Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Arsenal Signing players on Loan
Discussion started by younghansolo , 08 January, 2020 10:20
Arsenal Signing players on Loan
younghansolo 08 January, 2020 10:20
We keep on doing this and have done for years and apparently we are looking to do it again.

I would seriously question this strategy. I mean can anyone think of a single player we have ever brought on loan that actually did a good job? I'm struggling to think of any except maybe Henry (and that doesn't really count imo.)

You have to question the sense of leadership who persists with ideas that offer no value whatsoever.

I'm not sure why the hierarchy aren't changing tactics here and looking to either sell players for a loss to clear room or seek additional investment to spend more instead of loaning.

Loans are simply a bad investment.

Re: Arsenal Signing players on Loan
CazOnARola 08 January, 2020 10:23
Benayoun's goal against west ham was priceless in getting top 4 that season. Other than that can't remember.
Was julio baptista on loan?

Boston Gooner 08 January, 2020 10:46
Terrible way to run the club.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

AJ The Gunner 08 January, 2020 10:58
This penny pinching club pretend they want us to remain a top club yet wallow in mediocrity all the time. Total disgrace

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Boston Gooner 08 January, 2020 12:22

BootyDaddy 08 January, 2020 13:29
I thought Baptista did alright for us as far as loan signings go. Scored some important goals as well, including 4 in the same game against Liverpool.

That said our loan deals are usually terrible. Apparently we've paid £15m for Cebellos for this season. If that's actually true Raul, Edu etc need shooting.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola 08 January, 2020 14:27
After the pinnacle of brokeback sweden, it's all been downhill since.

mapleleafgooner 08 January, 2020 16:15
Nothing wrong taking the loan route. Even very successful clubs like Bayern take players on loan. The issue here is whether we are loaning the right players to help us. So far, our track record is not that great. Suarez is a recent example of a poor loan. Jury still out on Ceballos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 16:16 by mapleleafgooner.

Padre Pio 08 January, 2020 17:06
Quote:
CazOnARola
Benayoun's goal against west ham was priceless in getting top 4 that season. Other than that can't remember.
Yes he was

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 08 January, 2020 17:58
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
CazOnARola
Yes he was
Then he was by far our biggest success. Pity he didn't fancy the cold weather and got home sick. Was a decent player for us.

SandyB 08 January, 2020 19:15
Quote:
younghansolo
We keep on doing this and have done for years and apparently we are looking to do it again.
I would seriously question this strategy. I mean can anyone think of a single player we have ever brought on loan that actually did a good job? I'm struggling to think of any except maybe Henry (and that doesn't really count imo.)

You have to question the sense of leadership who persists with ideas that offer no value whatsoever.

I'm not sure why the hierarchy aren't changing tactics here and looking to either sell players for a loss to clear room or seek additional investment to spend more instead of loaning.

Loans are simply a bad investment.

Agreed. Totally failed strategy.

BootyDaddy 08 January, 2020 20:29
Quote:
CazOnARola

Brokeback Sweden (Sm126)

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Flava 08 January, 2020 22:45
Quote:
CazOnARola

Haha, great name

Willy 09 January, 2020 09:58
Brokeback tucked away a penalty in the FA Cup semi though...

Shane 09 January, 2020 20:43
Quote:
BootyDaddy
I thought Baptista did alright for us as far as loan signings go. Scored some important goals as well, including 4 in the same game against Liverpool.

Scored a couple against Tottenham too. Looking back I used to feel quite sorry for Tottenham back then. They went 2-0 ahead and they thought they'd get their first win over Arsenal since 1999, and then Julio f*cking Baptista comes along and scores a brace and wrecks it for them. That was a Worthington Cup game or whatever it was called back then.

We literally didn't lose a Premier League game to Tottenham for 11 years, which is astounding if you think about it. Sol Campbell was playing centre-back for us, and he was probably their favourite player the last time they beat us!

Hold on let's do this right: Sol left Spurs, joined Arsenal, won a bunch of things, scored in Champions League final, signed for Portsmouth and won FA Cup, left to join Notts County, got sacked, re-joined Arsenal and Tottenham didn't manage a Premier League victory against us in that entire time.

Sorry to veer off track.

litmus 10 January, 2020 06:50
Loans should be the exception rather than the rule.

Do it when necessary, it can be useful. Only when you need a spot filled on a temporary basis due to a long-term injury to a key player. For example, if Leno gets a three-month injury, it might not be the best idea to simply spend 40 million on another top keeper while he recovers. If you buy, then when the other recovers, you'll have two top keepers and one of them would be very upset being a back-up and will start causing trouble.

Loans are also a good way to "test" a player to see if he can fit in the team/league before deciding if he's worth splashing the cash on. For example, we should have loaned Mustafi first.

CazOnARola 10 January, 2020 07:03
You forgot the third option. When you have long term injuries in the middle of the season and you don't have any money to buy new players eventhough you desperately need to smiling smiley

MattySadler 10 January, 2020 08:00
I think the loan system could be used in a strategic and beneficial way by any clubs. Unfortunately we haven't done that in recent years.

Dani Ceballlos who's good game so far you could count on one hand and has been out injured for a while.

Denis Suarez quite possibly signed whilst not fit and made no impact.

Kim Kallstrom again signed whilst not fit, but did score a penalty in a shoot out.

Emiliano Viviano signed for an entire season and didn't play a single minute in any competition.

Yossi Benayoun who was a useful part of the squad that season.

Not exactly a great adver for the loan system but it can be done.

Sanogone 10 January, 2020 21:08
Nothing wrong with the loan system.

Sanogone 10 January, 2020 21:10
The beast scored 4 at Liverpool.
Dani actually won the game vs Burnley.

This is new for us... Blame City for big clubs needing to loan... not Arsenal.

plonky 11 January, 2020 00:54
Can'r be bothered whether they're loaners or permanent signings as long as they improve the team.

MattySadler 15 January, 2020 22:24
On similar lines, reports this evening Arteta has decided against sending Eddie Nketiah out on loan again.

Boston Gooner 15 January, 2020 23:25
Quote:
MattySadler
On similar lines, reports this evening Arteta has decided against sending Eddie Nketiah out on loan again.

Strange that.

Hope we aren't relying on him.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

MattySadler 16 January, 2020 06:04
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
MattySadler

Strange that.

Hope we aren't relying on him.

Ornstein is saying that Arteta has been impressed in training.

With Aubameyang out for 3 games, Laccazette looking awful at the moment and Martinelli very young and just back from an injury I guess it makes sense.

Willy 16 January, 2020 18:20
Genuinely cannot remember Viviano - what position did he (apparently) play?

MattySadler 16 January, 2020 18:34
Quote:
Willy
Genuinely cannot remember Viviano - what position did he (apparently) play?

Keeper.

MattySadler 19 January, 2020 10:30
Something positive from one of our players out on loan. Yesterday Tyreece John-Jules scored his first senior goal, the only goal of the game as Lincoln beat Blackpool 1-0.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net