Latest news:

Irish border Jilts
Discussion started by Brian O'Neil , 20 August, 2019 00:34
Irish border Jilts
Brian O'Neil 20 August, 2019 00:34
Cllr Henry Reilly‏ @HenryReillyNOEU

Irish security services doing all day check at the UK-RoI border. They are looking for alcohol, fuel, illegal migrants, tobacco, Irish citizens driving UK registered cars & a range of checks & the EU says there is no Irish border. Its time for EU to get real & do a sensible deal

Re: Irish border Jilts
That's Mr Kilby To You 20 August, 2019 14:57
San Marino, Andorra, Monaco and Lichtenstein are not members of the EU, but there are no hard borders between them and the surrounding member states. The whole Irish border issue is just a smokescreen to try and browbeat us into staying. There has always been a free trade and movement agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland that pre-dates the creation of the EU.

It makes me laugh thinking back to 10 years ago when there was a real push to get Turkey to join the Fourth Reich. Imagine the external borders of the EU encompassing such stable states as Lebanon, Syria and Iraq. The Eurocrats didn’t seem to think it would be a problem, but having an external allegedly hard border with the UK is the end of the world.

Jilted 20 August, 2019 18:02
😂 ffs the Brexiteers who want to keep migrants out want an open border 😂
The Irish will be looking for migrants trying to escape the U.K., while smuggling tatties into the U.K. from Ireland will be rife due to a food ‘famine’ here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2019 18:03 by Jilted.

Jilted 20 August, 2019 18:06
Get those Poles building Hadrians wall 2 now, a beautiful wall to keep Englanders out of gods country for when freeScotland rejoins the EU.

Dave Thomas 20 August, 2019 22:47
But if a free Scotland joins the EU how will Scotland be free.

Jilted 20 August, 2019 23:43
Before the Scottish independence referendum, none of my family or close friends were for independence and hardly anyone I knew were speaking up for it. After the vote I was absolutely shocked that the people of Dundee had actually voted for independence and only then lads down the pub(s) said they were very pro independence.
Now, some of those I found out to be Scottish Nationalists are saying they wouldn’t vote for independence if there were an indyref2 as they want ‘true’ Scottish independence and many of those who were against independence first time round are now saying they would vote for independence to get back into the EU. I’m not sure what to make of it all, I called the outcome wrong last time ( I didn’t expect it to be as close as it was ) but if there is another referendum I’m hoping we wait to see what pans out of Brexit but I think the SNP will want it sooner rather than later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2019 23:45 by Jilted.

Brian O'Neil 21 August, 2019 00:45
Sounds like your kin don't know their arriss from their elbow. The Jocks should be an independent nation but it will not change our relationship. We will have joint interests and co operate as we will with certain parts of the EU.

Jilted 21 August, 2019 08:21
Your kin, Ian Holloway for PM😂

That's Mr Kilby To You 21 August, 2019 14:44
Quote:
Jilted
😂 ffs the Brexiteers who want to keep migrants out want an open border 😂
The Irish will be looking for migrants trying to escape the U.K., while smuggling tatties into the U.K. from Ireland will be rife due to a food ‘famine’ here.

Because we have a Common Travel Area between the UK, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands that pre-dates the EU. There has never been a hard border between the UK and the Republic of Ireland even though the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation keep trying to portray it as something akin to the USA-Mexico border. All parties in the Common Travel Area have strong external border controls, so passport free movement can be maintained between them (One of the reasons why the Republic of Ireland is outside the Schengen Area).

Quote:
History of the Irish Border
Customs controls were introduced on the frontier on 1 April 1923, shortly after the establishment of the Irish Free State. These controls were maintained, with varying degrees of severity, until 1 January 1993, when systematic customs checks were abolished between European Community member states as part of the single market. There are no longer any operational customs posts along either side of the border. Except during a brief period during World War II, it has never been necessary for Irish or British citizens to produce a passport to cross the border. However during the 1970s troubles, security forces regularly asked travellers for identification

So if there is a no deal Brexit people will still be able to travel freely across the border and custom checks could simply be ignored by both parties. It is a situation similar to want happens on the Polish-Belarusian border that EU doesn’t seem to care about, but on the Irish border it is a major issue for some reason.

Jilted 21 August, 2019 22:20
No really easy to be in schengen when there is water all around apart from a wee border with the U.K. who Arnhem in it anyway
As for history dinnae tell my mates who were in the army that there was free travel between Eire and NI during the troubles
I think it’s the Brexiteers who are worried about free borders no the Irish imo. Why bolt the front door while leaving the back one open
Imagine all those Eastern European’s landing in Dublin then walking across into the U.K. to work illegally, Farage wid hae a fit.

Brian O'Neil 23 August, 2019 00:26
Illegal is what they would be and would find life much more difficult in a post brexit Uk. Leaving will expose many diffìculties and produce even further proof of how it was right to have left the eussr.

Jilted 23 August, 2019 09:07
PSNI top cop interview, he’s worried of troubles in NI due to loss of jobs after Brexit, troubles which could be exploited by IRA (and associates). Backstop, Good Friday Agreement, job loses, good luck to the irish, to be sure, to be sure.

ozchippie 23 August, 2019 13:24
3years ago I crossed from Ireland to Wales on the ferry.
We had to show our passports ( red EU type) before we could
leave the terminal.

That's Mr Kilby To You 23 August, 2019 16:33
I know someone who grew up in Londonderry and he said all the big houses on the outskirts of the city, that back onto the border with the Republic of Ireland, are owned by local drug dealers. It is handy for smuggling and also if the police came knocking on the front door they could jump over the back wall and escape into the Republic of Ireland.

Jilted 23 August, 2019 21:13
Quote:
ozchippie
3years ago I crossed from Ireland to Wales on the ferry.
We had to show our passports ( red EU type) before we could
leave the terminal.

Around 25 years ago I travelled by bus from Scotland to Spain (around 50 folk), only one person had to show their passport at Calais and no one at the Spanish border.

Cannot remember correctly, but I’m sure my passport at the time was a paper one (1 year passport) issued at my local post office, there and then, no background checks or nothing.

Brian O'Neil 25 August, 2019 00:53
Pre EU of course Jilts..............contrary to the claptrap churned out daily we did quite well in trading and moving around Europe without the dictates of the Brussels dictators. We have in this country a very long history of being a welcoming home to talented folks from other places and being a pragmatic outward looking nation. I agree with Mr Gallagher , we are one cool nation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net