Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.


Team against Liverpool
Discussion started by Gunnersingh1 , 17 August, 2019 22:42
Team against Liverpool
Gunnersingh1 17 August, 2019 22:42
Leno

AMN
Sokratis
Luiz
Monreal

Guendouzi
Xhaka
Ceballos
Willock

Pepe

Auba

People will find this team strange but i don't. Monreal and AMN need help against Liverppol or we will get destroyed again.

Give pepe a free role and see if we can counter. I don't expect a result. Liverpool are the worst side for us to face in world football

Re: Team against Liverpool
Padre Pio 17 August, 2019 23:04
I would rather get Torreria in and probably put Xhaka in for Guendouzi



- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Re: Team against Liverpool
Gunnersingh1 17 August, 2019 23:20
Guendouzi will start. Torreria and Xhaka both had awful games there last year.

We need someone on the right to help AMN against Mane. Mane is on fire.

Re: Team against Liverpool
Jack_is_the_truth 17 August, 2019 23:27
People will find it weird because it’s weird

Midfield 3 of guendouzi torriera and Ceballos the big 3 up top and we are golden



http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Re: Team against Liverpool
Gunnersingh1 17 August, 2019 23:33
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
People will find it weird because it’s weird
Midfield 3 of guendouzi torriera and Ceballos the big 3 up top and we are golden

Where you been Jack?

We can't let Mane and Salah have 1 on 1's with Monreal and AMN, we will get smashed again.

Re: Team against Liverpool
Jack_is_the_truth 17 August, 2019 23:35
We will cope. They are not that special



http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Re: Team against Liverpool
Merlion96 18 August, 2019 01:45
We need the height and physique of Chambers to battle against Van Djik, Matip or Gomez during corners and freekicks.
Against Burnley, we were dominated by Burnley, with them winning virtually all 1-on-1 header duels in the box, with Leno flapping. Worse, Burnley won nearly all the 2nd and 3rd ball in the box with our poor clearances and organisation.

Klopp and all managers and their dogs can't help noticing that Leno is extremely uncomfortable with in-swinging and hanging balls in the box, missing his punches more than he hit the ball.

The key to beat Arsenal is just does what Burnley does whole day long:
- floated the ball into the box with burly players line up in twos and threes to block off defenders with the 2nd and 3rd player behind attacking the hanging balls. We got off the hook due to their poor finishes - imagine Salah, Mane, Frimino, Henderson and company attacking the 2nd ball in the box.

Liverpool and Tiny Totts have the game and players to attack our vulnerabilities with far superior players than Burnley.

The key to beating them is to tightening the gaps between defenders, narrow the playing field and take a leaf from Burnley - pack midfield and defence with no room left for Liverpool to play their rapid and precise passing game. Discipline is all-important to track their players and to erase those lapses like allowing Ashley Barnes a split-second and half-a-yard clear space to shoot in the box.

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. Leno

….. ….. Chambers ….. Sokratis ….. Luiz
… AMN … Guendouzi ….. ..... ..… Willock … Monreal

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. Ceballos

….. ….. ….. … Lacazette ….. ….. Aubameyang

The key is Ceballos with his awesome engine that interchange from playing as No. 10 to join in the attack and No. 8 as DCM when under incessant attacks from Liverpool. He must dominate the space between MIDFIELD and FORWARD like an advanced regista, sweeping up all loose balls, anticipate and break-up all attacks allowing Guendouzi-Willock o clean-up all loose balls behind him.

We need the disicpline of AMN-Guendouzi-Chambers to contain the threat down the right flanks and vice-versa for Monreal-WIllock-Luiz on the other flank.

Xhaka is a liability in this game with his lapses in cocnentration, too slow and tend to collect yellows with his reckless and desperate tackling when players got passed him. Torreira is still 1 of 3 games short of fitness.

I doubt we cna win this game and anything we can get from this game is a win for me at Anfield.
Let's hope the potency and threat of Laca-Auba will help to pin Liverpool defenders in their own half.



'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Re: Team against Liverpool
CazOnARola 18 August, 2019 04:37
Quote:
Merlion96
We need the height and physique of Chambers to battle against Van Djik, Matip or Gomez during corners and freekicks.
Against Burnley, we were dominated by Burnley, with them winning virtually all 1-on-1 header duels in the box, with Leno flapping. Worse, Burnley won nearly all the 2nd and 3rd ball in the box with our poor clearances and organisation.

Klopp and all managers and their dogs can't help noticing that Leno is extremely uncomfortable with in-swinging and hanging balls in the box, missing his punches more than he hit the ball.

The key to beat Arsenal is just does what Burnley does whole day long:
- floated the ball into the box with burly players line up in twos and threes to block off defenders with the 2nd and 3rd player behind attacking the hanging balls. We got off the hook due to their poor finishes - imagine Salah, Mane, Frimino, Henderson and company attacking the 2nd ball in the box.

Liverpool and Tiny Totts have the game and players to attack our vulnerabilities with far superior players than Burnley.

The key to beating them is to tightening the gaps between defenders, narrow the playing field and take a leaf from Burnley - pack midfield and defence with no room left for Liverpool to play their rapid and precise passing game. Discipline is all-important to track their players and to erase those lapses like allowing Ashley Barnes a split-second and half-a-yard clear space to shoot in the box.

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. Leno

….. ….. Chambers ….. Sokratis ….. Luiz
… AMN … Guendouzi ….. ..... ..… Willock … Monreal

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. Ceballos

….. ….. ….. … Lacazette ….. ….. Aubameyang

The key is Ceballos with his awesome engine that interchange from playing as No. 10 to join in the attack and No. 8 as DCM when under incessant attacks from Liverpool. He must dominate the space between MIDFIELD and FORWARD like an advanced regista, sweeping up all loose balls, anticipate and break-up all attacks allowing Guendouzi-Willock o clean-up all loose balls behind him.

We need the disicpline of AMN-Guendouzi-Chambers to contain the threat down the right flanks and vice-versa for Monreal-WIllock-Luiz on the other flank.

Xhaka is a liability in this game with his lapses in cocnentration, too slow and tend to collect yellows with his reckless and desperate tackling when players got passed him. Torreira is still 1 of 3 games short of fitness.

I doubt we cna win this game and anything we can get from this game is a win for me at Anfield.
Let's hope the potency and threat of Laca-Auba will help to pin Liverpool defenders in their own half.

This is very much possible. But i think emery is sticking to the 4 man defense. Willock, guendouzi and Ceballos will start hopefully. We can't have xhaka in this game, u need legs in midfield.

But like GS said Liverpool are our arch nemesis. We like to play out from the back and are not really that great at it unlike city. We can expect much. I wouldn't stay pepe and drain his confidence in this one though. This game is just a damsge control exercise without our current full backs. AMN is not an out and out defender and monreal has aged and lost his agility

Re: Team against Liverpool
younghansolo 20 August, 2019 17:59
Their defence has looked dreadful so far. I really think the best approach is to go for it. I have a sneaky suspicion it will be close

Re: Team against Liverpool
BootyDaddy 21 August, 2019 11:28
I think for the first time ever I agree with Merl on that team selection.



Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Re: Team against Liverpool
Boston Gooner 21 August, 2019 11:36
Will be surprised if Willock plays.
Xhaka will play if fit.

Re: Team against Liverpool
BootyDaddy 21 August, 2019 11:52
I don't get how Xhaka just walks in the team as he's s.hit.



Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Re: Team against Liverpool
Boston Gooner 21 August, 2019 12:25
Quote:
BootyDaddy
I don't get how Xhaka just walks in the team as he's s.hit.

Agree.

Re: Team against Liverpool
CazOnARola 21 August, 2019 19:14
He has been named the first captain i think. So yes i agree he will start. Tbh we need ppl who can run and cover so willock and guendouzi sound get the nod. I think ceballos will start after that display even though this is too early for him

Re: Team against Liverpool
litmus 22 August, 2019 05:03
Torreira should start even if not fully fit. If he gets tired then hook him in the 70th minute. The game plan should be to keep it tight and frustrate them. As they push forward later in the game, then bring Pepe on (as he is not fully match fit to start) and hit them on the counter. Its vital to not conceed early.

With the pace of Auba and Pepe we can pack our defense and play on the counter. Perhaps even a 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks. 5 at the back when defending interchanging to a 4 when bombing forward, with the extra wingback tucking in the other side.

Torreira, Guendozi and Ceballos as the midfield 3.

Chambers-Luiz-Papa
AMN-Torreira-Guendozi-Ceballos-Monreal/Sead
Auba-Laca

Pepe to come on around the hour mark

I would take a draw. Playing an open game will be suicidal.

Re: Team against Liverpool
Kalela 22 August, 2019 06:15
My suggestion is probably crazy but I want to see a midfield of Chambers, Willock and Ceballos/Guedouzi. Chamber's best position is in defensive midfield. He is slightly quicker than Xhaka and much stronger. He can bully Liverpool's midfield.

Re: Team against Liverpool
litmus 22 August, 2019 06:28
I see a lot of naivety in Willock's game. He will develop but against a team like Liverpool we can't afford a single mistake or we will get punish. No Xhaka either.

Torreira, Guendozi and Ceballos should start as our midfield 3. Once Hector returns, AMN can be a terrific option in the middle too, which is his true position.

Re: Team against Liverpool
CazOnARola 22 August, 2019 07:47
Quote:
litmus
I see a lot of naivety in Willock's game. He will develop but against a team like Liverpool we can't afford a single mistake or we will get punish. No Xhaka either.
Torreira, Guendozi and Ceballos should start as our midfield 3. Once Hector returns, AMN can be a terrific option in the middle too, which is his true position.
I'd go with this but willock will start. I think he had better defensive awareness then guendouzi. Ceballos picks himself and Torreira is probably too small to help out AMN against mane.

I would not play players who are woeful in one v one situations. So id not play chambers in any position. Im counting on luiz, who altho he switches off is actually quick and good in one v one situations.

But our main pbms would be ppl like firminho ghoasting behind. Our midfield and defense both are poor at tracking runs, so i expect firminho to cause pbms while mane and salah attack through the wings

Re: Team against Liverpool
grayfox1 24 August, 2019 22:41
You got it right GS1. It turned out to be a absolutely dreadful team to field against Liverpool away.

Re: Team against Liverpool
Gunnersingh1 25 August, 2019 11:56
Quote:
grayfox1
You got it right GS1. It turned out to be a absolutely dreadful team to field against Liverpool away.

Yes we'd have won if Mustafi played....

Re: Team against Liverpool
CazOnARola 25 August, 2019 12:21
We weren't going to win no matter. If they wouldn't have scored 2, they would play differently. Liverpool has very tall players, esp their CBs and they are going to cause pbms to everyone on set pieces. And we are not that great at defending them and have been that way for years. We could have drawn if we took a couple of chances and scored early.

Re: Team against Liverpool
Padre Pio 25 August, 2019 12:37
Quote:
CazOnARola
We weren't going to win no matter. If they wouldn't have scored 2, they would play differently. Liverpool has very tall players, esp their CBs and they are going to cause pbms to everyone on set pieces. And we are not that great at defending them and have been that way for years. We could have drawn if we took a couple of chances and scored early.

Agreed. Goals change games, and Luiz is always going to do something mad every 3 or 4 games or so.



- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2019 12:37 by Padre Pio.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net