Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. United
Discussion started by MattySadler , 30 September, 2019 22:11
Player Ratings vs. United
MattySadler 30 September, 2019 22:11
Leno - 7. Made some good saves, particularly that Rashford free kick late on.

Chambers - 6. I was worried when he was booked early on but thought he was fine, although he clearly didn't fancy James running at him late on.
Sokratis - 6. Better from him, particularly in the first half.
Luiz - 7. Dealt with everything.
Kolasinac - 6. Better defensive effort this evening.

Guendouzi - 7. I think he's brilliant. He may not always get it right but he never hides and always looks to drive us forward. Great engine. More to come.
Xhaka - 4. Goes missing when it gets a bit frantic or the pace picks up.
Torreira - 5. Just not sure what he's meant to be doing. For now at least he just doesn't have the tools to play further forward.

Pepe - 4. Involved but his decision making is way, way off, which to me could be a sign of low confidence.
Aubameyang - 7. Worked the channels as he had no service, but finished well.
Saka - 8. What a talent. Presses, works hard, beats players and uses the ball well. Perfect pass for our equaliser. Has to stay in the team.

Subs:

Ceballos - 5. So split on him.
Nelson - 4. Needs to show more quality on the ball.
Willock - 5. Should've started.

Wasn't particularly impressed with Emery's team selection, tactics or substitutions. We're worse going forward but without being noticeably better anywhere else. Our set pieces are infuriating as well.

We've had much worse trips to Old Trafford. An open game between two pretty average sides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 22:24 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. United
Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 22:20
Aubameyang,
Saka,
Leno
All good.
Rest pretty average.

Overall performance poor.
Emery is a cnut.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Gunnersingh1 30 September, 2019 22:21
Credit to Chambers who has to be 2nd chioce now ahead of AMN, once Bellerin is back. He's slow but he's a far better defender and footballer than AMN.

Saka had a good game but shouod have scored scored. It was an easy chance.

Guendouzi ie carrying our midfield on his own. Had a very good game and was our best player by a distance again

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 22:22
Guendouzi creates nothing just rants and raves.

MattySadler 30 September, 2019 22:26
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Guendouzi creates nothing just rants and raves.

That is definitely an area where he lets himself down but it will come. He's still head and shoulders above the clowns around him.

Our use of Torreira is annoying. Emery wants him to contribute in both boxes, but Willock is so much better suited to that role. Just look vs. Frankfurt where we started Willock-Xhaka-Torreira with Torreira as the more advanced. Once Willock became the one to push on we looked better.

AJ The Gunner 30 September, 2019 22:31
We couldn't beat a poor utd side??? Where was the creativity with that line up?? I'm all for dumping Ozil but you must have his like replacement.

Creativity results in goals. I don't know why Emery is finding it difficult to figure out. And that his captain, I rest my case.
As for Pepe, it's either he shapes up or he should be benched. That's if Emery has the guts to do that. Such a terrible play from him, it's almost baffling.

Why did I even stay up to watch this game?? Was I really expecting magic from Emery. Should I blame Emery??? Because I think he is a coward and to scared to handle the pressure. I am totally @#$%& because we missed our best chance to batter utd.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Willy 30 September, 2019 22:42
I'd give Chambers a 7 given how well he did whilst on a yellow for most of the game in those conditions. He takes some great touches on the ball, can cross, has a physicality that we lack and seems to have some character. I would like to see him in DM but obviously Xhaka can't be dropped.

Very useful squad player for now and alongside Holding, Saliba, Bellerin and Tierney I can actually see a decent defensive unit for years to come. They might even be good enough to cover up for Xhaka(Sm159)

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 23:06
Quote:
Willy
I'd give Chambers a 7 given how well he did whilst on a yellow for most of the game in those conditions. He takes some great touches on the ball, can cross, has a physicality that we lack and seems to have some character. I would like to see him in DM but obviously Xhaka can't be dropped.
Very useful squad player for now and alongside Holding, Saliba, Bellerin and Tierney I can actually see a decent defensive unit for years to come. They might even be good enough to cover up for Xhaka(Sm159)

Holding (Sm22)
And we have no idea what Saliba will be like.

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 23:38
Unai Emery praised Granit Xhaka for showing a "big commitment" for Arsenal against Manchester United . (Sm22)

Is Emery for real ?

Gunnersingh1 30 September, 2019 23:58
I don't rate Xhaka but I thought he was ok tonight.

CazOnARola 01 October, 2019 05:15
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
I don't rate Xhaka but I thought he was ok tonight.
Yep. Every single player was just about ok barring guendouzi and saka who were better by also faded after we scored.

I think it was just more of the pragmatism that crept in once we scored. We couldn't create anything.
But it was pragmatism probably not needed considering the difference in quality of the two squads.

A good manager would use our threats far more effectively.

MattySadler 01 October, 2019 06:12
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Unai Emery praised Granit Xhaka for showing a "big commitment" for Arsenal against Manchester United . (Sm22)
Is Emery for real ?

He meant foul commitment

MattySadler 01 October, 2019 07:42
Keep thinking about that offside call from the lino man imagine the scandal if we hadn't had VAR

SuperRob 01 October, 2019 08:35
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is Emery for real ?

What do you want him to say?

Boston Gooner 01 October, 2019 09:20
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is Emery for real ?

Be honest and tell the truth.

MattySadler 01 October, 2019 11:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFvoitXWwAQFAsD?format=jpg&name=medium

Thoughts on this -

Torreira our closest midfielder to the forwards and Xhaka and Guendouzi wanting to play in the same areas.

CazOnARola 01 October, 2019 11:42
Matty, Apart from Saka and ozil, i dont see any player in this team that has the intelligence to look at the available spaces before making a run/dodging defenders.

Ceballos and saka ended up next to each other before saka was subbed. Ceballos was the one who should have not gone in, in that instance.

So these kinds of players need specific instructions if they arent to get in each other s ways.

So either emery is not giving them or the players don't understand / too daft to implement it. Either ways it is his pbm.

If the players dont have spatial awareness and arent evrn good enough to remember instructions , then you need to build a team lookin at their natural strengths and tendencies do that they don't get in each other's ways.

Emery is failing at all of these.

SuperRob 01 October, 2019 11:56
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is Emery for real ?

Do you think that will have a positive impact on the atmosphere around the squad? And would it ultimately have a positive impact on performances?

MattySadler 01 October, 2019 13:22
Quote:
CazOnARola
Matty, Apart from Saka and ozil, i dont see any player in this team that has the intelligence to look at the available spaces before making a run/dodging defenders.
Ceballos and saka ended up next to each other before saka was subbed. Ceballos was the one who should have not gone in, in that instance.

So these kinds of players need specific instructions if they arent to get in each other s ways.

So either emery is not giving them or the players don't understand / too daft to implement it. Either ways it is his pbm.

If the players dont have spatial awareness and arent evrn good enough to remember instructions , then you need to build a team lookin at their natural strengths and tendencies do that they don't get in each other's ways.

Emery is failing at all of these.

Shame to see us getting so many fundamentals so wrong, even down to delivery of set pieces. Confidence seems low particularly among more senior players, then you see youngsters like Guendouzi, Willock and Saka who are able to play without fear.

Best thing would be to just return to basics but doesn't seem to be Emery's style...

Boston Gooner 01 October, 2019 13:25
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is Emery for real ?

Do you think that will have a positive impact on the atmosphere around the squad? And would it ultimately have a positive impact on performances?

Do you think the squad are happy by Emery saying that then ?
Basically they can be poor then and get away with it.

AJ The Gunner 01 October, 2019 15:50
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is Emery for real ?

He is a delusional fraud that thinks Xhaka will save him.

SuperRob 01 October, 2019 21:26
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Is Emery for real ?

Do you think the squad are happy by Emery saying that then ?
Basically they can be poor then and get away with it.

I'm sure they realise that press conferences are best ignored, and I'd be surprised if many of them watch the manager interviews. The players get media training as well these days, so they know the purpose of press conferences from their point of view is to keep the media happy without actually saying anything meaningful or controversial.

Who knows what he says behind closed doors. I'm sure the coaches are giving all the players constructive criticism all day every day. If they weren't, they wouldn't be doing their jobs. But it is always unproductive to make the it public.

When managers say controversial things about their players in the press, it always ends badly. Emery literally says exactly the same thing in every press conference, regardless of what he's asked or what the context is. Whatever he said about Xhaka, next week he'll say exactly the same thing about another player. Best not to bother listening.

Padre Pio 01 October, 2019 22:46
They all say same old shite apart from Maureen and that didnt exactly work did it?

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 02 October, 2019 02:39
Its a press conference for god's sake. You don't wash your dirty linen in public. You should always defend your players publicly and just be politically correct. Ppl used to take wenger pressers very seriously as well. The press reflects the club. Arsenal has always been this for more than two decade. And it's good. I don't think these things as well as your transfer targets, budget, etc need to be public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 06:58 by CazOnARola.

AJ The Gunner 02 October, 2019 06:37
Quote:
Padre Pio
They all say same old shite apart from Maureen and that didnt exactly work did it?

Maureen 😂😂😂😂 Had forgotten that's what they call him.

De Times 02 October, 2019 07:03
I can't believe people still rate this team, what exactly arw we playing? Rubbish! I can't fall asleep every single game and still bother to go anywhere for ratings.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

Padre Pio 02 October, 2019 11:20
Yes we have only drawn last two games at OT, both of which could have been won. I can understand fans longing for the good old days of 8-2 and 5-1 defeats. It was very entertaining.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 02 October, 2019 12:27
Padre spurs got beat 7-2.this united team isn't full of your wayne rooneys. Let's forget about the past or present and just judge the performance on its parent.

I thought the players played as well as they could.. We were setup to be cautious and the subs were told to be happy with the draw. Can't complain if that was an acceptable result according to their own manager.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net