Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Giroud.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 29 January, 2020 12:36
Giroud.
Boston Gooner 29 January, 2020 12:36
Some reports that Spurs want him. (Sm22)

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Giroud.
Jonny Bravo 29 January, 2020 13:03
He would be perfect for route one Jose.

goonerred 29 January, 2020 13:22
As long as we don't get him back as some have suggested.

Boston Gooner 29 January, 2020 13:41
Quote:
goonerred
As long as we don't get him back as some have suggested.

mapleleafgooner 29 January, 2020 13:48
Doubt Giroud will want to sour his history with Arsenal.

CazOnARola 29 January, 2020 14:15
He joined the chavs and celebrated his goal like a kid tasting candy for the first time. He's not british, anything s possible.

Merlion96 29 January, 2020 14:18
He joined Chelski to play regular football … oh well.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Jonny Bravo 29 January, 2020 15:02
He was better for us than Lacazette has been to date

goonerred 29 January, 2020 15:07
I can't forgive him for not scoring for weeks when Leicester won the league, then celebrating like he'd won the World Cup when he finally scored, too late, the league had gone by then.

Jonny Bravo 29 January, 2020 15:16
I suspect the failure to sign a replacement for Welbeck, when the extent of his injury was known before the end of the summer transfer window in 2015, played a bigger part in us not winning the league that season.

Merlion96 29 January, 2020 15:25
Agreed,
Striker will hit a wall sometimes in the season … and penny-pinching Wenger did not even think of getting a back-up during January Transfer Window.
Same thing happened in January 2008 when we need a back-up for "Sick-Note" Persie and Kolo away in ANC.

Anelka and Woodgate were available then. Anelka went to CHelski and Woodgate went to Tiny Totts and won the League Cup.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

hahanice 29 January, 2020 15:31
Quote:
goonerred
I can't forgive him for not scoring for weeks when Leicester won the league, then celebrating like he'd won the World Cup when he finally scored, too late, the league had gone by then.

(Celebrated like the world cup winner that he is)

Much better for club and country than our current starting striker... I for one would be sad to see him to to Spurs but he was a top professional who gave us his all, and was rewarded with a world cup. I wish him nothing but the best

CazOnARola 29 January, 2020 15:38
Giroud didn't have a lot of support and wenger played him well in week out. He also wasn't great with his feet when he first came here but improved his dribble every single till he left.

He most certainly played way better than Lacazette. And his movement (not his speed, choice of runs) was waaay better than Aubameyang and lacazette both.

Merlion96 29 January, 2020 15:39
That was why Deschamp chose Giroud instead of Lacazette in his WC squad.

CazOnARola 29 January, 2020 15:46
Dechamps wanted a decoy. His real striker was mbappe. And he wanted a tall gun dangerous in the set pieces and absolutely flawless defending them.

That's what he got, they won the world cup in second gear. Giroud was never selected because of goal scoring prowess, technical qualities or his passing.

He was selected for his height and ability to follow orders to a T.

Jonny Bravo 29 January, 2020 15:57
He was never really good enough to be our No.1 striker, but that was due in part to the fact he was signed a part of a piecemeal approach of trying to replace RvP with two players, namely he and Podolski.

The latter never really did it apart from a few screamers every now and then, so the burden on Giroud to lead the line was even greater than it should have been.

Like Caz mentioned, he developed a lot over his time here, while his all out speed made him look like he was running in treacle, the timing of his runs for headers, and his intricate link up play with the likes of Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott was top notch.

The only criticism I would have of him was that if he missed a goal scoring opportunity early on, it seemed to stay with him for the rest of the game, leading to further missed opportunities. Perhaps one of the qualities that held him back from being a better class of striker.

goonerred 29 January, 2020 16:20
Quote:
hahanice
Quote:
goonerred

(Celebrated like the world cup winner that he is)

Much better for club and country than our current starting striker... I for one would be sad to see him to to Spurs but he was a top professional who gave us his all, and was rewarded with a world cup. I wish him nothing but the best
He wasn't at the time and he was still useless that season when we needed him to score just a couple of goals that might have made the difference.

Jonny Bravo 29 January, 2020 16:35
Sure we needed him to score during that 15 game barren run, but we also needed Walcott to score as well after juicing us for an improved contract the summer before, and insisting that he was a CF to boot.

We had no option that season to keep playing Giroud until he found form due to Welbeck's absence and the failure to sign an additional attacking option either in summer '15 or during the January window.

Boston Gooner 29 January, 2020 17:31
Shite for a 1st choice.
Ok as back up player.

Flava 29 January, 2020 17:52
F.uck Giroud

Shane 29 January, 2020 20:17
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Shite for a 1st choice.
Ok as back up player.

He wasn't just okay as a back-up striker. Only one player in the history of the Premier League has more goals as a substitute than him, which is Defoe. That makes him a very, very good back-up option. If he joins Tottenham for £5 million it's the bargain of the window.

Boston Gooner 29 January, 2020 22:04
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Shite for a 1st choice.
Ok as back up player.

He wasn't just okay as a back-up striker. Only one player in the history of the Premier League has more goals as a substitute than him, which is Defoe. That makes him a very, very good back-up option. If he joins Tottenham for £5 million it's the bargain of the window.

If he's that good why are Chelsea getting rid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2020 22:28 by Boston Gooner.

CazOnARola 30 January, 2020 06:54
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Shite for a 1st choice.
Ok as back up player.

Both Lampard and arteta prefer tippy tappy football rather than getting crosses in the box. It will suit mourinho though

goonerred 30 January, 2020 08:26
I was never impressed with Giroud when I saw him at football matches, stuff the TV doesn't always show. For instance, standing still and not moving even thogh the ball was a few feet from him, he waited for it to be passed and the chances to advance on goal was lost. That is not him in a position wating for a cross to score, but just actively not involved, more than once. As for Walcott... he was just as bad, right on the touchline an opposition player had the ball, Walcott just danced around in the periphery whilst El Neny ran himself ragged trying to prevent a cross.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2020 11:16 by goonerred.

younghansolo 30 January, 2020 08:48
If he were available for a steal we would be idiots not to re-sign him. Sadly I can see him going to spurs and probably getting 6-7 vital goals, that will probably keep them ahead of us.

Shane 30 January, 2020 12:30
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Because he wants to leave and Lampard doesn't seem to have much use for him. There's a chance he won't make the Euro 2020 squad if he stays.

CazOnARola 30 January, 2020 13:28
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Because he wants to leave and Lampard doesn't seem to have much use for him. There's a chance he won't make the Euro 2020 squad if he stays.
So similar reasons to leaving us then. Definitely seem him joining them if jose does want him.

Boston Gooner 31 January, 2020 14:58
Olivier Giroud will remain with the London club, despite transfer interest from Tottenham.

Frank says no go.

SandyB 31 January, 2020 15:14
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Olivier Giroud will remain with the London club, despite transfer interest from Tottenham.
Frank says no go.
High demand in transfer market...LOL!! Stay away.

weedz 31 January, 2020 21:17
Love him or loathe him Giroud is a very good pro striker.
His pace denies him greatness for sure, but looking back, he had a heavy strike. His positioning was excellent. He was outstanding with back to goal. He poached goals, he Is clever in close passing situations ( remember his part in that classic goal Jack got against Norwich).
He was/is never going to be a great striker, but he was never a poor one either.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Boston Gooner 31 January, 2020 23:13
He's like Marmite.

litmus 03 February, 2020 02:35
Am glad Giroud didn't go to Spurs. Right now, having Giroud in our team would not be a bad idea. He gives teams something different especially against tight defend, and over the years he has shown he can link up well with other forwards. How many knock-downs and flicks has he made that led to goals for us? He is a different type of forward I agree, not gonna give you 30 goals a season, but its not just about goals.

We are struggling for goals right now. His physical presence, ability to bring others into play and playing with his back against the goal and most importantly his heading prowess would have given us more options this season if we still had him. A forward line of Auba-Giroud-Pepe (fast-battering ram-fast) right now appeals to me more than Martinelli-Laca-Auba or Pepe.

There is a reason he scores a lot of headed goals, his desire to get to the ball in the box and physicality comes into play.

I would let Laca go and bring back Oli to play with Auba and Pepe/Gabriel.

CazOnARola 03 February, 2020 03:34
Giroud has better movement and goal scoring instincts than both Lacazette and Aubameyang. He has better a conversion rate than Lacazette. But every manager wants his teams to press from the front, especially because of the new rule that allows to play out from the back. This is why all the managers want mobile fowards who are also ready to work hard.
It is why Lacazette is full getting games inspite of such a goal drought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 09:53 by CazOnARola.

younghansolo 03 February, 2020 09:29
Giroud could have really helped us break down teams and give us a more direct option as well. His link up play is desperately missing at the moment.

Our side is so unbalanced it's painful.

goonerred 03 February, 2020 09:53
We need to be looking forward not back. Giroud is 34 this year, we need young good players. I don't know how we'll get them to come or stay in our current position.

Boston Gooner 03 February, 2020 09:56
Quote:
goonerred
We need to be looking forward not back. Giroud is 34 this year, we need young good players. I don't know how we'll get them to come or stay in our current position.

Sad state of affairs when people want Giroud.

goonerred 03 February, 2020 10:15
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

We same to like/dslike the same players, except for Guendouzi and Pepe, Jury is still out on both for me.

younghansolo 03 February, 2020 10:47
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
goonerred

Sad it may be, but he's still better than what we have in that sense. We don't have a single attacker in that mold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net