Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Is Emery Wenger 2.0?
Discussion started by SandyB , 28 August, 2019 22:05
Is Emery Wenger 2.0?
SandyB 28 August, 2019 22:05
I missed the 1st game of the season with New castle then watched both games against Burnley and Liverpool. It appears to be bit frustrating that same tactical noviceness is in Emery just like the Wenger era.
Everybody knows how Liverpool plays and we played the entire game trying to build from the back without any variation starving the two forwards pressed by Liverpool in our own half and losing the ball so often with miss passes. No tough tackles on Liverpool players with poor team selection without Torreria. Poor bench management. Shouldn't have played Willock in this game, Laca should have started, shouldn't have gone with diamond with 2nd choice FBs. Hope Bellrin is back soon.
Should look into Smith Rowe, as little I saw him probably better player.

Re: Is Emery Wenger 2.0?
Boston Gooner 28 August, 2019 22:31
Don't think we will ever win the title with Dick Emery.
Cup competitions more than likely.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0rxvKgV/15683271921485193192462576134714.png

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2019 22:33 by Boston Gooner.

Padre Pio 28 August, 2019 23:33
No because no manager will ever be allowed to go 14 years in a row without winning the league again

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 29 August, 2019 08:40
Emery is more defensive minded. I watched the relay of the first half and liverpool looked dangerous because crosses tend to get oohs and aahs but it's a low percentage way of getting goals, which is precisely why it is it is rare to see goals that way. Yes we have them space in the wide areas and let the fullback cross, but it was a gamble which almost worked as they couldn't get on the end of any of those.

Also i know it looks suicidal to build out from the back, but that looks like the way emery wants us to play and in the first half atleast, a couple of times that the midfield broke through, it completely opened up pool.

If we take a couple of those chances, the strategy may not have looked so bad.

Also we did try early balls, but pepe is not on the same wavelength as the others and Aubameyang is not the most intelligent footballer, he makes basic runs and is poor if he had defender right upto his back.

I would have played torreira for willock but emery must have his reasons and loved a couple of bursts from willock even though he was poor overall.

The strategy was as anti wenger as it gets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2019 15:10 by CazOnARola.

goonerred 29 August, 2019 10:45
Emery has to deliver more than he did last season or he will be gone I reckon. Another Wenger?
- one Arsene Wenger, there's only one Arsene Wenger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2019 10:59 by goonerred.

younghansolo 29 August, 2019 12:06
Doesn't Emery have his cut off clause at the end of this season, where we can choose whether to give him a third year?
If he fails to reach the Champions League this season he won't be renewed I'm certain.

I agree that there is similarity between Wenger and Emery in the sense that they both made very weird tactical decisions. What baffles me though, is that Emery made it by studying his opponents (Something Wenger was widely believed not to do.)

goonerred 29 August, 2019 12:15
Emery offered Xhaka another contract. I'll never understand that.

Bergmars 29 August, 2019 13:50
We have to show improvement and finish higher than last season the defending is no better but he has to have time.

Under new managment

Shane 29 August, 2019 15:53
Quote:
younghansolo
Doesn't Emery have his cut off clause at the end of this season, where we can choose whether to give him a third year?
If he fails to reach the Champions League this season he won't be renewed I'm certain.

If for whatever reason we're well adrift of top four by November or December, he'll be gone. And rightly so in my view.

I think it was a bit of a joke that we finished fifth last year. Spurs lost 13 times and still finished ahead of us. Point is, there was pressure on him before a ball was kicked this season. It's not like it's unreasonable to want a change if we're bringing up the rear in a couple months.

MattySadler 29 August, 2019 17:15
We've strengthened most the areas where we needed strengthening and are moving players on.

I won't excuse him like I did last season.

CazOnARola 29 August, 2019 19:48
Considering the state of Chelsea and United i believe we will make top 4. Whether our performances are drastically different from last year or not is another question.

Spurs is a big test, but even if we draw that game, we will probably get enough points at the end of the season to get top 4

PKGooner 29 August, 2019 22:13
If we don't finish 3rd in the league it's a failure to be honest

CazOnARola 29 August, 2019 22:39
Quote:
PKGooner
If we don't finish 3rd in the league it's a failure to be honest

Kalela 29 August, 2019 23:57
Quote:
Shouldn't have played Willock in this game.

I don't understand this at all. I thought Willock performed better than the other 3 midfield players. Ceballos, Guendouzi and Xhaka were all worse. I love Ceballos but he had horrible game where he couldn't do anything. Klopp game planned for him and took him out of the game completely.

SuperRob 30 August, 2019 09:02
I don't understand what this question means.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net