Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Arteta does a Wenger.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 02 February, 2020 20:01
Arteta does a Wenger.
Boston Gooner 02 February, 2020 20:01
When asked why his side put in a “sloppy” display against the Clarets, Arteta said that he thought the playing turf should have had another cut before kick off.
The conditions were difficult the grass was 'this' long,” the Spaniard vented.

“They didn't put any water on it and that's not a very helpful thing to play football.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Arteta does a Wenger.
goonerred 02 February, 2020 20:17
That is so disappointing, he's only been manager two minutes and he's making excuses, he'll be saying they're tired next! Come on Mikel, just get the team playing for you.

MickTheMan 02 February, 2020 20:24
'Auba should have put us 2 up before HT with the chances he had.'

That would be very unlike Wenger to say. The funny thing is that both is true. Sometimes excuses are the only thing you can come up with...

mapleleafgooner 02 February, 2020 22:42
At least he didn't blame the proverbial "hand brake".

Kalela 02 February, 2020 23:52
Considering how the Arsenal players were falling all over the pitch on their own in this match I would not be surprised if what he said is true. He was probably upset at that but he should have just kept that to himself. Arteta needs to stop playing players who are out of form or not that good just because he appreciates their performances during training.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 01:52 by Kalela.

CazOnARola 03 February, 2020 00:51
I heard that the interview starts with him saying that because he was specifically asked about what did you think about the pitch to which his answer was that it is not conducive to play good football. But i could be wrong as i haven't checked the entire interview.. He did blame the players for not playing well as well although it doesn't really matter. This was the worst performance under arteta overall and it was also the first time that we saw the team going back to crab football for more than 70 min. Only being a threat for 20 min overall.

Boston Gooner 03 February, 2020 07:59
Hope this isn't turning into an Emery.

goonerred 03 February, 2020 08:29
Quote:
Boston Gooner
?

Boston Gooner 03 February, 2020 08:38
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
?

A few decent games then rubbish.

goonerred 03 February, 2020 08:40
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
?

A few decent games then rubbish.
Ah, It's depressing.(Sm77)

SuperRob 03 February, 2020 09:18
Orbinho
@Orbinho
·
15h
Arsenal in 2019-20

Shots per game
Emery 12.5
Ljungberg 10
Arteta 9.6

Shots allowed per game
Emery 16.8
Ljungberg 13.8
Arteta 12.4

AJ The Gunner 03 February, 2020 10:57
The results don't look good for him. Some players should be dropped yet he persists expecting results. I don't know how much longer it will take before the angry mob turns on him.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

goonerred 03 February, 2020 11:27
I thnk the stat proves that defensively we are a bit better. Maybe we have to start there first. Give him a bit longer.

CazOnARola 03 February, 2020 12:37
We have struggled with balance all throughout the last 6 years.

That's cause ww haven't got the players to affect both ends of the pitch in our midfield.

But for a team like this, it's better to build from the basics and be solid defensively and build from there.

There are two ways of course.. One could do what klopp did to with the score more and later get our own van dijk, but considering our transfer budget, being solid at the back and building from there is the way to go.

SuperRob 03 February, 2020 12:53
Quote:
goonerred
I thnk the stat proves that defensively we are a bit better. Maybe we have to start there first. Give him a bit longer.

Of course, I'd give him another 3 years. I would also have given Emery another 2 years and I wouldn't have minded if we had appointed Ljungberg full time for 2 years.

I said before Emery was sacked that the problem was the playing squad rather than the head coach. The consensus was that a new coach could have a transformative effect, but I don't think that has proved to be the case so far. The players are putting in more effort now, but it's a similar level of effort to the first half of Emery's first season. Let's hope it will last this time, and let's see what Arteta can do with the winter break.

This season:

Emery - 1.4 points per game (13 games)
Ljungberg - 1 point per game (5 games)
Arteta - 1.1 points per game (7 games)

Emery 1st 13 games last season - 2.1 points per game

Edu and Raul have the most important jobs in the club now. In hindsight, last summer window was a complete disaster, and that's Raul's fault entirely. But if they get it right at some point over the next 2 summer windows, then whoever happens to be the coach at that time will be hailed as the hero. If they don't, then we'll keep going through head coaches like Utd have been since Ferguson retired. Klopp is always the example used of a transformative coach, but frankly they were transformed more by the signings of Salah, Firmino and especially Van Dijk than they were by the arrival of Klopp. If Brendan Rogers were the manager when those signings were made, I'm confident they'd still be winning the league right now.

Our recruitment has been poor for the last 10 years. Wenger had to go for this reason. Edu has been in the job for only a few months so hopefully he can improve things. But it's key to realise that he and Raul are not unsackable. If the recruitment doesn't improve soon, they should be the ones who come under increasing pressure, not the head coach.

CazOnARola 03 February, 2020 13:18
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
goonerred

Of course, I'd give him another 3 years. I would also have given Emery another 2 years and I wouldn't have minded if we had appointed Ljungberg full time for 2 years.

I said before Emery was sacked that the problem was the playing squad rather than the head coach. The consensus was that a new coach could have a transformative effect, but I don't think that has proved to be the case so far. The players are putting in more effort now, but it's a similar level of effort to the first half of Emery's first season. Let's hope it will last this time, and let's see what Arteta can do with the winter break.

This season:

Emery - 1.4 points per game (13 games)
Ljungberg - 1 point per game (5 games)
Arteta - 1.1 points per game (7 games)

Emery 1st 13 games last season - 2.1 points per game

Edu and Raul have the most important jobs in the club now. In hindsight, last summer window was a complete disaster, and that's Raul's fault entirely. But if they get it right at some point over the next 2 summer windows, then whoever happens to be the coach at that time will be hailed as the hero. If they don't, then we'll keep going through head coaches like Utd have been since Ferguson retired. Klopp is always the example used of a transformative coach, but frankly they were transformed more by the signings of Salah, Firmino and especially Van Dijk than they were by the arrival of Klopp. If Brendan Rogers were the manager when those signings were made, I'm confident they'd still be winning the league right now.

Our recruitment has been poor for the last 10 years. Wenger had to go for this reason. Edu has been in the job for only a few months so hopefully he can improve things. But it's key to realise that he and Raul are not unsackable. If the recruitment doesn't improve soon, they should be the ones who come under increasing pressure, not the head coach.
Id just like to add that the only pbm with emery could have been his command over English and the lack of a first choice 11 even after 18 months in charge which meant players couldn't develop any chemistry.

Arteta seems a little less flexible about the basic formation. If like your say, edu and raul get it right and we sign s few more Martinelli s, then Arteta may be able to develop an identity with a more consist team and possibly a top 6 finish.

Merlion96 03 February, 2020 21:12
[dailycannon.com]

Good response.
Fans should read the entire speech to understand what Arteta was saying.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

SuperRob 03 February, 2020 21:52
The press conference is also on the Arsenal Youtube channel in full.

weedz 04 February, 2020 02:06
Just listened again on .com and he was definitely asked about the Turfmoore pitch, when he complained about the surface.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Boston Gooner 04 February, 2020 09:15
Quote:
weedz
Just listened again on .com and he was definitely asked about the Turfmoore pitch, when he complained about the surface.

mapleleafgooner 04 February, 2020 13:38
I believe Emery is a good coach. His problem is his communication skill especially in English. The bigger issue is he thinks he has no communication issues. That is on his bosses to remedy early in his tenure which they did not but choosing to fire him down the road. If u read his latest communication on the reason for his firing it was poorly constructed and lack cohesion.

Padre Pio 04 February, 2020 14:43
He said it but it wasnt all he said
In context from Daily Cannon
"We were fantastic in some moments, but we were so sloppy and put ourselves in big trouble with a lot of unnecessary situations,” Arteta began.

“We have to improve because that gives the opponent an opportunity where there is no real scenario for anything to happen and we need to improve that a lot.”

Not only that, but the coach went on to say that he expected the conditions. He prepared for them and he accepts it’s a legitimate tactic to gain an edge."

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

kreddie16 04 February, 2020 21:18
Quote:
SuperRob
Orbinho
@Orbinho
·
15h
Arsenal in 2019-20

Shots per game
Emery 12.5
Ljungberg 10
Arteta 9.6

Shots allowed per game
Emery 16.8
Ljungberg 13.8
Arteta 12.4

Doesn't matter how many defenders you buy or how world class your strikers are if their support is weak it goes nowhere.

Those Stats would look a lot different with Kante and De Bruyne in your team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net