Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Should PL football clubs use taxpayers money?
Discussion started by goonerred , 02 April, 2020 08:47
Should PL football clubs use taxpayers money?
goonerred 02 April, 2020 08:47
[www.bbc.co.uk]
Non-playing staff are being asked to take cuts and using the furlough scheme to top up wages, players are not taking a cut. What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Should PL football clubs use taxpayers money?
Padre Pio 02 April, 2020 09:27
I think its pathetic and amoral. The people they are laying off are on a tiny fraction compared to players. Nor are Premier Clubs completely without income, image rights, brands, sponsors and and products still pay some kind of income.
Will season ticket holders get a rebate? I doubt it.
They must have the majority of this seasons income already.

I suggest players donate 20 percent of their income into a pool to help the lower paid during the crisis

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

goonerred 02 April, 2020 09:34
Quote:
Padre Pio
I think its pathetic and amoral. The people they are laying off are on a tiny fraction compared to players. Nor are Premier Clubs completely without income, image rights, brands, sponsors and and products still pay some kind of income.

I suggest players donate 20 percent of their income into a pool to help the lower paid during the crisis
My thoughts entirely. Their greed knows no bounds. People on minimum wages and low incomes are the ones the taxpayer should be supporting. Stuff the banks, rich airlines etc. This is the time to bail out the workers and small businesses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2020 09:34 by goonerred.

younghansolo 02 April, 2020 11:20
Not only that Padre, but it's the sort of terrible decision that will see the end of some football clubs. Trying to maintain the current status quo for players after this event is foolhardy. Everyone is going to have to accept that the days of lavish contracts are gone for a good period of time.

The supply chain is gone. TV companies will want their money (Sky is letting everyone pause their membership,) sponsors don't have the money to keep paying (even Emirates are struggling for money and reliant on bailouts.)

Clubs should be restructuring from top to bottom. Including players if they want to survive.

goonerred 02 April, 2020 19:29
Lineker step in to defend PL footballers 'Give them time'. How much time do they need?
From one over rich footballer to others.
[www.goal.com]

Boston Gooner 03 April, 2020 16:44
Premier League clubs will consult their players over a possible 30 per cent wage cut during the coronavirus pandemic.

Following a meeting between all 20 clubs on Friday, it was confirmed that matches will not resume at the beginning of May and that the season will only restart when it safe to do so.

The league also said a £125m solidarity payment will be made to the EFL and £20m will be donated to the NHS.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

goonerred 03 April, 2020 17:39
A possible 30%. Make sure you hang on to that cash boys.

weedz 03 April, 2020 21:13
Most of the sporting codes in Aust/NZ are taking far larger cuts than 20-30%. In most codes, soccer, union, league, the figure is a 70% cut and that is matched by the admin as well.
The players are on board and the CEO of the Aust. Rugby Union will step down from her job in a couple of weeks.
All sports admin is being dramatically cut and there's talk that some codes won't come thru this, although I believe Governments will step in to keep sports going.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Padre Pio 03 April, 2020 23:17
"Not only that Padre, but it's the sort of terrible decision that will see the end of some football clubs. Trying to maintain the current status quo for players after this event is foolhardy. Everyone is going to have to accept that the days of lavish contracts are gone for a good period of time."

Probably true, but also the rich owners need to put a lot more back into the game including the lower leagues. The Prem has been awash with money for far too long

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 04 April, 2020 00:45
I think this situation is akin to that "let them eat cakes" period just before the French Revolution.

Certainly, COVID-19 had exposed the greed of professional football in UK which had gone out of control and fuelled by obscene amount of money by broadcasting companies.
It is like football fans had been hooked on an opioid with broadcasting companies as the opioid manufacturers and football clubs are traffickers selling them on the streets. And of course, those footballers are their walking advertising models pushing this opioid.

COVID-19 is now driving the world into a sharp recession, worse than 2008 Financial Crisis.
It will take years to recover and will change the employment landscape.
The worse aspect is that companies are waking up to the notion of robotics, AI, advanced manufacturing systems and data analytic using minimal workers or devoid of human operators on factory floor.
It shows up the weak link of globalisation with supply chain disrupted once it becomes overtly dependence on a faraway country like China or India as "the factory of the world" or "the outsourcing capital of the world".

Same for Football.
Deep resentments will set in over those crass behaviours of professional football industry when their very customers are crying for help.
And if one country goes into deep recession for the next 2 years, who can afford to pay for their TV subscription and their expensive season tickets and overpriced merchandises?
And how many tens of millions they are losing now with their lucrative Asian summer travels banned for the next 2 or3 years?

My take is that 2020 to 2022 is recession and hopefully by 2023, world Economy will start to pick up.

EU?
P.I.I.G.S. are already in financial crisis before COVID-19.
Guess what? Who has the financial muscles to rescue them in 2021, never mind 2020?

Brexit?
You all get lucky and side-step that current and future massive financial burden to rescue P.I.I.G.S.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Bergmars 04 April, 2020 10:27
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Padre Pio

My thoughts entirely. Their greed knows no bounds. People on minimum wages and low incomes are the ones the taxpayer should be supporting. Stuff the banks, rich airlines etc. This is the time to bail out the workers and small businesses.

Under new managment

goonerred 04 April, 2020 13:32
Footballers not happy about people telling they should take a pay cut It is up to them. I object when non-playing staff are being payed by the taxpayer whilst they still earn a million a month. They are not coming out very well in all of this.

goonerred 04 April, 2020 15:02
[www.bbc.co.uk]
Liverpool furlough non-playing staff and use TAXPAYERS money to get 80% of their wages.

It's a disgrace. Is it wrong that it bugs me so much when you have players earning millions who are reluctant to take a pay cut?

goonerred 05 April, 2020 09:49
Me again.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

How about this, you give some of your massive wages to the non-playing staff, that way the NHS won't lose any money, and the taxpayer's (NHS money) is not used up paying furlough to people when they didn't have to.

djarse 05 April, 2020 13:08
From the Guardian

Thousands of casual workers at major football stadiums 'left without pay' - including at Emirates:

[www.theguardian.com]

Padre Pio 05 April, 2020 15:57
Quote:
djarse
From the Guardian
Thousands of casual workers at major football stadiums 'left without pay' - including at Emirates:

[www.theguardian.com]

Its a disgrace and we are not immune from it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net