Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wonder have we bought another Gervinho?
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 25 August, 2019 15:28
Wonder have we bought another Gervinho?
Merlion96 25 August, 2019 15:28
All flash and no end products.
When we need him to lift the team, he hit his shots with a whimper.
Fingers crossed and let's hope he will explode this weekend and like Adebayor, scored against our deprived neighbour.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Re: Wonder have we bought another Gervinho?
CazOnARola 26 August, 2019 01:16
The shot that sailed a feet wide of the top corner says that pepe is no gervinho. Gervinho s shooting technique was so poor that most of the time when he would not a rolling ball, it would hit his heel a and he could never ever take corners or wrap his foot around the ball to lift it above the ground.

Pepe is technically way superior. Composure is a different story Ideally his dribbling ability is so superior to other wingers that he should be scoring way more goals. But he scored only 12 or so in open play which tells me he needs to work a lot on composure

Gooner Sod 26 August, 2019 21:25
Quote:
CazOnARola
The shot that sailed a feet wide of the top corner says that pepe is no gervinho. Gervinho s shooting technique was so poor that most of the time when he would not a rolling ball, it would hit his heel a and he could never ever take corners or wrap his foot around the ball to lift it above the ground.
Pepe is technically way superior. Composure is a different story Ideally his dribbling ability is so superior to other wingers that he should be scoring way more goals. But he scored only 12 or so in open play which tells me he needs to work a lot on composure

Even discounting his pens, 12 is a decent return for a wide forward, but we need him reaching around 15 league goals plus continue his double digit assists. He's no Gervinho, just Merlion trolling....

goonerred 27 August, 2019 06:18
Three games in, I think I'll reserve judgement!

MattySadler 27 August, 2019 06:28
State of this.

Flava 27 August, 2019 06:40
Quote:
MattySadler
State of this.

Boston Gooner 27 August, 2019 11:14
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
MattySadler
State of this.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Ares 27 August, 2019 23:57
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2018/08/08/08-pep-talk.w700.h467.jpg

Ares 27 August, 2019 23:58
https://www.buderimginger.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/harvest2.jpg

younghansolo 28 August, 2019 10:32
Time will tell. Absolutely no idea at this point.

Merlion96 28 August, 2019 21:11
Worst case scenario:
Dribble like Quincy and shoot like Gervinho.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Merlion96 01 September, 2019 17:34
Oh boy, all dazzle and no end products.
Emery should tach him calmness and composure in front of goal.

goonerred 01 September, 2019 17:36
Quote:
Merlion96
Oh boy, all dazzle and no end products.
Emery should tach him calmness and composure in front of goal.
Your being to harsh, give the lad a chance to settle in a bit. He looks great to me, one of those payers who looks like he's got elastic attached to the ball.

Merlion96 01 September, 2019 17:39
Gervinho looked great to me for the first season of his Arsenal career.
He was extremely successful as our lone striker in 4-5-1 … for the first 6 games.

SaltnPeppah 02 September, 2019 16:57
Quote:
Merlion96
Fingers crossed and let's hope he will explode this weekend and like Adebayor, scored against our deprived neighbour.

Having a go at Pépé after 3 games? Clueless a@#$$$.!

Oh, and I'm looking forward to crushing you AGAIN in the Pred League, LOSER!

Merlion96 07 September, 2019 02:07
[soccersouls.com]

Now, every manager and his dog knew how to shunt Pepe away from his left peg and force him wide on his right peg to prevent him from crossing and shooting.
Easy.

younghansolo 07 September, 2019 09:04
That article is incredibly harsh on a player who isn't even match fit yet

Merlion96 07 September, 2019 10:46
All because he was bought for 72-mil and Iwobi only worth 40-mil.

Merlion96 15 September, 2019 17:26
You guys believe moi now?

Zaha or Fraser will be a better buy and fit into the team.

On the other hand, like Roberto Pires, Pepe may take as long as ONE WHOLE SEASON to adopt to English Football.

CazOnARola 15 September, 2019 19:33
Merl zaha would not be able to setup Nelson the way pepe did. Pepe has much better game sense than zaha.

He will need time, but he isn't a world beater like hazard, that much is evident unless he improves his composure.

Also i dont think emery is the manager to get the best out of home. His runs are very direct and i don't see any other player than ozil who can find him, not reverb ceballos who slows down the game a lot.

At the moment ozil Aubameyang and lacazette are the best players at this club with no one even close in the second tier.

Ceballos just shows and tries to work hard. His defensive positioning is shocking and no more of a liability than ozil.

We are still missing players who can win the ball back from the opposition.

Gunnersingh1 15 September, 2019 20:08
We need more Pepe's!

At least he try's something. The rest of our players just pass sidewards.

Boston Gooner 15 September, 2019 21:28
Last thing we need is more Pepe's.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Kalela 16 September, 2019 01:19
This was probably his worse game all season. I am really hoping you Merlion is wrong about him but he is starting to worry me. He was invisible in this game. That may have been due to the midfield being @#$%& though.

CazOnARola 16 September, 2019 03:14
Quote:
Kalela
This was probably his worse game all season. I am really hoping you Merlion is wrong about him but he is starting to worry me. He was invisible in this game. That may have been due to the midfield being @#$%& though.

We aren't direct and aren't getting the ball quickly to auba and pepe. We needed more passes like ozils through ball which curled on the ground and slightly behind pepe.

None of the other midfielders can find our towards quickly. If your are going to play on the counter attack, atleast do it well. Last we were doing it better than this season.

Gunnersingh1 16 September, 2019 06:29
Pepe would look brilliant in Liverpool's team.

I'm still backing him to come good. He runs at players and wants to make something happen. Let's see were he is at Xmas before we judge him.

SuperRob 16 September, 2019 07:44
He's had 4 games. He looks like he's still playing within himself. Too early to judge.

Merlion96 01 October, 2019 06:26
He made Gervinho looks world-class.

Gooner Sod 01 October, 2019 08:58
Hahaha Mystic Merlion at it again!

Jokes aside, its getting worrying. Especially with his lack of fight, the media then fans will quickly turn on him when team hits a really bad patch.

Ozil was putting in much better performances than this and media and pundits turned on him after after our usual shocking away displays.

But....Saka is playing so well so when Laca is back Pepe can be dropped if he hasn't improved.

mapleleafgooner 01 October, 2019 22:50
Quote:
Merlion96
On the other hand, like Roberto Pires, Pepe may take as long as ONE WHOLE SEASON to adopt to English Football.

If Pepe is the second coming of Pires, then I think waiting for one season for Pepe to come good is worth it. Don't u agree?

Merlion96 02 October, 2019 20:57
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Merlion96

If Pepe is the second coming of Pires, then I think waiting for one season for Pepe to come good is worth it. Don't u agree?

That was Arsene Wenger who was in his prime and knew what he wanted from his players.
Here, we have a dumbfcuk of a manager who turned all his players into road runners and expect even Oil to transform immediately into another road runner who can run box-to-box and presses intensively once ball is lost.

Remember Pepe was a known dribbler and a speed monster.
Is it because of rain that he can't even hold onto the ball at Old Trafford whereas he ran rings around players at Anfield because the pitch is perfect?

If that is correct, expect him to get worse during those muddy and slippery pitches during the coming wintry months and not better.

Padre Pio 02 October, 2019 21:41
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
I'm still backing him to come good. He runs at players and wants to make something happen. Let's see were he is at Xmas before we judge him.

Makes sense

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane 03 October, 2019 14:26
I hope somebody at the club studied Pepe's personality and background before deciding he was worth £70 million. It's such a massive burden and some players - like Ozil - can't handle the pressure of being a club's most expensive player. Background is so important. That's what shapes personality, and if Pepe comes from a wealthy family and/or is an only child or youngest sibling, we're f*cked. I think. I don't know actually. I'm sure that's probably not how it works, but it can be an indicator sometimes.

MickTheMan 03 October, 2019 17:46
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Pepe wouldn't come close to Lpools first team with what he showed so far after losing possession. That kind of attitude would not be tolerated under Klopp. Other thing is that my dog would look good in this Lpool side.

I really hope that once Pepe regains full fitness and confidence he'll know better what he can contribute defensively and still be effective going forward. He got what it takes anyone can see it and when he starts to perform we will forgive him a lot but he doesn't make it easier for himself behaving like that and pretending that hard defensive work doesn't bother him at all. He is neither Messi nor CR7.

Willy 03 October, 2019 20:59
Also getting in the way of team-mates on hat-tricks doesn't help!

Padre Pio 24 October, 2019 21:16
Quote:
Merlion96
I don’t remember Gervinho scoring two great free kicks and change disaster into triumph

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 24 October, 2019 22:08
Ahem … initially, Gervinho did score some great goals when he was used as a lone striker in 4-5-1 during his last season with us at start of that season. Then, he disappeared.

Now, let's see Pepe scored goals from open plays like Gervinho did for us during his first and last season as Lone Striker (I think first 12 games of that season before he faded away).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2019 22:09 by Merlion96.

CazOnARola 25 October, 2019 07:49
Quote:
Merlion96
Ahem … initially, Gervinho did score some great goals when he was used as a lone striker in 4-5-1 during his last season with us at start of that season. Then, he disappeared.
Now, let's see Pepe scored goals from open plays like Gervinho did for us during his first and last season as Lone Striker (I think first 12 games of that season before he faded away).
Nope merl. Both Gervinho and hleb have some of the worst shooting technique for wingers. Their muscle memory when it comes to pure shooting is so bad that it invariably hits the inside part of their shoe and thereby they hardly get any elevation on their crosses or free kicks. I've had the same pbm for years due to faulty technique during my developmental years and its taken me years to get any improvement.

Gervinho and hleb would have never scored those kinds of goals. Only players at arsenal who were capable of this after the invincibles are RVP, cazorla, podolski, xhaka, sanchez and to some extent cesc who had the reverse pbm and got too much under the ball (which is why cech would gobble up his corners when we played against chelsea).
Ramsey has a similar pbm, just watch all his free kicks, he would never be able to get the ball over the wall 90% of the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2019 08:20 by CazOnARola.

BootyDaddy 25 October, 2019 13:36
Gervinho was awful.

He would literally run the ball off the pitch or simply fall over when dribbling for no apparent reason.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Merlion96 25 October, 2019 23:27
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Merlion96
Nope merl. Both Gervinho and hleb have some of the worst shooting technique for wingers. Their muscle memory when it comes to pure shooting is so bad that it invariably hits the inside part of their shoe and thereby they hardly get any elevation on their crosses or free kicks. I've had the same pbm for years due to faulty technique during my developmental years and its taken me years to get any improvement.

Gervinho and hleb would have never scored those kinds of goals. Only players at arsenal who were capable of this after the invincibles are RVP, cazorla, podolski, xhaka, sanchez and to some extent cesc who had the reverse pbm and got too much under the ball (which is why cech would gobble up his corners when we played against chelsea).
Ramsey has a similar pbm, just watch all his free kicks, he would never be able to get the ball over the wall 90% of the time.

Good read. (Sm128)

Merlion96 25 October, 2019 23:29
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Gervinho was awful.
He would literally run the ball off the pitch or simply fall over when dribbling for no apparent reason.

I agreed with you.
Let's give Gervinho some credit. He did score some goals in open plays.

Merlion96 23 January, 2020 00:32
It is insulting to place Gervinho in the same class as Pansy Pepe.
Even Gervinho can dribble thru' that Chelski defence without breaking a sweat.

That's another mega-flop signed by Sanllehi … starting with Ceballos, Luiz, et al.

CazOnARola 23 January, 2020 01:38
You wouldn't have posted this if Lacazette wasn't sleeping and strayed off side.
I haven't a winger as heavily marked as pepe in this league for a long time.

There are at times 3 ppl covering his side. Arteta needs to coach the team to switch sides quicker but that requires more mobile CMs. At the moment his only passing option inside from the right wing seems to be ozil.

Also as good as Martinelli is, he is being left one v one many times like I've said before because Pepe's wing is double marked by CMs.
This leaves our left side as the best chance of attacking the opposition. Lacazette and Aubameyang are also hiding behind defenders, one of them some be the option for a cut back /left footed drive from pepe. As a result of Lacazette and Aubameyang making exactly the same run, pepe has to either cross with his right or feed ozil which becomes predictable.
Not enough end product is coming from Saka/Martinelli in terms of assists for others considering the space they are being afforded. Same goes for Aubameyang who has been even worse since he has zero threat in terms of attacking his LB.

Tierney s crossing accuracy is way better than saka/kola. Can't wait for his return in Arteta's formation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 09:47 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio 23 January, 2020 09:02
Pepe is looking better every game, but as said he is over marked and often not helped out.
Its also true that front players not making assists, but I think the problem is caused by the disconnect between a creative midfield and the front runners. The midfield is not linking up that well, especially Ozil, Lacca increasingly is forced the behave like a midfielder.
The genius of Martinelli goal was the way he positioned himself for the Chelsea Corner that led his goal in 13 seconds box to box.
Emery tried to cut out the midfield almost altogether, now he is gone Martinelli achieved it.
Only when Guendouzi came on did we get an operative midfield that led to Bellerin goal.
How many chances did the Merlion maligned Pepe miss against Chelsea?
None he didnt get any.

goonerred 23 January, 2020 09:04
I think Pepe looks exciting on the ball at times, and I'm prepared to give him longer before I condemn him to the Arsenal archives.

CazOnARola 23 January, 2020 10:17
Quote:
Padre Pio
Pepe is looking better every game, but as said he is over marked and often not helped out.
Its also true that front players not making assists, but I think the problem is caused by the disconnect between a creative midfield and the front runners. The midfield is not linking up that well, especially Ozil, Lacca increasingly is forced the behave like a midfielder.
The genius of Martinelli goal was the way he positioned himself for the Chelsea Corner that led his goal in 13 seconds box to box.
Emery tried to cut out the midfield almost altogether, now he is gone Martinelli achieved it.
Only when Guendouzi came on did we get an operative midfield that led to Bellerin goal.
How many chances did the Merlion maligned Pepe miss against Chelsea?
None he didnt get any.
Padre the disconnect is because giroud had 10 times better movement in terms of getting into spaces (even if he lacks peace severely) compared to Lacazette and Aubameyang. Just look at Jimenez, he makes Lacazette and Aubameyang s attempts to get into goal scoring positions look like school boys at times. Both have habit of running between defenders rather than faking and then waiting for a cut back if the defender has tracked their run. Aubameyang always makes the move towards the source which will give him a tap in irrespective of how difficult it is for the midfielder to make that pass.
In top of that, Lacazette will actually try to thread the ball to auba even if the probability of making that pass is a almost negligible and he would ignore completely unmarked players (ozil, Torreira and pepe most of the times) inside the box in acres of spaces comparatively.

When auba and laca don't have each other as the option, it will invariably firm into them taking shots from unbelievable angles or just recycle back.

Note, this is only true for final balls, they are happy to play through balls to others to create openings for the team in general, but with the final ball they only target each other.

If Martinelli hadn't scored that goal, everybody would be screaming at home for ignore pepe who was long at an open goal. Messi/suarez/neymar or sent or the city players would have passed to the player who was in pepe s position.

This has been going on for a long long time now, i can make hours long compilation of the choices laca/auba make for their final ball and who they ignore.

Martinelli /Nelson /willock have a similar cartel going on.

Merlion96 23 January, 2020 10:31
Okay.
Against Bournemouth, let's have some statistics to backup your claim.

CazOnARola 23 January, 2020 13:29
Quote:
Merlion96
Okay.
Against Bournemouth, let's have some statistics to backup your claim.
These stats may not be readily available especially, stick players were "ignored" for the pass.

I can quote a simple example from pepe against SFU. He gives a diving right footed cross to Martinelli to score with his left foot with a defender chasing Martinelli.

If pepe breaks stride even once and checks back on his favoured left foot, he will find ozil completely unmarked inside the penalty box and moving forward. It's probably one of the best scoring positions in the game other than tap ins.

You will see this theme repeating with ozil /"Torreira and even pepe.
I will post again when i notice it. Bound to happen again in the Burnley game if we happen to create any chances. These days we end up creating only 2/3

MickTheMan 23 January, 2020 20:51
He's often frustrating and clearly needs more time. He looks like he is trying to impress the fans too much at times. But also as was said above he is almost never left 1on1. It seems as there are always two or three players focused on keeping him quiet.

Merlion96 23 January, 2020 21:01
Bluntly, players like Salah, Mane, Rashford, et al are never left alone and always heavily marked.

The key for Salah is his first touch which killed the ball effectively even though he is tightly marked. Whereas Pepe does not has that kind of technical skill.
Come to think of it, how many of our current bunch that can killed the ball with a first touch like Salah - I can only see Ozil.

I see virtually all our players and ALL our youngsters cannot killed the ball like Salah and usually with the ball yards ahead of them with the first touch.

Most notably is Smith-Rowe when trying to kill the ball with his first touch by trying to push it and run after it, hoping his psh will deceive the defender marking him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net