Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Tottenham
Discussion started by MattySadler , 12 July, 2020 19:02
Player Ratings vs. Tottenham
MattySadler 12 July, 2020 19:02
Martinez - 7. Made good saves including Davies, Kane twice and Son.

Mustafi - 5. Honestly fine for about 75 minutes but the last 15 he lost it and returned to his panicky, rash true self.
Luiz - 5. Not blaming him for the equaliser personally but thought generally he looked off the pace and second best.
Kolasinac - 1. The bloke has looked shaky ever since moving into the back three so we can't say this hasn't been coming. Honestly awful today, terrified whenever the ball is near him. Criminal carelessness for the equaliser.

Bellerin - 5. Tried getting forward a few times. Upsetting how much pace he has lost.
Ceballos - 7. I know BG disagrees but I thought he was the best player on the pitch. Had faded by the end but before that he was literally everywhere. Most touches of any player today I believe.
Xhaka - 6. Did well for the goal. Not much else to say.
Tierney - 6. Was okay. One great delivery in the first half. Don't know why he was on Alderweireld though?

Pepe - 5. He had some bright moments later on in the first half but we still need more from him really.
Lacazette - 6. Scored a great goal and almost made one for Auba.
Aubameyang - 5. I'm aware of what he can and can't do well. Not expecting him to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make things from nothing, but wanted a bit more life than that. Two good chances in the second half.

Started awfully, improved a bit, didn't score and then lost it late on.

Don't think any of us were under any illusions. As well as things have gone the last few games, we all wanted big changes personnel-wise in the summer. Today unfortunately was a reminder why.

We have so many defenders on our books and still had Kolasinac at LCB. Shifting these unwanted players isn't going to be easy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/07/2020 16:17 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Tottenham
Eboractos 12 July, 2020 19:11
I think a 5 is very generous for Mustafi. He is an awful awful defender

Padre Pio 12 July, 2020 19:17
Thanks for ratings Matt. I have also put this up as a main feature with link back, your intro seems to have missed we have scored a goal although you credited Laca.
I agree with most of them, close between Martinez and Ceballos, maybe its a first with a tie for the marginal honour.

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2020 19:21 by Padre Pio.

MattySadler 12 July, 2020 19:43
Quote:
Eboractos
I think a 5 is very generous for Mustafi. He is an awful awful defender

Honestly thought he was sound till the last 15 when he just lost his head.

Absolute worst case scenario for us is we're stuck with Luiz, Sokratis and Mustafi until the end of next season, and Kolasinac until the end of the following season. Hopefully we can get rid before then but even if we completely waive transfer fees it will be hard.

MattySadler 12 July, 2020 19:48
I'd like to see Holding put in at LCB, arguably where he has played his best games for us, rather than persisting with Kolasinac.

Eboractos 12 July, 2020 19:57
Well hopefully Matt not one of those players you listed will be first choice next season. A back 4 of Tierney, Mari, Saliba and Bellerin might give us a chance but I can't see that happening if we've given Luiz an extension when we already have back up in Chambers and Holding.

Boston Gooner 12 July, 2020 20:25
Martinez my motm again.
Closely followed by Lacazette. Scored a great goal and worked hard until he tired towards the end.
Today showed how we missed Nketiah or Martinelli on the bench.

So disappointed in Pepe again.
Could well be one of the costliest flops.
He has no passion and he just doesn't look up for a scrap.
Give him a point for at least getting his shirt on the right way.

If Aubameyang thought we had changed enough for him to stay this may well have changed his mind again.

We have so many defenders and can't get a half decent back line.
We will struggle to move them on to anyone else.
Nobody buys shite defenders except us.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

goonerred 12 July, 2020 20:36
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Martinez my motm again.
Closely followed by Lacazette. Scored a great goal and worked hard until he tired towards the end.
Today showed how we missed Nketiah or Martinelli on the bench.

So disappointed in Pepe again.
Could well be one of the costliest flops.
He has no passion and he just doesn't look up for a scrap.
Give him a point for at least getting his shirt on the right way.

If Aubameyang thought we had changed enough for him to stay this may well have changed his mind again.

We have so many defenders and can't get a half decent back line.
We will struggle to move them on to anyone else.
Nobody buys shite defenders except us.

Merlion96 13 July, 2020 02:05
When Arteta took over, how times had we seen that we led 1-0 and ending up with a draw or loss?

Since he joined us on 19 December, he had the players to train for 6 months and played competitive football for 3 months.
No doubt he got the players to play his way, sharp passing and mobility to ensure we always have an open player to pass to.

But it is a system for robotic players who can execute precise passes, runners who ran into space and instinctively formed a triangle to circulate the balls while looking for passing channels with no flair, no creative playmaking, no unpredictability, simply pass the ball to death and hoping for a "David Luiz" slip of a howler, a "Kolasinac looking down at feet" missed pass and a "Mustafi" slippage.

Hence, Ozil is an luxury and a slow-thinking Guendouzi are of no use to this system, just willing runner and robotic players like Xhaka and Ceballos who all can find precise passing angle with accurate through balls.

Crosses?
Please, Bellerin is form the old "Arsene Wenger" school to play the ball on the ground, and never wasted a ball by crossing into the box. No wonder he wanted out and contemplating his future as a robotic player under Arteta.

This is what we will expect in the near future and next season.
Robotic triangles with ball circulation forward, backward and sideway, but little penetration.

83% possession during first 20 minutes of 2nd half, and lost 1-2.
Indeed, a patient Jose read Arteta like a naive student with his players just patiently waiting for Arteta's team trademark howlers to score easily.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Trent2000 13 July, 2020 15:01
How do we blame Arteta for the error prone back four?

We controlled the game til that dumb ass mistake, so unreal how we precede with the same error prone players that are so slow, jsut no options till next season.

I am glad no silly Thursday night games and we can really try for the 4th place trophy next season.

Positives are Tiernary, Martinez (incredible save) and Ceballos.

Pains me to think Luiz is signed for another season, unreal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net