Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

MAN CITY BANNED FROM EUROPEAN CPMPETITIONS
Discussion started by plonky , 14 February, 2020 19:19
MAN CITY BANNED FROM EUROPEAN CPMPETITIONS
plonky 14 February, 2020 19:19
Uefa have announced that Premier League champions Manchester City have been banned from the Champions League for the next two seasons.

If Manchester City lose their appeal then the team which finished fifth in the Premier League might qualify for next season's Champions League.

Re: MAN CITY BANNED FROM EUROPEAN CPMPETITIONS
SuperRob 14 February, 2020 19:23
5th place trophy. Knowing our luck, we'll finish 5th then City will win their appeal

goonerred 14 February, 2020 19:58
Wow!!!!

Ares 14 February, 2020 22:05
Ha ha ha

lol

Boston Gooner 14 February, 2020 23:24
Sad thing is if they lose their appeal we won't even make top 5.

Could make Europa League qualification a better hope though.
If City win the Carabao Cup – they play Aston Villa in the final next month – and the FA Cup is won by a club which finishes in the top six, then as far as eighth spot in the Premier League will be enough to earn Europa League qualification.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2020 23:39 by Boston Gooner.

Merlion96 15 February, 2020 00:00
Just win the next 13 games … like 1997/98 season.
Arteta will be a legend then.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Padre Pio 15 February, 2020 00:23
Wait until Citeh take them to court, lets see if it sticks

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 15 February, 2020 03:50
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Sad thing is if they lose their appeal we won't even make top 5.
Could make Europa League qualification a better hope though.
If City win the Carabao Cup – they play Aston Villa in the final next month – and the FA Cup is won by a club which finishes in the top six, then as far as eighth spot in the Premier League will be enough to earn Europa League qualification.
This is the realistic possibility.

If the ban sticks, it will mostly mean United or Chelsea getting into UCL. Spurs will finish 4th.

City might just collapse and finish out of the top 4 as well.

Gooner Sod 15 February, 2020 10:54
My main take on this is if the bans sticks. Pep will be gone from City.

We can still realistically finish 5th, even 4th if just looking at the pts differences. But obviously the way we've been all season, our form is very unlikely to pick up that drastically for it to happen.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

goonerred 15 February, 2020 11:10
I don't care too much because it's city, but I think it's a bit draconian when you consider what other clubs have been up to and got away with it.

Bergmars 15 February, 2020 11:38
Mansour could bankrupt the authorities this will be interesting its rich when certain clubs have obviously been flouting the rules for years.

Under new managment

AJ The Gunner 15 February, 2020 12:46
Quote:
goonerred
I don't care too much because it's city, but I think it's a bit draconian when you consider what other clubs have been up to and got away with it.

Exactly my point too

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Re: MAN CITY BANNED FROM OPEAN CPMPETITIONS
CazOnARola 15 February, 2020 13:39
Their English titles should be stripped. This is not too different from match fixing. You are literally buying the league. Hope PSG gets a ban too. And madrid who is bank rolled by government. Fking cheats all of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2020 13:40 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio 15 February, 2020 13:39
I bet they will still be in next season's CL

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 15 February, 2020 13:41
Quote:
Padre Pio
I bet they will still be in next season's CL
Most likely. They have enough lawyers to drag this out.

goonerred 15 February, 2020 13:50
I was listening to the radio and someone said the ban stands until they win an appeal. I don't know when the appeal will happen. I tend to agree that they'll get away with it, the rich always do. Apparently, a lot of smaller clubs have incurred sanctions, but we don't hear about them.

weedz 16 February, 2020 01:38
The charge seems to be about MCitys inflated valuation of its profits and so, to its ability to spend.
One would think that the FA might be looking into this situation as well.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

mapleleafgooner 16 February, 2020 13:03
Definitely good for their lawyers.

Merlion96 16 February, 2020 13:59
Abu Dhabi just have to threaten to shift its banking to Luxembourg, to Frankfurt and warn France they are going to lose a hefty chunk of investment … and UAE will snub Airbus and buy Boeing ..

Think of the political pressure that UAE, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia can exert on EU and indirectly UEFA.

And also warn UEFA to take similar action against Qatar-owned PSG.

Final warning to UEFA - Emirates and Etihad will stop all advertisements and sponsorships with European clubs … and banned all lucrative European club friendlies in UAE.

Think UEFA will not bow to this kind of punitive financial and political pressures exerted by Abu Dhabi and rest of UAE?

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

plonky 16 February, 2020 14:25
Quote:
Merlion96
Final warning to UEFA - Emirates and Etihad will stop all advertisements and sponsorships with European clubs … and banned all lucrative European club friendlies in UAE.

That would be brilliant. We can get rid of the Emirates Stadium tag and name the ground after something to do with our club or the local area.

I'll start the ball rolling with The Arsene Wenger Colosseum.

Ares 16 February, 2020 14:49
Ha ha ha ha

Shane 16 February, 2020 14:57
Quote:
plonky
Quote:
Merlion96

That would be brilliant. We can get rid of the Emirates Stadium tag and name the ground after something to do with our club or the local area.

Kroenke Park.

Optimistic Gunner 16 February, 2020 18:52
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
plonky
Quote:
Merlion96

Ashburton Grove

Kroenke Park.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

weedz 17 February, 2020 22:43
Silent Sam Stadium. Lol

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net