Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Kroenke
Discussion started by mapleleafgooner , 16 June, 2019 18:46
Kroenke
mapleleafgooner 16 June, 2019 18:46
By now, u should know my home basketball team, the Toronto Raptors, won the 2019 NBA title. (Sm128)

Raptors' president, Masai Ujiri, used to work for Kroenke at Denver Nuggets. Ujiri, a Nigerian, won the NBA Executive of the Year while he was with the Nuggets in 2013. He is credited with creating a team with no All-Star players and help the Nuggets win a franchise-record 57 games and went an NBA-best 38-3 at home to finish third in the powerful Western Conference.

When the Toronto Raptors decided to hire a new GM to take the Raptors to the playoffs, they went knocking on Ujiri's door with a 5 years deal worth $3M a year. Before the Nuggets, Ujiri worked for the Raptors as their AGM.

Now Denver has a history of paying its front-office architects below-market salaries, where Ujiri was one of the league's lowest paid GMs with an annual salary south of $1 million. Kroenke refused to match or better Toronto's offer to Ujiri and immediately after Ujiri joined the Raptors, the Raptors made the playoffs every year thanks to creative player trades and personnel decisions by Ujiri. 5 years later, Ujiri brought the Raptors their first NBA championship. Now Ujiri is being courted by the Washington Wizard with a $10M a year package with President Obama (a personal friend of Ujiri and a DC resident) trying to convince his friend to sign up. Let's see how the Raptors' management respond.

Morale of the story is if u want to succeed, u need to bring in the best (or close to the best) and u need to pay for top quality. 40M pounds of transfer fund isn't going to cut it for Arsenal in the highly competitive EPL.

Re: Kroenke
CazOnARola 16 June, 2019 19:55
Everton and co. Will probably outspend us. Dark days ahead

goonerred 17 June, 2019 06:27
Quote:
CazOnARola
Everton and co. Will probably outspend us. Dark days ahead

I think it is very likely if we don't clear out and improve. We keep looking to the top teams, but we need to watch out for a few teams below us too. How did it get to this?

Padre Pio 17 June, 2019 09:46
Wenger thought stagnation was ok, but you can’t just stagnate it becomes decline.
Now entering 4 th year out of CL that’s 160 millions lost, meanwhile revenue continues to drop

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Bergmars 17 June, 2019 13:42
Stand still and you fall behind to this day I cannot see what Wengers strategy was.

Under new managment

SuperRob 17 June, 2019 15:01
Don't know much about USA sports but it seems like the kse teams had good seasons last year? Didnt the nuggets make the playoffs for the first time in a long time? And the rams made the superbowl.

I know I'm clutching at straws hoping that kse have suddenly discovered some kind of winning formula, but we can only hope they have considering they aren't going anywhere.

BootyDaddy 17 June, 2019 16:37
In 2004 we were told by the time the stadium debt was paid off by 2010 we would be competing with the biggest clubs in the world.

It is now 2019 and our squad is closer to mid table standard than challenging for major honors.

What Kroenke has done to this club is nothing short of a disgrace.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio 17 June, 2019 17:49
Stadium debt was ta least 15 years from beginning but it was only 17 million a month

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Flava 18 June, 2019 07:34
I’ve just seen on the news there was a shooting at their victory parade. Hope everyone is ok

mapleleafgooner 20 June, 2019 16:15
Quote:
Flava
I’ve just seen on the news there was a shooting at their victory parade. Hope everyone is ok

Good news there were no deaths. They caught most of the idiots who pulled the trigger.
There was between 1.5 to 2 million people on the streets to watch the parade. Crowd control was an issue.

Shane 20 June, 2019 17:45
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Flava

Good news there were no deaths. They caught most of the idiots who pulled the trigger.
There was between 1.5 to 2 million people on the streets to watch the parade. Crowd control was an issue.

Do you live in Toronto mate? I've spent a bit of time there down the years. Top city with top people.

mapleleafgooner 21 June, 2019 04:06
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Flava

Do you live in Toronto mate? I've spent a bit of time there down the years. Top city with top people.

About an hour west of Toronto. Great city and mostly nice people though u get the occasional oddball. Traffic in the city is not that great though.

mapleleafgooner 21 June, 2019 04:09
Quote:
SuperRob
Don't know much about USA sports but it seems like the kse teams had good seasons last year? Didnt the nuggets make the playoffs for the first time in a long time? And the rams made the superbowl.
I know I'm clutching at straws hoping that kse have suddenly discovered some kind of winning formula, but we can only hope they have considering they aren't going anywhere.

Getting to the playoffs is like making it to 4th place aka Wenger cup.

Shane 21 June, 2019 12:20
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
About an hour west of Toronto. Great city and mostly nice people though u get the occasional oddball. Traffic in the city is not that great though.

There's a hell of a homeless problem isn't there. You literally have to step over them in the streets because they sleep in the middle of footpaths, lying on subway grates for the warmth.

But in general it's a very happy city full of very happy people I think. It's such a forward-thinking city compared to Dublin and other cities. I look at Toronto the way people look at Liverpool; they're showing everybody else how it's done.

Just to throw this in: One night we were out drinking and my debit card stops working completely. I can't withdraw any money and chip & pin transactions aren't going through. At this stage I'm separated from everybody else and alone, with no money, and too drunk to remember exactly where we were staying. If that wasn't bad enough, my phone also had no battery. Oh, and it's extremely cold, and all I had on was jeans and a Primark shirt. I'm genuinely fearing for my life, but I know the city well enough to know where a police station is. I go there and ask if I can use their phone, to ring my bank and see what the story is with my debit card. They oblige, after about 20 minutes of a bit of banter, and it turns out that if you make more than 10 transactions in a day, they suspend your card for 24 hours. Sound. Long story short, two of them give me $20 to tie me over for the next day and not only that, but they look up where I'm staying and one of them drops me back, in a police car! It was literally a five-minute walk, so a 40-second drive basically, but I hadn't realised that at the time. I was blown away by the gesture and that's one of the many reasons I fell in love with Toronto and the whole country.

I paid them back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2019 12:46 by Shane.

mapleleafgooner 23 June, 2019 14:09
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

There's a hell of a homeless problem isn't there. You literally have to step over them in the streets because they sleep in the middle of footpaths, lying on subway grates for the warmth.

But in general it's a very happy city full of very happy people I think. It's such a forward-thinking city compared to Dublin and other cities. I look at Toronto the way people look at Liverpool; they're showing everybody else how it's done.

Just to throw this in: One night we were out drinking and my debit card stops working completely. I can't withdraw any money and chip & pin transactions aren't going through. At this stage I'm separated from everybody else and alone, with no money, and too drunk to remember exactly where we were staying. If that wasn't bad enough, my phone also had no battery. Oh, and it's extremely cold, and all I had on was jeans and a Primark shirt. I'm genuinely fearing for my life, but I know the city well enough to know where a police station is. I go there and ask if I can use their phone, to ring my bank and see what the story is with my debit card. They oblige, after about 20 minutes of a bit of banter, and it turns out that if you make more than 10 transactions in a day, they suspend your card for 24 hours. Sound. Long story short, two of them give me $20 to tie me over for the next day and not only that, but they look up where I'm staying and one of them drops me back, in a police car! It was literally a five-minute walk, so a 40-second drive basically, but I hadn't realised that at the time. I was blown away by the gesture and that's one of the many reasons I fell in love with Toronto and the whole country.

I paid them back.

Great to know u met some great Torontonians! Yes homeless people sleeping on the streets is a major problem. The city does have shelters for them so not sure why they still choose to sleep on the sidewalks. In general it is a very safe city to get around though u do get the occasional oddballs.

Shane 23 June, 2019 20:40
Aye it's strange mate. I guess a lot of the homeless would also be drug addicts, and maybe they don't qualify for the shelters if they're using or something. Who knows. It's pretty sad though. I spent a full January and February there in 2017, when it was like minus 10 most nights, and christ knows how many of them freeze to death every week during the winter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net