Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

If the Premier League is suspended / stopped
Discussion started by djarse , 11 March, 2020 15:16
If the Premier League is suspended / stopped
djarse 11 March, 2020 15:16
So the Italian Serie A may not be finished this season: [www.bbc.co.uk]

As they reckon we are two weeks behind Italy, what if that happens here?

Apparently the Italian Football authorities are investigating options including:

* Writing off the whole season and starting again next season
* Finalising the season with the points and places as that are now
* The idea of some sort of play-off system

If that happened here.....

* Writing off the season - probably good news for us all things considered, bit of a bummer for Liverpool and Leicester who have had sensational and cracking seasons respectively. Liverpool's long wait for winning the League might carry on......

* Finalising the season as it is now - depends on when you define "now". If you define "now" as literally now, we are currently 9th behind Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Chelsea in the top 4 places, Man United, Wolves, Sheffield United, Spurs. But Man City, Sheffield United and us have played one game less. So we would get a Europa League place if Man City's ban was upheld. But if Arsenal miss the City game tonight and Brighton on the weekend due to the virus, we will have played less games and probably have less points and a lower league position than currently because of the impact of Coronavirus. Burnley, Everton & Palace could all easily slip ahead of us in the next week or so if we don't play games due to so many players being in self isolation. So for us, the best option is if they define the close of the season as being when the first impact was on the Premiership (ie now) rather than in a week or two's time.

* Some form of play-off - good luck with working that one out without a legal challenge from someone it disadvantaged

I know this is speculation at this point but I think there is a real possibility that it might happen and all these scenarios will be hotly contested by those who see advantage in one over the other.

Re: If the Premier League is suspended / stopped
Boston Gooner 11 March, 2020 15:50
It surely can't be Finalising the season as it is now.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

goonerred 11 March, 2020 16:19
If the PL finished before time, Liverpool should get the league, they do deserve it, especially losing it by one point last year which would have given them the title any other year. The rest in the top 10 should go in a hat for a draw for the Europe places next year. Except Totts because Mourinho is an idiot nor United because Ole can speak English too good and United are horrible.

goonerred 11 March, 2020 16:22
Oh and CIty can't go in the hat because they're banned anyway.

Boston Gooner 11 March, 2020 16:54
Really don't want Liverpool winning the league.

Merlion96 11 March, 2020 21:06
Liverpool just need to win 2 more games to seal the title.

But WHO had declared a coronavirus pandemic and as yet, UK Gov't has not taken any action to ban large gathering.
Most likely the league will play out behind closed down as they couldn't afford to return those billions of GBP back to TV broadcasters. Any cancellation of the league games may result in nasty litigation with one side declaring force majeure and the other side breach of contract.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Boston Gooner 11 March, 2020 21:11
Ridiculous playing behind closed doors.

weedz 11 March, 2020 22:34
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Ridiculous playing behind closed doors.

Not really. Just different.
This seems to me to be the best option.
Apart from game-day revenue, everything that we had until now would remain the same.
If I was a season ticket holder, I would expect to be reimbursed.
IMO playing behind closed doors would be best we could hope for in the face of postponing the season.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Padre Pio 11 March, 2020 22:50
Yes behind closed door would be best option, and put matches on line for all registered Fans of a club.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner 11 March, 2020 23:17
How could smaller clubs survive playing behind closed doors ?
Big clubs could get away with it because of tv money etc.

Boston Gooner 11 March, 2020 23:21
I kept switching to PSG v Borussia Dortmund tonight and it was terrible to watch without the crowd and atmosphere.
I'm sure that the players don't like it either.

Padre Pio 11 March, 2020 23:57
Must be like watching the Italian League

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 12 March, 2020 06:44
They may eventually suspend the league, once liverpool have won it.

goonerred 12 March, 2020 13:32
Quote:
Boston Gooner
I kept switching to PSG v Borussia Dortmund tonight and it was terrible to watch without the crowd and atmosphere.
I'm sure that the players don't like it either.
Thousands of PSG fans turned up outside the stadium so that went well!

Boston Gooner 12 March, 2020 14:18
Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed "a few players" are being kept away from the squad after displaying coronavirus symptoms.

Rodgers said: "We've had a few players that have shown symptoms and signs (of coronavirus). We've followed procedures and (as a precaution) they have been kept away from the squad."

Boston Gooner 12 March, 2020 14:19
We are going to shut down very soon methinks.

goonerred 12 March, 2020 14:29
I don't see how they can justify carrying on. There is a cobra meeting this afternoon, they will move us to the next level, whatever that is. Not exactly stockpiling but I have enough provisions of everything I need to last for a couple of weeks or more. My husband works in a University,they will close first. I've avoided the rush. No I haven't been carting off hundreds of toilet rolls and hand sanitizer.

goonerred 12 March, 2020 14:31
It's all a bit surreal really. The wind has been howling a gale for weeks, severe flooding up the road. Is it Armageddon?

djarse 12 March, 2020 14:35
Poor Liverpool - just imagine if they declare the whole season null and void after their amazing performance in the League and the first tile for 30+ years within their grasp....

goonerred 12 March, 2020 14:40
Quote:
djarse
Poor Liverpool - just imagine if they declare the whole season null and void after their amazing performance in the League and the first tile for 30+ years within their grasp....
I think it would be a shame and they wil have morally won it. If only they hadn't lost that match and cityh had lose one more, it would be over now.

Boston Gooner 12 March, 2020 15:04
Quote:
djarse

I would love it. 不不不

goonerred 12 March, 2020 15:12
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
djarse

I would love it. 不不不
Given that we could never have won it, who would you like to win it?

Boston Gooner 12 March, 2020 15:52
Man City.

Padre Pio 12 March, 2020 16:03
Quote:
goonerred
It's all a bit surreal really. The wind has been howling a gale for weeks, severe flooding up the road. Is it Armageddon?

Does feel a bit like the end of days

goonerred 12 March, 2020 16:15
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Man City.
Their the last club I would want to win. Wel, it's a toss up between them, United and Totts. No Totts first then the other two.

goonerred 12 March, 2020 16:16
Australian GP called off. Euros in doubt, Olympics in doubt. As a sports junkie this is one of the best years for sport.

Boston Gooner 12 March, 2020 16:59
Quote:
goonerred
Australian GP called off. Euros in doubt, Olympics in doubt. As a sports junkie this is one of the best years for sport.

Yes it's terrible news for us who love watching sport.
But it has to be done. 之之

Actually can't believe UEFA aren't meeting until Tuesday.
Typical bloody UEFA.

goonerred 12 March, 2020 17:02
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.
People's safety is of paramount importance.

MickTheMan 12 March, 2020 17:38
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

I can't find any confirmation about Australia GP being called off. Where did you get that from?

goonerred 12 March, 2020 17:45
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

I can't find any confirmation about Australia GP being called off. Where did you get that from?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Padre Pio 12 March, 2020 22:50
Looks increasingly likely after Arteta goes down with it

MickTheMan 12 March, 2020 23:03
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Still nothing official. Damon Hill said on twitter that it will go on but without spectators.

MickTheMan 12 March, 2020 23:22
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Still nothing official. Damon Hill said on twitter that it will go on but without spectators.

Officially cancelled. (Sm10)

Boston Gooner 12 March, 2020 23:31
Soon be time to cancel my sky and bt sports.

goonerred 13 March, 2020 07:48
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The irony, they cancelled the race in order to prevent large crowds gathering, then the fans congregated outside to protest about it being cancelled. The same with PSG fans the other night, they all congregated outside singing and cheering hoping to spur the team on.

AJ The Gunner 13 March, 2020 07:55
It's no more a matter of if but when all this will be over.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

goonerred 13 March, 2020 08:10
moved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 09:18 by goonerred.

Boston Gooner 13 March, 2020 08:40
Chelsea's full squad have gone into self-isolation after winger Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive for coronavirus, the club said in a statement in the early hours of Friday morning.

Hudson-Odoi displayed cold symptoms on Monday morning and has stayed away from the club since then. His test result was returned on Thursday night making him the first Premier League player known to have contracted the virus.

goonerred 13 March, 2020 09:32
Everton on lock- down after one of the players reported symptoms akin to conronavirus.

Padre Pio 13 March, 2020 09:38
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The irony, they cancelled the race in order to prevent large crowds gathering, then the fans congregated outside to protest about it being cancelled. The same with PSG fans the other night, they all congregated outside singing and cheering hoping to spur the team on.

This is all because they are worried about sponsors money than the crowd. They need to take firm action now.

goonerred 13 March, 2020 09:41
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

This is all because they are worried about sponsors money than the crowd. They need to take firm action now.
They canceled to protect the drivers and staff - and the crowd. THe people chose to go there and protest. how is that protecting the sponsors?

Padre Pio 13 March, 2020 10:00
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

They canceled to protect the drivers and staff - and the crowd. THe people chose to go there and protest. how is that protecting the sponsors?

If they had taken clear decision to cancel a week ago, and the teams wernt in situ then there would have been no point in crowd turning up. Lack of clear leadership as they are desperate to hang onto money. Hamilton was calling for it to be cancelled (not sponsored) several days ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 13:23 by Padre Pio.

CazOnARola 13 March, 2020 10:02
"The announcement came just minutes before the Department of Health said the total number of cases of the disease since January 31 had risen by 134 to 590 the highest rise in a single day"

www.standard.co.uk/news/health/new-uk-coronavirus-cases-announced-latest-figures-a4385641.html%3famp

Im not sure how many of you work with exponential mathematics, but the situation in UK isnt good.

Wuhan waited for 400 cases to be reported in a single day before they forced lockdown of the Hubei province, which is larger than Italy btw.

But China acted faster in locking down the other provinces, so they did not have exponential rides like Wuhan.

If there have been 154 more cases in a day, i have no idea what authorities are waiting for.

I mean Hudson odoi has tested positive as well, not just Arteta.

Until you have negative test results for the all the people that had possible contact with Arteta and Hudson odoi, how can the FA even talk about having matches?

Any of the Chelsea players could have contacted it and pass it to others.. There is no confirmation that it doesn't spread until you are symptomatic.

AJ The Gunner 13 March, 2020 10:07
Is not a matter of if but how long it will be shut down

goonerred 13 March, 2020 10:12
Five clubs have players in lock-down, it's impossible to carry on and it's not right to.

djarse 13 March, 2020 10:18
Seems like the new strategy is to cancel games for a few weeks across Europe, cancel Euro 2020 and let the leagues over-run into the time allocated for that.

But I reckon that the most likely scenario is abandonment of the season in most countries - then the thorny issue I raised at the start of this thread comes into play. Do you allocate winners of the league, relegated teams, Champions league and Europa league places ? And if so, how ? Every scenario and option seems to guarantee legal challenges from someone.

goonerred 13 March, 2020 10:46
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
MickTheMan
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Typical bloody UEFA.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

If they had taken clear decision to cancel a week ago, and the teams wernt in situ then there would have been no point in crowd turning up. Lack of clear leadership as they are desperate to hang onto money. Hamilton was calling for it to be sponsored several days ago.

Fair point, they waited too late when many fans could also have been travelling to Australia just to watch it.

Padre Pio 13 March, 2020 13:21
Opps Hamilton was calling for it to be cancelled

Boston Gooner 13 March, 2020 14:18
They aren't going to be up and running April 3rd

Personally think the season will be written off

goonerred 13 March, 2020 14:26
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is that wishful thinking on your part so that Liverpool don't win?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 14:27 by goonerred.

Boston Gooner 13 March, 2020 22:32
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner

(Sm151)
Ha Ha,

This isn't suddenly going away and everything is going to be ok for April 3rd.
This evil thing hasn't even hit us properly yet.
We are talking months not a few weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 23:53 by Boston Gooner.

goonerred 13 March, 2020 22:54
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner

(Sm151)
Ha Ha,

This isn't suddenly go away and everything is going to be ok for April 3rd.
This evil thing hasn't even hit us properly yet.
We are talking months not a few weeks.
I agree, it won't be back by the 3rd.

Merlion96 13 March, 2020 23:28
Commercial reason will prevent 2019/20 from declaring it null and void.

As of now, some report said that EPL is losing an estimate of 瞿750 million from current suspension.

But this situation can be salvage with good marketing and a thrilling end to the season with fighting for an European spot and fight against relegation which will drive up audience numbers and sponsorships:

E.g. look at it this way:

#1 - Extending the season playing games every 3/4 days with midweek games.
After all, it is only 9/10 more games to go:
You can finish off the entire season by 31 May!

#2 - FA Cup? Just hold a week long tournament in June playing qtr-final and semi-final in one week and final before 15 June.

#3 - For public health safety, all games should play behind closed door.

#4 - And players will get a shorten summer break but can be compensated with a longer winter break.

#5 - Euro2020 - c'mon, it is a no-brainer it will be cancelled due to travel restrictions and think fans will be daft enough to put their lives at risk by travelling to known infected zones?

During a pandemic, watching a football game on TV is a good morale boost if you are on home quarantine and also send a message to the people to try to live their life normally, albeit, as a clich矇, we call it a "new normal" to adjust our lifestyle due to those coronavirus pandemic.

Do you know that winter flu infected millions and killed hundreds of thousands worldwide every year? How do you protect against winter flu and yet live a normal life?

Same as this coronavirus pandemic, humankind will just adjust and live in a new normal.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Boston Gooner 13 March, 2020 23:58
Merl you won't be finishing off the season by 31 May.

And if and it is a big if any games that happen to take place will be behind closed doors.

I fear fans going to matches this season is over.

plonky 14 March, 2020 01:42
Quote:
Boston Gooner
And if and it is a big if any games that happen to take place will be behind closed doors.

Boston Gooner 14 March, 2020 09:47
The Premier League will hold an emergency meeting on Thursday to establish plans for the remainder of the season.

It is believed clubs will have more information by then after a UEFA European football stakeholders meeting on Tuesday.

As it stands, no Premier League fixtures will take place until April 4 at the earliest, with the Football League also suspending all games until April 3.

The measure to postpone Premier League football was agreed at an "emergency club meeting" on Friday and in light of Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta and Chelsea midfielder Callum Hodson-Odoi confirming they had tested positive for the virus.

Some clubs believe the season can still be completed if games start again on April 4 but others think it is more realistic to start preparing for the possibility of there being no top-flight football until the start of next season in August.

goonerred 14 March, 2020 10:34
I think they are talking about 2 to 3 months before the virus hits its peak, so it will be at least 3 months before any matches can be played again, at least I would think.

Boston Gooner 14 March, 2020 11:45
Quote:
goonerred
I think they are talking about 2 to 3 months before the virus hits its peak, so it will be at least 3 months before any matches can be played again, at least I would think.

And another thing is end of June players out of contract kicks in.

AJ The Gunner 14 March, 2020 20:10
i feel the April 4th resumption is not feasible at all as the sick will recovering and those fit were in isolation for precautionary measures so their fitness will be in doubt.

Won't be fair to allow such teams like us, Chelsea, Everton & Leicester to start playing.

Merlion96 14 March, 2020 22:40
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Sadly yes.
A few months back, the optimistic forecast was that like H1N1 Swine Flu, it quickly died off during the hot summer, sometimes in June.

Now, if all clubs imposed draconian measures with lockdown and stay-home-notice for 14 days to track down 99% of the infected (some rare cases rook 28 days for symptoms to appear), you will have all players and coaching staff start training 25/26 March.

If only 1 or 2 players that are infected and recovered by end-March, like flu (if his lungs are not damaged with fibrosis), he will regain fitness in a month. But realistically, it may take about a month to recover from OCVID-19.

As yet, only Odoi is infected and if no more players are infected by end-March, then Premier League can restart on1 May as financial losses will be in billions if there is one more month of delay.

It would be more realistic to finish by say mid-June, give players 3 week off (but if there is a global pandemic, where can they go for their summer holidays?) return for pre-season in July, and starts 2000/21 season in mid-August.

One joker in the pack.
That stupid Qatar WC2022 plays in December 2022.
2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons have to re-schedule to allow for a longer winter break to accommodate WC2022 with a 1.5-month-long for tournament and 3-week off form those players taking part.

Merlion96 14 March, 2020 22:45
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

And another thing is end of June players out of contract kicks in.

Then, it is imperatively to finish the league by 30 June.

Perhaps if all the UK and European clubs can come together and declared force majeure to extend their contract by 2 months to August 2020 to give clubs more time to sort out their playing time for this season.

The only scenario is that since all the football leagues are suspended, why not open the transfer window on 1 April 2020 to sort out all these contractual situations?

Merlion96 14 March, 2020 23:25
English football set for mega 瞿10bn loss if season is over thanks to coronavirus epidemic
[www.express.co.uk]

It will mean any chance of the current Premier League and EFL seasons being finished extremely slim and it could mean a monumental bill.
The Daily Star say the loss of TV rights money, matchday revenue, European and domestic cup cash prize money could top the 瞿1bn mark.

However, on top of that, club values have plummeted in the wake of the coronavirus crisis.
Manchester United have had 瞿613m wiped off their share price in the last three weeks with the volatility of the stock markets.
That is an unprecedented 25 per cent crash and if you factor in the similar issues with all other clubs in the Premier League that loss soars to 瞿9bn.
Each and every day the crisis goes on will hurt English football with no end in sight.

Matchday Revenue
Premier League: 瞿100m
EFL Championship: 瞿36m
League One: 瞿6.9m
League Two: 瞿3.6m
Matchday Revenue total loss: 瞿146.5m
Prize Money
FA Cup: 瞿15m
Champions League: 瞿64m
Europa League: 瞿26m
Prize money total loss: 瞿105m
...色...........................色..................色........

Meaning, cancellation of the season is a no-no as EPL will need to salvage the situation by finishing the season.
Imagine, how many EPL clubs will be in administration if each of them loses 瞿100-million in revenues for 2019/20 season?

Usmanov got lucky and managed to sell all his over-priced shares to a daft Silent Stan who thought that getting a 100% control is a path to drain Arsenal FC assets to pay for his over-priced Inglewood Project.

Think again. Arsenal FC 瞿200-million cash reserves will be wiped within 2 seasons if current coronavirus pandemic continues into 2021 with losses of TV rights money, matchday revenue, commercial revenues plummeting to the level of 1990s Highbury revenues'.

CazOnARola 15 March, 2020 05:02
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Sadly yes.
A few months back, the optimistic forecast was that like H1N1 Swine Flu, it quickly died off during the hot summer, sometimes in June.

Now, if all clubs imposed draconian measures with lockdown and stay-home-notice for 14 days to track down 99% of the infected (some rare cases rook 28 days for symptoms to appear), you will have all players and coaching staff start training 25/26 March.

If only 1 or 2 players that are infected and recovered by end-March, like flu (if his lungs are not damaged with fibrosis), he will regain fitness in a month. But realistically, it may take about a month to recover from OCVID-19.

As yet, only Odoi is infected and if no more players are infected by end-March, then Premier League can restart on1 May as financial losses will be in billions if there is one more month of delay.

It would be more realistic to finish by say mid-June, give players 3 week off (but if there is a global pandemic, where can they go for their summer holidays?) return for pre-season in July, and starts 2000/21 season in mid-August.

One joker in the pack.
That stupid Qatar WC2022 plays in December 2022.
2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons have to re-schedule to allow for a longer winter break to accommodate WC2022 with a 1.5-month-long for tournament and 3-week off form those players taking part.

In 3 weeks time this post may sound ridiculous.
Football will nowhere near the topic of discussion, it would just be about how do we save lives, especially of our elderly.

The mortality is 20% for elderly. The herd immunity plans will make sure that not a single ball will kicked for the next 4 months at least.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net