Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Bukayo Saka or Keiran Tierney - which one to keep?
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 16 February, 2020 00:37
Bukayo Saka or Keiran Tierney - which one to keep?
Merlion96 16 February, 2020 00:37
There is still no break-through in contract talks with the agent of Bukayo Saka.
Guess he is looking at a about £40,000 to 60,000 pw on par with Guendouzi.

Brendan Rodgers is preparing a £25m bid for Tierney to replace Chilwell.

Next season, one of them is going to be unhappy with less playing time and none of them is going to play 2nd fiddle without regular league football.

Not forgetting that Kolasinac is hitting form under Arteta like a battling ram bulldozing through defence during counter-attacks - which neither Saka nor Tierney has that physique to do it.
Kolasinac will refuse to leave as nobody can match his lucrative contract with Arsenal when we signed him on a Bosman.

- Kolasinac
- Tierney
- Saka

3 into 2 will not do.

Sell or keep Saka?

If someone is daft enough to offer £40m for Saka, I am pretty sure Josh will instruct Sanllehi to grab the cash and run.

If Rodgers is willing to up his offer to £40m for Tierney, certainly, Sanllehi will grab the money to fund a new contract for Saka.

Th key issue is who to keep - Saka or Tierney?

Remember, left forward is occupied by Martinelli or Ozil now.
And if Arteta is to buy a left-footed creative playmaker in the summer …
Saka will fall further in the pecking order.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Re: Bukayo Saka or Keiran Tierney - which one to keep?
weedz 16 February, 2020 01:30
Too hard to judge for me.
We haven't seen near enough of Teirney in red n white to make a call as to how great he could be for us. Not a good start with his groin/hernia injury and now a dislocated shoulder. They are bad injuries that can take a lot of time to recover from and can effect a career.
As you point out, Merl, Saka is becoming a utility option, behind his senior squad mates, which while being alright, isn't ideal for a young up and coming prospect. Better Ateta works him as either a defender or a wide forward.
Common sense tells me Saka should be the one to keep because of his potential, age and utility value. Many on the net predict him becoming another Cashley Cole, in a nice way. And I don't think at a EPL level, Teirneys crossing is that much better than Sakas. Teirney is the better defender, no doubt, but Saka, for the amount of time he's spent as a defender shows great potential. So it's a real tough call, IMO.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

CazOnARola 16 February, 2020 01:52
Saka does not want to play left back. He was s left back as a kid and became a forward because of his abilities. It s like asking ramsey to play DM.
He will never agree to it long term as he doesn't want to play that position.

Boston Gooner 16 February, 2020 09:10
Keep them both.
In truth we have no idea what Tierney will be like.
The guy hasn't really been fit since he came here.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

goonerred 16 February, 2020 10:55
Have we bought another sicknote in Tierney though? He came with one injury and I'm sure it's different injuries keeping out every time.

Gunnersingh1 16 February, 2020 11:52
Sell Kolasinic he's a poor! Saka will get enough games be it at full back or the wing to keep him happy.

I still believe in Tierney and think he can match Andy Robinson.

It's at RB we've got bigger issues. We should go for Max Arrons. He could develop into a top footballer.

CazOnARola 16 February, 2020 11:52
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Sell Kolasinic he's a poor! Saka will get enough games be it at full back or the wing to keep him happy.
I still believe in Tierney and think he can match Andy Robinson.

It's at RB we've got bigger issues. We should go for Max Arrons. He could develop into a top footballer.

mapleleafgooner 16 February, 2020 13:01
Keep both. No reason to sell our young players who have a lot of upside. Just tell Leicester we are not selling Tierney the same way they told us we cant have Chillwell.

Flava 16 February, 2020 19:29
Keep em all, Saka is a star

CazOnARola 16 February, 2020 20:03
Quote:
Flava
Keep em all, Saka is a star
yep we need to get that contract sorted fast.
Auba em most likely leave. Saka should be given the left wing.

Let him stretch play next season, let pepe cut inside. Get a pacy RB and play Martinelli /new striker/Lacazette if he is still here through the middle.

Flava 16 February, 2020 21:00
Aubameyang has to be sold. One year left and we can’t offer him a £350k 3 year contract, we just can’t. It’s a shame but there it is.

Do you see Martinelli as a striker and Saka as a LW? I do

CazOnARola 16 February, 2020 21:17
Quote:
Flava
Aubameyang has to be sold. One year left and we can’t offer him a £350k 3 year contract, we just can’t. It’s a shame but there it is.
Do you see Martinelli as a striker and Saka as a LW? I do
Yep front 3 of Saka, Martinelli and Pepe for the long term.
A Cavani type signing would be ideal to cover for Auba's loss, although that might cost us.

I think Nketiah can do what Lacazette does for us. The lad just looked very nervous. I think he can be a good back up in which case we could sell laca as well.

But again, u cannot make too many changes without it affecting what little chemistry they will build this season.

I get the feeling only ozil, auba, mustafi, Sokratis and Kolasinac will leave in the summer. I'm not counting players on loan like mkhi who should definitely leave.

Shane 16 February, 2020 21:51
I think it's too early to count on either Saka or Martinelli for the long term. They're both brilliant for their age - especially Martinelli obviously - but that's just it, brilliant for their their age.

If they were 25 and 26 and playing like this it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Huge potential with both obviously, but let's wait to see if it goes anywhere.

I don't think Saka is anywhere near as promising as Oxlade-Chamberlain was at the same age.

Flava 16 February, 2020 22:32
Quote:
Shane
I think it's too early to count on either Saka or Martinelli for the long term. They're both brilliant for their age - especially Martinelli obviously - but that's just it, brilliant for their their age.
If they were 25 and 26 and playing like this it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Huge potential with both obviously, but let's wait to see if it goes anywhere.

I don't think Saka is anywhere near as promising as Oxlade-Chamberlain was at the same age.

Really? I think he’s better than the Ox. He’s not as careless in possession. His decision making is better and his head doesn’t drop. Ox would beat himself up if he made a mistake. Ox never realised his potential for us.

Shane 16 February, 2020 23:25
You're right Saka is more robust upstairs I think, which makes me optimistic because that's what held Oxlade-Chamberlain back. The talent was there in abundance. I'd agree with decision making too, the presence of mind under pressure, but overall I do think Oxlade-Chamberlain had more of an X-Factor at the same age.

Either way, it does go to show that form during a player's teenage years aren't always the best indicator of how good they'll be in their mid-20s. Injury or not I genuinely don't think Oxlade-Chamberlain is much better than he was back then.

Boston Gooner 16 February, 2020 23:43
Bukayo Saka has assisted eight goals in all competitions this season, two more than any teammate; he also has the most assists of any Premier League teenager this season.

We have to get his contract sorted.

Merlion96 17 February, 2020 01:44
A bit of an issue if he is looking at about £40,000 to 60,000 pw on par with Guendouzi … and perhaps Martinelli new contract as well.

And if we signs Ceballos, he is also looking at about £40,000 to 60,000 pw on par with Guendouzi.

If we are looking at salary bill at 60% of expected £350-mil revenues of the next 3 seasons - due to falling matchday, commercial and broadcasting revenues from missing CL Cup - the overall total salary bill available is £210-mil per annum for the next 3 seasons.

Not forgetting the global economy is heading towards a recession due to Brexit, US-China trade wars and expanding coronavirus crisis spreading globally. Meaning, less advertisement, sponsorship and merchandise revenues from growing market in China, South Korea and Japan.

It means we got to get rid of some of our high earners to pay decent £40,000 to 60,000 pw to keep our talented youngsters; and to free up salary bills to pay new players or those we wanted to keep and to re-negotiate their contracts.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

CazOnARola 17 February, 2020 03:14
Saka is the only replacement for ozil in terms of the "brains" in this team. His footballing intelligence is comparable but still not on par with monreal, ozil, cazorla, arteta who imho are the most intelligent players football brain wise to play for us in recent history.

I felt the same way about gnabry, but i feel better about saka at this age then i felt about gnabry when he first broke through.

Saka is the future, a straight A's student. Hopefully he doesn't go partying like iwobi and go down the drain like some of our other youngsters since fabregas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2020 03:45 by CazOnARola.

mapleleafgooner 17 February, 2020 03:21
Quote:
Merlion96
It means we got to get rid of some of our high earners to pay decent £40,000 to 60,000 pw to keep our talented youngsters; and to free up salary bills to pay new players or those we wanted to keep and to re-negotiate their contracts.

If we sell Ozil, Xhaka, Luiz and Aubameyang in the summer, that will free up a big chunk of the salary bill to pay for the up and coming youngsters. Guendouzi was brought in by Emery and favoured by him. So Guendouzi is likely overpaid for the amount of contribution he made to the team.

CazOnARola 17 February, 2020 09:44
Ornstein: Arsenal are pushing hard to tie Bukayo Saka down to a 5-year contract
32 minutes ago , Alexey Baguzin
Bukayo Saka has impressed again, this time vs Newcastle.
The winger is currently on a £3k-per-week deal which runs out next summer.
David Ornstein from The Atheltic reports that Arsenal have stepped up their efforts to extend Saka's current deal by five more seasons.

CazOnARola 17 February, 2020 09:46
5 year deal.. From 3k they would probably push it to 40-50k per week. The important thing is the regular clause.
We need to make sure the release clause is above 75mn even if it sounds absurd at this stage of development.

Boston Gooner 17 February, 2020 09:48
Quote:
CazOnARola
5 year deal.. From 3k they would probably push it to 40-50k per week. The important thing is the regular clause.
We need to make sure the release clause is above 75mn even if it sounds absurd at this stage of development.

At least.

Boston Gooner 17 February, 2020 10:18

Gunnersingh1 17 February, 2020 12:49
Saka had a very good 2nd half but he still needs to improve his defending. 1st half he was getting skinned.

Ashley Cole was much better defensively at the same age.

Boston Gooner 17 February, 2020 12:56
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Saka had a very good 2nd half but he still needs to improve his defending. 1st half he was getting skinned.
Ashley Cole was much better defensively at the same age.

Do you think he will end up L/Back ?
Not sure he really wants that position.

Merlion96 17 February, 2020 14:07
The problem with Saka is that as a winger, his crossing ability must improved and be as accurate as Pepe on the other wing.
After this season, all EPL managers and defenders will wise up to his antics and preference and he will find the 2nd season harder. If he can overcome the 2nd season syndrome, we will have a star player on our hands.

Many talented youngsters and overseas players had a scintillating debut season and thereafter struggled in the 2nd season and eventually sold.

It is over to Saka to decide whether to continue his development with Arsenal FC or like a young Anelka, ill-advised by his brother of an agent, seduced by richness elsewhere and eager to get rich quickly elsewhere.

CazOnARola 17 February, 2020 14:29
Saka had enough intelligence to play across the park.

Defensively is a different matter, even though he was a left back in his youth, who really wants to do that permanently if he has a future forward.

I suspect he would want guarantees that he will be allowed to play further forward before he signs that contract.

When is a left back paid 400k/w like ramsey is currently?

Nobody wants to give up a career playing further ahead on the field unless they realize they aren't good enough.

Saka's crossing isn't the best, but it's better than any fullback/winger we have had since henry left.

Rosicky/Hleb/RVP/Gervinho/Theo/Arshavin/Nasri/Sanchez/etc hardly made world beating contributions with their aerial crosses.

Saka' s two balls in the first half where we bent it in behind the two defenders without beating his man Beckham style was enough to convince me that if he starts being played on the wings regularly he can be better than anyone we have had.

But incidentally i rate Tierney s crossing even better than saka already. Tierney has almost pinpoint accuracy, better than anything I've seen in the last 15 years at arsenal, so we could have the left wing settled for a long time.

Saka Martinelli Pepe have to be the future front three.

We need a new CAM, two new CMs and one CB and RB to truly challenge for the league.

We can challenge for the top 4 next year even with ozil as the CAM provided we get the other positions sorted and Martinelli steps up next year and gets 15 goals along with Pepe who also needs to get 15-20.

We are losing auba next year, so if Martinelli doesn't show signs of scoring 10+ next season by the end of this season, we need an experienced striker to replace Auba next season.

Lacazette hasn't gotten more than 20 goals in all his time here per season, so don't expect him to step up even if he starts playing better.

We will need goals to be shared like when we replaced RVP 's goals with giroud, poldi and santi s goals.

Boston Gooner 18 February, 2020 12:19
Arsenal are working hard to tie the youngster down to a longer deal but Saka will not confirm that he even wants to extend his stay in north London. ‘I just leave all that stuff to my agent and my parents,’ Saka told the Athletic. ‘I just enjoy my football and play my football. ‘Do I want to stay? Like I said it’s for my agent. They’re sorting it out. ‘Of course I’m enjoying my football, enjoying playing under the new coach so we’ll see what happens.

CazOnARola 18 February, 2020 12:38
Negotiations tactics. If we offer more money than pool and united, he will sign. Problem is of course greasing the palms of the agents and the parents. They might want money for the sign on fees.
Same agent as jadon sancho.

Boston Gooner 18 February, 2020 13:07
I think another worry is the position he wants to play.
I don't think it's fullback.

plonky 18 February, 2020 13:20
Quote:
CazOnARola
Same agent as jadon sancho.

and Iwobi and Nelson and Nketiah.
Probably best to plan for life without Saka.

Boston Gooner 20 February, 2020 14:32
Arsenal believe they may have to qualify for a European competition to convince Bukayo Saka to sign an extension, according to reports.

With Summer signings he's not even guaranteed a starting place yet. lol

CazOnARola 20 February, 2020 14:36
He needs to be benched for a few games so that ppl forget about the couple of flashy performances.
Its amazing how footballers think its the clubs job to buy them trophies and the right to play in top competitions and the responsibility to produce those performances doesn't lie with them.

Merlion96 20 February, 2020 15:10
He hasn't got his head screwed right them.
Most interesting to see how Arteta is going to deal with this budding prima donna "demanding" European Football when he isn't established ahead of Martinelli on left flank.

Now, if Liverpool come sin with a 40-mil bid, let him go to enjoy life with OX at Anfield.

Boston Gooner 20 February, 2020 15:19
If that report is true the he will certainly drop in likeability ratings with fans.

tigerline 20 February, 2020 15:34
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Arsenal believe they may have to qualify for a European competition to convince Bukayo Saka to sign an extension, according to reports.

What is the source of this development?

Boston Gooner 20 February, 2020 16:08
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
Boston Gooner

What is the source of this development?

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

mapleleafgooner 20 February, 2020 16:28
Quote:
Boston Gooner

He is a rookie player so not sure why playing in Europe would be important at this juncture of his career. If anything else, he should be grateful to Arsenal for giving him game time. If he wants to play hard ball with the club, then I say sell him off to a non British club at a good price and let him handle the discomfort of being far away from home.

CazOnARola 20 February, 2020 16:45
The player has to agree to sign for the other club for it to work.

The only option in such cases is to just leave them out without game time if they threaten to leave on a bosman.

Then let's see how many clubs come in for him after having 1 year not playing any football at all. I'm sure we can afford to waste 3k/week.

djarse 20 February, 2020 17:04
There is no evidence provided for this - it seems like speculation just designed to get more readers

CazOnARola 20 February, 2020 17:28
There is never any evidence for these things. Many times these are owned by the agent etc to see if there are other offers or just negotiation tactics to get more money for their client. But saka was quoted as saying "do i want to stay? I'm leaving that to my parents and my agent. I love playing blah blah". Those were quotes attributed to him.
Negotiation tactics yes, but he isn't exactly mbappe is he?

Merlion96 20 February, 2020 20:59
Then, why is Saka so quiet and never proclaim that Arsenal is the club he loves?
Another mercenary of big head Charlie like David Bentley?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net