Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Soares joins Arsenal on loan.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 31 January, 2020 11:44
Soares joins Arsenal on loan.
Boston Gooner 31 January, 2020 11:44
Cedric Soares became our second signing of the January window when he joined the club from Southampton.
Soares will be unavailable for Arsenal's trip to Burnley on Sunday due to injury.

Welcome to Arsenal.

https://i.postimg.cc/9XsqvfNL/cs1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2020 11:46 by Boston Gooner.

Re: Soares joins Arsenal on loan.
Boston Gooner 31 January, 2020 11:45
Is that it for this window ?

CazOnARola 31 January, 2020 14:21
Yes it is. All those other stories are agents fishing around for their respective clients

BootyDaddy 03 February, 2020 16:29
2004 = The move to the Emirates means in 5 years we will be competing with Bayern Munich and all the other European giants.

2020 = We are scouting Southampton's reserves for loan players.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SuperRob 03 February, 2020 20:14
Quote:
BootyDaddy
2004 = The move to the Emirates means in 5 years we will be competing with Bayern Munich and all the other European giants.

To be fair, he's started their last 19 games.

And poaching their players worked for Liverpool...

Merlion96 03 February, 2020 21:00
Quote:
BootyDaddy

2004 = "We do not sell to the likes of them"
2006 = 20 year bond for 290-mil GBP for Emirates Stadium
2006 = Arsenal Top-5 in Deoittle MOney League

2020 = Silent Stan Inglewood Project ballooned to US$6-billion and counting
2020 = Arsenal drops out of Top-10 in Deoittle MOney League

goonerred 03 February, 2020 21:28
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
BootyDaddy

2004 = "We do not sell to the likes of them"
2006 = 20 year bond for 290-mil GBP for Emirates Stadium
2006 = Arsenal Top-5 in Deoittle MOney League

2020 = Silent Stan Inglewood Project ballooned to US$6-billion and counting
2020 = Arsenal drops out of Top-10 in Deoittle MOney League
Further depressing news, especially the bit about the Inglewood Project.

Kalela 04 February, 2020 20:16
Southampton shocked by Arsenal signing Cedric Soares

[metro.co.uk]

Quote:
Saints chiefs expected Soares, whose contract expires at the end of the season, to be seeking a move away from the club but were expecting his representatives to be in talks with lower league clubs or teams abroad and to lose him on a free when his current deal ended.

Quote:
Soares is expected to be out for at least the next couple of weeks but were still willing to pay Southampton £5million for his services. Southampton’s board could hardly believe their luck.

Quote:
While they saw no logic in Arsenal’s pursuit aside from certain relationships between the Gunners and Soares’ representatives, according to The Athletic, Arsenal bosses believe they will get exactly what they wanted from the transfer market once Soares returns to full fitness.

Shane 04 February, 2020 21:40
So Soares cost a £5 million a loan fee? Mari was £4 million. Ceballos was £15 million. That's £24 million in LOAN fees over the past seven months - and one is complete dog sh*t, Soares isn't going to play and who the f*ck knows what Mari's going to be like.

Who was the last great 26-year-old Spanish player who moved to South America, came back and ripped up a top European league? We're a staggeringly laughable club.

Flava 04 February, 2020 22:42
The way we recruit players is worrying. I wonder how much we’re paying in agent fees now. It seems to be more about Sanellhi doing his mates a favour rather than doing wheats best for Arsenal

Boston Gooner 04 February, 2020 22:52
Edu & Sanllehi are bad news for Arsenal.

CazOnARola 05 February, 2020 06:10
That's probably how we got pepe. Good or bad. We signed players because we needed bodies rather than for the longer term. If it means greasing the hands of a few scenes, so be it, as long as we get first dibs in the summer on a big player. Dealing with agents is a reality. I'm on as long as it doesn't overall long term player quality. Luiz in hindsight has been a good short term signing for a couple of years. Really the best CB at the club right now. For 40mn budget, we juggled with part payments and got saliba for the future.

However for any long term signings it has to be data and a thought process , it cant be based on the agents and contacts. although tapping up the player using the said agents is fair game as long as the player was identified as a target before hand.

Boston Gooner 05 February, 2020 15:29
Arsenal fans christened him as Don Raul after the Pepe deal. Thing is, he's more Don Rickles than Don Corleone. The Gunners' recruitment is a laughing stock.

CazOnARola 05 February, 2020 16:31
I read that article. Ceballos was someone emery wanted because he had seen him in Spain. Can't really fault him for the other loan deals. We just need bodies and we will have a few folks back hopefully after the winter break. We aren't going to be in the europa League next year. So all of our eggs are in the basket of winning the europa League this year.

Shane 05 February, 2020 18:25
Quote:
CazOnARola
I read that article. Ceballos was someone emery wanted because he had seen him in Spain. Can't really fault him for the other loan deals.

I wrote it. The buck stops with Raul. He out-ranks everybody else and as Head of Football I don't think £15 million loans would be approved without his say-so.

plonky 05 February, 2020 20:12
Putting aside that Ceballos has contributed very little to the team so far our loan deal is not as bad as it looks for a 23 year old Spanish international from Real.

Forget the word loan: we've effectively paid £15m to buy him for a year. If we had paid £60m to get him on a 4 year contract I doubt it would be seen as such bad value for money and at least this way we can get rid of the useless, injury ridden @#$%& next summer.

Same goes for the other loaners

Shane 05 February, 2020 22:16
It isn't the same mate. That £15 million is dead money. £60 million would've been an investment because he would've belonged to us. Spending £15 million to rent a player is much worse than buying them outright for £60 million, because you're not really losing £60 million, but you are losing £15 million guaranteed.

Padre Pio 05 February, 2020 22:57
Walcott, Ox and Iwobi are the only players we have let go at a real profit in last few years. Ramsey and Sanchez we made a big loss on
Doesnt the loan fee include wages?

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

CazOnARola 06 February, 2020 01:51
Quote:
Shane
It isn't the same mate. That £15 million is dead money. £60 million would've been an investment because he would've belonged to us. Spending £15 million to rent a player is much worse than buying them outright for £60 million, because you're not really losing £60 million, but you are losing £15 million guaranteed.
Its a balancing act.. We did not have money to supposedly buy someone with Ceballos 's "qualities" .Emery wanted him and we didn't have money to buy anyone out right. Pepe was a structured deal, but not every club will agree to that, especially madrid.
On top of that, at the start of the season, emery and co. may have been hoping for a long term solution from within, using guendouzi, smith rowe and willock.

Plus loan with an option to buy generally caries a decrease in the cost of the player at the end of the loan spell. So instead of say 60mn, we may have been paying 45mn since we would have paid the one year loan fee plus his wages. If we didn't want or have the finances to commit 60mn sttaightaway, then one can see the rationale.

At the end of the day, their biggest mistake is thinking about emery as the long term solution and not preparing for/predicting his collapse midway through the season. Otherwise they wouldn't have committed two transfer window s worth resources to him.
From now on, it should be all on Edu. Raul's job should be to make deals happen. The player identification has to be Edu/Arteta/scouts' job.
Raul gambled on getting us champions league this year. At the start of the season, i agreed with the "all in" approach personally. I really thought we had an edge on other teams like chelsea, spurs, utd, everton, etc who were struggling or were in transition. It has taken them long to get the season on track.
Unfortunately, emery was unable to build on that and we dropped a lot of easy points after going ahead in the early part of season.

As result we do not have any buffer for a late charge from spurs, utd, Chelsea, everton who are really the clubs with the most resources at the moment.

Next year without Chelsea s transfer window ban and spurs's revival post pochetino 's exit, it's gonna be much much harder to get top 4.

At the start of the season, current season looked like the best chance in the next 3 seasons to get top 4. So we blew our transfer budget on it.
The continued challenge of leicester and wolves has added to the pbms. I don't think anyone had leicester in top 4 at the start of this season.
We will need implosions from utd, spurs, Chelsea , leicester next season to have any chance at top 4 irrespective of signings in the summer.
We gambled on emery and we are fcked now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 04:43 by CazOnARola.

Shane 06 February, 2020 12:53
There is no option to buy him mate.

CazOnARola 06 February, 2020 13:53
Quote:
Shane
There is no option to buy him mate.
then its a @#$%& deal. Still better then actually buying cause that would have cost us a lot for a player we don't need.

Boston Gooner 14 February, 2020 23:30
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta revealed that January signing Cedric Soares is disappointed because he has yet to make an impression in his new team due to his knee injury. Cedric joined the Gunners last month on loan from Southampton but he is still trying to regain fitness and thus hasn’t yet trained with the rest of the squad.

Arteta, though, is hopeful that the right-back will be back in full training in the next two weeks but doesn’t know exactly when he will play his first match for his new team.

The Arsenal boss said: “He is very disappointed because when you join a new club you want to make an impression straight away.

“He had an issue in his knee, it is not completely healed yet and he hasn’t been training with us so I expect him to be back in the next couple of weeks but I can’t give you a date.”

Broken back memories.

CazOnARola 15 February, 2020 03:52
Sign someone for half a season and he misses 2 of the 5 months remaining. You couldn't make this up if you wanted to rofl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2020 10:47 by CazOnARola.

goonerred 15 February, 2020 08:51
Neither of our loan players are fit to play. Both have issues, did we not know this when we signed them?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net