Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Match against ManU - It is Rennes all over again
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 08 March, 2019 14:25
Match against ManU - It is Rennes all over again
Merlion96 08 March, 2019 14:25
Simply that every manager knew that counter-attacks down the flanks is so easy especially without any of the midfielders willing to track back and wingbacks stranded high up the pitch.

But one vital point in France was that from the very first minute, the team looked out of sorts with even Mkhi and Ozil kept misplacing passes. What is happening?

A sudden change of tactics that nobody understand?

Torreira?
After a scintillating 3 months, he is struggling now and look decidedly average and easily disposed off and rubbed off the ball all the time.
We lost a solid anchor in midfield now without a dynamic Torreira.
Hence, his suspension is no great miss and who will be stepping up to replace him?

Guendouzi?
C'mon, you are kidding. A brainless twit of a 19 year old cruelly exposed by Rennes. And if PSG willing to cough out 60-mil, grab the money and run!
His confidence is shot to pieces and worse, with the fans getting on his back, he will be trying too hard and destroyed team work. Best to bench him and even Elneny will provide better defensive cover than Guendouzi now.

AMN? Willock?
Like Wenger, Emery does not trust local talents then?
Surely, AMN or Willock can't do worse than a deflating Guendouzi now … with Arsenal fans braying for his blood?

Aubameyang?
Just drop him. He is getting from bad to worse and really, what was he doing on the pitch?

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. Leno

… Mustafi … Sokratis … Koscielny … Monreal

….. ….. Elneny ….. ….. ….. Xhaka

… Mkhitaryan ….. Ramsey ….. Iwobi

….. ….. ….. ….. Lacazette

That's all we have left in our locker now.

Mustafi is always better than AMN as RB.
We need Ramsey to shadow Pogba and battle it out like he did against Jorginho.

Lacazette is a street-fighter compare to a gadfly like Auba, skipping out of 50:50 ball in the ball a la Walcott.
As both Laca and Auba seem to lost their shooting boots, no difference if either will play but Laca shaded it with his ball holding ability and willing to fight it out in the box. Whereas Auba is found nowhere in the box but prefers to run in from deep and cut into the box.

We need our MDIFIELD to up their game to stand a chance against ManU.
But like against Man City, I cannot see any reason how we can beat ManU with this bunch of Wenger's leftovers.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Re: Match against ManU - It is Rennes all over again
goonerred 08 March, 2019 15:36
I thought we looked great last night for about 10-15 minutes, then we got sloppy, let them in, and Sokratis was sent off.
Anyway, Sunday is another one of those with my space behind the sofa ready.

Padre Pio 08 March, 2019 17:51
It’s at home and if we can keep 11 men, and Lacazette plays well it can be different.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gunnersingh1 08 March, 2019 18:01
I don't even need to watch Sunday's game to know what's going to happen. It's so boring and predictable.

We'll have the marotity of the ball and waste chances. Utd will hit us on the break and our dumb midfielders and defenders will be nowhere to be seen.

Am sick of the team and Emery and everthing to do with our club!

Boston Gooner 09 March, 2019 22:00
Apparently Henrikh Mkhitaryan was absent from the training ground today.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Merlion96 09 March, 2019 23:45
If Mkhi does not feature, then Emery is thinking on high to nullify ManU Martial-Lukaku-Rashford acctcking trio knowing that Arsenal is extremely vulnerable to pace down the flanks without tracking back from those failures at Rennes.

He will need to protect the flanks against crosses and cut-backs to Lukaku and Pogba.
He needed tracking back and full-backs will will stick to defensive duties instead of galloping down the flanks and have no engine to track back like 30+ year old Mkhi and Monreal; and a certain brainless 19-year old twit.

I will change the formation to stop ManU from playing first and hope Laca can convert a handful of chances we will certainly create.

….. ….. ….. ….. ….. Leno

… Mustafi … Sokratis … Koscielny … Monreal

….. Elneny ….. ….. Xhaka ….. ….. Kolasinac

… ….. Ramsey ….. ….. ..... Iwobi

….. ….. ….. ….. Lacazette

A Trio of Monreal-Kolasinac-Iwobi can protect the Left Flank.
And when Kolasinac is playing at wingback, do notice that he was given the licence to cut-in into centre with Monreal as LB and Iwobi interchanging role with him, i.e. when Kolasinac drove inward, Iwobi stays outside and vice-versa.

Right FLank is protected by a tough-tackling Mustafi (outside the box please) with Elneny and Ramsey helping out. We need Elneny, who is disciplined, to protect right-flank and at the same time, like Kolasinac, allows to cut in when Ramsey goes to right flank.

Centre?
We need the energy of Elneny and Ramsey to help out Xhaka to battle I tout; with Ramsey having the primary role of subduing Pogba.

Laca?
He is a street-fighter and we need him to rough-up ManU defenders and midfielder sin their own half.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Trent2000 10 March, 2019 00:06
Why play so defensive at home?

We need to attack to put them on the back foot.

We are a famed club and need to be feared in attack, not sit back and let them get into the rhythm of the game, especially at home.

Tired of letting other teams dictate the game to us, even inferior teams are doing it to us.

Padre Pio 10 March, 2019 00:30
Emery was criticised for being too offensive at Rennes, should have concentrated on defending more.
We have two of the leading goal scorers in the Prem so who says we will be defensive.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 10 March, 2019 02:02
Kolasinac, Ramsey, Iwobi and Lacazette are attacking threats; with Kolasinac the assist leaders.

Plus Xhaka should be playing as the regista, a deep-lying playmaker to vary our attacks, and to launch swift counter-attacks.

Trent2000 10 March, 2019 15:41
Rennes game changed with the red card, as simple as that and he did not adapt to it.

We score goals and attack, there is a very slight chance to have a shutout against a team like Man United.

SandyB 10 March, 2019 18:43
Great win against United even though the defense was really pathetic as an unit except some individual brilliance of Leno, Sokratis, Niles and Kolasinac. Midfield and offense looked sharp. As far as Rennes concerned we will still go through.

mapleleafgooner 10 March, 2019 18:58
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
I don't even need to watch Sunday's game to know what's going to happen. It's so boring and predictable.
We'll have the marotity of the ball and waste chances. Utd will hit us on the break and our dumb midfielders and defenders will be nowhere to be seen.

U were saying......

Padre Pio 10 March, 2019 19:30
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

U were saying......

I thought it was quite enjoyable, I know the fans around me did as well

SandyB 14 March, 2019 22:30
Quote:
SandyB
Great win against United even though the defense was really pathetic as an unit except some individual brilliance of Leno, Sokratis, Niles and Kolasinac. Midfield and offense looked sharp. As far as Rennes concerned we will still go through.
As I said, have faith. (Sm152)

Padre Pio 14 March, 2019 23:57
You were right Merl it was Rennes all over again, but back to front

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net