Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Man City
Discussion started by MattySadler , 03 February, 2019 18:39
Player Ratings vs. Man City
MattySadler 03 February, 2019 18:39
Leno - 7. Couldn't have done much about the goals but made a number of good saves to keep things respectable.

Lichtsteiner - 3. I find I've written the same things about him every game. I never expected him to be the same player he was physically, but he's generally clueless.
Mustafi - 5. Could've conceded a penalty. Dives in too much.
Koscielny - 7. Pick of the defenders. Scored.
Monreal - 6. Didn't do anything wrong. Good flick on for our goal.

Iwobi - 3. At fault for their early opener. Offered nothing, offensively or defensively, on the right.
Torreira - 7. Had a lot on his plate today but I thought he did well.
Guendouzi - 8. Where do I start? Best player on the park in the first half and our best player overall. At 19 he was our most mature, composed player and the only one who really stepped up.
Kolasinac - 6. Bizarrely played a weird type of left winger/ free role in the first half and ended up being our biggest attacking threat.

Lacazette - 6. Worked hard but offered little support/ service. No impact on the second half.
Aubameyang - 5. Offered little support/ service, but didn't effect the game.

Subs:

Ramsey - 5. Okay but the game was lost.
Suarez - 4. Not the best debut under difficult circumstances.
Mavropanos - N/A. Not on long, but good to see him back.

Well firstly everyone thought we were going with 5/3 at the back, but we surprisingly went with a 4-4-2. We couldn't have got off to a worse start after Iwobi got caught in possession and City capitalised through Aguero. After a very nervy first 10, however, we settled into our shape, defended much better and even equalised. We were right in it up until the end of the first half, where City's superior quality saw Aguero score again.

Second half was all City and a third goal was inevitable.

That certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but maybe, just maybe, we could've done better today if we'd bought in a defender or two?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 12:05 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Man City
goonerred 03 February, 2019 18:44
Guendouzi was very good. His biggest fault in my opion is not releasing the ball quickly enough, He either takes on one player too many or dallies on it and loses it. Other than that, I'm very impressed with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 19:24 by goonerred.

hahanice 03 February, 2019 18:47
Leno - 7. Couldn't have done much about the goals but made a number of good saves to keep things respectable.

Lichtsteiner - 1. when a team scores all of their goals by beating you, your trash.
Mustafi - 5. Could've conceded a penalty. Dives in too much.
Koscielny - 7. Pick of the defenders. Scored.
Monreal - 6. Didn't do anything wrong. Good flick on for our goal.

Iwobi - 5. Actually thought he was good. worked hard and good in possession. minus 1 for the first goal
Torreira - 7. Had a lot on his plate today but I thought he did well.
Guendouzi - 9. maybe the best player at the club at 19? was dominant in the MF, i give him an extra point for doing that away at city
Kolasinac - 6. Bizarrely played a weird type of left winger/ free role in the first half and ended up being our biggest attacking threat.

Lacazette - 5. Worked hard but offered little support/ service. No impact on the second half.
Aubameyang - 5. Offered little support/ service, but didn't effect the game.

Subs:

Ramsey - 5. Okay but the game was lost.
Suarez - 4. Not the best debut under difficult circumstances.
Mavropanos - N/A. Not on long, but good to see him back.

Gunnersingh1 03 February, 2019 20:37
guendouzi, Sokratis, Welbeck and Monreal are the only players at the club with the right mind frame.

Torreira could be but he needs to be braver on the ball and not pass backwards the majority of time.

younghansolo 03 February, 2019 21:00
Why on earth did we play Suarez at all. We were always going to lose so why not let him start in the right frame of mind rather than give him a setback before he even started.

Did Ozil not get on then? I mean @#$%& hell what is the manager thinking

MattySadler 03 February, 2019 21:25
Says it all about how bad Lichtsteiner has been that everyone has calling for Carl f*cking Jenkinson to start ahead of him

Boston Gooner 03 February, 2019 21:29
Quote:
MattySadler
Says it all about how bad Lichtsteiner has been that everyone has calling for Carl f*cking Jenkinson to start ahead of him

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

MattySadler 04 February, 2019 08:13
Quote:
younghansolo
Did Ozil not get on then? I mean @#$%& hell what is the manager thinking

I totally get wanting Ozil gone, and support it myself, especially because of the financial reasons, but I agree while he's here we should try get our money's worth out of him.

I mean, we had our two hot shot strikers on the pitch at the same time yesterday and created nothing for them. Second half they barely touched the ball.

Unfortunately we're outclassed by City in every department (bar history, yay), on and off the pitch, and that was reflected in the lineups...

goonerred 04 February, 2019 10:40
Let's face facts,most of our squad is made up of mediocre players. We need to start culling and buy better. Got to wait for summer to do that now, I'm not even sure we will with Kroenke holding the purse strings. I don't think we'll see any change in this club until he's gone. I'll eat my Arsenal scarf if I'm wrong.

MattySadler 04 February, 2019 14:20
22% of the league goals that we have conceded this season have come from individual errors.

djarse 04 February, 2019 16:07
BBC radio commentators on the game yesterday kept complaining about Auba and Lacazette not doing any pressing / chasing back etc - referred to them both as "passengers". Not seen that reflected in any comments here. Would be interesting to know their running distance stats for yesterday, and generally whether the team's distance stats that were so high earlier in the season have dropped off or not - feels like they have.

goonerred 04 February, 2019 16:21
Quote:
djarse
BBC radio commentators on the game yesterday kept complaining about Auba and Lacazette not doing any pressing / chasing back etc - referred to them both as "passengers". Not seen that reflected in any comments here. Would be interesting to know their running distance stats for yesterday, and generally whether the team's distance stats that were so high earlier in the season have dropped off or not - feels like they have.

I remember seeing both of them back in defence, they had no choice in the second half. No service from midfield and the action mostly in our final third, it was that kind of game.

Merlion96 04 February, 2019 16:46
I can't fault the team for effort.
Just that they were simply out-classed and Emery was clueless as to how to change the shape of the team during 2nd half. He was just a hapless bystander like Arsenal fans witnessing a car crash.

Not true that Laca and Auba did not pressed.
They were tracking back, helping out in the defence in the box.
You can't expect them to chase shadows all day long as like Adebayor covering all blades of grass on the pitch and utterly exhausted by 70th minute.

Remember Guardiola Philosophy?
#1 - Let the ball does the running and not players running after the ball?
#2 - Compressed plays within a 30 yard zone so that when ball is lost, you have less distance to cover instantly pressing the opponent?

That worked perfectly against Arsenal with quick passing and players in position to receive passes.

Whereas Arsenal players were not well-drilled nor have that instant first touch to pass on the ball. How many times have you seen Guendouzi looking for a clear passing channel and players moving into space to receive a quick pass?

The only players with peripheral vision is Torreira who upon receiving the ball, with a quick swivel to avoid pressing, move and pass onto the ball. Torreira avoided quick pressing with his intelligent movement and closed control. Just that Man City closed down passing channels quickly and out players simply do not have the intelligence to move quickly into space or well coached yet to do that.

Most people slagged Ozil for not doing enough, for not pressing and contributed nothing.
But so many are so biased against him and failed to notice his passing range, his movement and the way he dragged players out of position to open up passing channel and clear opening for his team-mates to run into.

That is what a creative playmaker is.
And what we were lacking against Man City.
Just a team of journeymen trying to string 2 or 3 passes together and simply lack the vision to create plays in the final third.

Put it this way.
If Zidane or Platini is in the team, Emery will bench them immediately for not tracking back and failing to follow his instruction to track back and press instantly after the ball is lost.

Romario? Diego Costa?
Emery will drop them instantly for lack of work rate, just standing around waiting for a pass and refusing to help out in defence.

I would be very surprise if we finished 5th, let alone 4th.
My consolation is watching the development of Guendouzi, Torreira, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Mavopanos and Holding under Emery Era and hope all of them will develop as rapidly as Guendouzi by season end.
Something to look forward to next season.

Resiss Nelson?
I don't rate him and consider him as another Big-Head David Bentley.
Hope he proved me wrong next season.

Overall, I see Man City is the turning point with players all up their work rate and the team was simply out-classed.
It broods well for the next 13 games as they shown their teeth and can fight.
They will not rollover like 2017/18 team.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net