Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Man United
Discussion started by MattySadler , 01 January, 2020 22:08
Player Ratings vs. Man United
MattySadler 01 January, 2020 22:08
Leno - 7. Looked much more like himself after the Chelsea disaster. Did well to stop Rashford scoring late on.

Maitland-Niles - 8. I was really worrying for his future after being poor under Emery but so far under Arteta he looks like a seasoned pro. Used the ball well. Excellent in that role.
Sokratis - 8. I've been critical of him this season but tonight could well have been his best game for us. Scored.
Luiz - 9. Thought he was brilliant, as he generally has been since Arteta took over. Leader.
Kolasinac - 7. Booked early on which was worrying but effective for us in the first half. Looked like he played through the pain.

Torreira - 8. Another who appears to have transformed free from Emery's shackles. Turns out using him as an attacking midfielder isn't the best idea.
Xhaka - 8. Very good. Turns out a good, but immobile, passer looks better in a more structured system! Do we want to lose him in January?

Pepe - 9. First half was the best we've seen of him so far. Dribbling, superb touches, a pre-assist and a goal. Shaw will be having nightmares. Hope he really has arrived this time.
Ozil - 8. Never had an issue with Ozil's passing, vision, technique, etc, but again tonight he the sort of running that we haven't always been able to associate with him. Keep it up.
Aubameyang - 7. Could've done better with some opportunities but work rate was excellent again. Stopped looking like a player who doesn't want to play for the club.

Lacazette - 7. Better from him, but looks like a man who really needs a goal.

Subs:

Nelson - 5. Offered the legs we needed, but he kept falling over and his passing was poor.
Saka - 6. Slotted in well at left back again. Could've done better with an opportunity when he broke down the right.
Guendouzi - 5. Tried to put himself about.

First half we were the better side by miles as our front four worked much, much harder than Man United's, whilst the whole team remained disciplined and organised. Second half we kept up that work rate, maintained our discipline, weathered Man United's attempt at a comeback and on another night could've had a few more on the counter attack.

We didn't let the harsh way we lost it late on at Chelsea get to us at all, and the players all look like they're really buying into what Arteta wants to do. The improvement in attitude already has been superb. Just what we needed.

I was really worried about our defence against Man United's in-form forwards but wow, they hardly had a sniff. Great clean sheet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 10:06 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Man United
MattySadler 01 January, 2020 22:16
Have I been too generous?

Noticed against Bournemouth that Xhaka occupied the "left centre" a lot which allowed Saka to play much more advanced than a left back usually would. That's where Kolasinac is at his best. He was effective in the first half, but I wonder how good he could've been had he been fully fit? Could be another beneficiary of Arteta's Arsenal.

CazOnARola 01 January, 2020 22:21
Ozil topped the chart with 11.52km of running today.

Funny thing is him and ramsey were always top 2 or 3 even in the wenger years while sanchez wouldn't be in the top 5.

Its because arsenal /epl fans don't understand what off the ball running is.

Could have, 2/3 goals in the past 3 games if other players could set him up instead of going for ridiculous options.

Kalela 01 January, 2020 22:25
I would give Guendouzi less than 5. He has been really bad lately. Very sloppy in possession and really slow in getting back to defend. Saka did well when he came on for Kolasinac. I can't blame him too much for that wasted chance that he created all on his own.

Quote:
Xhaka - 8. Very good. Turns out a good, but immobile, passer looks better in a more structured system! Do we want to lose him in January?

If you can find an upgrade you would do it. If not it is best to keep him. He is better than the other options currently available at the club.

MattySadler 01 January, 2020 22:28
In Emery's last home game the team covered 105km and made 93 sprints, whereas today they covered 114km and made 116 sprints.

Luiz said in his post match interview that we aren't ready physically for Arteta's style yet. I totally agree, but I find that odd because I remember at one point during Emery's first season we were the top runners and sprinters in the league. What do you think is to blame, Emery's change in style or the players effectively downing tools?

Either way standards clearly slipped.

MattySadler 01 January, 2020 22:29
Most distance run today

Fred 11.71km
Torreira 11.3km
Ozil 11.28km

Boston Gooner 01 January, 2020 22:32
Sky's Ratings.

Arsenal: Leno (8), Maitland-Niles (8), Sokratis (9), David Luiz (8), Kolasinac (8), Torreira (8), Xhaka (7), Pepe (8), Ozil (8), Aubameyang (7), Lacazette (7).

Subs used: Nelson (6), Guendouzi (6), Saka (7).

Man Utd: De Gea (6), Wan-Bissaka (6), Maguire (6), Lindelof (6), Shaw (5), Fred (6), Matic (6), Rashford (6), Lingard (5), James (6), Martial (6).

Subs used: Pereira (7), Greenwood (6), Mata (n/a).

Man of the match: Sokratis (Arsenal)

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

CazOnARola 01 January, 2020 22:35
Quote:
MattySadler
Most distance run today
Fred 11.71km
Torreira 11.3km
Ozil 11.28km
On the channel that has wright and gigs, they showed ozil above 11.5 with Torreira second for arsenal.

Flava 01 January, 2020 22:39
Excellent performance. Still some lapses when in possession from AMN but he was really good.

Amazing, isn’t it? You close those spaces and reduce distances and we start looking like a team again

MattySadler 01 January, 2020 22:40
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
MattySadler
Most distance run today
Fred 11.71km
Torreira 11.3km
Ozil 11.28km
On the channel that has wright and gigs, they showed ozil above 11.5 with Torreira second for arsenal.

Right I took from orbinho on Twitter.

Sanogone 01 January, 2020 22:45
Leno - 7 - Did what he’s employed to do and also got out well for Perreria(?)s chance in the second.

AMN - 7 - A fue iffy moments to begin with but he really grew into the game. He’s starting to look like an actual RB.

Sokratis -8- he was the perfect “second man” did as he was told and did it well, a bit rash at times.

Luiz -9- commanded the Sokratis and the rest of the back four like a true leader, sweeped everything with relative ease and pinged some beauts to start attacks... a capitans performance.

Kolasinac -9- our driving force in the first half, I hope he’s ok.

Torreira -10- he anchored really well in the first half and then gave everything in the second half MOTM for me.

Xhaka -9- did everything Torreira did but Torreira just did it better.

Ozil -8- back to his silky smooth best, had the Utd back four worried without even touching the ball. He was very very tired by the end though.

Pepe -7- amazing first half, poor second.

Aubameyang-8- gave it all, knew when to defend, knew when to go forward. Could have done better with his second half chance.

Laca -7- he is returning to that guy from last season, fluffed a few chances but never stopped running until cramp took him out the game.

I’m not rating the subs.

Overall excellent!

MattySadler 01 January, 2020 22:50
Ozil regained possession 10 times tonight, more than any other Arsenal player

SuperRob 01 January, 2020 22:55
Quote:
MattySadler
Noticed against Bournemouth that Xhaka occupied the "left centre" a lot which allowed Saka to play much more advanced than a left back usually would. That's where Kolasinac is at his best. He was effective in the first half, but I wonder how good he could've been had he been fully fit? Could be another beneficiary of Arteta's Arsenal.

I think these are quite generous. These are about right for the first half, but the second half wasnt great. We lost control of the game and the only reason we weren't punished was because utd were so bad

We need to learn how to control games by keeping possession but without giving 100% intensity

Boston Gooner 01 January, 2020 22:58
Torreira MOTM for me just over Ozil & Luiz.

And top marks to Arteta.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 23:21 by Boston Gooner.

plonky 01 January, 2020 23:00
Quote:
MattySadler
Ozil regained possession 10 times tonight, more than any other Arsenal player

We should up his wages.

Merlion96 01 January, 2020 23:08
I quite agree that Luiz id MOTM.
His leadership and haranguing the DEFENCE to focus is superb.

Sokratis was robbed of a goal by VAR and today, he deserves it.

The difference is that Arteta knew his players and in contrast, Emery is a fraud with all his glossy PowerPoint presentations like another snake-oil salesman.

Freddie got a long way to go, if ever, to attain Arteta's expertise.

Guess all Man City should be celebrating we rollover their arrogant neighbour.

Cherry on the topping - Saints 1-0 Tiny Totts (Sm128)

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

weedz 01 January, 2020 23:13
Top draw result. Best 1st half this season. Lost a bit of control 2nd half, but maintained structure for the clean sheet.
Because our defence has been our biggest problem area, I'll go for Luiz as my MOTM.
He showed the best leadership I've seen this season and had a great game personly.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 23:28 by weedz.

CazOnARola 02 January, 2020 04:46
Quote:
weedz
Top draw result. Best 1st half this season. Lost a bit of control 2nd half, but maintained structure for the clean sheet.
Because our defence has been our biggest problem area, I'll go for Luiz as my MOTM.
He showed the best leadership I've seen this season and had a great game personly.
Luiz and ozil had immense games. Torreira a close second to those two or probably on par and equally important.

Effort wise every single player gave all they had.

Lacazette is important to this system of high press. Martinelli once he gains experience has the ability to hold the ball up similarly, but will probably lose possession too many times at his current level.

Aubameyang is not a 9. His best position is wide left and then switching with Lacazette when Lacazette comes deep. Aubameyang cannot hold up the play and is a big liability in terms of bringing midfielders into play which Lacazette did well yesterday.

Lacazette is the only player in the squad that can do this. Martinelli can do about 70% of what Lacazette does centrally and is the natural successor in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 04:52 by CazOnARola.

MattySadler 02 January, 2020 06:21
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
MattySadler

I think these are quite generous. These are about right for the first half, but the second half wasnt great. We lost control of the game and the only reason we weren't punished was because utd were so bad

We need to learn how to control games by keeping possession but without giving 100% intensity

Fairs mate. My thinking was just that we aren't good enough to dominate any side for a full 90 minutes so second half I expected United to have a spell on top and it was all about how we dealt with it. In the past you might have seen us getting caught high up the pitch or something but we defended well. Only decent opportunities I can recall them having were Perreira's and that late ball in to Rashford, while towards the end we could have had a few on the counter had our decision making been better.

goonerred 02 January, 2020 09:14
Quote:
weedz
JUst watched the Chelsea matach on MOTD and Luiz was excellent in that match too.

As for this match, brilliant all of them, even though we dropped off in the second half, we still didn't concede.

kreddie16 02 January, 2020 16:06
Quote:
MattySadler
Most distance run today
Fred 11.71km
Torreira 11.3km
Ozil 11.28km

Ozil's distances have never been a problem, he just tends to run forward and never back.

AJ The Gunner 02 January, 2020 17:15
Wait a minute, did I get this right? Ozil covered the most distance of any Arsenal player (11.53km) at the Emirates!!! According to Ryan Giggs even though he had big running stats, when Arsenal had the ball he was actually holding his position. He wasn’t running towards the ball but was probably doing most of his running in a defensive aspect.

The Lazy Ozil??? What steroids did Arteta give him??? But at 31, he can't keep up this performance week in week out so we must have an adequate backup with same level of intelligence and experience.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

MattySadler 02 January, 2020 17:26
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Wait a minute, did I get this right? Ozil covered the most distance of any Arsenal player (11.53km) at the Emirates!!! According to Ryan Giggs even though he had big running stats, when Arsenal had the ball he was actually holding his position. He wasn’t running towards the ball but was probably doing most of his running in a defensive aspect.
The Lazy Ozil??? What steroids did Arteta give him??? But at 31, he can't keep up this performance week in week out so we must have an adequate backup with same level of intelligence and experience.

Judging by all the interviews that have come out lately it sounds like Arteta has told the players "I don't care how talented you are, if you want to play you have to be willing to work".

MattySadler 02 January, 2020 18:27
Mikel Arteta on Sead Kolasinac: “I said to him, ‘thank you so much’, because we had Bukayo [Saka] who wasn’t feeling good. He wasn’t ready to play, Kola. He was expecting to start maybe against Leeds or after Leeds & he made an incredible effort. He came to me yesterday & said, ‘boss, if you want me to play, I can play’. We decided to play him & that’s the attitude of the players that I want & he got rewarded. He made an effort, he put himself on the line & he had a great performance.”

Massive effort by the both of them playing any part if they weren't fully fit.

kreddie16 04 January, 2020 02:19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net