterday as well, but liverpool failed to

Holdings best performances against half decent sides have been in a back3. It also needs the other 2CBs to be quicker than him and be better on the ball to cover for him. So Mari, Sokratis and Kolasinac cannot be the left sided CB, if holding of also playing in the team.

Luiz is the only constant and the best sweeper, defender, passer in the back 5 in this team.

If Tierney will be played as the left CB and saka covers the LWB position, then it's possible to play holding and use his height for defense during set pieces.

Sorry Caz, I wasn't suggesting we return to a back2, but it read that way.
I'm suggesting that in a back3, 2 of those players should be Luiz and Holding.
Teirney is the only real option at LCB ATM, cuz Mari is out and Kolazinac is awful.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

MattySadler 17 July, 2020 06:11
A lot of Holding's best games for us can at LCB. Guess if you're comfortable on your opposite side it means you've got a bigger picture on the pitch when you're bringing the ball out. Would prefer we just defended well, first and foremost.

I'm fine with Tierney there and Saka LWB though.

CazOnARola 17 July, 2020 12:35
Quote:
weedz
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
weedz
Holding all become a liability if played in a back 2. He also has a "Kolasinac" like mistake in him. He gave the ball away yesterday as well, but liverpool failed to

Sorry Caz, I wasn't suggesting we return to a back2, but it read that way.
I'm suggesting that in a back3, 2 of those players should be Luiz and Holding.
Teirney is the only real option at LCB ATM, cuz Mari is out and Kolazinac is awful.
Yep mustafi is quick, but he has a mistake in him as does holding. Holding definitely helps in the air. Against city though, i might take mustafi as their game is more about turning their markers. Sane on holding doesn't fill me with much confidence, even if it happens 1-2 times, it may be enough to get city a goal.

I've always felt its better to play 3 fullbacks in a back 4 vs guardiola teams as they rarely use height or physique. Recovery pace and anticipation are way more important.

If in a back 3, id be tempted to go luiz, mustafi and Tierney specifically against city.

Id pick holding for other games ahead of mustafi.

Mustafi may well have a howler, but every single defender has that howler in him currently in our team smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2020 08:27 by CazOnARola.

Lewis_198four 17 July, 2020 22:19
I’ve stopped watching after the blatant cheatery of the Leicester game
I’m catching the results but the league is over for me
Arsenal! Couldn’t bloody do it
4 games that was all
Anyway I’m FA cup all the way
That’s our cup
And we are playing United in the final
We’ve won it once more than them
Let’s make it 2
F&Ck Man Utd forever

AFC
RULE!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net