Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Cardiff
Discussion started by MattySadler , 29 January, 2019 21:59
Player Ratings vs. Cardiff
MattySadler 29 January, 2019 21:59
Leno - 6. Little to do, which is surprising considering how many chances Cardiff had.

Lichtsteiner - 5. Loses out too easily. Offers very little.
Mustafi - 6. Struggled in the first half, better in the second, where he also made a very good block.
Monreal - 6. Bit like Mustafi he had a much better second half.
Kolasinac - 6. Great run to win the penalty. Didn't bomb forward as much as he usually tends to, and when he did his final pass wasn't great.

Elneny - 4. Why? I'm baffled.
Torreira - 6. Looked better in the second half.
Guendouzi - 8. Thought he was our best player. Lively and passed well, and boy does he get fouled a lot.
Ozil - 6. Okay first half. Quiet second half.

Aubameyang - 6. +1 for a well taken penalty, but that was about it.
Lacazette - 7. Worked hard throughout. Could've had a penalty. Sealed it with a great solo goal.

Subs:

Iwobi - 6. Once he got going I thought he changed the game.
Jenkinson - 5. Didn't do much.
Ramsey - 5. Didn't make much of an impact but still could've scored two.

Not a great performance but an important three points, and that's what matters, especially with United drawing. I'm just glad Cardiff didn't have their shooting boots on.

I'm sympathetic because we have 4 pretty important defenders out injured and any team would struggle with that, but I just can't understand the decision to start Elneny.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2019 16:57 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Cardiff
MattySadler 29 January, 2019 22:20
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyHHXarWsAE58ZK.jpg

Congratulatory hug on a fine performance.

PKGooner 29 January, 2019 22:20
Jenkinson has to start over Lichstiener surely. There is nothing he does worse than Lichsteiner and he can actually move.

Thought Iwobi changed the game for us. Him and Kolasinac often provide the only threat we offer in terms of creating anything. Quite sad.

I can see us getting hammered at City on Sunday. Keeping them down to 3 goals will be a pretty decent result to be honest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2019 22:21 by PKGooner.

hahanice 29 January, 2019 22:23
Leno - 7. Thought he was decent. made 2 good saves (routine). kicking was excellent

Lichtsteiner - 5. Not bad I guess
Mustafi - 6. Struggled in the first half, better in the second, where he also made a very good block.
Monreal - 6. Bit like Mustafi he had a much better second half.
Kolasinac - 7. good performance from him. always a threat. won a penalty and defended well.

Elneny - 6. Not sure why he started either, but he was about as good as everyone else. no better no worse
Torreira - 7. poor in the first, really good in the second.
Guendouzi - 8. Thought he was our best player. Lively and passed well, and boy does he get fouled a lot.
Ozil - 5. don't remember a single thing he did. he got shrugged off the ball one time that was so bad it embarrassed me.

Aubameyang - 6. Sloppy from him tonight but a good pen.
Lacazette - 8. Scored the winner and drew what should have been 2 clear pens.

Subs:

Iwobi - 7. Changed the game
Jenkinson - 6. Better than Lichsteiner for sure. looked decent.
Ramsey - 7. I thought he was excellent in his cameo. created all sorts of problems. wasteful though.

Emery - 7. Really shouldn't be starting 3 holding midfielders in a game against cardiff at home. Got the3 points though.

MattySadler 29 January, 2019 22:26
Quote:
hahanice
Ozil - 5. don't remember a single thing he did. he got shrugged off the ball one time that was so bad it embarrassed me.

Ah yes was that the one at the end of the first half? That was pathetic.

Padre Pio 29 January, 2019 22:44
Its obvious why Elneny started, to give Xhaka a rest. We had a match Friday and have a tough one away on Sunday, so the squad had to be balanced out. Should have been enough to see Cardiff off, and it was. Not always pretty but we ground it out.
Good to see Monreal back

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler 30 January, 2019 07:29
Just shows what a bad player/ signing Elneny has been for us when he can't even make it out for the second half against Cardiff.

MattySadler 30 January, 2019 07:36
Aubameyang has become our fastest player to hit 25 Premier League goals, in just 37 appearances, and the fifth-fasted in Premier League history.

SuperRob 30 January, 2019 08:08
Kolasinac was at fault for their goal.

Gooner Sod 30 January, 2019 12:42
Quote:
SuperRob

Nothing new there. The guy would have been a very good player if he had an engine and can defend. I'd rather Monreal starts at LB when Kos is fit. We can use Kolasinac as impact sub or even on the wing depending on the game.

Padre Pio 30 January, 2019 14:49
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
SuperRob

Nothing new there. The guy would have been a very good player if he had an engine and can defend. I'd rather Monreal starts at LB when Kos is fit. We can use Kolasinac as impact sub or even on the wing depending on the game.

Very much agree, as a defender he is a good attacker

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 30 January, 2019 21:57
Like Gareth Bale, a LB converted into a left winger?

'Every footballer has a humanitarian role in society. He doesn't live solely for himself, but for others too.' Mohamed Aboutrika, (a face of hope reflected in Tahrir Square).

younghansolo 01 February, 2019 16:06
Quote:
Merlion96
he's more of a run down the line and square it kind of guy. Bale always had more about him

mapleleafgooner 03 February, 2019 00:53
Quote:
Merlion96

Bale can dribble and can score. While I like Kolasinac, it is not a fair comparison.

MattySadler 03 February, 2019 09:11
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Merlion96

Bale can dribble and can score. While I like Kolasinac, it is not a fair comparison.

Be fair maple, they are both humans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net