Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Monchi and Cagigao?
Discussion started by MattySadler , 22 January, 2019 11:25
Monchi and Cagigao?
MattySadler 22 January, 2019 11:25
Rumours we are looking to add Roma Director of Football Monchi as our technical director, having apparently been rejected by former players Edu and Marc Overmars.

Monchi previously worked with Unai Emery at Sevilla, where he was apparently responsible for setting up a "network of over 700 scouts around the world" discovering a number of top players including Sergio Ramos and Ivan Rakitic, before moving to Roma.

Along with these rumours are further rumours we could be set to ask scout Francis Cagigao to step up as our new Head of Recruitment following Sven Mislintat's departure. Personally I think this would be thoroughly deserved as he has been an excellent scout for us. He was behind the Fabregas signing and also highly recommend Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique at around the same time, but we weren't able to sign them.

With Monchi possibly coming in and Cagigao possibly stepping up, plus Emery and Sanllehi, there's a real Spanish feel around the place!

Re: Monchi and Cagigao?
MattySadler 23 February, 2019 14:49
According to reports today Monchi is going to leave his role at Roma on 30th June to join up with us.

tigerline 23 February, 2019 15:09
Matty, is there anything in these guys’ histories that would reflect upon their ability to better evaluate our academy talent and make recommendations for certain players to be integrated into the first team. With our limited financial outlay becoming more likely, we need a clear-eyed assessment of the talent already on hand.

younghansolo 23 February, 2019 15:12
Even for directors we try to do things on the cheap. This club is an absolute disgrace. I have no love at all for the current administration. Sadly I think they will still be around long after I'm gone the way that Stan is building a family empire

SuperRob 23 February, 2019 22:21
Quote:
younghansolo
Even for directors we try to do things on the cheap. This club is an absolute disgrace. I have no love at all for the current administration. Sadly I think they will still be around long after I'm gone the way that Stan is building a family empire

Not sure about that. According to the reports, some of Europe's biggest clubs want to sign monchi this summer including utd and psg so on the face of it he seems like a top tier candidate. Certainly much more proven in the role than mislintat

BootyDaddy 24 February, 2019 07:50
What is the point in employing these guys when we do not give them the resources to do their job, i.e. why Mslintat left after a short time.

More importantly why would any person with the slightest ambition want to come to Arsenal? We are a joke of a club.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SuperRob 24 February, 2019 10:41
Quote:
BootyDaddy
What is the point in employing these guys when we do not give them the resources to do their job, i.e. why Mslintat left after a short time.
More importantly why would any person with the slightest ambition want to come to Arsenal? We are a joke of a club.

We have a huge amount of money. We just manage it badly. We also lack any kind of technical strategy or direction.

Most clubs have to make a profit on their transfer activity. We have one of the largest net spends each year, yet we have an average squad.

Arsenal is a sleeping giant. There is a huge opportunity for someone to come in and sort out our wage structure and transfer policy, and define our strategy for the next 5 years. And they'll have a comparatively huge budget with which to do it compared to the likes of Roma, Sevilla, Dortmund or Spurs.

Mistlintat left because he was promised that opportunity by Gazidis, and then Raul took over and for whatever reason, decided he wanted someone else to do it instead of giving Sven the promotion

MattySadler 24 February, 2019 20:34
Quote:
tigerline
Matty, is there anything in these guys’ histories that would reflect upon their ability to better evaluate our academy talent and make recommendations for certain players to be integrated into the first team. With our limited financial outlay becoming more likely, we need a clear-eyed assessment of the talent already on hand.

A number of big players broke through at Sevilla during Monchi's time as Director of Football. The best example is Sergio Ramos, others include Reyes, Jesus Navas, Diego Capel, Alberto Moreno and Luis Alberto, all of whom were sold for good money.

Monchi began the role after Sevilla were relegated and were in financial trouble, so his job would've been to buy smart and bring through youth players.

This is a good read.

I like this part:

Quote:
Monchi pulls out his phone and, carefully reducing the image so the names can’t be seen, says: “That gives us this.” A colour-coded spreadsheet shows players by position. Around 250 potential targets, in all positions. “The manager says: ‘I want a left-back who averages 11km a game, runs 800m at full speed, uses both feet.’ And from these, 10 will fit.”

Having two really athletic, attacking full backs is pretty vital to the way Emery wants to play!

tigerline 25 February, 2019 01:58
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
tigerline

A number of big players broke through at Sevilla during Monchi's time as Director of Football. The best example is Sergio Ramos, others include Reyes, Jesus Navas, Diego Capel, Alberto Moreno and Luis Alberto, all of whom were sold for good money.

Monchi began the role after Sevilla were relegated and were in financial trouble, so his job would've been to buy smart and bring through youth players.

This is a good read.

I like this part:

Quote:
Monchi pulls out his phone and, carefully reducing the image so the names can’t be seen, says: “That gives us this.” A colour-coded spreadsheet shows players by position. Around 250 potential targets, in all positions. “The manager says: ‘I want a left-back who averages 11km a game, runs 800m at full speed, uses both feet.’ And from these, 10 will fit.”

Having two really athletic, attacking full backs is pretty vital to the way Emery wants to play!

Thanks. Good read indeed.
Now, I am really looking forward to what he can do here.
He certainly fits Kroenke’s prioritization of profits.

MattySadler 25 February, 2019 06:52
Quote:
tigerline

I know "prioritisation of profits" doesn't exactly in with our wildest football dreams but I think given our situation it is just the way it has to be.

tigerline 25 February, 2019 11:20
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
tigerline

I know "prioritisation of profits" doesn't exactly in with our wildest football dreams but I think given our situation it is just the way it has to be.

Agreed.
Let’s play these cards as best we can.

Boston Gooner 15 March, 2019 19:40
Sevilla in talks with Monchj apparently.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

djarse 17 March, 2019 12:44
And he seems to have gone to Sevilla according to Sky

Mind you if that means we get Overmars and a chance to get Matthijs de Ligt with him, that's no bad thing: [en.wikipedia.org]

Boston Gooner 18 March, 2019 17:10
Quote:
djarse
And he seems to have gone to Sevilla according to Sky
Mind you if that means we get Overmars and a chance to get Matthijs de Ligt with him, that's no bad thing: [en.wikipedia.org]

Overmars extended his Ajax contract until 2024.

MattySadler 18 March, 2019 17:39
So no Monchi or Overmars. I wonder where we'll turn now...

Edu?

MattySadler 18 March, 2019 17:41
Roma President James Pallotta on Monchi:

"He asked me to trust him & let him do it his way. We gave him complete control & now we have more injuries than we’ve ever had & are in danger of missing out on finishing in the Top 3 for the first time since 2014"

Dodged a bullet?

Boston Gooner 18 March, 2019 23:10
Apparently Former Arsenal midfielder and head of youth scouting Steve Morrow is under consideration.

(Sm22)

celine dion 24 March, 2019 18:57
Ive got an Italian mate supports Roma. He hates Monchi. Blames him for more or less dismantling the Rome squad and replacing it with sh*t players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net