Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
January Transfer Window - Whither Sanllehi, Edu and Arteta?
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 21 December, 2019 04:13
January Transfer Window - Whither Sanllehi, Edu and Arteta?
Merlion96 21 December, 2019 04:13
Arsenal's head of football Raul Sanllehi has suggested that fans should not expect a flood of activity during the January transfer window, identifying that it's a more tactical window.

The Gunners have endured a tough first half of the season, leading to demands from many that they invest in the squad during the mid-season window.

However, in similar comments to what was made last year, Raul stated that the summer window is the more strategic one for transfers but discussions around potential deals will take place.

[www.football.london]

of course, it is tactical, like your ramshackle of House Arsenal, albeit with a firm foundation, but in need of major renovation and replacing all the rotted wooden columns and roof rafter beams.

We have a porous roof and broken windows, like a rotted thatch roof that needed to be pulled down, rafter beams replaced and re-thatched. New windows and rotted wall panels needed replacement too.

#1 - Goalie - Leno and no. 2 Martinez is okay. But future planning is to look for a more reliable no.2 who is comfortable playing the ball out of defence instead of an old-fashioned Martinez who struggles to play the ball out of defence. That is for strategic planning in the summer. We can live with Martinez for this season.

#2 - Full back - Bellerin and Tierney have no backup and there is no youth from the rank that can cement their places as a reliable backup.

AMN just does not have that Engine to go box-to-box and has poor positional awareness and cannot focus for 90 minutes with dreadful lapses. He has 5 months to salvage his Arsenal career else it is best for him to leave to further his career elsewhere.

Kolasinac can't defend. Perhaps with the shape and tactical formation set up by Arteta, it may save his Arsenal career. Again, shape up or ship out in the summer.

I doubt Sanllehi will spend in January to buy FB which is no top priority right now.

LB?
Most likely hoping Saka can be converted into another Cashley Cole with Martinelli, all and almost sealed his place in left wing.

#3 - Centre-back - We are overloaded with Sokratis, Luiz, Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos and Medley.
7 into 2 will not go.
Mustafi will most likely see out his contract as no other club is willing to match his obscene salary.
Sokratis and Luiz cannot find any buyers and most likely allowed to leave on a free in the summer.

Saliba coming in next season but even if we buy an experienced CB, he will still need another 3 to 3 months to adjust to Arsenal playing style, maybe longer if he is from Europe or elsewhere.

If Sanllehi is to buy another CB, then Mustafi or Sokratis or Luiz must leave to make way for him.

This is the SECOND most critical position that needed a tactical solution now.

b]#4 - DCM and CM[/b] - We are loaded with them - Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Willock.

Xhaka is strong favourite to leave in January and it frees up a slot to bring in a DCM.
Torreira-Ceballos is the best bet as the defensive shield behind the attacking midfielder/forward and as shield in front of Back-4. What they lack in muscle should be compensated by the muscle of Chambers-Holding or a new physical intimidating CB. We cannot play with midget midfielders together with midget CBs.

That is, FIRST PRIORITY is to sell Xhaka and replaces with a physical imposing DCM to complement Torreira and Ceballos, with Guendouzi, Willock and Burton continue their development in senior team.

Perhaps a short-term solution is to entice Fernardinho to join Arsenal as a hsort-term solution as DCM since his contract expires this summer?

Of course, a 34-year-old Santi Cazorla will help to stabilise the midfield and will be a great paertner for either Torreira or Ceballos or Guendouzi. WIllock and Burtona re still raw like little boy lost in the senior team.

Fernardinho and Cazorla re short-term tactical solution to help Arteta to stop the decline and to stabilise the ship for remaining of this season.

Torreira?
Sanllehi may be bidding his time to sell him in the summer since Arteta makes clear he will not have players who are non-commitment and just do not have the passion to play for Arsenal.

b]#4 - ACM and Playmaker[/b] - Ozil is an enigma. If he is not a toxic influence in the dressing room and just at odds with Emery's tactical game that demanded lots of road-runners, there may be a saving grace to salvage this season with Arteta finding a tactical formation that can accommodate the undoubtedly talents of Ozil. He is our one and only creative playmaker now.

Future?
Smith-Rowe and Azeez (perhaps other budding young talents in our Academy) are the natural successor to Ozil. Arteta will need to develop them for next season.

b]#5 - Forwards[/b] - Auba, Laca, Pepe, Martinelli, John-Jules, Balogun, Nketiah, Reiss Nelson, Zaka.
Loads of youngsters.

You can see the body language of Auba on the pitch - just can't be ar$ed to run and pressed opponents when ball was lost. He is a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room and no help to Arteta trying to rebuild the team with him around.
He entourage made vey clear that he wanted to leave to "fulfil" his grandfather's wish that he plays for Los Blanco.
Just do a trade if Real should table a serious offer.
Let's say Auba = 21 year odl Luka Jovi plus Ceballos.
This will be a boost for Arteta to rebuild Arsenal and uncertainty over Ceballos removed.

Laca?
retain him for remaining of season and gives him 5 months to show passion and commitment else just cut our losses and sell him in the summer.

Summary:
Remember we need 8 no. homegrown players in 25-man squad:
#1 - homegrown - Martinez
#2 - homegrown - Matt macy
#3 - homegrown - Bellerin
#4 - homegrown - Chambers
#5 - homegrown - Holding
#6 - homegrown - AMN
#7 - homegrown - Nelson
#8 - homegrown - Smith-Rowe

#9 - Leno
#10- Mustafi
#11- Sokratis
#12- Luiz
#13- Kolasinac
#14- Tierney
#15- Torreira
#16- Xhaka
#17- Ceballos
#18- Ozil
#19- Pepe
#20- Auba
#21- Laca
#22 - Mavropanos
#23 - ELneny
#24 - Mkhitaryan
#25 - ???

#26 - Under 21 Saka
#27 - Under 21 Guendouzi
#28 - under 21 Martinelli

We have only one slot left for foreign players and needed to sell before we buy.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Re: January Transfer Window - Whither Sanllehi, Edu and Arteta?
CazOnARola 21 December, 2019 08:39
We need a full back, maybe even someone for our youth teams who will step up till Sead comes back. If we can sign a permanent RB great, but i think the hierarchy will wait till the summer for that.

If xhska is moving away, hopefully we get someone on loan for the rest of the season. Although we are pretty well stocked in midfield once Ceballos returns. The pbm has been that ceballos, Willock, torreira, guendouzi, ESR haven't really made any progress in terms of making one of the midfield slot theirs.

I suspect arteta will take time to assess if their output can be improved /they are coachable.

We could do with driving another CB to complement Saliba next season.

Because of the euros, the summer window will be a pbm, so if we sign a CB and a RB now, that will reduce the nos of holes to fill in the summer.

I think its difficult to see us signing a CM this window. Both elneny and mkhi are also out on loan and not yet sold

Merlion96 21 December, 2019 09:48
Arteta's problem is that he needs to sell player(s) before he can buy.
Just hope it is a golden opportunity for any youth ready to grab this opportunity next summer.
How good is Tisei Tutu on-loaned in Bundesliga?

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

MattySadler 21 December, 2019 09:49
Judging by the executive team we have in place above Arteta, and Ornstein's report about the areas Emery actually wanted to strengthen, our transfer plans don't seem to be overly dependent on the manager, or "head coach".

Can be a good thing cause you see with Man United they've changed manager a lot over the last few years and ended up with a big squad of players and many transfer that don't work out. Can also be a bad thing, like say if they don't address what the head coach actually needs, as we've seen this summer.

Main things for me (in no particular order):

1) Revamp the defence - can make a case for all of our defenders not being good enough, plus although I've watched Saliba 3 or 4 times this season and been impressed, no guarantees he'll be able to come in and perform straight away, so you're potentially looking at a high number of defenders, plus we've got to get rid of a load as well.

2) Revamp the midfield - likewise can make a case for all of our midfielders not being good enough, plus Xhaka and Torreira both apparently want out, Willock and Guendouzi are young and we don't know what will happen with Ceballos yet.

3) Athleticism - all over the pitch, but notably in the two areas mentioned previously, we look slow and weak compared to our opponents. Can't get away with that in the modern game.

4) Attitude - attitudes of our players stink. They're losers, they're workshy and they're comfortable. Obviously some, probably the younger ones, will buy into what Arteta wants to do and will be great, but many won't. Got to get rid of the bad apples and make sure the ones we bring in fit the profile.

Obviously this isn't a quick process but it would be great to make a start in January. Got a list of players I'd love to see here so I'm interested to see what we do.

MickTheMan 21 December, 2019 18:36
Quote:
MattySadler
Got a list of players I'd love to see here so I'm interested to see what we do.

Curious about that. Maybe a new thread?

Merlion96 21 December, 2019 22:57
Yes, Matty. Time to start your regular transfer window list.

mapleleafgooner 22 December, 2019 05:30
Kroenke's Rams just got eliminated from the playoffs. I think we can expect minimal transfer spending in January.

Gooner Sod 22 December, 2019 11:51
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Kroenke's Rams just got eliminated from the playoffs. I think we can expect minimal transfer spending in January.

I don't think those two are linked. He doesn't spend his personal money on Arsenal anyway.

If we sell Xhaka and one of Laca or Auba, there be enough money to get a strong CM & CB

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

MattySadler 22 December, 2019 16:54
Quote:
MickTheMan

Wouldn't all happen in January but I was thinking something like this:

ST - Werner (£27 million rc)/ Jovic (possibly in Aubameyang deal?).
AM - Szoboszlai (£22 million rc)/ Olmo/ Grealish (cheaper if Villa go down?).
CM - Partey/ Soumare/ Sangare/ Doucoure (cheaper if Watford go down?).
DM - Camavinga (gamble at 17 but huge potential upside)/ Guimaraes.
CB - Upamecano/ Demiral/ Godfrey (cheaper if Norwich go down?).
RB - Dest (versatile)/ Aarons (cheaper if Norwich go down?).

Obviously a lot depends on who decides not to buy into what Arteta wants to do, and who we can actually get rid of.

younghansolo 22 December, 2019 20:10
I heard us refer to the window as not being a strategic window. I think that's absolutely perfect. We need tactical solutions to help us through the season.

Boston Gooner 22 December, 2019 23:11
Arsenal are considering a January move for Bayer Leverkusen forward Kevin Volland, Sky Sports News understands.

The 27-year-old is said to have been watched by Gunners scouts in a handful of recent matches and is expected to be among the names put to new head coach Mikel Arteta.

Volland is predominantly a centre-forward but can also play off the right-hand side, and is more desirable because he is left footed.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Merlion96 22 December, 2019 23:41
It meant that either Auba or Laca may be sold next month and Volland is needed to replace one of them.
Alternatively, if Xhaka is sold, the cash will be handy to buy another striker cum winger to reduce over-reliant on Martinelli and Pepe.
Of like Henry, Pepe and/or Martinelli is slated to become a striker.

More cheaper options with the wage bill reduces drastically if Auba is sold next month.

Laca?
Most likely retain for his aggression and holding ability with back to goal and then sold in the summer.

Boston Gooner 23 December, 2019 10:12
Napoli and Roma want to sign Arsenal defender Sead Kolasinac, Sky Sports News understands.

goonerred 23 December, 2019 11:10
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Napoli and Roma want to sign Arsenal defender Sead Kolasinac, Sky Sports News understands.
I'd say bite both hands off, but we'll be down to cardboard cutouts soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2019 11:27 by goonerred.

mapleleafgooner 24 December, 2019 02:28
I think either Xhaka and Aubameyang will be sold in Jan while Ozil will be loaned out. And we need to recall Saliba and bring in a solid right back.

CazOnARola 24 December, 2019 02:30
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
I'd say bite both hands off, but we'll be down to cardboard soon.
Our biggest pbm is having too many players new to this league /this level.

There is no need to get rid of anyone who can still play in the team and do a job this season.

Xhaka is the special case. All others can be reassessed in the summer.

goonerred 24 December, 2019 11:13
Carried out wrong function.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2019 11:26 by goonerred.

Boston Gooner 24 December, 2019 14:53
football.london understands Emile Smith Rowe is expected to depart for the remainder of the season on loan.

AJ The Gunner 24 December, 2019 17:49
I just don't trust Penny pinching board Arteta sure has his hands full

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Merlion96 25 December, 2019 10:35
[www.express.co.uk]

Will Arteta consider all these short-term fix now and for the next 2 seasons till all those youngsters matured and step into the breach?
They are affordable and ready-make to strengthen our FB and CB positions.

If Aubameyang or Lacazette is sold next month, I see Arteta going for Mertens and/or Ryan Fraser.
Fraser can take over from Ozil and we will have a Fraser-Lacazette-Pepe similar to Mane-Frimino-Salah in Arteta 4-3-3. And Martens too can takeover from Auba or Laca.
This will depend on Ozil moving on. We will know tomorrow whetehr Ozil still has a future under Arteta.

All these are short-terms and stop-gap measure to fight for Top-4 and to boost the team long-term future.

Doubt Juve will sell Rugani; or Rugani can adapt to English Football.

Blaise Matuidi is interesting. We can only buy him if Xhaka is sold.
His experience will help to anchor the midfield and help in the development of Torreira, Willock and Burton, not forgetting Ceballos if he is still around.

#1 Daniele Rugani
A player long linked with Arsenal, Rugani has played just once in the league all season for Juventus and only three times across all competitions.
The 25-year-old might be available on loan with an option to buy in the summer, or even in a permanent cut-price winter deal.
Arsenal wanted the player on loan in the summer but a deal failed to transpire - so we know there is previous interest there.
With Rugani out of favour in Turin and the Gunners still desperately in need of upgrades at the back, can a deal be struck that would suit Arsenal financially?
With Euro 2020 on the horizon and Rugani on the fringes of the Italy team, it's a possibility.

#2 - Ryan Fraser
Another one who has been regularly tipped to join Arsenal, the Scottish winger is out of contract at the end of the season.
He's still a key player at Bournemouth having played in all but one of their Premier League matches this term but the Cherries may be tempted to cash in were Arsenal to bid £15m for Fraser, who can play on the left wing or the right wing.
The south coast club wanted £30m for him in the summer but it now looks certain they will lose Fraser for nothing in the summer if they don't sell him next month.
Arsenal's main problems are surely at the back, but at 25, Fraser would be a solid option for the long-term and is a creative talent having only trailed Eden Hazard for the most assists in England's top flight in 2018-19.

#3 - Layvin Kurzawa
With Kieran Tierney having struggled with injury since joining Arsenal and Sead Kolasinac linked with a move away from the Emirates, Arteta may be in need of an extra option at left-back soon enough.
Like Fraser, Kurzawa is out of contract in the summer of 2020 and he has featured regularly for Paris Saint-Germain this term, with 10 Ligue 1 outings.
But with Juan Bernat the first choice left-back in Paris, the French champions could be teased into business with a January bid.
Perhaps an initial £10m with instalments or add-ons to increase that fee might do the trick.

#4 - Thomas Meunier
Another PSG player, another man out of contract in six months' time.
Meunier is a regular at the Parc des Princes but PSG could be tempted into cutting ties with the right-back, who can also play on the right-hand side of midfield.
Hector Bellerin's absence is keenly felt whenever he's injured and so Meunier might be a handy back-up to spare Ainsley Maitland-Niles having to fill in at the back again.

#5 - Blaise Matuidi
Another high-profile player whose contract is soon running out.
He's only missed two Serie A matches for Juve this term having even filled in at left-back in one game, but Maurizio Sarri does have a wealth of options in the middle.
And so a bid in the region of £15m might be enough to do business. That's on the more expensive side of 'budget' signings, but his quality is clear for all to see having starred for PSG and Juve.
Matuidi is 32 and so wouldn't be a long-term solution, but in the immediate term, he would add plenty to Arsenal's anameic central midfield.

#6 - Dries Mertens
Arsenal have a few top-quality forwards already in Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette and Nicolas Pepe - not to mention flourishing youngsters like Gabriel Martinelli, Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe - but Express Sport understands Mertens is on the radar.
And at a price potentially as low as £10m given his Napoli deal expires in the summer, the Italian would be an excellent addition.
The versatile 32-year-old has nine goals and four assists across all competitions having scored home and away against Liverpool in the Champions League.
And given he can play in behind the striker, a gap that may need filling in north London with Mesut Ozil's role up in the air, and also out wide on the left, Mertens could be an ideal squad addition.

#7 - Nacho Fernandez
Able to play across the back four, Nacho has been a handy utility player for Real Madrid over the years, having won four Champions Leagues.
He turns 30 in January, though, and having never been a guaranteed starter at the Bernabeu he might fancy a fresh challenge.
A free agent at the end of the season, Arsenal could surely snare him for a low-ish fee - perhaps around £10m - and he'd be an upgrade on some of their current options at centre-back.

Boston Gooner 25 December, 2019 12:28
Will be surprised if we make any top signings in January.
If we get anyone in it will probably be 2 or 3 loan signings hopefully to cover who we move on.

Boston Gooner 25 December, 2019 15:54
And don't forget we lose Martinelli for the nation's U23 side for the CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic qualifying tournament which will take place in Colombia between January 18 and February 9.

Boston Gooner 25 December, 2019 22:52
Mikel Arteta, the Arsenal head coach, has revealed that he wanted to sign Granit Xhaka for Manchester City before the Swiss midfielder instead completed a move to north London three years ago.​

Now that is worrying.

Jonny Bravo 26 December, 2019 00:16
If we can get shot of Xhaka for a decent fee and look to replace him with somebody with a better engine and quicker feet, that is as much as I see us doing.

Selling Auba in Jan would be absolute madness, whose going to score the goals? We have never had such a limited number of reliable goal scorers as we do now.

If he isn't willing to commit to a new contract in the summer by all means sell for what we can and use the funds to solve the attacking conundrum we currently have with having two strikers for one position.

Kalela 26 December, 2019 03:07
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Mikel Arteta, the Arsenal head coach, has revealed that he wanted to sign Granit Xhaka for Manchester City before the Swiss midfielder instead completed a move to north London three years ago.​
Now that is worrying.

It really is worrying. He also likes Ozil. Hopefully he is just being polite. Otherwise Xhaka will ruin his fledgling career as a manager.

CazOnARola 26 December, 2019 04:30
He needs players at a decent level. Xhaka plays for swiss, as immobile as he is. Ppl need to stop overestimating how good willock and guendouzi are.

Each game that xhaka and Torreira have started, at least they are moving the ball forward quickly. Its a different matter that ESR, wilock and Nelson kill those attacks once they get the ball.

Xhaka etc need to be replaced, but if ppl believe that the squad becomes great just by getting rid of him, then that is wrong.

The squad doesn't get better by selling anyone unless you are buying better. Eg "sick note ramsey". We could do with his 25 appearances a season this year.

Arteta wants to play possession based football and he needs ppl that can at least pass the ball quickly once they receive it, not take 4/5 touches like guendouzi and Ceballos.

Merlion96 29 December, 2019 17:50
It will be a grave error in judgement to retain the service of a player who wanted to leave and certainly will not commit wholeheartedly to play for Arsenal.

Just look at Fabregas when he was forced to play one more season with us.
Just look at Nasri August performance before he was old.
Just look at Gallas who refused to leave and just remained "professional" to play out his contract.

Therefore, if Xhaka insisted on leaving, just sell him and try to get as much as possible out of Hertha Berlin.

If Real should table a serious bid for Auba, just sell him and rebuild the team with those funds collected.

Remember how Wenger sold Anelka to Real Madrid and then used those funds to buy Henry, Pires and Lauren?

Same thing can happen if both Xhaka and Auba are sold in January.

goonerred 30 December, 2019 18:36
Lots of noise that Aubu has put in a transfer request.

Boston Gooner 30 December, 2019 23:19
Quote:
goonerred
Lots of noise that Aubu has put in a transfer request.

Its all that chasing around Sunday. LOL

goonerred 31 December, 2019 10:09
Now I've read that he will commit to Arsenal until summer. Que sera, sera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2019 10:09 by goonerred.

CazOnARola 31 December, 2019 11:13
We are not selling anyone in Jan, even xhaka. At best we will get a few defenders on loan and maybe a CM if xhaka is adamant and is allowed to leave.

The club wants to keep as many as possible, finish the season as high as possible and then regroup in the summer. Not sure about the length of the contracts but we also have elneny and mkhi that will come back from loan at the end of the season.

MattySadler 02 January, 2020 14:12
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MickTheMan

Obviously a lot depends on who decides not to buy into what Arteta wants to do, and who we can actually get rid of.

Rumours today that Chelsea are set to bid for Dani Olmo.

Throw Emi Buendia in that list as well now. Really good playmaker this season, but also a very hard worker. I realise this list is containing a number of players who are likely to be relegated, but signing the quality players from relegated teams hasn't done Liverpool any harm!

Boston Gooner 02 January, 2020 23:20
Arsenal have opened talks to sign Jerome Boateng from Bayern Munich, according to reports in Germany.

The report claims that the Gunners have entered discussions with Bayern and initial talks have been made ahead of a potential move this month. It’s also claimed that Bayern are willing to sell Boateng but are holding out for a €15 million (£12.75m) transfer fee. The 31-year-old has made 15 appearances for Bayern this season but his place in the side is under threat from Benjamin Pavard and David Alaba, who has played more as a central defender than a left-back this term.

Don't want him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 23:57 by Boston Gooner.

Merlion96 03 January, 2020 11:33
If we buy Boateng, it is short-term to tidy us over till Holding and Mavropanos are ready and fully recovered from their long-term injury and gained match sharpness.

We have too many CB now:

#1 - Luiz
#2 - Sokratis
#3 - Mustafi
#4 - Chambers
#5 - Holding
#6 - Mavropanos
#7 - Medley
#8 - Clarke
#9 - Saliba

If Boateng should join us, Mustafi needs to go in January, and may be Mavropanos goes in the summer.

Most interesting to watch the development of Holding, Mavropanos and Medley under Arteta now.

MattySadler 03 January, 2020 11:35
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Arsenal have opened talks to sign Jerome Boateng from Bayern Munich, according to reports in Germany.
The report claims that the Gunners have entered discussions with Bayern and initial talks have been made ahead of a potential move this month. It’s also claimed that Bayern are willing to sell Boateng but are holding out for a €15 million (£12.75m) transfer fee. The 31-year-old has made 15 appearances for Bayern this season but his place in the side is under threat from Benjamin Pavard and David Alaba, who has played more as a central defender than a left-back this term.

Don't want him.

Agreed. We've tried filling the squad up with these short term fixes like Lichtsteiner, Sokratis, Luiz, etc. We need to identify our top target and just go for him until we get him.

goonerred 03 January, 2020 12:42
We seem to be linked with everyone now!!! Boeteng is too old for a team in transition, we need good players for the future.

goonerred 03 January, 2020 13:11
We should make a cheeky bid for ALexander-Arnold! Just watched him v Liecister, his pace, crosses and passes were brilliant and he scored a goal. No, I'm not on the sauce, I'm momentarily in a parallel Universe. Will somebody, anybody beat Pool before they get to our Invincibles tally of unbeaten matches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 13:12 by goonerred.

MattySadler 03 January, 2020 16:57
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MickTheMan

Rumours today that us, Spurs, Everton and West Ham are in for Aarons.

CazOnARola 03 January, 2020 20:24
What are people 's thoughts on eduardo camvinga?

Boston Gooner 03 January, 2020 21:48
Quote:
CazOnARola

All I know is that he is a young midfielder with a big future apparently.
Think bigger clubs will be going for him.

Boston Gooner 03 January, 2020 21:52
Bayern Munich would be willing to let Jerome Boateng join Arsenal for no transfer fee according to reports in Germany.

But according to Bild, the German champions would be willing to waive the transfer fee for Boateng if the Gunners paid the 31-year-old’s salary in full. Boateng’s current contract with Bayern expires in 2021 and is worth around €230,000 (£196,000) a week.

MattySadler 04 January, 2020 12:09
Quote:
CazOnARola

Mentioned him in my initial list of possible targets.

Around December time he was one of the top ball-winning midfielders in Europe's top five leagues, only behind Leicester's Ndidi if I remember right. Watching his highlights I think he could be suited to the Premier League physically. He has been mostly used as a ball-winner but given his passing range I think he could step up to a whole other level.

Downside is it is a big gamble at 17, and I hear Real Madrid are apparently keen.

MattySadler 04 January, 2020 12:10
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Bayern Munich would be willing to let Jerome Boateng join Arsenal for no transfer fee according to reports in Germany.
But according to Bild, the German champions would be willing to waive the transfer fee for Boateng if the Gunners paid the 31-year-old’s salary in full. Boateng’s current contract with Bayern expires in 2021 and is worth around €230,000 (£196,000) a week.

Yeah I could see us going for that.

Boston Gooner 08 January, 2020 00:04
Kroenke will certainly not help Arteta money wise.

CazOnARola 08 January, 2020 05:30
We are on our own. We need to sell before we buy.

MattySadler 08 January, 2020 20:41
Being linked with 17 year old Coritiba right back Yan Couto. Leverkusen are also being linked. Could be available for 5 million euros in the summer.

I know nothing about him but a few on Twitter are saying he is a great prospect. Sandy?

Boston Gooner 09 January, 2020 15:46
Mikel Arteta has warned Arsenal supporters not to expect "big things" in the January transfer window.

And the Gunners head coach revealed talks over a new deal for captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will be put on the back burner until the summer.

The Gunners are unlikely to make any permanent signings this month after a hefty outlay in the summer.

They broke their club transfer record to recruit Nicolas Pepe as well as completing moves for David Luiz, Gabriel Martinelli, Kieran Tierney and William Saliba - with the latter then rejoining St Etienne on loan.

Those deals equated to a reported total in excess of £135million, meaning the well for January signings is all but dry.

"I don't know, I'm not expecting big things," Arteta replied when asked about potential transfer business.

"I'm expecting big things from the players I have at the moment, the players that are recovering from injuries. That's the biggest expectations from my side.

"If we can find something to help us go through the season in a more balanced way in certain areas, and which is helpful, we'll look at the options.

"We always have to be looking because obviously we have some bad injuries for players who are going to be out for a long time. We have to see if we can find options there."

goonerred 09 January, 2020 15:50
I don't like the sound of that! If we don't doe anything about Aubameyang's contract until summer, that means he can go on a free next year. He might not want to leave it that long if he wants to go, but we do have form for this.

Boston Gooner 09 January, 2020 16:09
Quote:
goonerred
I don't like the sound of that! If we don't doe anything about Aubameyang's contract until summer, that means he can go on a free next year. He might not want to leave it that long if he wants to go, but we do have form for this.

Same old Arsenal.

CazOnARola 09 January, 2020 16:46
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Mikel Arteta has warned Arsenal supporters not to expect "big things" in the January transfer window.
And the Gunners head coach revealed talks over a new deal for captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will be put on the back burner until the summer.

The Gunners are unlikely to make any permanent signings this month after a hefty outlay in the summer.

They broke their club transfer record to recruit Nicolas Pepe as well as completing moves for David Luiz, Gabriel Martinelli, Kieran Tierney and William Saliba - with the latter then rejoining St Etienne on loan.

Those deals equated to a reported total in excess of £135million, meaning the well for January signings is all but dry.

"I don't know, I'm not expecting big things," Arteta replied when asked about potential transfer business.

"I'm expecting big things from the players I have at the moment, the players that are recovering from injuries. That's the biggest expectations from my side.

"If we can find something to help us go through the season in a more balanced way in certain areas, and which is helpful, we'll look at the options.

"We always have to be looking because obviously we have some bad injuries for players who are going to be out for a long time. We have to see if we can find options there."
Arteta's version of "Bellerin will be like a new signing".

Of course we shouldn't direct any hate towards him. Our owners never really invested their money, so no surprise after we posted that 23mn loss.

MattySadler 09 January, 2020 19:03
Looking like Mustafi could be off to Turkey

mapleleafgooner 09 January, 2020 19:40
Quote:
MattySadler
Looking like Mustafi could be off to Turkey

While Mustafi has not endeared himself with solid performances, now is not the time to get rid of him with Chambers out for rest of season. Unless they plan to bring in a solid CD in January.

Boston Gooner 09 January, 2020 21:56
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Of course we shouldn't direct any hate towards him. Our owners never really invested their money, so no surprise after we posted that 23mn loss.

Caz,
Don't hate the guy at all.
But when he took the job on surely he asked if money was available or not.
He keeps going on about getting everyone onside including fans so why not just say if we have or haven't money.

Padre Pio 09 January, 2020 22:58
Yes non returning injured players will be just like not having a new signing

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 10 January, 2020 02:10
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Caz,
Don't hate the guy at all.
But when he took the job on surely he asked if money was available or not.
He keeps going on about getting everyone onside including fans so why not just say if we have or haven't money.
That's not how any organization works at all. Arsenal is a company, used to be a public company at that.
No employee has ever been paid or has signed a contract that allows them to tell the truth about their current financial situation or slow any dissent at lack of funds.

Arteta got the biggest job of his life. He was not going to turn it down because he was told "look we don't have money to back you for the next 6 months, can you work with what you have?"

Besides this can easily be a negotiation ploy to get a low balling clubs to pay more for the likes of mustafi, elneny or mkhi.

Look at the physical abilities and the intensity in todays games compared to 1960s. These are not football "clubs" 200 yards from your backyard. These are football corporations much like a P&G, Unilever, etc

Boston Gooner 10 January, 2020 10:08
Reports that Mikel Arteta wants to sign another box-to-box midfielder despite Granit Xhaka’s decision to stay at the club.

Arteta is aware of Arsenal’s budget problems, but feels he needs more athleticism in the middle of the park and the Arsenal boss wants a player capable of challenging Xhaka for his spot.

CazOnARola 10 January, 2020 10:50
There we go.. Leaks to placate the fans. Of course no chance of any midfield signings now. Only a CB loan unless of course a top CB is available on the cheap

Merlion96 10 January, 2020 11:24
I believe they will either sign somebody we never even know or nobody.

goonerred 10 January, 2020 11:42
Quote:
Merlion96
I believe they will either sign somebody we never even know or nobody.
I reckon nobody.

Boston Gooner 13 January, 2020 14:32
Dinos Mavropanos has joined 2.Bundesliga side FC Nuremberg on loan for the remainder of the season.

Another useless C/Back signing.

Boston Gooner 13 January, 2020 14:34
defender Merih Demiral ruled out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury.

CazOnARola 13 January, 2020 14:55
At least he got the injury before we signed him.

Boston Gooner 13 January, 2020 15:14
Quote:
CazOnARola
At least he got the injury before we signed him.

We'll probably sign him now. lol

goonerred 13 January, 2020 15:18
Why not. We bought Tierny when he was injured didn't we?

MattySadler 13 January, 2020 21:02
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MickTheMan

Athletico Paranaense's president has apparently said he expects us to bid for Bruno Guimaraes towards the end of the season.

Boston Gooner 13 January, 2020 23:16
According to The Sun, Arsenal are interested in a surprise move for Manchester City defender John Stones. (Sm22)

Wouldn't want him.
Makes mistakes and gets injuries.

Bergmars 14 January, 2020 14:54
Just what we need another error/injury prone CB

Under new managment

Boston Gooner 14 January, 2020 15:04
Quote:
Bergmars
Just what we need another error/injury prone CB

Can't see this move happening at all. (thank god )
City wouldn't let it happen this stage of the season.

MattySadler 14 January, 2020 17:11
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MickTheMan

Athletico Paranaense's president has apparently said he expects us to bid for Bruno Guimaraes towards the end of the season.

Apparently just a tactic to drive up Benfica's bid.

younghansolo 14 January, 2020 17:54
The John Stones thing is low key legit interest. Wouldn't at all be surprised if it happens.

goonerred 15 January, 2020 14:01
Quite a few links to who we might buy, and a list of who we might sell - but nothing!

goonerred 15 January, 2020 14:05
How times have changed, this from Sky -

ARSENAL EYE KESSIE

Arsenal have made a further enquiry about the availability of AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie but might face competition from West Ham, according to The Sun.

Mikel Arteta is keen to strengthen his squad in January with a midfielder among his priorities.

We're facing competition from West Ham. (Sm22)

Boston Gooner 15 January, 2020 14:05
We are still struggling to find idiots to buy our deadwood.

Boston Gooner 15 January, 2020 15:54
Asked for an update on any transfer business Arsenal are hoping to conduct this month, Arteta said at his pre-match press conference on Wednesday: ‘Bad news for you guys I have nothing to say yet.’ Probed specifically on Stones, Arteta said there was ‘no truth at all’ in the speculation while he also denied any interest in AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie. On Stones he added: ‘John is a player that I really like and I followed. We signed him when I was at Manchester City and I worked with him for many years and know him well. ‘When I look at centre-backs he has many attributes that I like from one, but we’re not interested.’

weedz 15 January, 2020 19:33
Quote:
Boston Gooner
‘When I look at centre-backs he has many attributes that I like from one, but we’re not interested.’

Says a lot about where we are at as a club.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

MattySadler 15 January, 2020 22:14
Not for this window but rumours we are in talks with Dries Mertens and Layvin Kurzawa, both of whom are available for free in the summer.

Don't like to be negative but Mertens is 32 and last his best, and for a start Kurzawa is injury prone.

MattySadler 16 January, 2020 06:07
Quote:
MattySadler
Not for this window but rumours we are in talks with Dries Mertens and Layvin Kurzawa, both of whom are available for free in the summer.
Don't like to be negative but Mertens is 32 and last his best, and for a start Kurzawa is injury prone.

Now saying that due to injury problems we could be looking to sign Kurzawa on the cheap this transfer window.

MattySadler 16 January, 2020 12:26
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
MickTheMan

Apparently just a tactic to drive up Benfica's bid.

Or not. To quote The League of Gentlemen; "this is just a saga now."

Boston Gooner 16 January, 2020 13:45
Arteta on about keeping Mustafi now.

MattySadler 16 January, 2020 18:22
Not surprised. No Chambers, Holding not fit and we don't appear to be close to signing anyone.

Boston Gooner 19 January, 2020 23:20
Barcelona eye shock move for Ceballos
New Barcelona manager Quique Setien is planning a surprise swoop for Dani Ceballos.

Ceballos is currently on loan for the season at Arsenal from Real Madrid, but has struggled for game time since returning from a hamstring injury.

And according to Spanish publication Diariogol, the Catalan side are weighing up making a move for the midfielder.

goonerred 20 January, 2020 07:08
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Arteta on about keeping Mustafi now.
Has he any choice? wIth Chambers out and no money to buy anyone decent, we'd be down to cardboard cutouts. We have to face facts, we have mostly dross in our squad and they will remain for a while. It's up to Arteta to get them gelling together. Lower teams can do it with good management, many teams in the prem punch above their wieght.

CazOnARola 20 January, 2020 07:50
Everyone in the relegation battle has players who are physically better than our players and some of them are better even technically.

The bare minimum you need is to be able to run fast of you want to punch above your weight, and there where we have pbms.

Our players are @#$%& one v one offensively as well as defensively against even championship players like the ones at leeds (cooler of those leads players will walk into our team).

Barring Pepe, all our players will lose in a one v one situation and need other team mates to create over loads.

Same thing defensively, bar guendouzi, Sokratis and AMN, so our players will lose in one v ones, including Torreira, acrobat their cover parts and hence need help from team mates.

As a result ask the players in the team expend way more energy than their opponents.

This was a problem only against top 3 teams to 2011,then it became top 6 and now we struggle right upto nos 20 and the top of the championship.

We no longer have technical superiority or physical superiority barring a couple of players.

Add to that team's like Liverpool/leicester etc are able to buy sterlings, Coutinho s, suarez, drinkwater, mahrez, kante, mcguire act buying them for peanuts compared to sell price and teams like spurs/United /Chelsea /city haveing premiership ready youth products and u land in this situation.

There is no quick fix for this if the owner won't spend their own money as part of a "gallery" naming sponsorship or something.

I don't see us finishing top 6 for the next 2 seasons unless we pull 6/7 Martinelli like signings or spend 200mn pounds

goonerred 20 January, 2020 08:01
I think we can run faster than we do, also getting the ball forward gives you more chance of getting a goal! We were on the edge of their box on Saturday and the ball ended up in Leno's arms, ridiculous. Half the time the ball goes sideways or backwards, many time giving up the ball in dangerouse areas. I'm sure if much of that is knoceked out of them we'll be better off!

CazOnARola 20 January, 2020 08:15
We obviously can run faster but the players lack the natural athletic ability to do so consistently every game.

Some of them can do it like Martinelli /AMN but most of them cant. And there is no quick fix for the lack of upper body strength of course.

goonerred 20 January, 2020 08:22
Quote:
CazOnARola
We obviously can run faster but the players lack the natural athletic ability to do so consistently every game.
Some of them can do it like Martinelli /AMN but most of them cant. And there is no quick fix for the lack of upper body strength of course.
Makes you wonder how the bloody hell they're making good money as professional footballers then!!!!!!

CazOnARola 20 January, 2020 09:23
He he they are better than the 99% ppl in the world at those things, just not better than the 400 players that play in the Premier League.. Most of them like xhaka will do well in serie A.

goonerred 20 January, 2020 09:49
You make them sound like they should have zimmer frames as accessories. They are professional athletes, they just don't have brains, motivation or committment. Arteta can fix that - if he's good enough, he has a job on his hands though. I'm afraid there's been too muich malaise and apathy from the players for years and they just can't get out of it, pass the ball sideways or backwards and let somebody else take the reponsibilty.

CazOnARola 20 January, 2020 10:07
Sideaways passes happen when your passing channels are closed down. SFU weren't just closing down players but passing channels like a klopp team.
Our off the ball movement was nowhere near required to break down SFU.
Even the change in structure implemented by arteta (xhaka at left back when in possession / AMN as an inverted full back playing CM) didnt help as SFU were ready for it.
AMN s outball to pepe/Nelson which worked in all previous games was cut off 2/3 timea as SFU players read it (prepared by thier coach undoubtedly).
In such situations u need individual quality to overcome a well drilled unit, which explains pepe being our biggest threat.

Its not just an attitude issue, both Torreira and xhaka aren't going to beat many CMs in the EPL in a foot race.

These things don't matter when your technical quality Is way higher, but the gap in technical quality of teams in england (leeds as an example) is no longer as big between top and bottom. Physically as well they can run for 90 min(wenger commented on this 5/6 years back, previous generation bottom clubs would tire around 70min).

So we have no place to hide as a team. Its all on Arteta and his ability to out fox the opposition coach to cover for the deficiencies of his players (particularly a lack of physical superiority compared to leicester, chelsea, spurs, liverpool.)

If the opponents neutralize any tactical advantage of the formation that arteta plays, we struggle like any would but dont have the individual brilliance to break out of that unlike the other top teams or even wolves with adama traore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 10:29 by CazOnARola.

Boston Gooner 20 January, 2020 14:56
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta admits the club might not make any signings in the January transfer window.

goonerred 20 January, 2020 15:00
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta admits the club might not make any signings in the January transfer window.
No surprises there then!

Bergmars 20 January, 2020 15:22
Watching Liverpool v United was an education we are light years behind Arteta is mad taking the job on.

Under new managment

Merlion96 20 January, 2020 20:31
It took Klopp 5 years to reach there.
And it also took Wenger 5 years (1996 to 2001) to win his 2nd title.
Arteta will also need at least 5 years to win silverware, if any.

Padre Pio 20 January, 2020 23:16
1998 Wenger won his first title at Arsenal and 2002 his second, I make that 4 years.
Wenger inherited a team that understood clean sheets had nothing to do with bed time, however Arteta has inherited a team that is incontinent and I dont mean in bed.
So we could be waiting quite a while

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 21 January, 2020 01:41
Football has changed a lot in the last 3 years. As more investment has been flowing in from all over the world in football and EPL, it has finally reached a point where a clubs historical significance has nothing to do with fire success. Players all over the world no longer see the size of the club as their biggest motivator. Playing in the Premier League, yes that is still a dream for many. But after that is money and only money.
There were signs when stoke city were able to some big names considering their history and size. Now your have top players well drilled physically competent players at every club.
We will be struggling to get into europa next year when spurs and united will likely invest again to get back to champions league. Our only hope is wolves tottering off all though they have spent 200mn over the past two years and are highly ambitious as well.

Until kronke goes, we are done as a 7 club.

mapleleafgooner 21 January, 2020 21:50
Quote:
CazOnARola

Wolves and Sheffield Utd are doing quite well in the league and they both do not have a larger transfer budget than Arsenal. While I wish Silent Stan will sell to an ambitious owner, the issues with the current team came about from the bad deals and purchases made by Gazidis and Wenger and now made worse by the current regime of Raul and Edu. Need to fix the current team issues first thru sell and buy.

CazOnARola 22 January, 2020 01:42
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
CazOnARola

Wolves and Sheffield Utd are doing quite well in the league and they both do not have a larger transfer budget than Arsenal. While I wish Silent Stan will sell to an ambitious owner, the issues with the current team came about from the bad deals and purchases made by Gazidis and Wenger and now made worse by the current regime of Raul and Edu. Need to fix the current team issues first thru sell and buy.
Agreed but u need to consider the transfer ban on Chelsea and the investments being made at other clubs.

If leeds make it back to epl, expect them to put a few teams under pressure as well.
The reason i was expecting emery to do better was because of the transition and turmoil at utd, chelsea and spurs. All of them have better and more physically competent players than us and have under achieved this season.

Im not saying that we can't step up, but expect other teams to step up as well as the standards are getting higher each year.

We probably need to have a successful couple of seasons (top 4 or close) with Martinelli and pepe at the fore front and sell them on for 100mn+ like Liverpool did with sterling, suarez, coutinho to rebuild other areas of the squad. The alternative to that is Martinelli like scouting or owner pumping in money though bogus sponsorship deals like the everton stadium naming rights.

We haven't had our ronaldo/bale/hazard/coutinho moment compared to other teams around us or a kane/ali moment and thats why we are struggling with our transfers. It means we cannot afford to make any mistakes at all unlike other teams.

Boston Gooner 22 January, 2020 23:19
Arsenal are supposedly in talks for Shakhtar Donetsk centre-back Mykola Matviyenko according to his agent.

Definitely not sure he is the answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2020 23:30 by Boston Gooner.

Merlion96 23 January, 2020 00:37
Guess Silent Stan instruction is self-sustainable and to sell before looking for bargains:
E.g. sell Elneny and use the funds to buy an economy-class CB.

The 23-year-old has nailed down his place at the heart of Shakhtar’s defence this term, making 27 appearances across all competitions for the Ukrainian champions.

RHowever, it appears Matviyenko already has one eye on a big move away from Shakhtar after he ‘liked’ a post on Instagram hinting at an imminent switch to the Premier League. ‘Arsenal wants to carry out a transaction to buy Matviyenko by February 1st,’ the post said.

Matviyenko’s agent, Yuriy Danchenko, ‘hopes’ Arsenal reach an agreement with Shakhtar after opening talks for the Ukrainian centre-back. ‘Recently, my colleagues and I have been constantly in contact with representatives of the Arsenal, and have had meetings,’ Danchenko told Ukrainian media. ‘The Gunners’ hierarchy have already contacted [Shakhtar], and we hope that these negotiations will succeed.’

Read more: [metro.co.uk]
Twitter: [twitter.com] | Facebook: [www.facebook.com]

Boston Gooner 23 January, 2020 16:22
They want £30m for Matviyenko (Sm105)(Sm105)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net