Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Tonight.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 30 October, 2019 21:36
Tonight.
Boston Gooner 30 October, 2019 21:36
Seriously bad result.
Totally blew it again.
Emery out now.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Tonight.
younghansolo 30 October, 2019 21:38
This team would have a tremendous future with a decent manager.

This result will destroy all confidence the young players created.

I bet we won't see ozil again either

Gooner Sod 30 October, 2019 21:41
It wasn't the worst night tbh. I wouldn't see this as a reason to sack Emery, although i want him gone.

I love watching our youngsters and was entertained. But our defense wasn't youngsters so should have seen that out. Its clear Emery has no clue on how to create a defensively solid team.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

BootyDaddy 30 October, 2019 21:42
At what point do the board say to Dracula we got rid of the last senile manager because he lost the plot and couldn’t coach the team to defend to save his life .... and you have made absolutely no improvement on that whatsoever.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo 30 October, 2019 21:42
It's another example of him failing to manage a game.

mapleleafgooner 30 October, 2019 22:51
Not difficult to create a solid defensive team. Emery needs to swallow his pride and bring in Keown as the defensive coach for the rest of this season and give him free rein to coach our defenders and midfielders.

Shane 30 October, 2019 23:53
I do wonder about Keown. I know everybody credits him with helping the defence during our run to the Champions League final but why is he still only a pundit 13 years later?

Padre Pio 31 October, 2019 00:43
Because Wenger didn’t want him at the club

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Padre Pio 31 October, 2019 00:45
Because Wenger didn’t want him at the club

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

CazOnARola 31 October, 2019 01:23
I think Shane s point is he hasn't landed a job in football anywhere else.

We parked the bus at the bernabeu when Henry scored that great goal.

The clean sheets were probably because for the first time in his life wenger wasn't focused on trying to play a certain way but just being solid and eeking out results.

It was park the bus football by his standards with players not as great as his invincibles but still way better than the current lot for their era.

We may easily be over stating Keown s contributions, just like our expectations from bould who was a fantastic defender, but can't say he added much to arsenal as an assistant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2019 08:51 by CazOnARola.

hahanice 31 October, 2019 04:12
a few thoughts on tonight...

Honestly expected us to get destroyed so This was actually not a terrible result. Just means less time for some of our youngsters.

I still like holding, but that was bad. Bellerin isnt going to be our savior like some thing he will.

Martinez was shocking. saved 0/6 penalties, and should have saved 2 of their goals and maybe i would want a good keeper to save 3. seriously poor.

AJ The Gunner 31 October, 2019 05:19
What has characterized Emery's coaching since signing for Arsenal is the inability to read games, being over pragmatic and being a coward. In games he needs substitutions to drive the attack, he makes defensive changes. When he needs to defend, he makes changes that will leave the team wide open.

If the Kroenke's doesn't think now is the time to get rid of this man, then they should get ready to loose what's left of the good players we have at the end of the season when we fail to make CL. Surely Emery will eventually hurt the Arsenal brand which is only a cash cow for them. 🙄😒😔

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

litmus 31 October, 2019 07:34
Isn't Emery on a 2+1 year contract? If we can get some decent additions in midfeild and defense we may yet still make the top 4, then tell Emery to FO at the end of this season, and bring in someone else, someone the players would rally behind and fight for. It ain't Emery that's for sure.

mapleleafgooner 31 October, 2019 15:07
Quote:
Shane
I do wonder about Keown. I know everybody credits him with helping the defence during our run to the Champions League final but why is he still only a pundit 13 years later?

Maybe he does not want to be a coach but he is more than willing to help his beloved Arsenal. The status quo with leaking goals is not acceptable. Emery must have tried different things but clearly it is not working. Give Keown a try. Hw must have learned many defensive drills after all the years he trained under Graham.

CazOnARola 31 October, 2019 16:24
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Shane

Maybe he does not want to be a coach but he is more than willing to help his beloved Arsenal. The status quo with leaking goals is not acceptable. Emery must have tried different things but clearly it is not working. Give Keown a try. Hw must have learned many defensive drills after all the years he trained under Graham.
The game has changed a lot right now. English league is still physical but you can't hack players down like the old days.

Henry and bergkamp would still be great players today because if they were born in this era, they would have adapted to the requirements from a young age. But if you pluck them out of time, they would be a complete liability as they wouldn't offer anything defensively.

Henry hardly pressed much, saved all his energy for our forward play and fans cheered whenever he chased the defenders for those 5 min periods. I'm not picking on him, just stating that the game has changed a lot.

We need someone closer to the modem game. Klopp has a fantastic backroom staff. We need his backroom staff or the likes. And our first team defense isn't as bad, it's the midfield that causes all these pbms.

Also players are probably not responding to emery this season. Last season we leaked goals due to bad individual errors like mustafi on the first goal. This year the team work ethic seems to have taken a hit.

Losing monreal, kos, bellerin, iwobi hasn't helped. They all played a big part in defending. Iwobi especially would be comparable to Martinelli in his defensive work rate

SuperRob 31 October, 2019 19:52
Defending isn't hard to coach if all you care about is defending and you approach every game with the Burnley mentality of "we'll be happy with 0-0 and hopefully we nick a goal from a set piece".

But top players won't be happy with that approach. They want to impose themselves on the games. They want to control the game. Get forward and score.

Coaching a team to defend when half the players in it only want to attack is far from easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net