Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Exciting season ahead...
Discussion started by Silky6 , 01 August, 2019 22:42
Exciting season ahead...
Silky6 01 August, 2019 22:42
For the first time in a very long time I feel we head into the season with optimism rather than trepidation. For the past 6 or 7 years, albeit with the signings of Ozil and Alexis, we’ve watched us fall further and further away into complete mediocrity. What’s made this much worse is seeing the rise of the Spuds under much superior management.

I think it’s clear that Emery will be under a lot closer inspection this season having had a year to implement his ideas. Each player will know exactly what’s expected of them.

I believe this summers activity will be the ‘re-set’ we needed and really freshen things up in that changing room. If Tierney does get across the line it gives us pace on both sides, something we’ve been missing for so long. A nimble centre back and we will look like a decent outfit again and bring us a little closer to the pack.

We all know we’re not going to win the league, but let’s give everything to be back in the top four and push on from there.

Whatever happens, I think we can finally be excited!

Re: Exciting season ahead...
Boston Gooner 01 August, 2019 23:01
Top 4 would be nice but still think we may well miss out again with the defenders we have.

But that may well change in the coming days hopefully.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

CazOnARola 02 August, 2019 04:53
I think Chelsea can really regress and haven't seen anything from United yet.

Don't expect pepe to turn into salah and mane over night, but definitely will open up teams at times. He will take time to get used to the league. Without Tierney and a good CB, we may falter again

CazOnARola 02 August, 2019 04:53
But still an exciting season for sure, it will be exciting and frustrating, but it's better than being predictable.

MattySadler 02 August, 2019 06:07
It's all about what else we can get done this week, but I am more optimistic than I have been for at least 4 or 5 years

younghansolo 02 August, 2019 07:09
The manager categorically has no exicuse for not finishing top four.

That is an absolute minimum or hes for the high jump

SuperRob 02 August, 2019 09:25
I'll be very optimistic if we sign a couple more defenders. Right now, I'm not too unhappy about our starting back 4 but we lack depth in defence.

I am also slightly concerned that we lost our best midfielder and have replaced him with an unproven player on loan. But we now have a huge number of attacking options so we can probably work around this if Ceballos doesn't live up to expectations.

Merlion96 02 August, 2019 23:53
Too many false dawns.
If we go 15 or 18 games unbeaten at start of season like in 2007/08 ….

'We can strive to act as best as we can, but we can never completely control the outcome. … … but if we make our goal simply doing the best we can, then nothing can get in our way' Stoicism

CazOnARola 03 August, 2019 06:15
What you see on YouTube is just highlights. Pepe s passing stats are only marginally better than sanchez. He's not going to run past 3/4 players in epls deep lying defenses and score hat tricks for fun.

Is going to be hard toil. Tierney might be injured and might be coming back only in September. The guy had missed a lot games through injury.

I hope we are not signing another injury prone player.

Plus we need a new CB at least on level with Sokratis.

Silky6 03 August, 2019 09:07
Reports linking us with a loan move for Coutinho. Really?
Would be an incredible player to add to the lineup, but surely would mean Ozil sitting on the bench very regularly.

Not sure how we would accommodate the both of them.

CazOnARola 03 August, 2019 12:48
Barca just trying to let clubs know he is available. They want neymar back and want to free up the wages. Coutinho is a pretty selfish player like sanchez (ball hogger), was never gonna fit in with messi.

Don't need Coutinho right now, we need defenders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net