Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Joel Campbell
Discussion started by MattySadler , 03 September, 2015 15:02
Joel Campbell
MattySadler 03 September, 2015 15:02
I know he isn't exactly the most popular player on the forum, but I genuinely believe that Welbeck is our best option upfront after Giroud. Alexis is probably better being deployed deeper/ wider. When he played upfront last season we often lacked a focal point. One notable example is when he started upfront away to West Ham, with Welbeck on the left. We lacked a focal point and struggled, so we switched Welbeck and Alexis around and immediately looked better, with Welbeck scoring the winner. I'm still not fully convinced by Walcott upfront either. I prefer him on the right, and the thing about Walcott is that an injury is never really far away.

With the news that Welbeck is now out for the foreseeable future, we're literally left with Giroud as our only recognised centre forward. So, could Joel Campbell be the answer?

In the past when we've had foreign players out on loan trying to get work permits, I haven't really cared too much. I didn't really follow the trials and tribulations of Carlos Vela, Pedro Botelho and Wellington Silva. With Joel Campbell it was different. At around the same time we signed Campbell, I wanted us to sign this Andy Polo guy who wowed me in a number of YouTube videos. We went for JC instead and I decided to keep track of him.

During the 2011/12 season he went on loan to Lorient in France. The then 18/ 19 year old made 11 starts in all competitions and featured a further 16 times off the bench, mostly playing as a centre forward, and got 4 goals and 3 assists. Nothing overly spectacular but he impressed. 2012/13 he went to Real Betis in Spain. He made 25 starts and 7 substitute appearances, mostly playing on the right or left wing, and got 2 goals and 3 assists, including a worldie strike against Deportivo. Finally, in 2013/14 he went to Olympiacos in Greece and really impressed. In all competitions he made 35 starts and 8 sub appearances, mostly on the right wing but occasionally upfront or on the left, and got 8 goals and 11 assists, including a great strike against Man United in the Champions League. He had impressed suitably and got his work permit and, just to wet our appetites more, he got a goal and an assist in Costa Rica's 3-1 victory against Uruguay at the 2014 World Cup.

I was pretty excited knowing that he'd finally get our chance here, but was left pretty disappointed in the end. In his first start, against Southampton in the League Cup, he looked unfit and struggled with the pace of the English game. He disappeared for a while and only featured fleetingly with very infrequent appearances. He then started against Hull in the FA Cup in January and looked much better. He appeared fitter and able to keep up with the pace, and was very unlucky not to score. He signed a new contract before leaving on loan to Villareal in Spain, as part of our deal to sign Gabriel. It wasn't as good as his previous loan spells. He made 18 starts and 4 substitute appearances in all competitions, either upfront, on the right wing or on the left, and got 1 goal.

Now many, including myself, expected Joel Campbell to leave permanently this summer. He was linked with moves away to clubs in Spain, Italy, Portugual and Turkey, as well as England. So here we are now. For whatever reason, JC is still at the club and was on the bench last week. The likelihood is that Wenger blocked any moves away for Campbell because he knew about the Welbeck injury and he knew he wasn't going to get anyone else in. However, prior to Campbell going out on loan to Villareal, Wenger said that he saw Campbell as part of his long term plans, but thought he needed to go out and get game time. So maybe, just maybe, Wenger intended on keeping Campbell all along. In fact, just last week, when discussing the 23 year old, Wenger said:

Quote:
At the moment he is here and personally I would like to keep him. I will have to sit down with Joel because I rate him highly as a player and personally if he stays here I am very happy.

Regardless of whether it was intended or not, Joel Campbell is here and it is highly likely that he will get game time at some point. Campbell is fast, skilful, direct and can finish. He has also proven that he can play anywhere across a front three.

Could Joel Campbell be the answer upfront? He may have to be!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2015 15:03 by MattySadler.

Re: Joel Campbell
tigerline 03 September, 2015 15:54
Good write-up.

JC got my attention in CONCACAF world cup qualifying. he was the best player anywhere in that competition, which was covered extensively by USA channels. It seemed that he would do something in every match to pull his team along.

I agree that his Arsenal career has been a real disappointment, but I still feel that this opportunity might pay off for all of us.

MattySadler 03 September, 2015 16:28
He'll be 24 at the end of this season so it is make or break time for him.

Flava 03 September, 2015 17:32
Walcott's not the answer. Campbell looked good in the World Cup but hasn't lived up to that. If Giroud got injured I'd go with Alexis up front with Walcott on the right and Ox on the left.

I can't wait to see a Campbell, Ramsey, Rosicky front 3....FML

Moax25-04-04 03 September, 2015 17:56
Good bit of business keeping Campbell to be honest.

I see what wengers doing, while I feel he is trying to to an admirable thing (trying to win the league without doing what city, Chelsea and that do) I just wish he wouldn't do it with arsenal.
It's really sad to say that most of us want us to act like those teams.

This transfer season don't forget He kept all his useful players (some not so useful) and he signed Cech. So it's not all bad.

#wenger out

MattySadler 03 September, 2015 18:16
I'm sure if Campbell somehow does score a few goals, Wenger will claim that is the reason he didn't sign another forward and he'll revered as a genius again.

As I said in the original post, I liked the look of Campbell pre-2014/15, so I'd love the guy to do a Coquelin and his Arsenal career around. I wouldn't bank on it though.

It's not about wanting to do what City and Chelsea do and buying success. The core of our team is made up of a lot of players who have been here for a long time. A lot of young players. It is about adding quality in the required areas to help that core achieve success. We've failed to do that and are probably in for another season of the same old, same old.

CazOnARola 03 September, 2015 18:25
Not the same old since this team has a lot of good players compared to before. Hence the expectations are higher.

Jack_is_the_truth 03 September, 2015 18:45
Walcott will end up being our top scorer, it's clear now why Wenger wouldn't start him on the right with Giroud uptop

He doesn't want to risk losing Both, which is tragic because them on the right providing width and pace will be the perfect foil for Giroud plodding

Campbell will probably never play up top, he will most likely play on the right if the ox gets injured

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Beyond 03 September, 2015 19:04
What's the point of keeping Campbell if you are not interested in playing him? I don't think he's good but if Sanogo is given the chances to play then he should too. The reason why he's still here could be because Wenger failed to get a striker. Now even without a new striker, I still can't see him getting games and he would be shipped out in Jan or next summer.

mapleleafgooner 03 September, 2015 19:54
Recall Sanogo as a fix for Welback non availability? I am sure that could be Wenger's "internal solution" approach.

Flava 03 September, 2015 21:04
Get out while you can Joel. Oh hang on a minute, stay for another month or two

Bergmars 04 September, 2015 07:54
put this well known phrase in order at straws grasping

Under new managment

MattySadler 10 December, 2015 10:39
He may be playing out wide instead of upfront, but I think this thread is actually looking like a decent shout. I knew I saw something in Joel Campbell during his loan spells and I'm so happy he is taking his chance here.

Despite his goal at Swansea his first few appearances this season weren't really anything to write home about. His fitness was poor, he looked slow and he lacked quality on the ball. With the likes of Alexis, Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Welbeck and Oxlade-Chamberlain all injured we were in dire need of somebody to step up, or we could have been in big trouble. With his workrate and finishing ability, he has gradually got better as his fitness and match sharpness improved, and he looks very handy in the final third.

Wenger said in the summer that he wanted another player to step up as a regular goalscorer for us alongside Giroud, Alexis, Walcott and Ramsey. Most of us, including myself, looked to the likes of Welbeck, Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain to step up as "internal solutions", or at potential external signings we could make. Maybe he has found a possible goalscorer in this season's Coquelin? As someone on here said last night, at the moment he is playing his way to an Arsenal career.

moaxthe2nd 10 December, 2015 13:24
As I originally said, good bit of business holding on to him. It's nice that we have him as an option upfront but it would be unfair on jc to start moving him around the pitch, look how long it took him to settle on the wing.
If ever we are giroud-less and ozil-less I really like the thought of using Ramsey as a false. 9 and having Walcott and alexis on the wings.
I doubt wenger agrees with me though.

It's nice to still have options dispite the injurys and wengers lack of spending!

MattySadler 10 December, 2015 16:05
I'm not suggesting we suddenly move him upfront, I'm just patting myself on the back for picking him out as the one to potentially turn his Arsenal career around this season.

Flava 10 December, 2015 16:48
He's got some stones that's for sure. He was only being used as a last resort. A run of games and he's starting to look like a proper player. That assist last night was fantastic.

plonky 10 December, 2015 17:09
He is still in deficit for that babies dummy celebration on Saturday.

Flava 10 December, 2015 19:51
That is a good point. That celebration is sh.it

ticonb 10 December, 2015 22:01
Celebration with binky is Campbell honoring his little girl, he uses the same celebration with the Costa Rican national team. So it is great.. you know love of family. What do you want Ronaldo's love of self celebration?

Gunnersingh1 10 December, 2015 22:23
His pass to Giroud was astonishing. One of the best assist I've ever seen.

The weight of the pass and the angle had to be perfect, Messi would have been proud of it.

plonky 10 December, 2015 23:13
Quote:
ticonb
Celebration with binky is Campbell honoring his little girl, he uses the same celebration with the Costa Rican national team. So it is great.. you know love of family. What do you want Ronaldo's love of self celebration?

Like most premeditated goal celebrations he loked like an idiot fiddling with his cock Why doesn't he just share his happiness with us fans who pay his wages. And wtf is a binky.

Merlion96 11 December, 2015 00:27
Quote:
MattySadler

Quote:
At the moment he is here and personally I would like to keep him. I will have to sit down with Joel because I rate him highly as a player and personally if he stays here I am very happy.

Doesn't it remind you of a certain Coquelin which he tried to sell to BRUM last season and only to recalled him from Charlton in December 2014 due to injuries to Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey and Wilshere?

Certainly, I am happy for Joel's determination to stay in the summer to fight for a spot in senior team with his asshole of an agent hawking him all over Europe.

Like Coquelin 2014, with the squad decimated, Campbell is the "last man standing" to seize the opportunity to takeover from Alexis, Wilshere, Welbeck, OX and Walcott (rotated back as center-forward) as the flank forward.

Campbell is a certainly a revelation of what we are missing at the right-flank - a pacy right-midfielder who can score, creative playmaking, a box-to-box runner with defensive skills to close down opponents and tracking back to support the RB.

MattySadler 11 December, 2015 07:28
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
MattySadler

Quote:

Doesn't it remind you of a certain Coquelin which he tried to sell to BRUM last season and only to recalled him from Charlton in December 2014 due to injuries to Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey and Wilshere?

Certainly, I am happy for Joel's determination to stay in the summer to fight for a spot in senior team with his asshole of an agent hawking him all over Europe.

Like Coquelin 2014, with the squad decimated, Campbell is the "last man standing" to seize the opportunity to takeover from Alexis, Wilshere, Welbeck, OX and Walcott (rotated back as center-forward) as the flank forward.

Campbell is a certainly a revelation of what we are missing at the right-flank - a pacy right-midfielder who can score, creative playmaking, a box-to-box runner with defensive skills to close down opponents and tracking back to support the RB.

Yes it reminds me a lot of the Coquelin situation last season, that is why I said it. Our squad was left incomplete and ill-prepared and we've got very lucky that someone previously viewed surplus to requirements has been able to turn things around in the midst of an injury crisis.

To be fair to him though, Wenger did say in a couple of interviews BEFORE this season that he liked Campbell and wanted to keep him. He obviously saw something in him. Campbell could've easily been sold or loaned out to a Prem or European side. Welbeck's injury and our lack of activity in the transfer market are the only reasons we didn't move JC on.

Merlion96 12 December, 2015 02:02
It will be interesting to see Campbell against Villa with his tail up now, without the handbrake of worrying how to dove-tail into existing setup.

MattySadler 09 March, 2016 10:48
Joel Campbell voted fans Man of the Match against Hull last night. Would've rated Iwobi and Giroud ahead of him personally as he was a bit c rap at the start, but it is great to see how well he has done this season against all odds. He has come from probably being on the verge of leaving to being viewed as a valuable part of the first team squad. I don't think many would pick Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain ahead of him now. Who could've pictured that at the start of the season!?

His success is down to hard work and greater intelligence on and off the ball, which unfortunately the two Englishmen have just been unable to match this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2016 16:51 by MattySadler.

mapleleafgooner 09 March, 2016 15:54
Campbell's passing is much better than Alexis.

Optimistic Gunner 09 March, 2016 17:28
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Campbell's passing is much better than Alexis.

that is not a surprise as Alexis is on of the worst passers in our squad

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Padre Pio 09 March, 2016 17:55
I think passing is the least of Alexis priorities

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler 09 March, 2016 18:05
I'll always like Alexis because he allowed his friends to film him having sex with his girlfriend from inside a wardrobe. I told my friends they could do the same. They've been waiting inside my wardrobe for two years now...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net