Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

May 3 versus Liverpool at home.
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 13 January, 2020 00:04
May 3 versus Liverpool at home.
Merlion96 13 January, 2020 00:04
There were a few lucky escapes during 2003/04 Invincible season:

#1 - Horseface missed the penalty with last kick of the game at OT.
#2 - Last gasp goal at Portsmouth with claim of Pires' dive or isn't Reyes saved us to draw the game?
#3 - After winning the title early, the players found it hard to turn up to play.
#4 - We can't seem to motivate to play against Leicester City at home with Reyes scoring the equalizer.

The prediction is that Liverpool FC can sown up the title by March and latest by April 2020.
And then switch their focus to win the FA Cup and CL Cup.

And we are meeting Liverpool at home on 3 May after they won the title and hopefully, in the midst of CL Cup semi-final battle.

3 May 2020 is the last chance saloon for Arsenal FC to protect their Invincible legacy by beating Liverpool FC at home.
3 May 2020 will prove beyond reasonable doubt that Mikel Arteta is the right manager for Arsenal FC to get them onto the Glory Trail.

Over to you Mikel Arteta.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Re: May 3 versus Liverpool at home.
Padre Pio 13 January, 2020 08:01
I know one game at a time is a cliche but aren’t we getting ahead of ourselves here?

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

goonerred 13 January, 2020 08:16
That 3rd May game will be a nervy one, a title decider, with us needing a win to secure it. My nerves are jangling already at the prospect...

Bergmars 13 January, 2020 08:39
In January talking May thats our Merl nutty as a fruit cake 👍

Under new managment

Merlion96 13 January, 2020 09:29
Quote:
Padre Pio
I know one game at a time is a cliche but aren’t we getting ahead of ourselves here?

Nope.
Perhaps this weekend game against ManU may protect our Invincible record; and 49-0 record.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

younghansolo 13 January, 2020 15:22
Can't see Liverpool losing in honesty. One of the greatest teams in history for getting the result.
Not as attractive as Barcelona were, not as forward thinking as we were. But utterly unbeatable as a culture.
Also, everyone else is pretty much rubbish.

Willy 15 January, 2020 11:28
I would love it, absolutely love it, if we beat Liverpool on May 3rd.

Merlion96 19 January, 2020 21:10
Liverpool 2 0 ManU

Now, on 39-0 and there goes out 49-0 record soon.
Which team can beat Liverpool now?

goonerred 20 January, 2020 07:10
Quote:
Merlion96
Liverpool 2 0 ManU
Now, on 39-0 and there goes out 49-0 record soon.
Which team can beat Liverpool now?
I'm more bothered about the record of going through the season unbeaten in the league, it's more impressive. However, they just keep on winning, they've only dropped two points all season! If they beat it, they beat it. At least we did it first!

Merlion96 24 January, 2020 07:54
Wolves 1 2 Liverpool

And left it late again to score the winner.
On track to smash our 49-0 record.

CazOnARola 24 January, 2020 08:32
Looks like it will come to us to stop the unbeaten season record. Don't see city beating them at the etihaad.

Gooner Sod 25 January, 2020 15:44
Quote:
CazOnARola
Looks like it will come to us to stop the unbeaten season record. Don't see city beating them at the etihaad.

They will have passed the 49 game record before they play us. City away is their 50th match to beat our unbeaten run.

If they get past that. All we got to play for at Emirates is to stop them going unbeaten all season.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

CazOnARola 25 January, 2020 16:33
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
CazOnARola

They will have passed the 49 game record before they play us. City away is their 50th match to beat our unbeaten run.

If they get past that. All we got to play for at Emirates is to stop them going unbeaten all season.
That's all I'm referring to. At this point i have given up on the 49-0 record. Considering an the refereeing and var decisions in their games coupled with the abilities of their players, in hoping for complacency after they have already won the title.

Shane 25 January, 2020 18:50
Even if they do go unbeaten for the season it isn't the same as Arsenal doing it. It's not even close. Our most expensive player in that squad cost £15 million.

Obviously it was 16 years ago so £15 million then was more than it is now, but I'd still guess our squad was built for one-eighth of what Liverpool's squad cost now.

I don't think they will go the season unbeaten though. I'm very confident they won't.

Merlion96 25 January, 2020 23:55
Mane has a hamstring injury.
With games coming thick and fast every 3/4 days now and CL Cup starts in February and Good Friday /Easter Weekend Crunch starts on 10 April, most interesting to see the depth of the squad without Mane, Salah and Frimino upfront.

Klopp will have a tough job to motivate the squad to play out of their skins if the title is won by end-March, as complacency will certainly set in with their priority switching to win CL Cup again (like 2003/04 when players also struggle to motivate themselves to play after winning the title with 2-2 draw at Tiny Totts' Chickenhouse then).

Kalela 26 January, 2020 05:17
Wolves were dominating the 2nd half and that Pedro Neto (very good young player) was giving them problems but then Nuno decided to sub him out for Jota who just came back from a long injury. That ended up being a very bad decision. Liverpool are a very good team but they have also been very lucky in a lot of games.

Gooner Sod 26 January, 2020 13:28
Quote:
Kalela
Wolves were dominating the 2nd half and that Pedro Neto (very good young player) was giving them problems but then Nuno decided to sub him out for Jota who just came back from a long injury. That ended up being a very bad decision. Liverpool are a very good team but they have also been very lucky in a lot of games.

We were lucky in a few games when we went unbeaten too. It's the nature of football. Finding a way to get things done is an amazing trait. Something i hope we can regain under Arteta

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net