Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

This team
Discussion started by De Times , 21 October, 2019 20:57
This team
De Times 21 October, 2019 20:57
There is absolutely nothing good about this team. They don't know how to defend, don't know how to attack, and don't know how to keep the ball. This team knows nothing, and the coach also does not know the first thing about football, which is player selection. I have never seen a more pathetic Arsenal side in my entire 22 years of supporting this club. This is by far the most expensive squad in the history of the club yet also the most woeful of them.

Nowadays, I don't watcy the team because there is any player worth watching in the team (the coach has done a fine job of making the decent ones play like donkeys), I watch the team because I want to see the stadium, the atmosphere, the beautiful jersey and maintain a sense of support for something, while playing my Dream League soccer tearing into teams 14-0 with my own version of Arsenal. I don't know how long I can keep this up but then, there was a club with a very passionate global support base and that club is now a shadow of itself.

The club should bring back Wenger for the remainder of the season while looking for a more competent coach to take over next season. This Emery guy is a big mistake.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

Re: This team
SuperRob 21 October, 2019 21:05
(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

It only took you two posts on suggest bringing him back.

Because nights like this never happened under Wenger, right?

[www.youtube.com]

kreddie16 21 October, 2019 21:05
Quote:
De Times
The club should bring back Wenger for the remainder of the season while looking for a more competent coach to take over next season.

Bring back the man that put us in this situation?

Merlion96 21 October, 2019 21:25
… is full of potential with a dumbfcuk of a manager snatching rubbish from the Jaws of Victory.

'We can strive to act as best as we can, but we can never completely control the outcome. … … but if we make our goal simply doing the best we can, then nothing can get in our way' Stoicism

Shane 21 October, 2019 21:30
Quote:
kunai16

What situation?

De Times 21 October, 2019 21:35
Quote:
kunai16
Quote:
De Times
The club should bring back Wenger for the remainder of the season while looking for a more competent coach to take over next season.

Yeah, Wenger is responsible for the loss tonight.... Fecking Sheffield United! I can't believe the game and result tonight. Even a coachless team from the past would tear into this Sheffield tram but what do I know, Wenger caused it, isn't it? What a pathetic excuse.

Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

SuperRob 21 October, 2019 21:36
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
kunai16

What situation?

The one where we had to overhaul our entire squad and management structure, get rid of overpaid underperforming deadwood on ridiculously high wages and do it all on a Europa league budget.

De Times 21 October, 2019 21:49
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
kunai16

What situation?

The one where we had to overhaul our entire squad and management structure, get rid of overpaid underperforming deadwood on ridiculously high wages and do it all on a Europa league budget.
So you're happy to watch the new players in the squad? They all look like midtable players at best, even the most expensive of them. If there is any hope of finishing top four this season it will still be the players from the past who are still in the squad who will make that possible. What's the point of not featuring Ozil for Willock and Saka and all the other kids who don't know exactly what they're doing? Like I said before, you destroy young players like that.

Lacazette and Ozil should've started this match. You don't win matches in the Premier League consistently with so many kids and unknown quantities. So it is not enough to change some players, the real question is who do you replace them with?

Shane 21 October, 2019 21:51
Quote:
SuperRob

That's the key word there Rob, had. That isn't the situation now, so what situation is Wenger responsible for that led Arsenal to defeat at Sheffield United tonight?

SuperRob 21 October, 2019 22:01
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
kunai16

What situation?

So you're happy to watch the new players in the squad? They all look like midtable players at best, even the most expensive of them. If there is any hope of finishing top four this season it will still be the players from the past who are still in the squad who will make that possible. What's the point of not featuring Ozil for Willock and Saka and all the other kids who don't know exactly what they're doing? Like I said before, you destroy young players like that.

Lacazette and Ozil should've started this match. You don't win matches in the Premier League consistently with so many kids and unknown quantities. So it is not enough to change some players, the real question is who do you replace them with?

Lacazette is obviously not match fit. Ozil is anonymous every time he plays against any teams that are a higher standard than the belgian league. He'll do well to move to the MLS this January, it will suit him down to the ground. He can prance around in a league where no one puts any pressure on him, get paid a fortune and be the best player on the pitch every week without having any responsibility to perform well under pressure.

The new players like Willock, Guendouzi, Saka, Pepe, Ceballos, Tierney and Martinelli are obviously the future and I want to see them play but I accept that because they are new and young that they will be inconsistent, they will have good days and bad days and that is all part of the learning curve.

Our main problem is still that we're trying desperately to replace all the dross that Wenger left us with, which was always going to take time in the transfer market, and time for the players to settle in a gel together and start playing well as a team.

SuperRob 21 October, 2019 22:16
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SuperRob

That's the key word there Rob, had. That isn't the situation now, so what situation is Wenger responsible for that led Arsenal to defeat at Sheffield United tonight?

Ok so I worded it badly. It is the situation now. "The one where we are having to" would have been better. If you think the process is finished and we are through the transition phase already, then I think you've underestimated how difficult a job it is and how long it will take. That would have been the case regardless of who was in charge, even if it was Wenger.

How many of today's squad played in Wenger's last season? Xhaka, Auba, Kolasinac, Lacazette. You think it's easy to change 80% of the squad in 18 months and it will immediately click and everyone will perform at their peak straight away and there won't be any mistakes in recruiting players and everyone you sign will get on with everyone else and the dynamic in the dressing room will be perfect and all the players will have great chemistry and all the rest of the stuff that makes a great team but is so hard to quantify?

All the evidence suggests that chopping and changing managers is the worst way to improve during the transition.

kreddie16 21 October, 2019 22:36
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
kunai16

What situation?

I stop blaming Wenger when Xhaka doesn't start for us. Our most senior and expensive CM.
I could nitpick by saying we should have sold Sanchez to city or 60mil. SoldOzil. Sold Ramsey. Bought another RB and not relied on Bellerin. Bought Kante. Not given kolasinac a contract. Made us a Europa league team. Not left when Klopp and Pep was available.

Let's not act like this club doesn't have to penny pinch because of bad deals he was here for.

weedz 22 October, 2019 00:23
Forget about blaming Wenger for our loss tonight. His history with us is just that.
He was not at fault, it was Emery, so blaming Wenger is deflecting where the blame lies.
Our MF was rubbish tonight, just as it has been most of the season.
Theres no MFer in our squad who can boss the centre of the park, either on breaking up, defending or servicing the good forward line weve got.
like i said in another post, our young ones where out of their depth tonight and it showed up the negetives of fielding a youthful MF.

Shane 22 October, 2019 02:25
Quote:
SuperRob
If you think the process is finished and we are through the transition phase already, then I think you've underestimated how difficult a job it is and how long it will take

You think it's easy to change 80% of the squad in 18 months and it will immediately click and everyone will perform at their peak straight away and there won't be any mistakes in recruiting players and everyone you sign will get on with everyone else and the dynamic in the dressing room will be perfect and all the players will have great chemistry and all the rest of the stuff that makes a great team but is so hard to quantify? .

Listen, you're preaching the choir here mate. I'm well aware of how difficult transitional periods can be, and so should every Arsenal fan and that's because Wenger negotiated several quite successfully.

What have this mob gone through, around £200 million in 14 months? Alright well Wenger was spending around 10 percent of that figure each summer, on replacing players when richer clubs capitalised on our financial footing and began treating Arsenal like meat on a kebab spinner, carving pieces from us. Plus, what we were spending in one summer, our rivals were spending on one player.

All he did until 2013 was build and rebuild over and over again. He'd design, build, strengthen and then the foundations would be ripped out. Remember the very good and very promising Arsenal team that beat Barcelona in 2011? By August of the following year, five of that first XI had gone - Van Persie, Nasri, Song, Cesc and Clichy.

Listen, I'm well aware Wenger probably p*ssed them off by not signing another defender when he had the chance, and that's why they left, but the simple fact we were so stupidly close to winning Premier League titles despite colossal handicaps - real handicaps, not Silvestre - is a reminder that although hard, transitional phases can be overcome, especially when there's three or four of you. Wenger was on his own in the sense that it was his arrse if it failed. He couldn't blame a sh*t signing or a sh*t result on anybody.

MattySadler 22 October, 2019 06:34
If anyone else on this forum suggested bringing Wenger back, obviously I would disagree but I'd at least take them seriously.

Wenger is finished at the top level and Emery is finished at this club.

CazOnARola 22 October, 2019 09:19
Arsene had obviously lost his touch by the Leicester season. He did maximize the spending upto 2011 though. We would not be good enough to beat the big teams, but we would beat the teams in the lower half.

I understand that the epl has grown in standard (altho the quality of football in epl is debatable, its more intense than technically playing to watch) but we also have decent players available to beat the likes of Bournemouth and sheffield.
At least we don't have eboue playing right wing and senderos in Central defense.

Let's wait till Dec. Let's see what Unai and his team can do to arrest the slide.

Flava 22 October, 2019 15:37
Quote:
De Times
There is absolutely nothing good about this team. They don't know how to defend, don't know how to attack, and don't know how to keep the ball. This team knows nothing, and the coach also does not know the first thing about football, which is player selection. I have never seen a more pathetic Arsenal side in my entire 22 years of supporting this club. This is by far the most expensive squad in the history of the club yet also the most woeful of them.
Nowadays, I don't watcy the team because there is any player worth watching in the team (the coach has done a fine job of making the decent ones play like donkeys), I watch the team because I want to see the stadium, the atmosphere, the beautiful jersey and maintain a sense of support for something, while playing my Dream League soccer tearing into teams 14-0 with my own version of Arsenal. I don't know how long I can keep this up but then, there was a club with a very passionate global support base and that club is now a shadow of itself.

The club should bring back Wenger for the remainder of the season while looking for a more competent coach to take over next season. This Emery guy is a big mistake.

Outstanding trolling saying you think Wenger should be brought back for the rest of the season. You've given Emery 16 months but you were happy with the last 7 years of tripe from Wenger with the team getting poorer every year.

It was hard enough to get rid of Wenger last time, we don't want to go through that again.

Shane 22 October, 2019 15:47
Quote:
CazOnARola
He did maximize the spending upto 2011 though. We would not be good enough to beat the big teams, but we would beat the teams in the lower half.

The opposite is true. We did beat the big teams. During the first year at the Emirates, we did the double over United, beat Liverpool 3-0 at home and drew home and away against Chelsea. That was the big four at the time, but we also lost to Fulham, Bolton, West Ham and Sheffield United.

The following season, 2007-08, we lost three times all season, and two of those defeats were in the last two months. And we knocked AC Milan, the holders, out of the Champions League. Kaka, Inzaghi, Nesta, Pirlo and Gattuso played in that tie, undone by Fabregas, Adebayor, Walcott, Flamini and Senderos.

Frankly, I don't care what challenges face Emery, Raul and Edu. The reality is that this period is nowhere near as challenging for Arsenal as it was for Wenger after we left Highbury and had to replace The Invincibles with a fraction of what our rivals were spending at the time.

If he had won the Premier League title in 2008, it would've been blown the 49-game run out of the water entirely as far as achievement goes, and he was only four points away from doing it. He might've even done it if not for the Eduardo injury.

The bloke was a different breed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2019 15:49 by Shane.

Shane 22 October, 2019 15:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2019 15:49 by Shane.

CazOnARola 22 October, 2019 16:45
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
CazOnARola
He did maximize the spending upto 2011 though. We would not be good enough to beat the big teams, but we would beat the teams in the lower half.

The opposite is true. We did beat the big teams. During the first year at the Emirates, we did the double over United, beat Liverpool 3-0 at home and drew home and away against Chelsea. That was the big four at the time, but we also lost to Fulham, Bolton, West Ham and Sheffield United.

The following season, 2007-08, we lost three times all season, and two of those defeats were in the last two months. And we knocked AC Milan, the holders, out of the Champions League. Kaka, Inzaghi, Nesta, Pirlo and Gattuso played in that tie, undone by Fabregas, Adebayor, Walcott, Flamini and Senderos.

Frankly, I don't care what challenges face Emery, Raul and Edu. The reality is that this period is nowhere near as challenging for Arsenal as it was for Wenger after we left Highbury and had to replace The Invincibles with a fraction of what our rivals were spending at the time.

If he had won the Premier League title in 2008, it would've been blown the 49-game run out of the water entirely as far as achievement goes, and he was only four points away from doing it. He might've even done it if not for the Eduardo injury.

The bloke was a different breed.
We pretty much used to smash liverpool till the suarez sturridgr era. But our record against Chelsea and United in important games wasnt great. I was referring to 2008-2011 era when inspite of losing players we still manage to beat the teams we should beat.

Our squad quality got worse every year after Cesc left uptill we signed ozil, and splashed big during the sanchez years.

Arsene was past it else we would have won when Leicester won the league.

There is no excuse since emery gave xhaka the new contract after wenger left. If everyone thinks it's just xhaka s presence that's holding us back, look at your the options preformed against sheffield.

Id still give emery till the end of the season but he seems to be losing the dressing room s trust

Willy 22 October, 2019 19:56
What are the signs that he is losing the dressing room?

Shane 22 October, 2019 20:10
Quote:
CazOnARola

I don't disagree that he was passed it. Point is, Wenger had far more challenging transitions to oversee once upon a time and he oversaw them extremely well and fairly quickly in the scheme of things.

Eighteen months into the Emirates era we were genuinely a stunning football team, assembled from an assortment of bargains because that was necessary. Eighteen months into this era and Arsenal, under Emery, still don't have that much identity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2019 20:11 by Shane.

Merlion96 22 October, 2019 21:15
Arsenal could have moved back to within a point of Manchester City in the Premier League table with a win against Sheffield United on Monday night. Instead, they remain outside the top four places in fifth-place after Lys Mousset’s first-half goal – only his fifth in 64 Premier League games – handed Chris Wilder’s Blades a richly deserved victory.

The traditional top-six teams don’t usually falter against newly-promoted opponents yet the end result at a boisterous Bramall Lane was far from a shock result, considering Arsenal’s long-standing troubles on their travels. S

heffield United have made a strong start to their first Premier League campaign in 12 years, but regardless it was a defeat that raised further questions over the direction in which Arsenal are travelling (or should that be meandering) in under Unai Emery.

Speaking on Monday Night Football, Jamie Carragher went as far as to suggest that the Gunners are moving backwards under their Spanish tactician, saying: ‘I don’t see anything different from when Arsene Wenger was there at the end. I don’t see it. ‘In fact, at times it actually looks worse.

I think Sheffield United played better football in the first half than Arsenal and I don’t think you would have seen that under Wenger.’

Certain statistics to have emerged in the aftermath of Sheffield United’s win seem to back up Carragher’s assertions… Wretched away form Arsenal’s unconvincing away form has been a major issue for a while and their travel sickness was the main reason for last season’s top-four failure.

Despite having the third-best home record in the Premier League, seven teams bettered Arsenal’s away efforts in 2018-19.

The Gunners claimed 20 more points at the Emirates than they did elsewhere last season and a similar pattern is already emerging this campaign.

Arsenal have won three and drawn one of their four homes games, but won only one of their five away matches.

Including the final five games of last season, Arsenal have been beaten in half of their last ten away matches, taking 11 points from a possible 30. Should such form continue the club’s long-awaited return to the Champions League may be prolonged further.

Dwindling goal threat Although David Luiz’s recent winner against Bournemouth proved to be the exception to the rule, generally speaking Arsenal only tend to win in the Premier League this season if Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been on the scoresheet.

Aubameyang has scored seven of Arsenal’s 13 league goals this season, accounting for 54 per cent of their overall total. Only Norwich City are more reliant on their leading marksman with Teemu Pukki’s six goals making up 60 per cent of their ten.

Arsenal’s over-reliance on Aubameyang is a major issue considering their lack of goals from elsewhere. At this stage last season, Arsenal had scored 22 times – nine more than their current tally – with ten different scorers compared to only six this term.

In recent years, Arsenal’s glaring weakness has been at the back, but at present even their attack isn’t functioning particularly effectively.

Set-piece vulnerability Sheffield United have stuck two fingers up at a number of lazy pundits who reduced their style of football to that of the hit-and-hope variety with Wilder’s side popping the ball about nicely in midfield and creating a decent number of chances.

However, it is very on-brand of Arsenal to lose to a battling team expected to be in the lower reaches of the table this season via a set-piece goal with Mousset seizing upon a Jack O’Connell knockdown to scramble in a first-half winner.

22 - Arsenal have conceded 22 Premier League goals from set-pieces since the start of last season; only Watford (25) and Everton (24) have conceded more. Weakness.

Mousset’s strike condemned Arsenal to their 22nd conceded goal from a set-piece since the start of last season, a total only worsened by Watford (25) who have one clean sheet since February and Everton (24) whose zonal-marking led shortcomings under Marco Silva have been well-documented. Arsenal used to routinely struggle against the Bolton’s and Stoke’s of this world and as of yet, Emery has been unable to rectify what has been a prevailing problem for a number of seasons. Surprising shot statistics A criticism levelled at Emery and his team recently is that Arsenal rarely seem to be in control of a match, with their opponents routinely enjoying promising spells of pressure. That his highlighted by the fact that Arsenal have conceded on average 16 shots per game – a total that only two of the three promoted clubs (Aston Villa and Norwich City) can beat.

In contrast, Arsenal have fired off just 13 attempts per game which has them eighth in the division behind the likes of Villa, Southampton, Everton and winless Watford.

Arsenal aren’t shooting enough and are letting their opponents have far too many. This is hardly a new phenomenon, though, as since Emery was appointed, Arsenal have conceded 13.7 shots per game and attempted 12.4.

That a top-six side frequently has fewer shooting opportunities than their opponents is pretty concerning.

Clean sheet woes

When Emery took charge of Arsenal, they were already vulnerable at the back and while that is worth remembering, he has clearly been unable to instigate much, if any improvement in their defensive performances.

Arsenal have kept as many clean sheets away from home in the Premier League (2) as Sheffield United since Unai Emery replaced Arsène Wenger.

Sheffield United have played four games.

A rather damning stat that demonstrates this, is that Arsenal have as many clean sheets away from home (two) as Sheffield United do in 19 more matches. If Wilder can, with all due respect to Sheffield United’s players, make an inferior team difficult to score against, then why can’t Emery with Arsenal’s squad?

Read more: [metro.co.uk]
Twitter: [twitter.com] | Facebook: [www.facebook.com]

'We can strive to act as best as we can, but we can never completely control the outcome. … … but if we make our goal simply doing the best we can, then nothing can get in our way' Stoicism

CazOnARola 23 October, 2019 02:56
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
CazOnARola

I don't disagree that he was passed it. Point is, Wenger had far more challenging transitions to oversee once upon a time and he oversaw them extremely well and fairly quickly in the scheme of things.

Eighteen months into the Emirates era we were genuinely a stunning football team, assembled from an assortment of bargains because that was necessary. Eighteen months into this era and Arsenal, under Emery, still don't have that much identity.

Emery is no where near the manager went was pre FA cup win courtesy Ramsey's late winner.

But u will argue that Wilfried zaha wasnt worth 75 mn then.
Wenger waa contending with Chelsea city United pool.
Spurs were still not spending then only the above teams were and the rest of the league was no where near.

We could keep possession and tire teams who would cave in by the 77 min. Gallas scored many of those goals. Physically there is hardly in difference in the league and championship now. Only difference is quality of players but that is also not as large as it used to be.

People still wanted to come to arsenal. Players like Nasri wouldn't come here unless we offer a lot more than standard wages.

The challenges are different and not comparable.

Also wenger inherited a decent team and his ideas for his time were so revolutionary that he got instant success.

This gave him more time during transition and players still respected him enough to come to arsenal.

By the time he has left, we know longer command the same respect that we did uptill 2010-2011.

Emery doesn't have a legacy that wenger had in 2004-2009, so id raul and co. have done a better job of finding players. One however cannot include Everton buying or players for 35mn. Previously we would sell to clubs bigger than ours because smaller clubs couldn't really afford arsenal players. Now many of them can.

The buck stops with emery, he gave xhaka the extension.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net