Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Poll: Captain for the season
Discussion started by Willy , 04 September, 2019 16:03
Poll: Captain for the season
Willy 04 September, 2019 16:03

Who would you give the armband to?

Xhaka
Ozil
Sokratis
Aubameyang
Lacazette
David Luiz
Bellerin
Leno
Someone else
Abandon the idea of even having one

You must be logged in to vote.

17 Votes

Show results

Can't believe how poor our options are for AFC skipper this year. Emery clearly still isn't sure himself which is pretty worrying.

Re: Poll: Captain for the season
mapleleafgooner 04 September, 2019 19:36
Make Xhaka the captain. Based on recent Arsenal history, the captain invariably gets injured or loses form thereby becoming a non-playing captain or get transferred out.

Boston Gooner 04 September, 2019 19:47
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Make Xhaka the captain. Based on recent Arsenal history, the captain invariably gets injured or loses form thereby becoming a non-playing captain or get transferred out.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

CazOnARola 04 September, 2019 19:58
Xhaka is the most senior member now. And then Sokratis followed by ozil and Lacazette.

Gunnersingh1 04 September, 2019 20:03
Ozil. He's got so much talent maybe giving him the armband will wake him up and that would be huge for our season.

Despite what people think of him, Ozil is a world class footballer and I still believe he can contribute if he can get his mind right.

Flava 04 September, 2019 23:03
Bellerin for me. He gets it. The Adams, Terry, Keane captains are from days gone by

Ares 04 September, 2019 23:31
Granit Xhaka: Club Captain

Gwen & Liz: Captains of Hairspray

Bellerin: Captain Of The Part Timer Crew... Sead Kolasinac: Co Captain

Ozil: Captain Of Jogging On

Padre Pio 05 September, 2019 00:07
Quote:
Willy
Can't believe how poor our options are for AFC skipper this year. Emery clearly still isn't sure himself which is pretty worrying.

I think its symptomatic of
1. We lack true natural defenders
2. The squad still remains unbalanced (all the major quality is in the front three) Guendouzi the only excpetion but still too young to be consistent

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

BootyDaddy 05 September, 2019 10:02
David Luiz all day long.

He's skippered Brazil before and giving him the armband might just be that little bit of extra responsibility he needs to lead by example and keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio 05 September, 2019 13:11
I voted for Luiz, aware of problems with that, but at least he is determined to win

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Willy 05 September, 2019 23:10
Quite a spread of votes then really. Feel sorry for Emery

MattySadler 06 September, 2019 13:44
Agree shocking set of candidates really.

Think I'd go for Bellerin or Aubameyang.

Bellerin for Flava's reasoning, Aubameyang because I think he's looked more focused and determined this season and if he can maintain that then our chances of achieving something this season increase greatly.

Willy 06 September, 2019 22:34
Yep, I was the one voting for Auba. He talks to the media a lot and seems to take an interest in younger players like AMN. David Luiz could play himself in though

AJ The Gunner 06 September, 2019 22:37
how did we end up with this list??

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Willy 19 September, 2019 11:58
The list is pretty shocking isn't it, and can understand why Emery is still dithering. But that can't really be helping whichever unsuitable captain he is going to select.

CazOnARola 19 September, 2019 15:53
It doesn't matter. We don't have leaders on the pitch. If guendouzi was already here for 3/4 years he would have got the vote. He seems to be the only player who kind of even gestures of what is needed.. Then Sokratis. All others seem to just hide.

Right now is give it to Lacazette even though he isn't a guaranteed starter in emery s system.

litmus 20 September, 2019 04:48
Many players and coaches always believe that a captain should be a defender or midfielder rather than a goalkeeper or striker. I am a believer of this ideology. Right now, Luiz seems to me the most natural leader from the players in the squad. Although new, he is probably the only one who talks, organises, encourages his team mates and he naturally commands a certain degree of respect from his team mates for his experience at the top level and his medals.

Maybe he is not the ideal choice as he is not an ideal defender but I don't see anyone else that fits the bill right now. Deputy - Sokratis or Torreira.

Willy 20 September, 2019 14:14
I'd agree that strikers and goalies are a bit too removed from their team-mates and the heat of the battle to be effective captains. I don't think we can give it to Luiz as he's too new, in Fifa 20 his pic still shows him in a Chelsea shirt! Sokratis doesn't really seem the type. Well, I think we know it's gonna be Xhaka don't we??

CazOnARola 21 September, 2019 07:55
Quote:
Willy
I'd agree that strikers and goalies are a bit too removed from their team-mates and the heat of the battle to be effective captains. I don't think we can give it to Luiz as he's too new, in Fifa 20 his pic still shows him in a Chelsea shirt! Sokratis doesn't really seem the type. Well, I think we know it's gonna be Xhaka don't we??
Xhaka is the only option. Even if he says the wrong things.
Sokratis can still be number 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 04:38 by CazOnARola.

SuperRob 21 September, 2019 21:39
The only reason I would want Xhaka to be captain is if he then he gets dropped and becomes a non playing captain for a season then gets sold like seems to have happened to several of our captains.

Squads have a character that is defined by their leaders. With Xhaka, koscielny and ozil the leaders of this generation, the character has been weak mentality, error prone and unfocused. Luiz doesn't change that. We desperately need the next generation to take on leadership positions in the squad as soon as possible.

For that reason I would give it to Holding or bellerin and make Guendouzi and Torreira two of the other captains.

SuperRob 22 September, 2019 20:46
No way he can give the captaincy to Xhaka after the reception he got from the fans today

Kalela 23 September, 2019 02:31
He may not have the title but Guendouzi is the captain of this team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net