Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Monreal joins Sociedad
Discussion started by MattySadler , 31 August, 2019 09:29
Monreal joins Sociedad
MattySadler 31 August, 2019 09:29
Nacho Monreal has officially joined Real Sociedad.

The fee for the 33 year old is said to be around €250,000, paid in installments. The move does not give us first option over any Sociedad players, which apparently had been discussed.

He joined for £9 million in January 2013 and has gone on to make 250 appearances for the club, winner three FA Cups.

I'm happy to admit Monreal proved me wrong. For the first 18 months or so he was rubbish and looked like a dud, but since settling into English football, right up until recently, he has been one of our most consistent players, and best defenders.

I know the club are keen to put an end to players leaving for free at the end of their contracts, but I find this particular transfer a strange one as Monreal had started all of our games so far this season and it leaves us with just Kolasinac until Tierney reaches full fitness, with no standout youth prospects coming through either.

----------

Also I think the nature of Monreal's departure, compared to Cnutcielny's, sums the two of them up as men.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2019 09:32 by MattySadler.

Re: Monreal joins Sociedad
Boston Gooner 31 August, 2019 09:39
Strange one this.
While I agree it was time to move him on the timing of this move does seem strange as it leaves us short.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0rxvKgV/15683271921485193192462576134714.png

Boston Gooner 31 August, 2019 09:45
The fee has been called ‘symbolic’, with the Spanish club set to pay €250,000 in instalments with some of it dependent on ‘sporting results’.

It’s not a lot of money, but we’ll be sure to make use of the €100 a week they send for the next 250 weeks (Sm22)

https://i.postimg.cc/d0rxvKgV/15683271921485193192462576134714.png

PKGooner 31 August, 2019 10:19
Always gave it his all and scored some important goals too.

For the most part, a consistent 6/10 player.

Gooner Sod 31 August, 2019 10:45
Good player and served us well. Should have kept till January at minimum.

Good luck to him.

goonerred 31 August, 2019 11:31
Shame.

Bergmars 31 August, 2019 12:29
Madness

Under new managment

Gunnersingh1 31 August, 2019 15:45
Should have kept hin until at least jan.

Has been a great servent.

Flava 31 August, 2019 16:13
Much better than Kolasinac, should’ve kept him until January

CazOnARola 31 August, 2019 16:20
Should have been kept till end of next season and deserved a farewell game. My favorite full back post invincibles

SuperRob 31 August, 2019 16:37
Must be because Tierney will be available soon after the international break

Padre Pio 31 August, 2019 17:07
I did think they wanted to use him v Spurs, which would have been better

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

AJ The Gunner 31 August, 2019 17:25
i'm not sure this is the best time to sell Monreal.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Ares 31 August, 2019 17:57
Should have stayed so people could say goodbye to him like a proper G.

Kalela 01 September, 2019 00:07
Oh @#$%&. I don't look forward to watching Kolasinac in a back four. That guy is incapable of defending. I hope Tierney is back and able to play very soon. I also hope he is actually good. Are there any decent youth players that can be promoted to play at left back ahead of Kolasinac in the event Tierney gets injured again?

grayfox1 01 September, 2019 01:08
i think he really wanted this move. good player on his day. solid. Bad move to let him go but i guess decency influenced the decision.

Merlion96 01 September, 2019 03:15
Quote:
grayfox1
i think he really wanted this move. good player on his day. solid. Bad move to let him go but i guess decency influenced the decision.

Yes. Decency.
And reward for a 33-year-old keen to return to his homeland with at least 2+1 years contract in the twilight of his career.
I will not begrudge an honest workman who gave his all for the badge he worn.
Unlike a certain cnut of a Bart Simpson that lost us the Carling Cup and countless errors that cost us dear.

All the best Nacho.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net