Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Transfer summary
SuperRob 07 August, 2019 15:58
David Luiz is trying to force a move to Arsenal apparently. Great. Another erratic defensive player with terrible hair.

goonerred 07 August, 2019 16:12
Quote:
SuperRob
David Luiz is trying to force a move to Arsenal apparently. Great. Another erratic defensive player with terrible hair.
Have we even said we want him?

Kalela 07 August, 2019 16:24
Rugani is not a good defender from what I have seen. Not sure he would improve the defense at all. Dayot is also error message and somewhat small for a CB. His less talked about teammate Ibrahima Konaté is actually a better defender than him. Hopefully it is all just rumors and the real targets are not these two.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 16:56
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
SuperRob
Have we even said we want him?

Hope this isn't going to happen.
Terrible defender.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 17:09
Watford have completed the signing of out-of-contract England striker Danny Welbeck.

MattySadler 07 August, 2019 17:11
Another apparent deadline day move for Luiz. Almost feels like a case of anyone would be an improvement at this late stage? Going from potentially Upamecano to probably Luiz. Can't pretend I'm thrilled.

Dominic Thompson is apparently close to signing for Brentford. Brentford's Rico Henry has been linked with a move to Celtic if Tierney leaves...

SA-Gunner 07 August, 2019 17:34
Luiz is a good option. Great leader, good passing range, tons of experience. He had been one of Chelsea's best performers since arriving back from PSG.

djarse 07 August, 2019 17:36
I agree Luiz is a bit of a let down compared to the other names mentioned in the last few days.

But Luiz is definitely an upgrade on Mustafi and could be useful as a leader on the pitch and for developing Holding and Chambers (and Saliba next year). Also he will be a lot cheaper than Upamecano and therefore make it easier to finalise the Tierney deal.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 17:55
Trouble is he isn't a good defender.
And that's what we require.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 18:01
Emery sky sports.

"We tried to sign some important and expensive players for our defence, but we cannot do that and other second line players don't make us really, really convinced to sign them

MattySadler 07 August, 2019 18:03
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Emery sky sports.
"We tried to sign some important and expensive players for our defence, but we cannot do that and other second line players don't make us really, really convinced to sign them

This is largely why I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 18:30
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Emery sky sports.

This is largely why I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Agree.
Would have much rather spent the Pepe money on defence.

djarse 07 August, 2019 19:18
I think people are under-estimating Luiz.

He played 50 times for Chelsea last season (the most for any central defender) and they had the 3rd best defence in the premiership. He played 280 times for Chelsea and PSG combined (Emery knows him form PSG, of course) and over 50 times for Brazil - most of these appearances were in central defence. And he is a proven winner, and a leader on the pitch.

Ok he does occasionally make spectacular mistakes so he is not absolutely top world class. But he is highly experienced and I reckon he is a better central defender than anyone on our books currently. Holding may have more potential - maybe, let's see. But he is much much better than Mustafi, and better than Sokratis.

I don't think it is such a bad move.

Gooner Sod 07 August, 2019 19:45
Quote:
djarse
I think people are under-estimating Luiz.
He played 50 times for Chelsea last season (the most for any central defender) and they had the 3rd best defence in the premiership. He played 280 times for Chelsea and PSG combined (Emery knows him form PSG, of course) and over 50 times for Brazil - most of these appearances were in central defence. And he is a proven winner, and a leader on the pitch.

Ok he does occasionally make spectacular mistakes so he is not absolutely top world class. But he is highly experienced and I reckon he is a better central defender than anyone on our books currently. Holding may have more potential - maybe, let's see. But he is much much better than Mustafi, and better than Sokratis.

I don't think it is such a bad move.

I agree, if we're not getting Umtiti, then Luiz is an alright addition. As mentioned, Chelsea conceeded less goals than Spurs who have Toby & Vertonghen in defence. Luiz was a regular so he can't be that bad.

However watch the British pundits rip this transfer to shreds like hes the worst defender of all time whilst hailing Maguire as a top signing at 80m.

Either way, i'm more interested in Holding coming up ASAP and into the starting 11.

MattySadler 07 August, 2019 20:17
Luiz is definitely better than the alternative, he just doesn't fit into the young, hungry, exciting model

Gooner Sod 07 August, 2019 21:42
Apparently the David Luiz deal is only for an 8m fee. Good bit of business.

tigerline 07 August, 2019 21:54
Can anyone familiar with watching PSG speak to the relationship between Emery and Luiz?
Luiz left after Emery's first year there.

djarse 07 August, 2019 22:23
Tierney deal finally agreed according to BBC:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Gooner Sod 07 August, 2019 22:26
Quote:
tigerline
Can anyone familiar with watching PSG speak to the relationship between Emery and Luiz?
Luiz left after Emery's first year there.

Emery said after he left he didn't want him to go. It was Luiz and PSG's decision to let him go back to Chelsea.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 22:33
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Apparently the David Luiz deal is only for an 8m fee. Good bit of business.

If that price is true then I agree it's a no brainer getting him.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 03:40
8mn is a steal for a premier league level player who still has some fitness left compared to cahill. Not the best signing but what are you gonna do.

Plus let us not get confused and say we d rather have sprint the pepe money on a defenders.

Upamecano is by no means a proven player and he is costing upwards of 70mn. These kind of deals depend on the structure and its possible Raul and co. trief but the other clubs didn't agree to structured payments like Lille did with Pepe.

None of us know what the actual transfer budget is. Saliba has also probably been bought on structured payments.

This is exactly why we are haggling over Tierney, they want more upfront.

At the moment anything better than mustafi would be a good signing. I'm not so sure luiz would be that, but i would think he makes lesser errors leading to goals compared to mustafi these days

djarse 08 August, 2019 08:23
Sky sports saying a Ligue 1 club are in for Mustafi today too - Xmas has come early !

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 08:38
Ornstein says we're confident of getting Tierney and Luiz done and dusted by the 5pm deadline.

Also some sketchy and unconfirmed Twitter rumours that we're trying to sign Ecuadorian defender Robert Arboleda from Sao Paulo. Wonder if Edu has something to do with this one?

Would be great if we could get Mustafi, Elneny and Mkhitaryan out as well, but not as confident about the last one given his wages.

Gooner Sod 08 August, 2019 08:48
Quote:
MattySadler
Ornstein says we're confident of getting Tierney and Luiz done and dusted by the 5pm deadline.
Also some sketchy and unconfirmed Twitter rumours that we're trying to sign Ecuadorian defender Robert Arboleda from Sao Paulo. Wonder if Edu has something to do with this one?

Would be great if we could get Mustafi, Elneny and Mkhitaryan out as well, but not as confident about the last one given his wages.

Those deals don't have to be done today. Those players can still leave to foreign clubs for another two weeks.

I'm guessing Elneny and Mustafi will move be moved on. Doubt Mkhitaryan will be going anywhere but he's the most useful of the 3 so not the end of the world.

This is probably the best transfer window ever for Arsenal.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 11:40
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
MattySadler

Those deals don't have to be done today. Those players can still leave to foreign clubs for another two weeks.

I'm guessing Elneny and Mustafi will move be moved on. Doubt Mkhitaryan will be going anywhere but he's the most useful of the 3 so not the end of the world.

Agreed. Considering the squad we started with, if all of this comes true, we can truly say we are acting like a big club. Esp cutting losses and getting rid of deadwood ruthlessly

Jonny Bravo 08 August, 2019 14:09
Considering we had so much to do in this transfer window dealing with legacy of past mistakes in terms of failed expensive transfers (Mustafi) and letting valuable assets go for nothing (Ramsey), we have done pretty well overall.
Granted we have kicked some problems down the road for next summer with the midfield and centre back positions, but given the bind Koscielny left us in, getting Luiz and Tierney in has probably brought us out ahead in the defensive department, if not to the level we would have all wanted.

We still have two weeks to shift Mustafi, and while he is probably a better defender than Chambers on his day, the sheer level of scrutiny and lack of patience with his erratic performances suggests pastures new would be as beneficial for him as it would be for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 14:12 by Jonny Bravo.

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 14:44
Quote:
Gooner Sod

Yep

goonerred 08 August, 2019 14:50
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
MattySadler

Mkhiky has had some good spells for us, just not been consistent. Let's hope he's due a good season?

djarse 08 August, 2019 16:04
Nketiah loan to Leeds officially confirmed

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 16:21
Amazingly we've got £3 million plus a sell-on clause for Dominic Thompson.

That's really good.

djarse 08 August, 2019 16:56
Tierney confirmed !

djarse 08 August, 2019 17:00
And Tierney wearing Number 3 on his shirt in the AFC website pics (as expected)

Merlion96 08 August, 2019 17:07
Scottish international Kieran Tierney has joined us from Celtic on a long-term deal.

The 22-year-old was born in the Isle of Man and had been with his boyhood club since the age of seven. He made 170 appearances for Celtic and has played 12 times for Scotland.

The defender completed a medical at London Colney on Thursday and will immediately join-up with his new team mates. He will wear the No 3 shirt.

Unai Emery said: “We’re delighted Kieran is joining us. He’s a very talented player who will continue to improve. He increases our options defensively and I look forward to him joining our group.”

The deal is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

[www.arsenal.com]

Born on Isle of Man?

Isn't that in England and he can be considered homegrown?

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Boston Gooner 19 August, 2019 23:26
Roma have reportedly lined up the season-long loan signing of Arsenal defender Shkodran Mustafi.

CazOnARola 20 August, 2019 06:52
With holding back this is perfect if true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2019 06:53 by CazOnARola.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net