Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

1979 FA CUP FINAL!
Discussion started by Lewis_198four , 12 May, 2020 14:43
1979 FA CUP FINAL!
Lewis_198four 12 May, 2020 14:43
41 years ago
I wasn’t born then but I remember growing up with stories about Alan Sunderland from my uncle and grandparents
The Arsenal Umbro tracksuit
Pat Rice
And how hot it was that day
So for me, purely because of memories of home
That final is up there in my top 5
In order
1: 2005 vs Man Utd. Proper holding my breath in that one.
2: 1993 vs Sheffield Wednesday. First time I watched a final with my family.
3: 1998 vs Newcastle. DOUBLE DOUBLE!!
4: 2002 vs Chelsea. Ray Parlour my favourite ever player
5. 1979 vs Man Utd. Pat Jennings is the best goalkeeper in the world according to my grandad.

AFC
RULE!

Re: 1979 FA CUP FINAL!
weedz 12 May, 2020 22:01
I remember it well, Lewis. It started at about 2.30 or 3.00 AM on this side of our rock, so it was live on TV for me.
What made it so good was that we were the better team for most of the game.
It felt like we were going to win, only for those 2 or 3 minutes and 2 goals to bring us back down to earth.
And then Bradey drove down the left side, delivered a brilliant cross that was assisted on to Sunderland to score, making it 3-2
So it was a classic 'Rolla-coaster' of emotions.
The only time I have jumped higher from my couch was when Thomas got that goal in '89'.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Lewis_198four 12 May, 2020 23:06
I’ve seen that goal so many times it’s etched into my consciousness.

AFC
RULE!

weedz 12 May, 2020 23:20
Same

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

djarse 13 May, 2020 11:07
For the 79 final I was on a plane coming back to the UK from a holiday abroad. The captain asked over the system if people were interested in the Cup Final and lots of people shouted: "Yes". So after a while he announced that Arsenal had taken the lead, then later that we had scored again. Like those watching it live, I relaxed back in my seat, ordered another drink and assumed victory. I was just checking my watch to see how long there was left (4/5 minutes) when the captain announced - Manchester United have just scored to make it 2-1. I still felt confident. And then he came on the air again and said : "Well, well, well.....Manchester United have just equalised with a minute left to make it 2-2". Crestfallen and frustrated (it was like watching football on teletext for those who can remember those halcyon days) I sat back nervously. "You're not going to believe this" the Captain shouted for the first time over the speakers - I feared the worst. "Arsenal have just scored again to make it 3-2 and won the game". I was exhausted - I needed another holiday.

Boston Gooner 13 May, 2020 11:14
djarse
Great post .

I was lucky enough to be at that game.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

weedz 13 May, 2020 22:27
djarse (Sm152)

Lewis_198four 14 May, 2020 00:39
Ha great story

AFC
RULE!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net