Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Selling players
Discussion started by MattySadler , 24 June, 2019 17:27
Selling players
MattySadler 24 June, 2019 17:27
Over the past two or three seasons I know myself and a number of others have become pretty indifferent to the characters in our squad. Giroud, Ramsey and Welbeck were probably the last three I "liked" but have all left. Now I have a real "meh" feeling towards our players. Aside from talent and ability there's a lack of characters and personalities.

Aubameyang is getting on and is on big wages but he's a natural finisher and guarantees goals, and you could probably build more long term around the likes of Leno, Bellerin, Torreira, Guendouzi, Lacazette, etc, but even then they're (mostly) replaceable. The rest range from the "alright" and "okay" to the offensively rubbish.

There were rumours earlier this summer of an £80 million bid for Aubameyang and a big money move for Lacazette. Similarly Bellerin and Torreira have recently been linked with moves to Atletico and AC Milan respectively. I don't expect these big money bids to come in, but given our limited finances if they did personally I think we'd have to seriously consider our position.

Are there any players left at the club who you'd be particularly bothered about us selling?

Re: Selling players
Kalela 24 June, 2019 18:39
I don't want to see some of the upcoming youngsters sold. The only first team player I really want the club to keep is Rob Holding. He is a good defender and he is still fairly young. Hopefully this last injury won't reduce him to a shell of his former self.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2019 22:07 by Kalela.

Padre Pio 24 June, 2019 19:57
I would be sorry to Leno, Guendouzi and AMN go

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

goonerred 25 June, 2019 08:13
Leno and Guendouzi, possibly Torreria. Sad state of affairs when the players don't even excite us. I can't comment too much on our younger players, except to say that they can't do worse than the main lot and might show a bit more enthusiasm.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2019 10:51 by goonerred.

Bergmars 25 June, 2019 09:58
I don’t really consider one player who has shown over a season that they are of the quality Arsenal should aspire to or expect.My only concern at selling any one of them is what quality their replacement would be.I have zero faith in the owners or the people charged with the recruitment or path of the club and frankly the jury is well and truly out on the manager.
In conclusion it’s shambolic at best and I see little comfort for the immediate future.

Under new managment

Boston Gooner 25 June, 2019 11:19
Quote:
Bergmars
I don’t really consider one player who has shown over a season that they are of the quality Arsenal should aspire to or expect.My only concern at selling any one of them is what quality their replacement would be.I have zero faith in the owners or the people charged with the recruitment or path of the club and frankly the jury is well and truly out on the manager.
In conclusion it’s shambolic at best and I see little comfort for the immediate future.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

plonky 25 June, 2019 14:34
Holding, Iwobi and AMT.

MattySadler 25 June, 2019 15:57
Quote:
Kalela
I don't want to see some of the upcoming youngsters sold. The only first team player I really want the club to keep is Rob Holding. He is a good defender and he is still fairly young. Hopefully this last injury won't reduce him to a shell of his former self.

Yeah I thought about mentioning some of the younger players in my initial post as I'm a big supporter of the youngsters being given a chance, especially now.

Obviously I appreciate Holding, Maitland-Niles and Iwobi and I'm glad to have them in the squad, but at the moment I don't think any of them are outstanding.

It's been a long time since we last had a crop of youngsters on the fringes of the first team as good as this lot. At least one or two of Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Smith-Rowe, Amaechi, Saka, etc, have to make it here, surely!?

Shane 25 June, 2019 22:40
Quote:
MattySadler
Over the past two or three seasons I know myself and a number of others have become pretty indifferent to the characters in our squad. Giroud, Ramsey and Welbeck were probably the last three I "liked" but have all left. Now I have a real "meh" feeling towards our players. Aside from talent and ability there's a lack of characters and personalities.

This sums it up for me mate. 'Meh' is the perfect word and I couldn't agree more. There isn't a single Arsenal player I'd feel tempted to stop and ask for a photo if they walked past me in the street. I wouldn't tell the lads, or come on here and say anything about it. It'd just be like, 'Oh that's Mkhitaryan' and I'd forget about it.

I find watching Arsenal games to be a bit of a chore these days personally. Scoring big goals doesn't get me out of my seat. I don't feel nervousness in my stomach when we're trying to protect a lead with a few minutes left and they're in and around our penalty area. I sort of miss it.

Padre Pio 25 June, 2019 23:22
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
MattySadler

This sums it up for me mate. 'Meh' is the perfect word and I couldn't agree more. There isn't a single Arsenal player I'd feel tempted to stop and ask for a photo if they walked past me in the street. I wouldn't tell the lads, or come on here and say anything about it. It'd just be like, 'Oh that's Mkhitaryan' and I'd forget about it.

I find watching Arsenal games to be a bit of a chore these days personally. Scoring big goals doesn't get me out of my seat. I don't feel nervousness in my stomach when we're trying to protect a lead with a few minutes left and they're in and around our penalty area. I sort of miss it.

I stopped identifying with the players a long time back now.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler 26 June, 2019 10:48
Think a lot out of it for me dates back to when we used to have Walcott on media duties, nice enough bloke but no personality, never a leader, and always spoke about us having had a "team meeting" when things were going badly.

Remember when Wengee gave him the armband for that Chelsea game?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net