Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Martinelli or Saka
Discussion started by Gunnersingh1 , 03 October, 2019 22:18
Martinelli or Saka
Gunnersingh1 03 October, 2019 22:18
I like Saka but after his performance tonight I'd start Martinelli on Sunday.

Who wouod you like to start on Sunday on the left?

Re: Martinelli or Saka
Flava 03 October, 2019 22:23
I’m all in on Saka, he’s magic so I’d start him.

Martinelli absolutely looks the part though. They’re both ballers. He’s not even a striker is he? Sublime finishes

MickTheMan aka grayfox 03 October, 2019 22:40
Both. One on the Left. Other on the right. Rest Pepe.

Gooner Sod 03 October, 2019 22:55
Quote:
grayfox1

Can you imagine how much flak Emery will catch if he did that and we lost without scoring? He ain't gonna do it.

Resting Pepe is not smart, we paid 72m, you have to allow him the opportunity to hit form.

Merlion96 03 October, 2019 23:11
Saka makes left-wing his now.

Martinelli is more like an inside left-forward and offers more attacking option than Saka.

Since Martinelli is tight-footed, in the absence of Lacazette, might as well field Saka-Aubameyang-Martinelli in a 4-3-3 against Bournemouth.

Martinelli and Saka, both of them, offers quickness and willing to track back better than AMN and Pepe.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

SuperRob 03 October, 2019 23:25
Play saka on Sunday. But martinelli was fantastic. The thing I love most is that everything he does is with maximum intensity. Reminded me of Luis suarez a lot in that respect.

He was utterly exhausted at the end of the game which is no surprise considering the amount of work he put in.

Big big young talents coming through this year.

Ares 04 October, 2019 03:17
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
grayfox1

Can you imagine how much flak Emery will catch if he did that and we lost without scoring? He ain't gonna do it.

Resting Pepe is not smart, we paid 72m, you have to allow him the opportunity to hit form.

He can do that in the Under 21 Team

We're allowed a few over age players

We ought to use it more often

Other teams do

MattySadler 04 October, 2019 06:45
Saka he hasn't looked out of place at all playing with the "first team", even at Old Trafford, but it's good now we know Martinelli can also do bits for us anywhere across the front three.

Discovered a nice little gem like Guendouzi last season.

Willy 04 October, 2019 11:16
Martinelli's pressing reminded me of Sanchez. The sharpness as well. Only rubbish opposition so far though, Saka's had an impact against (somewhat) better teams. Great that they both work defensively, which will also lead to more minutes in big games from Emery. That's an advantage they both seem to have over Nelson and Pepe.

Kalela 04 October, 2019 17:04
Quote:
grayfox1

This. Both are talented youth players with a lot to offer. Make Pepe earn his spot on the team. He has not shown anything to make you believe he deserves to start in any game. The fact that he never bothers to track and defend is why Pepe should be benched. So far he is more another Ozil than anything else.

AJ The Gunner 05 October, 2019 11:46
frankly both deserve a spot in the first 11.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Gunnersingh1 06 October, 2019 11:00
Dropping Pepe now could do more damage for him than good. He's hardly had any home games so hopefully he can start performing today.

CazOnARola 06 October, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Dropping Pepe now could do more damage for him than good. He's hardly had any home games so hopefully he can start performing today.
Martinelli played almost 90 min. Saka starts. Easy choice

Padre Pio 06 October, 2019 11:52
[quote CazOnARola][quote Gunnersingh1]Dropping Pepe now could do more damage for him than good. He's hardly had any home games so hopefully he can start performing today.[/quote]

Agree on Pepe he is on a different trajectory to Ozil, his Arsenal Career is just starting out.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SuperRob 06 October, 2019 12:16
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Agreed. He really needs to up his work rate though. If he works hard but doesn't create anything or score, I'd be happy.

CazOnARola 06 October, 2019 12:24
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Agreed. He really needs to up his work rate though. If he works hard but doesn't create anything or score, I'd be happy.
I think for average teams, the work rate importance is over rated.. Mahrez s work rate at Leicester was not too different from ozil or pepe. He's still probably not the most hard working city player, but city are at such a level that a lower work rate is probably a differentiating factor in getting into the starting 11.

We are an average team, if we are setup properly, we can cover for Pepe's defensive frailties. His first job is to keep it simple and keep the game moving. He makes some of the best runs through the middle, if he leaves the creativity to others till he is more confident.

He needs to keep it simple for sometime.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net