Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wonder have we bought another Gervinho?
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 25 August, 2019 16:28
Wonder have we bought another Gervinho?
Merlion96 25 August, 2019 16:28
All flash and no end products.
When we need him to lift the team, he hit his shots with a whimper.
Fingers crossed and let's hope he will explode this weekend and like Adebayor, scored against our deprived neighbour.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Re: Wonder have we bought another Gervinho?
CazOnARola 26 August, 2019 02:16
The shot that sailed a feet wide of the top corner says that pepe is no gervinho. Gervinho s shooting technique was so poor that most of the time when he would not a rolling ball, it would hit his heel a and he could never ever take corners or wrap his foot around the ball to lift it above the ground.

Pepe is technically way superior. Composure is a different story Ideally his dribbling ability is so superior to other wingers that he should be scoring way more goals. But he scored only 12 or so in open play which tells me he needs to work a lot on composure

Gooner Sod 26 August, 2019 22:25
Quote:
CazOnARola
The shot that sailed a feet wide of the top corner says that pepe is no gervinho. Gervinho s shooting technique was so poor that most of the time when he would not a rolling ball, it would hit his heel a and he could never ever take corners or wrap his foot around the ball to lift it above the ground.
Pepe is technically way superior. Composure is a different story Ideally his dribbling ability is so superior to other wingers that he should be scoring way more goals. But he scored only 12 or so in open play which tells me he needs to work a lot on composure

Even discounting his pens, 12 is a decent return for a wide forward, but we need him reaching around 15 league goals plus continue his double digit assists. He's no Gervinho, just Merlion trolling....

goonerred 27 August, 2019 07:18
Three games in, I think I'll reserve judgement!

MattySadler 27 August, 2019 07:28
State of this.

Flava 27 August, 2019 07:40
Quote:
MattySadler
State of this.

Boston Gooner 27 August, 2019 12:14
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
MattySadler
State of this.

Ares 28 August, 2019 00:57
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2018/08/08/08-pep-talk.w700.h467.jpg

Ares 28 August, 2019 00:58
https://www.buderimginger.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/harvest2.jpg

younghansolo 28 August, 2019 11:32
Time will tell. Absolutely no idea at this point.

Merlion96 28 August, 2019 22:11
Worst case scenario:
Dribble like Quincy and shoot like Gervinho.

Merlion96 01 September, 2019 18:34
Oh boy, all dazzle and no end products.
Emery should tach him calmness and composure in front of goal.

goonerred 01 September, 2019 18:36
Quote:
Merlion96
Oh boy, all dazzle and no end products.
Emery should tach him calmness and composure in front of goal.
Your being to harsh, give the lad a chance to settle in a bit. He looks great to me, one of those payers who looks like he's got elastic attached to the ball.

Merlion96 01 September, 2019 18:39
Gervinho looked great to me for the first season of his Arsenal career.
He was extremely successful as our lone striker in 4-5-1 … for the first 6 games.

SaltnPeppah 02 September, 2019 17:57
Quote:
Merlion96
All flash and no end products.
When we need him to lift the team, he hit his shots with a whimper.
Fingers crossed and let's hope he will explode this weekend and like Adebayor, scored against our deprived neighbour.

Having a go at Pépé after 3 games? Clueless a@#$$$.!

Oh, and I'm looking forward to crushing you AGAIN in the Pred League, LOSER!

Merlion96 07 September, 2019 03:07
[soccersouls.com]

Now, every manager and his dog knew how to shunt Pepe away from his left peg and force him wide on his right peg to prevent him from crossing and shooting.
Easy.

younghansolo 07 September, 2019 10:04
That article is incredibly harsh on a player who isn't even match fit yet

Merlion96 07 September, 2019 11:46
All because he was bought for 72-mil and Iwobi only worth 40-mil.

Merlion96 15 September, 2019 18:26
You guys believe moi now?

Zaha or Fraser will be a better buy and fit into the team.

On the other hand, like Roberto Pires, Pepe may take as long as ONE WHOLE SEASON to adopt to English Football.

CazOnARola 15 September, 2019 20:33
Merl zaha would not be able to setup Nelson the way pepe did. Pepe has much better game sense than zaha.

He will need time, but he isn't a world beater like hazard, that much is evident unless he improves his composure.

Also i dont think emery is the manager to get the best out of home. His runs are very direct and i don't see any other player than ozil who can find him, not reverb ceballos who slows down the game a lot.

At the moment ozil Aubameyang and lacazette are the best players at this club with no one even close in the second tier.

Ceballos just shows and tries to work hard. His defensive positioning is shocking and no more of a liability than ozil.

We are still missing players who can win the ball back from the opposition.

Gunnersingh1 15 September, 2019 21:08
We need more Pepe's!

At least he try's something. The rest of our players just pass sidewards.

Boston Gooner 15 September, 2019 22:28
Last thing we need is more Pepe's.

Kalela 16 September, 2019 02:19
This was probably his worse game all season. I am really hoping you Merlion is wrong about him but he is starting to worry me. He was invisible in this game. That may have been due to the midfield being @#$%& though.

CazOnARola 16 September, 2019 04:14
Quote:
Kalela
This was probably his worse game all season. I am really hoping you Merlion is wrong about him but he is starting to worry me. He was invisible in this game. That may have been due to the midfield being @#$%& though.

We aren't direct and aren't getting the ball quickly to auba and pepe. We needed more passes like ozils through ball which curled on the ground and slightly behind pepe.

None of the other midfielders can find our towards quickly. If your are going to play on the counter attack, atleast do it well. Last we were doing it better than this season.

Gunnersingh1 16 September, 2019 07:29
Pepe would look brilliant in Liverpool's team.

I'm still backing him to come good. He runs at players and wants to make something happen. Let's see were he is at Xmas before we judge him.

SuperRob 16 September, 2019 08:44
He's had 4 games. He looks like he's still playing within himself. Too early to judge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net