Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Saliba in talks over Saint-Etienne cup final extension.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 30 June, 2020 13:54
Saliba in talks over Saint-Etienne cup final extension.
Boston Gooner 30 June, 2020 13:54
Saliba's loan stay at Saint-Etienne is due to end today but Arsenal are locked in talks over an extension.

Mikel Arteta wants William Saliba to complete his loan spell at Saint-Etienne with a cup final appearance as he preaches caution over burgeoning expectations for the Arsenal youngster.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Saliba in talks over Saint-Etienne cup final extension.
mapleleafgooner 30 June, 2020 20:51
I feel better with our central defence options with Holding getting back to form after his recent displays and Mustafi looking less error proned than before. We still have experience in Sokratis and youth in Chambers coming back. Now that Mari is signed we are well stocked. I would not be surprised if Arteta goes for 3 at the back to accommodate all the CDs we now have. With Soares signed, I think we should sell Bellerin to a highest bidder.

goonerred 30 June, 2020 22:00
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
I feel better with our central defence options with Holding getting back to form after his recent displays and Mustafi looking less error proned than before. We still have experience in Sokratis and youth in Chambers coming back. Now that Mari is signed we are well stocked. I would not be surprised if Arteta goes for 3 at the back to accommodate all the CDs we now have. With Soares signed, I think we should sell Bellerin to a highest bidder.

Chambers and Bellerin are 25, Holding is 25 in September, they're not that young really in terms of making a mark. Bellering did,then just dropped right off, too many injuries?

SuperRob 01 July, 2020 08:55
Saint-Etienne unhappy with ‘unacceptable’ Arsenal demands after Saliba agreement collapses

[arseblog.news]

Boston Gooner 01 July, 2020 09:23
Arsenal.com
Further to the news that William Saliba will not be extending his loan at St Etienne, we have the following statement:

“Throughout our discussions with St Etienne, our aim has been to protect the welfare of William Saliba as well as the interests of Arsenal Football Club, while honouring the terms of the loan.

"Despite the loan ending on June 30, we were willing to find a way for William to play in the [French] cup final on July 24, despite having no contractual obligation to do so.

"As William is returning from injury, we asked that St Etienne follow a clear training plan with William in close collaboration with us, to ensure he is fully fit for the start of next season.

"To our surprise we were unable to reach agreement to this plan which was proposed by our medical experts, and we are simply not prepared to risk the welfare of an Arsenal player.

"While it was not our primary concern, and ultimately not relevant as our training plan was not accepted, we also expected not to be financially disadvantaged by extending the loan. This was also not acceptable to St Etienne.

"We know this is a disappointment for William but he understands we are working to protect his long-term interests and those of Arsenal.”

Willy 01 July, 2020 09:55
A lot of people criticising the board on this and worrying that Saliba will be disgruntled. I think we did the right thing and St Etienne were very petty in going public. Feel sorry for the player but that's business, we can't afford to lose 2.5m at the moment.

Gooner Sod 01 July, 2020 13:00
Yeah good decision.

He's our big hope next season as it doesn't look like we'll be signing a top class defender in summer. So we really can't afford for him to get injured long term playing for St Ettiene. Too risky as he's already had a bad injury recently.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

MattySadler 01 July, 2020 13:11
I really wanted Saliba to play in the final, but not if it's going to cost us £2.5 million.

Flava 01 July, 2020 14:03
I think we've acted like a proper club\business should. About time too. The notion that we would let Saliba play in the Final and pay £2.5m for the privilege is absurd

goonerred 01 July, 2020 14:06
Quote:
Flava
I think we've acted like a proper club\business should. About time too. The notion that we would let Saliba play in the Final and pay £2.5m for the privilege is absurd

Agree, about time we looked after ourselves a bit more.

CazOnARola 02 July, 2020 12:50
Quote:
Flava
Exactly. Saliba has to be professional about it and get over it.

Shane 02 July, 2020 16:06
This game would've had a lot of Arsenal eyes on it if he was allowed to play and it would've been good for us as fans - and him - if Cavani or someone tore him to shreds for 90 minutes.

He's literally a teenager and we need a reminder of that before we expect him to transform our defence and make a show of seasoned professionals like Luiz or Mustafi.

Boston Gooner 02 July, 2020 16:16
I agree some may think he's the saviour to our B/Line.
He may need awhile to get hardened up for the Prem.
Or it has been known for teenagers to be top draw.

We shall see.

MattySadler 02 July, 2020 17:10
Quote:
Shane
This game would've had a lot of Arsenal eyes on it if he was allowed to play and it would've been good for us as fans - and him - if Cavani or someone tore him to shreds for 90 minutes.
He's literally a teenager and we need a reminder of that before we expect him to transform our defence and make a show of seasoned professionals like Luiz or Mustafi.

This in excess. I've watched Saliba five times or so this season and I've certainly liked what I've seen but expecting to come here and change the world is not realistic. The way some speak about him on Twitter is insane.

It's no different from when Nelson's excellent October/ November in Germany got over-hyped and some expected him to come straight back into the starting eleven.

I see Rob Holding getting over-hyped a lot on Twitter as well.

Boston Gooner 02 July, 2020 18:41
Apparently he's not a happy little bunny.

Shane 04 July, 2020 09:52
Quote:
MattySadler
It's no different from when Nelson's excellent October/ November in Germany got over-hyped and some expected him to come straight back into the starting eleven.

Amen mate. I worry it could be even worse Saliba, simply because of how desperately we need good centre-backs. We didn't need Nelson to be brilliant as much as we need Saliba to be. It's really unfair.

Padre Pio 04 July, 2020 10:03
The stuff about Mikki peas me off, what a waste of money, but at least a £200,000 wk wage bill off the books

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Boston Gooner 04 July, 2020 10:17
Quote:
Padre Pio
The stuff about Mikki peas me off, what a waste of money, but at least a £200,000 wk wage bill off the books

???

Lewis_198four 04 July, 2020 13:28
Henrikh shittytearen
So is Saliba back with us then?

AFC
RULE!

Boston Gooner 06 July, 2020 23:33
Arsenal and Saint-Etienne have reportedly restarted negotiations over William Saliba’s availability for the Coupe de France final.

A report from L’Equipe (via GFFN) claims discussions are at a very advanced stage for the young defender to feature in the final on the 24th July.

Negotiations had initially broke down between the two clubs towards the end of June with both teams releasing separate statements

Lewis_198four 06 July, 2020 23:34
I hope he gets to play

AFC
RULE!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net