Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Arteta has detailed his training plan to improve Nicolas Pepe.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 10 March, 2020 09:47
Arteta has detailed his training plan to improve Nicolas Pepe.
Boston Gooner 10 March, 2020 09:47
Mikel Arteta has detailed his training plan to improve Nicolas Pepe’s form at Arsenal, which appears to include some absolute basics of being a winger. The Frenchman arrived from Lille for £72m last summer but has largely failed to live up to the price tag, with inconsistent performances meaning he has started just 17 Premier League games. The 24-year-old has scored six goals in all competitions and leads the club’s assist numbers in the Premier League with six, but Arteta is clearly not happy with some aspects of his game. Considering he is the club’s record signing, it may be slightly concerning that the manager feels he needs to teach the winger about when and where to cross the ball for strikers. ‘I’ll show him footage of what we want and on the training ground I will make him defend in situations where he is full-back and I am the winger,’ said the Arsenal boss. ‘You have to feel the moment when the ball is here where you are weak and depending on the step that you take, how that effects the opponent every time, where the spaces are for the strikers, where the strikers want the ball in certain areas, it’s a process. ‘It’s part of his development. He needs to open more doors to be more unpredictable for the opponent and give more options as well offensively to us.

He’s working on it, he will improve, he will get better. He’s got the talent, an immense quality and he’s willing to do it.’ Gunners striker Alexandre Lacazette says Pepe just needs time to adapt to the Premier League and build his confidence before we see his best work. ‘I used to say we need to be patient with him. He is still young, he came from another league and it is always different,’ said the French striker last month. ‘The Premier League is the hardest league in the world I think, so you have to be nice with new players like him. ‘He is someone who needs confidence and when you give him confidence he is better. He just needs time to understand how the league is and now we can see a really good Nicolas Pepe.’

(Sm22)(Sm22)

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Arteta has detailed his training plan to improve Nicolas Pepe.
goonerred 10 March, 2020 09:52
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Mikel Arteta has detailed his training plan to improve Nicolas Pepe’s form at Arsenal, which appears to include some absolute basics of being a winger. The Frenchman arrived from Lille for £72m last summer but has largely failed to live up to the price tag, with inconsistent performances meaning he has started just 17 Premier League games. The 24-year-old has scored six goals in all competitions and leads the club’s assist numbers in the Premier League with six, but Arteta is clearly not happy with some aspects of his game. Considering he is the club’s record signing, it may be slightly concerning that the manager feels he needs to teach the winger about when and where to cross the ball for strikers. ‘I’ll show him footage of what we want and on the training ground I will make him defend in situations where he is full-back and I am the winger,’ said the Arsenal boss. ‘You have to feel the moment when the ball is here where you are weak and depending on the step that you take, how that effects the opponent every time, where the spaces are for the strikers, where the strikers want the ball in certain areas, it’s a process. ‘It’s part of his development. He needs to open more doors to be more unpredictable for the opponent and give more options as well offensively to us.
He’s working on it, he will improve, he will get better. He’s got the talent, an immense quality and he’s willing to do it.’ Gunners striker Alexandre Lacazette says Pepe just needs time to adapt to the Premier League and build his confidence before we see his best work. ‘I used to say we need to be patient with him. He is still young, he came from another league and it is always different,’ said the French striker last month. ‘The Premier League is the hardest league in the world I think, so you have to be nice with new players like him. ‘He is someone who needs confidence and when you give him confidence he is better. He just needs time to understand how the league is and now we can see a really good Nicolas Pepe.’

(Sm22)(Sm22)
I hold my breath and live in hope.

Gunnersingh1 10 March, 2020 10:16
You have to laugh at Arsenal fans you really do.

Despite Pepe not always having the final end product, he's the only pllayer who gives me hope when he's got the ball.

Instead of embracing him and giving him the time he needs, we laugh at him, makes sense to me....

Gooner Sod 10 March, 2020 11:08
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
You have to laugh at Arsenal fans you really do.
Despite Pepe not always having the final end product, he's the only pllayer who gives me hope when he's got the ball.

Instead of embracing him and giving him the time he needs, we laugh at him, makes sense to me....

Agreed, our fanbase is toxic. Although you can't talk much with how you criticise certain players you don't like.

Pepe hasn't had a great season and clearly the prize tag was too much as of now. But 6 goals & 6 assists ain't the worst record. It's actually better than a significant amount of wingers & no 10's in the league at present time. Most players with his talent usually kick on in the second season.

But i hear some fans wanting to swap him for a 31 year old Willian (7goals & 6assists), who hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season either. Its madness but that's football fans for you..

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

goonerred 10 March, 2020 11:19
I wouldn't swap him for Willian. I still believe there is a good player inside Pepe. I'm willing to wait a bit longer.

CazOnARola 10 March, 2020 11:22
That's nothing to laugh at. There are at max 1/2 players per team that actually makes the right decisions in terms of when to pass, where to pass, when to take risks, when to play safe, etc. These are footballers with very high IQ.. Arteta was one of them, though he wasn't physically and technically gifted enough to make the difference.

Theo walcott had the same pbm, sterling to an extent and most footballers around the world have this pbm barring your iniest s, Messi s, Xavi, etc.

Most wingers work on a percentage ball expecting team mates to run into a particular area rather than base their decisions on things like "will be reach the ball if i put in the area, is he too far out, maybe I should play it to the near post, etc"

This is normal. What he just has to do is release the ball quicker in general, but as we have seen, many times when he takes that extra touch when none of us are expecting it, he actually ends up putting the defenders on the floor cause it takes everyone, including ppl on television and his team mates by surprise. He just hasn't made most of it after putting the defenders on the floor.

He could have easily had 3/4 more goals if Lacazette /Aubameyang elected to pass to him instead of shooting themselves from impossible angles or just passing to each other.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 19:22 by CazOnARola.

CazOnARola 10 March, 2020 11:25
Btw we point have one player in the 25 man squad that actually makes good decisions 80-90% of the time and that's ozil, the man we all want out because of other limitations.

Pepe is the least of our pbms.

Flava 10 March, 2020 19:13
I like Pepe. He’ll be better when the attack is more balanced with an overlapping fullback so he can play narrowe. He’ll be better with Özil in the team as well.

Padre Pio 10 March, 2020 19:26
He has some amazing skills, needs to be given more of free kicks and corners, not always his fault strikers arent in box when he is ahead of them. However he clearly needs match fitness and integration into the team

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

younghansolo 10 March, 2020 22:06
He doesn't seem to be on the same wave length or even spectrum as his team mates. I don't think his language skills are great either.

He's clearly talented and when he settles he will be fine but if he doesn't settle (and many haven't) he will be another gervinho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net