Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Palace
Discussion started by MattySadler , 11 January, 2020 14:41
Player Ratings vs. Palace
MattySadler 11 January, 2020 14:41
Leno - 6. Not much to do but unfortunate with the deflection.

Maitland-Niles - 6. Didn't offer much in an attacking sense but defensively did well.
Sokratis - 6. Was okay. Excellent clearance off the line.
Luiz - 6. Again okay but thought he long passing was poor at times.
Kolasinac - 6. First half he was very good but didn't see much from him after that.

Torreira - 6. Good first half. Big loss if he is out for a while.
Xhaka - 6. Thought he was okay again.

Pepe - 5. Put in a good corner for Luiz and hit the post late on, otherwise poor. Decision making lets him down.
Ozil - 5. Started off well but faded as Palace grew into the game and was ineffective thereafter.
Aubameyang - 5. Took his goal well but sent off for an idiotic challenge and will now miss 3 games.

Lacazette - 6. Didn't do a great deal aside from his very good assist, but worked his socks off when we went down to 10. Should've scored.

Subs:

Guendouzi - 6. Lively and defended his box well.
Martinelli - 6. Again lively. Should've scored from his good work.
Nelson - N/A. Not on long.

We were good for the first 25 minutes but only created 1 chance,which we took well. Palace grew into the game and we didn't really have a response. They equalised via a deflection, Aubameyang was sent off and we were hanging on a bit at times, with Sokratis making a great clearance off the line, but also could've won it ourselves late on.

First properly poor display of the Arteta era I think, but under the circumstances we'll take the point.

We conceded a lot of stupid fouls, but I counted five fouls from Ayew in the first half alone. I'm amazed he wasn't booked.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2020 16:23 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Palace
MattySadler 11 January, 2020 14:46
Thought Lacazette might have been suspended for 5th yellow card but they reset after 19 games.

Boston Gooner 11 January, 2020 14:55
The only marks I would change are.

Kolasinac 4. big kid
Xhaka. 3. Poor again.
Pepe. 3. One chance but otherwise very poor.

And Torreira was best player while he was on.
Will be missed if out.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 14:57 by Boston Gooner.

MattySadler 11 January, 2020 14:59
Quote:
Boston Gooner
The only marks I would change are.
Kolasinac 4. big kid
Xhaka. 3. Poor again.
Pepe. 3. One chance but otherwise very poor.

And Torreira was best player while he was on.
Will be missed if out.

Fair thought I was a bit generous with Pepe and Ozil.

Merlion96 11 January, 2020 15:00
Leno - 5. Not much to do. Nervous Nellie and scared to leave his line as if Chelski match is still on his mind.

Maitland-Niles - 6. Didn't offer much in an attacking sense but defensively did well.

Sokratis - 6. Was okay. Excellent clearance off the line.

Luiz - 6. Blow hot and cold but thought he long passing was poor at times.

Kolasinac - 6. First half he was very good but didn't see much from him after that.

Torreira - 6. Good first half. Big loss if he is out for a while.

Xhaka - 6. Thought he was okay again.

Pepe - 5. Put in a good corner for Luiz and hit the post late on, otherwise poor. Decision making lets him down. Too lightweight and easily crowded off the ball.

Ozil - 5. Started off well but faded as Palace grew into the game and was ineffective thereafter. Hodgson got it right to close him down instantly to deny him time and space on the ball. Ozil cannot operate effectively if Front-3 does pull defenders to the flank to give him space to operate.

Aubameyang - 5. Took his goal well but sent off for an idiotic challenge and will now miss 3 games.

Lacazette - 5. Forget him and just drop him. He unbalanced the team with Auba on the left. When did he last scored on 1-on-1 situation. Auba or Martinelli will instinctive lift the ball install of just hit it straight into the body of the goalie on the ground. Laca has 3 games to prove he can score with Auba banned from 3 games.

Subs:

Guendouzi - 6. Lively and defended his box well. Surprise at his awareness instead of running around like a headless chicken.

Martinelli - 6. Again lively. Should've scored from his good work. Boy, if he started the whole 2nd half?
Nelson - N/A. Not on long.

After a bright start, it reverted to Crab Football like:
#1 - during the last season of Arsene Wenger;
#2 - Unai Emery;
#3 - Freddie:
#4 - Leeds 1st half and now Palace game.

Common denominator?
Silent Stan and same set of players.

Silent Stan deserves what he got now with a declining team with zero investment which certainly meant a sharp drop in valuation of his declining assets of an Arsenal Holding. More deficit, less funds for player transfer funds … no new players, more decline in performance … more deficits … less funds for player transfer funds … what a lovely cycle to get rid of Silent Stan.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Flava 11 January, 2020 15:38
I thought AMN was brilliant against Zaha. I’d give him more than 6.

Merlion96 11 January, 2020 15:55
It was an average performance and none of the players deserved more than a 6.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

hahanice 11 January, 2020 16:54
I too would never given AMN a much higher score for keeping zaha quiet. I thought Pepe was poor but also brilliant. He is the only direct dribbling threat we have.
Terrible from ozil and I'm not sure why laca gets a good score. We need our striker to score when he has given the ball at the penalty spot, instead of passing it off to a winger. That right there is the difference between a win and a draw

MattySadler 11 January, 2020 17:06
Aubameyang is the only one who scores. Ozil's numbers are awful this season, as are Lacazette's. Says it all when Pepe is so bad but also our only real attacking threat.

Something has to change with our attack. Predictable and not productive enough.

Kalela 11 January, 2020 19:26
Lacazette was poor today and has been poor since he came back from his last injury. He also appeared to have been playing injured in the 2nd half today. He just doesn't appear fully healthy. I was really impressed by Luiz today. He ran the show from the back early on when Arsenal dominated the game. For some reason they moved away from him and allowed Sokratis to be on the more and that man just doesn't know how to pass. I also thought Xhaka was poor today. He is just too slow. If he will play he needs to be moved further up the pitch to take advantage of his attributes. He just doesn't know how to defend. As soon as Torreira went off Palace started to completely dominate the game.

SuperRob 12 January, 2020 00:50
Also would have given amn more. With these tactics, the right back is meant to sit back so that kolasinac can get really far forward, and he defended well against one of the most difficult wingers in the league to play against.

CazOnARola 12 January, 2020 02:03
Quote:
Kalela
Lacazette was poor today and has been poor since he came back from his last injury. He also appeared to have been playing injured in the 2nd half today. He just doesn't appear fully healthy. I was really impressed by Luiz today. He ran the show from the back early on when Arsenal dominated the game. For some reason they moved away from him and allowed Sokratis to be on the more and that man just doesn't know how to pass. I also thought Xhaka was poor today. He is just too slow. If he will play he needs to be moved further up the pitch to take advantage of his attributes. He just doesn't know how to defend. As soon as Torreira went off Palace started to completely dominate the game.
That was not by design but forced.

Palace had a very good game plan and were double marking pepe and ozil from the start. Even Torreira want getting a lot of space with meyer on him but luiz was.

Second half Hodgson put ayew on luiz and decide to leave Sokratis alone.

Torreira was finding a little space in the first half because luiz was causing so much havoc using Aubameyang and kola on left.

We need multiple threats for our main threats to work better.

Palace had the same pbm which is why we were able to completely snuff out zaha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net