Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

The threat is now.. Please read
Discussion started by CazOnARola , 14 March, 2020 18:24
The threat is now.. Please read
CazOnARola 14 March, 2020 18:24
[medium.com]

In this theoretical model that resembles loosely Hubei, waiting one more day creates 40% more cases! So, maybe, if the Hubei authorities had declared the lockdown on 1/22 instead of 1/23, they might have reduced the number of cases by a staggering 20k.
And remember, these are just cases. Mortality would be much higher, because not only would there be directly 40% more deaths. There would also be a much higher collapse of the healthcare system, leading to a mortality rate up to 10x higher as we saw before. So a one-day difference in social distancing measures can end exploding the number of deaths in your community by multiplying more cases and higher fatality rate.
This is an exponential threat. Every day counts. When you’re delaying by a single day a decision, you’re not contributing to a few cases maybe. There are probably hundreds or thousands of cases in your community already. Every day that there isn’t social distancing, these cases grow exponentially.
Share the Word
This is probably the one time in the last decade that sharing an article might save lives. They need to understand this to avert a catastrophe. The moment to act is now.

Re: The threat is now.. Please read
CazOnARola 14 March, 2020 18:26
Sorry for the spam, but i needed to get it out to explain how exponential threats work.

Bottom line of the above article, by just delaying social distancing a day, the eventual death count will increase by 40%.

If any of you are in a position to let your employees work from home or are yourself in a position to avoid socializing, please do it now!
Not tomorrow , not day after

AJ The Gunner 14 March, 2020 19:03
Unfortunately in Nigeria we are not taking it serious.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

goonerred 14 March, 2020 20:15
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Unfortunately in Nigeria we are not taking it serious.

I worry about Africa being gripped by it.

Padre Pio 14 March, 2020 22:54
I started isolation today, Im not taking any chances. Im already bored shitless

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 14 March, 2020 23:29
But Padre, isolation by oneself is like one hand clapping.
You need your neighbourhood to be socially responsible and stay in isolation as well.
Meaning, whenever you are out and about after 14 days, you need to be more careful of social interaction and physical contacts when you are up and about moving in the public.

I saw people scared stiff of pressing a lift button and uses a pen or a plastic card to press it.
Remember, the vius can stay alive for 12 hours on metallic surface?

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Merlion96 14 March, 2020 23:55
The latest news is that Spain had a horrifying 1,500 cases yesterday.
People are not taking their social responsibility seriously enough.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

CazOnARola 15 March, 2020 00:54
Quote:
Merlion96
The latest news is that Spain had a horrifying 1,500 cases yesterday.
People are not taking their social responsibility seriously enough.
This is exactly the pbm

Padre Pio 15 March, 2020 08:02
Quote:
Merlion96
But Padre, isolation by oneself is like one hand clapping.
You need your neighbourhood to be socially responsible and stay in isolation as well.
Meaning, whenever you are out and about after 14 days, you need to be more careful of social interaction and physical contacts when you are up and about moving in the public.

I saw people scared stiff of pressing a lift button and uses a pen or a plastic card to press it.
Remember, the vius can stay alive for 12 hours on metallic surface?

Yes it might be on own, but it improves my chances. better than being on tube, 181,000 signed UK petition for emergency debate Parliament will have to discuss now.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

goonerred 15 March, 2020 09:06
Quote:
Padre Pio
I started isolation today, Im not taking any chances. Im already bored shitless
I'm not in the 'at risk' category and I work from home, but I am just shopping for basics and not going out otherwise. My husband works in a University so he is more at risk than me and could bring it home. They are reducing lectures to online now though.

I think they will close schools and Univeristies about two weeks before they would normally close for Easter so that they get at least 4 weeks of 'lockdown', with minimum disruption.

Padre Pio 15 March, 2020 10:42
Very sensible, I wish govt would be more decisive

goonerred 15 March, 2020 10:45
I feel a bit rough really. I had a bad cold/'flu? about 4 weeks ago. I thought I'd got over it and went to the gym a couple of times and started running, I did two 3 mile runs well, then last Wednesday I ran 3 miles and it was a struggle from start to finish. My throat has since been a bit scratchy and I had a bit of a cough. I haven't coughed today and don't have a temperature, I don't think my body has fully got rid of the virus. I don't think it's the virus though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2020 11:23 by goonerred.

Boston Gooner 15 March, 2020 11:12
Quote:
goonerred
I feel a bit rough really. I had a bad cold/'flu? about 4 weeks ago. I thought I'd got over it and went to the gym a couple of times and started running, I did two 3 mile runs well, then last Wednesday I ran 3 miles and it was a struggle from start to finish. My throat has since been a bit scratchy and I had a bit of a cough. I haven't coughed today and don't have a temperature, I don't think my body has fully got rid of the virus. I don't think it's the virus though.

You take care.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

goonerred 15 March, 2020 11:22
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

You take care.
Thanks. We only have one know case in my county, I know that could be more as they're not testing everyone now.

goonerred 15 March, 2020 16:17
35 dead in the UK now. RIP 1,372 confirmed cases.

Padre Pio 15 March, 2020 16:21
2.5% of confirmed cases have died. Of course many more cases not confirmed, but at same time a percentage of newly confirmed cases will die.

goonerred 16 March, 2020 10:54
Sky hyping the masses up. Whatever you believe about the Government's handling of the crisis, asking foreign mps if the British Government is behaving irresponsibly is a bit much in my opinion. All countries are acting differently, Trump was calling it fake news until this weekend. Time will tell and I'm not sure if we are doing the right thing, but we are in umprecedented times and we all need to pull together. (Grrr to all those idiots who have stockplied, I can't get my basic amount handwash and soap.)

We should have daily bulletins though and they are going to do that now. I do think closing schools causes other problems, like grandparents, the very people at risk, will be looking after them. I think that will happen in a couple of week's time.

And I also think WHO not calling it a pandemic until the middle of last week when hundreds were dying in Italy, was also too late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 11:06 by goonerred.

goonerred 16 March, 2020 11:22
Only in America!!!

[metro.co.uk]

Padre Pio 16 March, 2020 12:45
School near me closed because a student had the virus and its gone into deep clean.
This govt has not handled this well, and still none the wiser as to what measure of social distancing should be taken

CazOnARola 16 March, 2020 13:14
Why the @#$%& are schools and universities all open. Its mine boggling. Herd immunity or not

CazOnARola 16 March, 2020 13:17
They can be converted into a daycare for children of health workers, but that's about it.

goonerred 16 March, 2020 13:39
This could go on for weeks and months. I don't know if we are doing the right thing, but I can understand the rationale behind it.

Let's be honest, this was always going to happen. China weren't honest about the outbreak of the virus and were sending the police in to silence the doctors who first identifed it. One poor doctor who tried to alert the authorities to it has now died of the virus. I saw a British man being interviewed who was in China and he contracted the virus in November, eventually having to go to hospital with pnuemonia, so it's been around a lot long than they are saying. All countries should have stopped flights from China and travel at the outset. I thnk Italy were screening at airports then banned flights a few weeks in, all too late. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!

tigerline 16 March, 2020 18:52
Quote:
goonerred
Only in America!!!
[metro.co.uk]

Disgusting.
I have not seen that here in Louisiana ... but that is probably because so many here are already armed.
Sad state of affairs.

weedz 16 March, 2020 21:00
Living in a country with a low population base does have some advantages, so it seems.
Here in NZ we have 6 confirmed cases with no deaths. We are also one of the worlds most isolated countries, but our Government has taken huge steps to contain the spread of the Corona virus.
All sporting events, entertainment events and mass meetings have been cancelled. We've effectively closed our boarders with returning Kiwis having to self isolated for 14 days.
Businesses are not starting to close down, but I believe such actions are on the horrizon.
Last Fri we buried my Mother-in-law, with my Brother-law-law and his family over from Australia, just making it back home by about 3 hrs before Aust followed NZs lead in closing it's boarders. They would have been forced into self-isolation.
The craziness of panic buying is nowhere as bad as it has been overseas and as we are basically a food producing nation, shortages are not our main concern. People's health is, by far, the most important concern.
I wish all on AT the best for the coming weeks/months. stay well, stay safe, stay Arsenal.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Boston Gooner 16 March, 2020 22:06
And all the best to you Weedz and your family in lovely NZ.

Gunnersingh1 16 March, 2020 22:19
I'm scared. I've seen the latest projections by our goverment and it's very sobbering to say the least.

Take care everyone.

Boston Gooner 16 March, 2020 23:16
Scientists warn 250,000 will die unless stricter virus measures are adopted.

Around 250,000 people will die in Britain as a result of the coronavirus outbreak unless more draconian measures are adopted to protect the population, scientists have warned.

The Imperial College Covid-19 response team – which has been advising ministers – said that even with the "social distancing" plans set out by the Government, the health system will be "overwhelmed many times over".

In its latest report, it said the only "viable strategy" is a Chinese-style policy of "suppression" involving the social distancing of the entire population.

It said such measures would need to be maintained potentially for 18 months or more until an effective vaccine became available.

The stark warning came after Boris Johnson unveiled unprecedented peacetime measures to try to control the spread of Covid-19.

In the first of his daily No 10 press conferences, the Prime Minister called on people to stay away from pubs, clubs and theatres and to avoid all non-essential contacts and travel.

Padre Pio 16 March, 2020 23:44
Hi Weedz your Prime Minister also wisely refused entry to Cruise Ships this week, or perhaps earlier.
Gunnersingh are you in a target group? Over 70, or an underlying illness? If not you will almost certainly be ok.
One problem we didnt forsee is there will now be mass unemployment.
There is a good community spirit here on this site now, it will be good if we can all drop in every now and then and let each other know whats happening.
Football just doesnt seem that important right now, I'm more excited by vaccine development that will we be in the Euro. Ive also got 5 seasons of Preacher to catch up on.
Keep well all
And be careful out there

Boston Gooner 17 March, 2020 00:00
I suppose where I live (Lincolnshire) we can count ourselves fortunate at this moment in time.
Less than a handful of confirmed cases.
That's not to say there are more walking about though.

2 or 3 months ago none of us realised this could be one of the most devastating things in our lives.

Take care to all.

Gunnersingh1 17 March, 2020 00:00
Quote:
Padre Pio
Hi Weedz your Prime Minister also wisely refused entry to Cruise Ships this week, or perhaps earlier.
Gunnersingh are you in a target group? Over 70, or an underlying illness? If not you will almost certainly be ok.
One problem we didnt forsee is there will now be mass unemployment.
There is a good community spirit here on this site now, it will be good if we can all drop in every now and then and let each other know whats happening.
Football just doesnt seem that important right now, I'm more excited by vaccine development that will we be in the Euro. Ive also got 5 seasons of Preacher to catch up on.
Keep well all
And be careful out there

Hi Padre,

No am not anywhere near 70 but I worry for family and friends. This last few months for me has been terrible to say the least.

People have already lost thier jobs at my office. The housing market is obviously sufferring like everthing else.

One thing I've noticed is people are being a bit more kind to each other which is great. Love and health to everyone.

weedz 17 March, 2020 00:10
Quote:
Padre Pio

Hi Padre. Yes, the cruise ships were stopped last week, but it's all double edged sword stuff, all the same
Tourism is our 2nd biggest earner, so we will be hurt like most others.
Yesterday our reserve bank lowered the base lending rate to .25%. The lowest it has ever been in our history, to try and keep our economy buoyant, but hard times are ahead for all of us I fear.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

goonerred 17 March, 2020 07:32
[quote Boston Gooner]I suppose where I live (Lincolnshire) we can count ourselves fortunate at this moment in time.
Less than a handful of confirmed cases.
That's not to say there are more walking about though.

2 or 3 months ago none of us realised this could be one of the most devastating things in our lives.

Take care to all.[/quote
I live there too. I still feel rough, worse yesterday after I walked the dog. I don't feel 'right' this morning. If I don't improve I might phone my GP. Thankfully, I've been more or less staying home apart from a couple of shops. I don't think I have coronavirus, but how do I really know?

Boston Gooner 17 March, 2020 08:00
Ring your GP.

goonerred 17 March, 2020 08:12
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Ring your GP.
I have never had a high temperature and they say to look online for advice, I don't really have the right symptoms. Testing is the only way to know, not everyone is displaying exactly the same symptoms.

goonerred 17 March, 2020 08:18
I've just done the online checker and I don't need to talk with 111 further as I don't fit the criteria. Have I got a temperature and a continous cough, my answer, no.

Boston Gooner 17 March, 2020 08:27
Quote:
goonerred
I've just done the online checker and I don't need to talk with 111 further as I don't fit the criteria. Have I got a temperature and a continous cough, my answer, no.

But you still need to go see you Doctor.
You aren't feeling well.
Ring him.

goonerred 17 March, 2020 09:22
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

But you still need to go see you Doctor.
You aren't feeling well.
Ring him.
You're right. It feels like other illnesses don't matter, but I was ill on the 15th February and I'm still feeling rough, normally I would be thinking of going to the gp now. I don't feel like running, not very much stops me from running.

Padre Pio 17 March, 2020 09:33
Hi Padre,

No am not anywhere near 70 but I worry for family and friends. This last few months for me has been terrible to say the least.

People have already lost thier jobs at my office. The housing market is obviously sufferring like everthing else.

One thing I've noticed is people are being a bit more kind to each other which is great. Love and health to everyone.[/quote]

Thanks Gunner,
I am glad you are not at risk, yes rest of family is a worry, especially not being able to visit the older ones.
Also what is going to happen to all those who become unemployed. I understand Weedz and NZ dilemma but London the same, very dependant on Tourism and the place is emptying out. Nearly all London Theatres shut last night. More and more reports of empty supermarkets.
We are now at the start of a great recession, govts will have to intervene and help those who cannot afford to live.
Keep well all

goonerred 17 March, 2020 11:57
Oh dear my neighbour went shopping, the shelves were cleared and everyone was coughing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2020 11:58 by goonerred.

Padre Pio 17 March, 2020 17:20
Just went in local Sainsbury's plenty of everything apart from sanitiser and hand washes.
Some asshole buying 5 x 9 rolls. I asked staff why didnt they ration but they just shrugged.

goonerred 17 March, 2020 17:35
Quote:
Padre Pio
Just went in local Sainsbury's plenty of everything apart from sanitiser and hand washes.
Some asshole buying 5 x 9 rolls. I asked staff why didnt they ration but they just shrugged.
My nearest Aldi was restricting items to 4 per person on anything yesterday.

goonerred 18 March, 2020 13:14
And so the lockdown starts. The University where my husband works is closing on Friday until after Easter - at the earliest. Noone is allowed in without good reason and the doors will be locked, requiring a special permit to go in.

Boston Gooner 18 March, 2020 13:35
Hospital sent my wife home today because of her poor immune system.

2 weeks off she has. (Sm105)

goonerred 18 March, 2020 14:25
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is she a worker?

Boston Gooner 18 March, 2020 15:27
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is she a worker?

Yes.

goonerred 18 March, 2020 15:50
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is she a worker?

Yes.
I hope you are looking after her then.

goonerred 18 March, 2020 15:51
Every cloud has a silver lining - Eurovision song contest has been cancelled.

Padre Pio 18 March, 2020 16:39
Quote:
goonerred

My sentiment precisely and Eastenders

goonerred 18 March, 2020 18:38
475 more deaths in Italy since yesterday. I keep hoping that they will have reached their peak and start reducing, for their sakes and to give us hope. They are in total lockdown too.

Boston Gooner 18 March, 2020 19:38
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
goonerred

My sentiment precisely and Eastenders

goonerred 19 March, 2020 06:51
Well done Gary! He's opening his hotels to NHS staff free of charge.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

And Chelsea [www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2020 06:54 by goonerred.

goonerred 19 March, 2020 07:23
Is it time to put a huge wall around London and get drunk? Too soon for the latter?

goonerred 19 March, 2020 07:30
After everybody moaning that we hadn't closed the school, now lot of people moaning that they have closed the schools. One parent saying they desperately need clarity from the Govenrment, when will the kids go back to school? Keen to get on the telly and be on the news, clearly she never watches the news!

CazOnARola 19 March, 2020 07:49
Quote:
goonerred
Is it time to put a huge wall around London and get drunk? Too soon for the latter?
Look at New York State, 1200+ New cases and 400+ in New Jersey.

The virus will come for all eventually. We just have to brace ourselves.

Padre Pio 19 March, 2020 08:51
Quote:
goonerred

Not too soon for quite a few round here

weedz 19 March, 2020 11:02
Quote:
goonerred

(Sm22)

goonerred 19 March, 2020 11:35
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
goonerred

Not too soon for quite a few round here
Tesco is running out of beer, bread and freezer stuff and other things of course,.They had no beer deliveries.we're @#$%& I tell you.

goonerred 19 March, 2020 15:47
I also am worried about those poor refugees who were told to head to the EU border because they were told the border was open by Turkey, they couldn't get into the EU and they weren't allowed back to Turkey. They had big troubles before now they may be contending with Corona virus.

Merlion96 21 March, 2020 03:18
News at he other side of the globe:

[www.channelnewsasia.com]

Malaysia locked down the entire country till 31 March 2020.

Singapore taking draconian action and threatened legal action for violation of social distancing.

Stage #2 Coronavirus started with imported cases overtaken local community transmission in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Indonesia is on the verge of exploding into scale of the likes of Italy, Spain, Germany, France and like UK, living in denial for months.

Singapore launch mobile app for contract tracking that your mobile gives an alert when you are one metre away from an infected person. Meaning those on home quarantine should have an app download into their mobile so that innocent bystander is alerted when the infected person is in their presence.

Padre Pio 21 March, 2020 09:42
First arrest in UK yesterday on Isle of Man, man walking in public with the virus.

goonerred 21 March, 2020 11:13
Sobering video. Stay indoors people!!!

[www.youtube.com]

goonerred 21 March, 2020 15:04
[www.bbc.co.uk]

I listened to it on the radio last night. Just thought I'd post the link, it's very frightening. STAY INDOORS, the message from the frontline NHS.

weedz 21 March, 2020 22:25
Quote:
goonerred
[www.youtube.com]

Wow. Powerful stuff for those of us who yet to feel the full threat of this virus. I've placed this interview on my Facebook page.

Thankyou

goonerred 22 March, 2020 09:11
Quote:
weedz
Quote:
goonerred
[www.youtube.com]

Wow. Powerful stuff for those of us who yet to feel the full threat of this virus. I've placed this interview on my Facebook page.

Thankyou
Thank you for doing that. The message needs to get out, this is not a joke. Look at Italy!

weedz 23 March, 2020 01:54
In NZ I'm presently listening to our PM take us to level 3 of the 4 level plan to combat C19.
We move to level 4 in 48hrs. Level4 is complete self-isolation. Only esential services will continue to operate.
At present we have 104 confirmed cases, with no deaths yet. We are being informed constantly and feel assured that everything that needs doing is being done quickly.
Government will pay out 80% of all wages and saleries.
We're being told that the hope is that we'll be over this in 4 to 6 weeks.
lm feeling pleasantly optimistic with the standard of leadership being shown and I have to say we've got a great leader.
Again I hope all my friends on AT are staying safe and well. Victory Thru Harmony.

CazOnARola 23 March, 2020 08:44
Weedz you are lucky.
Your country is choosing people lives over financial impacts. I wish other countries followed suit.

Stay safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net