Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Team vs Utd
Discussion started by Gunnersingh1 , 22 September, 2019 19:04
Team vs Utd
Gunnersingh1 22 September, 2019 19:04
Leno

Bellerin
Holding
Luiz
Tireney

Torreira
Guendouzi
Willock

Pepe
Auba
Ozil

Obviously we need to give that defence at least 60 minutes in the cup to prove their fitness. We'll never have a better chance to beat Utd away even with our defnce being so poor.

Re: Team vs Utd
Gooner Sod 22 September, 2019 19:55
We all know hes not gonna pick a defence with 3 players that haven't played in months and one that only joined in August. Let's be realistic.

Chambers will play full back and Kolisinac will continue. He may replace Xhaka but i doubt that even.

Boston Gooner 22 September, 2019 22:41
I'm not convinced he will start Ozil.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Gooner Sod 22 September, 2019 22:50
I didn't even notice that. No chance he starts Ozil when he didn't bring him on against Villa. Tbh these away games aren't for Ozil and its better to pace a natural winger. So Saka will start unles she goes with Cebellos.

Ares 23 September, 2019 00:34
Leno

couple lads at cb + a couple more alongside em

Gwen Willock Captain X

Nelson Ylang-Ylang Saka

Kalela 23 September, 2019 02:29
I don't see Emery playing Ozil. I don't see him dropping Xhaka either. I hope Emery tries Chambers in midfield in place of Xhaka at some point during the season.

Gunnersingh1 23 September, 2019 14:59
Ozil has to start. The service to our front players has been shocking.

Ceballos, Xhaka amd Torreira pass backwards too often. We need Ozil no matter people on here think of him!

MattySadler 23 September, 2019 16:25
Fortunately I don't think the opinions of people on here really factors into Emery's selection process.

Torreira, Guendouzi, Willock is absolutely the midfield we should be going for. Suits our high energy, pressing style so much better than when Xhaka is playing. I'm just not confident that Emery will drop him.

Also not sure on the readiness of Bellerin, Tierney and Holding. All three have played minimal football so far so won't be anywhere near match fit yet. I'll be interested to see how we line up tomorrow night.

Ares 23 September, 2019 17:00
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Ceballos, Xhaka amd Torreira pass backwards too often. We need Ozil no matter people on here think of him!

Before he can be named as a starter

Ozil has to actually start turning up for big games

MattySadler 24 September, 2019 08:29
Emery says he doesn't want to use players for Forest tonight who played more than 60 minutes on Sunday.

Martinez, Macey, Bellerin, Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos, Tierney, Bola, Torreira, Burton, Willock, Ozil, Smith Rowe, Saka, Nelson, Martinelli, John-Jules and Balogun all trained yesterday ahead of tonight's game so assuming that'll be the squad we use.

CazOnARola 24 September, 2019 08:38
Quote:
Ares
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Ozil has to actually start turning up for big games

You are absolutely spot on. He needs to start turning up in big games just like xhaka, Ceballos, luiz, bellerin, Sokratis, Kolasinac, AMN, Aubameyang, pepe, torreira,
Mkhi, etc have since they joined arsenal/before they left . They are the example that he should follow in big games. Oh wait....

Beggars can't be choosers Ares. Which big match players are you talking about who should be starting ahead of ozil?

I don't understand the fascination with players like willock who can't hold the ball under pressure two times in a row. Yes play the youngsters and play them in their preferred positions. But are they players that actually can consistently play our fast strikers through? For god s sake luiz is doing a better job at feeding Pepe than ceballos.
Ceballos is like denilson in his mentality. He is a recycler of possession and his best moments are deep within our half vs near the opposition box.

Pepe is defensively much worse than ozil. Why the double standards then? If we aim to park the bus which we will, fine don't start ozil. But once we are 2-0 down stop @#$%& around bringing Torreira and willock to create chances. They are CMs, not AMs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2019 08:41 by CazOnARola.

Ares 24 September, 2019 16:31
There's a reason I didn't mention:

Ozil, Mkhitaryan, Pepe or Ceballos

Ares 24 September, 2019 16:34
There are several reasons actually

Torreira can come on as a sub

If theres anyone who can provide cover for both full back positions + centre midfield / defensive midfield, it's him.

CazOnARola 24 September, 2019 19:34
Quote:
Ares
There's a reason I didn't mention:
Ozil, Mkhitaryan, Pepe or Ceballos
Yeah but AMN, Sokratis, xhaka especially, and several others have had far worse performances considering their role in the side.

I was merely pointing out that if someone is paid 350k a week and is playing like someone on 120k/w, it is still better than someone who is paid 120k/w and playing like 100k/w. Although the perceived drop in value is more than 50% for player 1 while that is 20% for player 2, player 1 is still out performing player 2.

There are several players who are playing far worse in big games compared to ozil. We can't simply be picking players like xhaka /Torreira who are not able to make any difference in the final third when we need goals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2019 03:55 by CazOnARola.

mapleleafgooner 24 September, 2019 23:15
Manure is there for the taking. We have not won at OT for a long time so time for a change.

Kalela 26 September, 2019 04:25
Arsenal should be winning this game. They have Rashford injured and have no other strikers available. They will play their teenage striker and somehow he will score a hat-trick of goals.

If I was Emery I would bench Xhaka and Torriera for this game as well. Xhaka in particular just sucks and has no business starting for Arsenal.

CazOnARola 26 September, 2019 06:24
Kalela we know that Torreira played the whole of 90 as did willock.

All this points to a midfield of xhaka, guendouzi and Ceballos.

Now lets pretend for a moment that ozil, Willock, torreira, burton <insert player u rate higher than xhaka> are injured.

If you are emery, what is your strategy to sell win this game with the personnel you have?

MattySadler 26 September, 2019 06:42
Quote:
CazOnARola
Kalela we know that Torreira played the whole of 90 as did willock.
All this points to a midfield of xhaka, guendouzi and Ceballos.

Now lets pretend for a moment that ozil, Willock, torreira, burton <insert player u rate higher than xhaka> are injured.

If you are emery, what is your strategy to sell win this game with the personnel you have?

Bloody shame if none of the ones who played 90 mins on Tuesday are deemed able to start the following Monday. Fairly certain it'll be Xhaka, Guendouzi, Ceballos as well, but wouldn't be how I'd go.

younghansolo 26 September, 2019 12:48
Leno

Amn luiz sokratis Kolosinac

Xhaka guendouzi ceballos nelson/saka
Pepe auba

Far more likely in my opinion.

CazOnARola 27 September, 2019 05:54
Quote:
younghansolo
Leno
Amn luiz sokratis Kolosinac

Xhaka guendouzi ceballos nelson/saka
Pepe auba

Far more likely in my opinion.
This is his line up and it will be saka. He was only brought on because smith rowe got injured.

What's your strategy on winning with this team?

Boston Gooner 27 September, 2019 10:28
Paul Pogba is a doubt for Manchester United's match against Arsenal.
Jones is also out.

Boston Gooner 28 September, 2019 14:10
Arsenal defender Kieran Tierney could get his first taste of Premier League football on Monday against Manchester United, after he was left out of the Gunners’ Under-23 squad to face Liverpool Saturday.

Hopefully he wasn't left out because of injury.

Trent2000 28 September, 2019 15:33
Do we really think Emery will change anything, we are only fooling ourselves?

The defense needs an overhaul and there are players to do it, as well as@#$%&Xhaka, but we know like the end of the Wenger era nothing will change.

We need a manager who can react and stand up to the players who are struggling on form.

MattySadler 28 September, 2019 17:12
Bellerin started for u23s

Padre Pio 28 September, 2019 18:23
Quote:
Trent2000
Do we really think Emery will change anything, we are only fooling ourselves?
The defense needs an overhaul and there are players to do it, as well as@#$%&Xhaka, but we know like the end of the Wenger era nothing will change.

We need a manager who can react and stand up to the players who are struggling on form.

Im pretty sure Emery will use Holding and Bellerin

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gunnersingh1 29 September, 2019 23:18
Bellerin hasn't gone to Manchester according to reports.

Padre Pio 29 September, 2019 23:46
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Bellerin hasn't gone to Manchester according to reports.

Bellerin is behind Holding, Chambers and Tierney. He only played 20 mins in Carabao Cup.
I am not saying Emery will play them immediately, but as soon as they are Match fit he will.
He will have to see how they have reacted to game time played so far. These guys have been out for a long time there are still over 30 first class games to come yet.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner 29 September, 2019 23:55
Yes it's a bit to soon for Bellerin.
Can see Tierney being involved.
And maybe Holding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2019 23:57 by Boston Gooner.

Willy 29 September, 2019 23:57
My team:

Leno
Chambers Papa Luiz Tierney
Guendouzi Torreira
Ceballos
Ozil Pepe
Auba

Unai:
Leno
Xhaka Torreira
Guendouzi
Saka Pepe
Auba

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 00:04
Quote:
Willy
My team:
Leno
Guendouzi Torreira
Ceballos
Ozil Pepe
Auba

Not the biggest fan of Ainsley Maitland-Niles but if he is fit I would play him instead of Chambers.

Considering they will be up against Daniel James – who’s lightning quick.

litmus 30 September, 2019 03:57
back four - AMN, Luiz and Sokratis, and I would love Tierney to start
Chambers won't and shouldn't play against Man U as he will be exposed for his lack of pace.

Torreira, Xhaka and Guendozi in the middle (Ceballos and Ozil are options if we are chasing the game). Lets hope it won't come to that. I believe that the key would be to score first.

Saka, Auba Pepe front 3.

This would be a good game for Pepe to justify what we paid for him. Ole won't be parking the bus. Should be a good game.

MattySadler 30 September, 2019 06:53
If any of the injured lot were rushed back and either played badly or got injured again we'd all be moaning. Remember Koscielny's rushed comeback game last season? Need to be managed correctly. Was obvious Bellerin wasn't going to be involved as soon as he didn't start on Tuesday. He played his first full 90 on Saturday and presumably will play on Thursday.

Were they both ready I'd like to go Chambers-Luiz-Holding-Tierney. Sokratis needs dropping and AMN has been awful this season. Problem is AMN and Chambers both get skinned by fast/ tricky wingers, but at least Chambers is on form and is a better defender.

Flava 30 September, 2019 13:27
I think we might see Tierney start. It's got to be Chambers, hasn't it? It's all about getting the midfield balance right and that balance involves Xhaka being dropped....which he won't be of course. Torreira and Willock have to start, We need some mobility in that midfield.

Leno

Chambers Sokratis Luiz Tierney

Guendouzi Torreira Willock

Pepe Aubameyang Saka

Flava 30 September, 2019 13:33
Don't want to see a back 3

AJ The Gunner 30 September, 2019 14:33
Not expecting anything. Not with Emery confused as ever as to what he wants the team to do.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 16:03
Mesut Ozil does not appear to have travelled to Manchester with the rest of the Arsenal squad for Monday night's meeting with United at Old Trafford.

Photographers did not spot the German departing the Arsenal coach at the team's hotel ahead of the 8pm Premier League kick-off.

Eighteen Arsenal players were photographed making their way into the hotel, with emerging youngster Bukayo Saka and the recently returned Rob Holding two of them.

Holding ruptured knee ligaments during a 2-2 draw between United and Arsenal last December and only made his comeback last week, in the 5-0 Carabao Cup reverse of Nottingham Forest.

Hector Bellerin and Kieran Tierney, two players who also made their first appearances of the season against Forest, were not sighted.

And apparently Rashford & Pogba are fit for them.

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 16:11
Ozil nothing more than Carabao Cup or Europa league player it seems.

Boston Gooner 30 September, 2019 16:14
Arsenal’s squad seen off the bus:

Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno, Emiliano Martinez

Defenders: Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Rob Holding, Sokratis, David Luiz, Callum Chambers, Sead Kolasinac

Midfielders: Lucas Torreira, Matteo Guendouzi, Granit Xhaka, Joe Willock, Dani Ceballos

Forwards: Gabriel Martinelli, Reiss Nelson, Bukayo Saka, Nicolas Pepe, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

MattySadler 30 September, 2019 16:34
Real shame about Tierney I was looking forward to seeing him again.

tigerline 30 September, 2019 17:53
And Ozil retreats into being even more of a mere afterthought ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net