Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Brendan Rodgers
Discussion started by tigerline , 06 November, 2019 14:06
Brendan Rodgers
tigerline 06 November, 2019 14:06
Is he even a realistic possibility to replace Emery?

Are there any rules against us tapping him up over the international break after he kicks Emery's confused misfits off of the pitch on Saturday?

Would he listen?
Arsenal is still a much bigger club than Leicester, even after Saturday, right?

Re: Brendan Rodgers
Padre Pio 06 November, 2019 14:12
Arsenal would have to pay off his contract abd compensation depending on length of his contract

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

tigerline 06 November, 2019 14:25
It is quite possible that his contract has a stipulated buyout provision that would control a move like this. Typically, the buyout amount is much less than the full value of the contract. In some cases, if a club is desperate enough to get that particular coach, there will be no buyout in the event that the "Magic" coach wants to move to a new team or a new league. In American college football, Alabama has such an arrangement with nick saban - his contract allows him to pull out and move anywhere at any time with no buyout owed to the school.

Are there any other examples of a situation like this one that Arsenal is facing ... where a PL manager has jumped ship at midseason to move to a bigger PL club?

hahanice 06 November, 2019 15:17
Just saying here in the states Florida State asked, and their private donors came up with 20M to pay out their coach after firing him. Change is possible to those who want it enough

Jonny Bravo 06 November, 2019 15:21
Reckon the biggest stumbling block to getting rid of Emery for the club will be money.
Somebody said on a previous thread, this is not the Hill-Wood conservative Arsenal, implying that Raul and Co will have no compunctions about replacing Emery.
While the footballing executive can make recommendations as to Emery's position and likely actions to pursue a successor, the Kroenke's still hold the final decision on who comes and goes and for them the cost of this upheaval will be to the forefront of their minds.
Now that can be countered with the cost of missing out on the CL if they don't act, but getting Brodge or anyone else in for that matter doesn't guarantee top 4 either.
A recent example of an attempted ship-jumping was Silva at Watford to Everton mid-season and that hasn't exactly worked out and left a bitter taste for a lot of parties involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 15:49 by Jonny Bravo.

Padre Pio 06 November, 2019 16:15
Here the manager is expected to keep to contract, any breach, either way, leads to a dispute over compensation for remaining time. A coach cannot walk out, unless its mutually agreed.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner 06 November, 2019 17:21
And why would he leave Leicester.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Padre Pio 06 November, 2019 18:24
He's always fancied himself at a big club

Boston Gooner 06 November, 2019 18:27
Quote:
Padre Pio
He's always fancied himself at a big club

We aren't big.

Padre Pio 06 November, 2019 20:31
We are as a club, we are sitting on massive real estate 2 miles form the city

Bergmars 06 November, 2019 21:09
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Exactly

Under new managment

CazOnARola 07 November, 2019 00:58
Quote:
Padre Pio
We are as a club, we are sitting on massive real estate 2 miles form the city
Liverpool hadnt done anything worthwhile for a long time till they won the UEFA cup. Leicester isn't a big club. We are a big club. Its generally defined by the resources and ability to pay and we have both of those over Leicester. But he has only been there for a short while, so dont see it happening before season ending wt earliest.
If emery out campaign rises to wenger out proportions, they will just have freddie take over.

We were all ready till write off the first couple of seasons when wenger left, but we got so close to top 4 last year it raised expectations. This year its Europa or bust again. Forget the league, we are not going to finish above 6.

Jonny Bravo 07 November, 2019 14:14
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Exactly. Club size aside, its all about timing for these managers looking to get into one of the Top 6 jobs. Arrive at the wrong time, or make a major bags of it while you are there you spend the next few years trying to rehabilitate your image.
Rogers has already been through this with Liverpool and has chosen his next career moves very carefully to get back into top 6 management again.
From his POV right now, with 3 of those top 6 teams struggling, leaving one of the CL spots wide open, with the other possibly up for grabs as well depending on how Lampard gets on at Chelsea, dealing with CL distractions etc.
Why jump on the first opening that comes his way, when he could very possibly get Leicester in the CL, and have the pick of Us, Spuds and United come the end of the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 14:15 by Jonny Bravo.

BootyDaddy 09 November, 2019 13:25
I shouted Rodgers before we got Emery and not many on here agreed at the time.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

MickTheMan 09 November, 2019 19:38
Quote:
BootyDaddy

It was a good shout. None on here whould shout Emery tough...

Boston Gooner 09 November, 2019 20:35
Brendan Rodgers has suggested he has no desire to become Arsenal manager, insisting he’s ‘already in a top job.’

kunai16 10 November, 2019 11:18
Quote:
BootyDaddy

It was clear to see, I remember I was glad Charlie Nicholas was on Skysports saying we should get him. I've rated him as a manager since I heard his managerial background, he had his work experience in spain became the most passing team in the country and swansea and was a slip away from the title at Liverpool. I thought it was obvious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net