Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

One hell of a clear-out
Discussion started by djarse , 03 September, 2019 12:57
One hell of a clear-out
djarse 03 September, 2019 12:57
Totting up everyone shipped out this recent transfer window (please correct any errors):

SOLD (8)
Ospina, Asano, Bielik, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Thompson, Iwobi, Monreal

LEFT (11)
Cech, Lichsteiner, Ramsey, Wellbeck, Suarez, Bramall, Gilmour, Pleguezuelo, Amaechi, Musah, Nwakali

LOANS: (8)
Nketiah, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Iliev, Saliba, Osie-Tutu, Ballard, Sheaf

I know we all want Mustafi to go, and many would throw Xhaka and Ozil in for good measure too, but this was the mother of all clear-outs.

Tierney, Bellerin, Holding and Mavraponas are all coming back to the squad in the next month too.

So let's get rid of Mustafi and Ozil at least this January, and bring in one more good central defender (bearing in mind Saliba will also be with us next summer) and we will finally have a pretty good squad.

Re: One hell of a clear-out
Boston Gooner 03 September, 2019 14:46
Ozil needs to stay with our midfield.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

MattySadler 03 September, 2019 18:10
Never expected us to have such a high turnover of players in such a short space of time, given how we've tended to work in recent years...

My personal long term aim was to continue the process of lowering the wage bill and lowering the average age of the squad, but we've absolutely smashed that this summer. We've moved on some high earners and some who were earning far beyond their level of ability, and we've gone from having one of the highest average ages in the league to one of the youngest.

Exciting times. One or two smart additions in January would be great.

djarse 03 September, 2019 19:29
Quote:
MattySadler
bility, and we've gone from having one of the highest average ages in the league to one of the youngest.t.

I reckon the average of our whole first team squad including those on loan is 23.9 years

tigerline 03 September, 2019 20:09
Quote:
MattySadler
Never expected us to have such a high turnover of players in such a short space of time, given how we've tended to work in recent years...
My personal long term aim was to continue the process of lowering the wage bill and lowering the average age of the squad, but we've absolutely smashed that this summer. We've moved on some high earners and some who were earning far beyond their level of ability, and we've gone from having one of the highest average ages in the league to one of the youngest.

Exciting stuff, for sure!

Matty, is there any chance that you could do a post-transfer analysis of our current squad, including remaining needs, action items, and any possible youth movement (since it appears that we are now headed that way philosophically)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 20:10 by tigerline.

tigerline 03 September, 2019 20:12
djarse, it might be worth mentioning that we picked up an additional 3MM tied to the transfer of Bennacer.

Great cumulation, BTW.
I wonder how much we are saving on wages this year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 20:13 by tigerline.

MattySadler 03 September, 2019 21:06
Not sure how accurate this is but apparently with all of our transfer activity this summer we've reduced our wage bill by nearly £400k per week.

Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
MattySadler

Exciting stuff, for sure!

Matty, is there any chance that you could do a post-transfer analysis of our current squad, including remaining needs, action items, and any possible youth movement (since it appears that we are now headed that way philosophically)?

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Boston Gooner 03 September, 2019 22:36
Matty saw this online (The Times)

Arsenal have now saved £45 million on their annual wage bill after Henrikh Mkhitaryan became the latest player to leave the club this summer.

The midfielder, who joined Roma on loan yesterday, is among 11 senior players to have been offloaded. The Italian club will pay all of his £180,000-a-week wages and have an obligation to sign him on a permanent deal next summer, which is thought to be triggered by him playing 25 matches.

He follows other significant departures from Arsenal this summer: Petr Cech, Aaron Ramsey, Danny Welbeck, Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal, Mohamed Elneny, Alex Iwobi, David Ospina, Stephan Lichtsteiner and Carl Jenkinson. Their wages added up to nearly £900,000 a week.

I'm guessing that's not taking into account the new guys wages !!!

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

litmus 05 September, 2019 04:57
Good management. I like this ruthlessness shown where necessary. The club comes first mentality. I like the new people running our club, seem to have a solid plan. Hope we can build on this.

If we can sort out the defense and midfield, by next season we can even be challenging for the title.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net