Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Samuel Umtiti.
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 21 September, 2019 23:23
Samuel Umtiti.
Boston Gooner 21 September, 2019 23:23
Barcelona are looking to sell Samuel Umtiti in the January transfer window, according to reports in Spain.

Should we go for him.
Thoughts.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Samuel Umtiti.
Willy 21 September, 2019 23:54
Injury prone? Big mates with Laca. Why are Barca selling, anyone know?

Boston Gooner 22 September, 2019 00:02
Quote:
Willy
Injury prone? Big mates with Laca. Why are Barca selling, anyone know?

Marca report that whilst Barcelona don’t expect to make any major signings in January, there could be some high-profile departures. Plans are reportedly ‘already in motion’ to move several players on as Barca try to balance the books before the end of the fiscal year.

According to the claims, Barcelona will make renewed attempts to sell on Ivan Rakitic, Samuel Umtiti and Arturo Vidal. Umtiti was linked with Arsenal over the summer.

Umtiti is yet to feature for the La Liga club this season, sitting on the bench for their first three games before picking up a foot injury that will keep him out for around six weeks. It’s not exactly surprising he’s starting to be seen as surplus to requirements.

Kalela 22 September, 2019 02:36
I don't rate him. Never did. For the amount of money he will cost he is really not with it.

CazOnARola 22 September, 2019 04:36
Nope.. We already have luiz and Sokratis which will need to be moved on. Umtiti is not the kind of player u will build your defense around.. We don't even know how good saliba is.

Gunnersingh1 22 September, 2019 10:21
We need a vidic type defender to partner Saliba next season.

This team is crying out for a Keown, Adams, Campbell, Bould or a Toure. They don't make them like that now!

MattySadler 22 September, 2019 17:35
Was thinking during the summer, given his injury problems, an Umtiti loan with an option to buy might have been a good move.

litmus 23 September, 2019 02:41
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
This team is crying out for a Keown, Adams, Campbell, Bould or a Toure. They don't make them like that now!

I wouldn't put Toure in the same bracket as the others you mentioned. Toure was a good servant, and was part of the invincibles but he came good because of those he playe with . Later when the Fab 4 disbanded, our defense started to suffer as he wasn't a leader and not a dominant defender. This probably stems from the fact that he was coached mainly as a midfielder in his formative years. Toure definitely had qualities which complemented the other dominant CBs he played with, - the Adams, Keowns, Campbell but he couldn't organise the defense, wasn't an astute man-marker and was generally terrible dealing with high balls.

I would put Umtiti in this category. Too bad Wenger passed on Van Dijk when he was at Celtic. We could have gotten him for a little more than chump change then.

[www.90min.com]

I watched this guy a few times. Potential top class defender. Only problem is he is very young, while we need a leader ala Godin, Hummels and Ramos. Nevertheless, its never to early to rebuild since our defense pretty much sucks now.

mapleleafgooner 24 September, 2019 01:58
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

He is called Holding.

CazOnARola 24 September, 2019 10:38
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

He is called Holding.
Holding is no where near as quick as some of those players.

He kept backing away to Mane and other sick pacy wingers. Campbell, toure, vidic and now van dijk can hold their own against top players. Holding a bit down on recovery pace to be able to do that. I'll be surprised if he ever reaches those heights without a more physical dominant CB next to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2019 13:33 by CazOnARola.

Boston Gooner 24 September, 2019 11:00
Holding isn't even a top player.
Shows how poor we are when we need him to start.

MattySadler 24 September, 2019 18:33
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Holding isn't even a top player.
Shows how poor we are when we need him to start.

Agreed I found it funny on Twitter over the summer when many were putting Nelson and Holding in starting elevens in "would this XI make top four?"-type tweets. Very premature.

I like both players don't get me wrong, but I don't see Holding starting for any of the other "top 6" clubs, and Nelson isn't ready to start weekly for a top 6 club. At best Nelson should be Pepe's backup on the right. Don't want to see him on the left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net