Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Our young players
Discussion started by djarse , 30 January, 2020 12:21
Our young players
djarse 30 January, 2020 12:21
We do seem to have a very good crop of young players.

Obviously, young players by definition are not "proven" to have lasting quality - that needs a couple of seasons at a consistently high standard. But the signs are very promising for next season and they all have bags of room for improvement. You can see some of them forming the spine of the team for seasons to come.

In defence we have:
Saliba (highly thought of in France) - 18 yo
Saka (demonstrating regular quality this season)- 18 yo

In midfield:
Guendouzi (looked back to his best against Bournemouth) - 20 yo
Willock (beginning to look the part) 20 yo
Smith-Rowe (started loan move well) 19 yo

Attack:
Nketiah (good prospect) 20 yo
Martinelli (been in terrific form all season) 18 yo
Nelson (perhaps the most improvement needed but highly rated) 20 yo

And of course, John-Jules and Balogun - two more highly rated strikers both only 18.

Perhaps worth mentioning too that Tierney and Maitland-Niles are both only 22.

Can't recall such a promising bunch for a long time.

Re: Our young players
goonerred 30 January, 2020 12:59
Let's hope they come good, we really need them.

Padre Pio 30 January, 2020 15:21
Quote:
djarse
We do seem to have a very good crop of young players.
Obviously, young players by definition are not "proven" to have lasting quality - that needs a couple of seasons at a consistently high standard. But the signs are very promising for next season and they all have bags of room for improvement. You can see some of them forming the spine of the team for seasons to come.

In defence we have:
Saliba (highly thought of in France) - 18 yo
Saka (demonstrating regular quality this season)- 18 yo

In midfield:
Guendouzi (looked back to his best against Bournemouth) - 20 yo
Willock (beginning to look the part) 20 yo
Smith-Rowe (started loan move well) 19 yo

Attack:
Nketiah (good prospect) 20 yo
Martinelli (been in terrific form all season) 18 yo
Nelson (perhaps the most improvement needed but highly rated) 20 yo

And of course, John-Jules and Balogun - two more highly rated strikers both only 18.

Perhaps worth mentioning too that Tierney and Maitland-Niles are both only 22.

Can't recall such a promising bunch for a long time.
Soon be hearing from Merlion how its all down to Wenger

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 30 January, 2020 20:43
Of course, it is all Arsene Wenger who left us in summer 2018.
Those youngsters started with us as 7 to 9 year old during Wenger Regime.
E.g. Willock was with us for 11 years … and started with Wenger.

Kids who joined us in summer 2018 and onwards are not Wenger's.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

SandyB 30 January, 2020 21:12
Quote:
Merlion96
Of course, it is all Arsene Wenger who left us in summer 2018.
Those youngsters started with us as 7 to 9 year old during Wenger Regime.
E.g. Willock was with us for 11 years … and started with Wenger.

Kids who joined us in summer 2018 and onwards are not Wenger's.

Wenger wasn't the youth team coach. Only when they became Wunderkind then they joined Wenger. So even if someone was there before 2018 still not Wenger's product. (Sm6)

Padre Pio 30 January, 2020 23:07
I dont see how Wenger can be the reason for Martinelli and Saliba

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gooner Sod 31 January, 2020 09:52
Quote:
Padre Pio
Soon be hearing from Merlion how its all down to Wenger

Haha Wenger and Merlion's Wunderkids! Never paid off........

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Shane 31 January, 2020 11:37
Quote:
Padre Pio

But he's somehow still the reason Arsenal have gone backwards.

Boston Gooner 31 January, 2020 11:50
He is one of the reasons.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Shane 31 January, 2020 11:58
Because he signed Mustafi and Xhaka five years ago?

Padre Pio 31 January, 2020 20:26
Because he dropped out of CL twice in his last two seasons , we had become a 5/6 place team.
Yes Emery failed to halt the slide and made matters worse, now we have to see if Arteta can do better, but Mustafi is definitely a problem, maybe Xhaka can change, but I suspect he is playing for a new club.
Wenger, possibly at the behest of the board, thought that stagnation was ok as a strategy. Top four was the target, not first.
If the board and Wenger wanted First as the target they should have gone with Klopp or Pep, but Wenger wasnt prepared to step down when they were available.
The squad is unbalanced and full of square pegs, that didnt happen in one and half seasons.

weedz 31 January, 2020 20:46
I reckon that Freddys influence is coming through in a lot of this situation.
He has these young guys sorted, in the mindset thing.
Confidence, courage, communication and concentration.
I also reckon his partnership with BFG could reap many benefits.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Shane 31 January, 2020 23:18
Quote:
Padre Pio
Because he dropped out of CL twice in his last two seasons , we had become a 5/6 place team.
Yes Emery failed to halt the slide and made matters worse, now we have to see if Arteta can do better, but Mustafi is definitely a problem, maybe Xhaka can change, but I suspect he is playing for a new club.
Wenger, possibly at the behest of the board, thought that stagnation was ok as a strategy. Top four was the target, not first.
If the board and Wenger wanted First as the target they should have gone with Klopp or Pep, but Wenger wasnt prepared to step down when they were available.
The squad is unbalanced and full of square pegs, that didnt happen in one and half seasons.

It was Wenger's fault if Mustafi was playing games in 2017. If he's still playing games for Arsenal in 2020 it isn't Wenger's fault.

We've had four transfer windows to either get rid of Mustafi or sign enough centre-backs to effectively bury him in the reserves.

Up until the other day, we've signed three centre-backs since Wenger left and one of them we loaned out straight away - and the other two were David Luiz and Sokratis. That right there should tell you all you need to know about the people running this club.

Wenger's finger prints are nowhere near the mess that we're in in my view.

Padre Pio 31 January, 2020 23:28
They tried to get rid of Mustafi, but there were no takers, Emery banished him to the reserves, due to shortages of defenders Arteta brought him back, if Mari is any good maybe he can be put back there.
Wenger's fingerprints are all over the decline of this club. In the scond half of his last season the team only won one match away. The terror of away days didnt spring from nowhere, it built up over several years.
Even Arteta is struggling to remove that inability to win away in the league, at least he has achieved it in the cup.

Shane 31 January, 2020 23:41
Quote:
Padre Pio
Wenger's fingerprints are all over the decline of this club.

When he was here aye. He was making the decisions. He had the final say on everything from picking the team to signing the players. But the day he left, others assumed that responsibility and they're the ones accountable for the fact Arsenal have declined in a much bigger way.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have got rid; I'm saying we're 10th in the table and have just signed a Southampton player on loan. We're literally a mid-table team. As I said some months ago, to hold Wenger accountable for that is wrong because it's effectively the same as absolving the current regime of negligence on a monumental scale.

sinpa01 31 January, 2020 23:55
Arteta will do them good!

weedz 01 February, 2020 02:22
I'm with Shane on this.
Wenger's gone.
If it's that important to find someone to blame, I reckon George Graham has a lot to answer for. Lol.
There is no more need to hurl disrespect and hatred at someone the history books will call our greatest manager.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

SuperRob 01 February, 2020 10:19
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Padre Pio

But he's somehow still the reason Arsenal have gone backwards.

Yeah lets give wenger some credit here. After all if he had left us with a decent squad then none of these promising youngsters would be getting a chance in the first team, let alone being relied on week after week. Genius.

goonerred 01 February, 2020 10:49
I thnk it's fair to say the Wenger left us in a bad state, not least the attitude of the players, they just lost that cuting edge. However, I think Emery started well, but somehow it all fell apart, a little bit because of the attitude of some players, a Wenger legacy? but Emery brought his own players in and whilst I like Pepe, still waiting for him to fire on all cylinders though, we definately had more areas on t he pitch that needed to be shored up.

In short, forget Wenger, we had some brilliant times under Wenger and it all went stale. Time to move on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 14:07 by goonerred.

Shane 01 February, 2020 12:24
Quote:
SuperRob
Yeah lets give wenger some credit here. After all if he had left us with a decent squad then none of these promising youngsters would be getting a chance in the first team, let alone being relied on week after week. Genius.

I'm not giving him credit for anything Rob. I'm saying if he doesn't deserve credit for Martinelli and Saliba then he can't really deserve blame for Luiz, Ceballos, Tierney, Torreira, Lichtsteiner, Pepe, Suarez or Sokratis, or the fact those players aren't better than the ones they replaced.

You might say you don't blame him for those players, but you and others do blame him for our ongoing decline, which kind of means you do hold him responsible for the arrivals because the recruitment is undeniably linked to the fact we have gotten a lot worse.

Padre Pio 01 February, 2020 13:17
Wenger left behind a club culture that encouraged dishonest players of which I include Ozil and Xhaka. Emery looked best when he was prepared to challenge that culture and then lost his nerve, made Xhaka captain allegedly at his players behest (not sure I believe that), and he brought Ozil back in. Strangely reconciliation immediately preceded Emery’s worst spell at the club. I think he signed his own death warrant. The legacy of Gazidis was to leave behind a strange trio of conspirators who kicked one member out of the nest, their purchasing legacy is poor to say the least. Why spend so much on Pepe when we needed quality defenders? Of course Wenger is not to blame for that, but the club culture has proved hard to change.
I think Arteta has the quality to deal with some of this, but he needs better defenders and real support when he falls out with Ozil and Xhaka. Of course it will be no use blaming Wenger if the triumvirate fail to deliver support and resources. We have fallen a long way and the way back needs real investment.

Shane 01 February, 2020 14:35
Quote:
Padre Pio
The legacy of Gazidis was to leave behind a strange trio of conspirators who kicked one member out of the nest, their purchasing legacy is poor to say the least.

If it's Mislintat you're referring, he left of his own accord because the place was and clearly is still a shambles.

Arsenal are a bigger football club than Dortmund. That's why he joined. Imagine how bad things would've had to be to make him quit a job like the one he had at Arsenal.

Padre Pio 01 February, 2020 16:38
Word on the street was he was pushed out as the other two started blocking his suggestions

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net