Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Liege
Discussion started by MattySadler , 03 October, 2019 22:05
Player Ratings vs. Liege
MattySadler 03 October, 2019 22:05
Martinez - 6. Didn't have much to do but didn't always look comfortable dealing with crosses in the first half.

Bellerin - 6. Okay as he completed his first full 90.
Mustafi - 6. Okay without really being tested.
Holding - 6. Ditto. Just what he needed on his return from injury.
Tierney - 8. Set up the opener with a great cross. Delivery was excellent throughout and he looked sharp. Has to be pushing for a league start.

Torreira - 6. Nothing spectacular but felt he looked more comfortable as our deepest midfielder, although he seemed to be pushing forward more again when Guendouzi came on
Ceballos - 7. Okay. Scored his first goal. Does he ever stop spinning around? Must be going dizzy.

Maitland-Niles - 5. Only negative tonight. Very careless in one of his two "best positions". He's in trouble.
Willock - 8. Great finish and continued making his now trademark powerful runs. Such a unique talent he has to start.
Nelson - 8. Much better. Lively, got to the byline, linked well with Tierney. More like this please.

Martinelli - 9. Scored two, made one and had a few decent chances to complete his hat trick. Very exciting talent.

Subs:

Pepe - 5. Wanted to have an impact but wasn't really able to.
Guendouzi - 5. Didn't really get into the game.
Aubameyang - N/A. Not on long.

A very satisfying evening where we scored four, could've had a lot more, kept a clean sheet and played exciting, attacking football as a number of youngsters and important first team players returning from injury starred.

Mentioned in pre-season about Martinelli's CR7-ish hunger for goals. Great to see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 09:44 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Liege
Merlion96 03 October, 2019 22:10
Mustafi's hattrick of clean-sheets! (Sm128)

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Padre Pio 03 October, 2019 22:55
I think we are looking at the future of the Arsenal defence, apart from Mustafi

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Willy 03 October, 2019 22:59
Quote:
Padre Pio

Martinez over Leno? Or you don't mean GK?

Merlion96 03 October, 2019 23:08
Quote:
Padre Pio

It is synergy.

Mustafi played better with Holding or Chambers.

It is the "Big-Little" combination like Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure.

"Sol Campbell" = Holding, Chambers, Saliba
"Kolo Toure" = now, is there a quick and lightning-fast CB in our youth rank?

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Padre Pio 03 October, 2019 23:30
I mean outfield defence

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Ichigo 04 October, 2019 08:17
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
Padre Pio

It is synergy.

Mustafi played better with Holding or Chambers.

It is the "Big-Little" combination like Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure.

"Sol Campbell" = Holding, Chambers, Saliba
"Kolo Toure" = now, is there a quick and lightning-fast CB in our youth rank?

I totally agree. When will our “dumb f*ck of a manager” (to quote Merl) realise this and drop one of Luiz or Sokratis? My personal preference will be to drop Luiz as he has these periods of lapses of concentration and can’t keep a straight head for 90 mins much like Maitland Niles.

Pepe needs to be dropped as well. Bench him and let him work hard to earn his spot. If he can do it with Ozil why not with rest.

younghansolo 04 October, 2019 16:10
I thought Bellerin was pretty poor as well as Niles. Obviously have to give him the benefit of the doubt coming back from injury, but it showed me that he isn't ready for the league just yet. He needs a lot more game time.

Towards the end in particular he gave the ball away a lot.
However, I thought he did behave like a captain on the pitch, really supported his team mates and showed his classy personality.

There's a lot to like about our squad personality at the moment. Lot's of likeable lads who genuinely seem to like playing together.

Gunnersingh1 04 October, 2019 22:30
We need to give Bellerin, Tireney and Holding more Euopa league games and the game at Anfield before putting them in league games. It's like a pre season for them 3.

Chambers is betyer tham AMM. Until Bellerin is 100 percent i want him to start at RB

MattySadler 05 October, 2019 08:14
You had them in your starting team for United the other day?

SuperRob 05 October, 2019 10:02
Think holding and Tierney will be ready to start in the league against Sheffield utd. Bellerin maybe needs a bit longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 10:03 by SuperRob.

mapleleafgooner 05 October, 2019 23:33
Quote:
Padre Pio

Been saying for a while now that Holding is the answer to our CD issues though some of u here disagreed with me. Holding should be the starting CD partnering with either Sokratis or Mustafi or Chambers (my preference). David Luis was an unnecessary purchase but now that we have him, he needs to play in CM and not defence.

Padre Pio 06 October, 2019 09:53
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Padre Pio

Been saying for a while now that Holding is the answer to our CD issues though some of u here disagreed with me. Holding should be the starting CD partnering with either Sokratis or Mustafi or Chambers (my preference). David Luis was an unnecessary purchase but now that we have him, he needs to play in CM and not defence.
You are not alone, I argued that the loss of Holding was the major reason for Arsenal losing form in last third of last season, I hope when he returns he gets his form back

Gunnersingh1 06 October, 2019 10:49
Quote:
MattySadler

I know but in hindsight it would be silly to rush them with such a long season ahead. I don't think all 3 are ready at the moment.

Padre Pio 06 October, 2019 11:49
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
MattySadler

I know but in hindsight it would be silly to rush them with such a long season ahead. I don't think all 3 are ready at the moment.

You could see that Bellerin hasnt got much pace or breath in his last outing, Tierney looks further ahead, possible Holding is closest.
Meanwhile our best CB is on a years loan

MickTheMan aka grayfox 06 October, 2019 17:59
cmon Padre Saliba could well be another Cygan for what we know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net